[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rolling ad&d character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: imageedit_1_4559335157.jpg (179 KB, 784x701) Image search: [Google]
imageedit_1_4559335157.jpg
179 KB, 784x701
So I rolled five constitution, so I can only play an illusionist, but I also rolled five intelligence, so I can only play a fighter. Shall I play a level zero peasant, or shall I lie, and say I rolled straight seventeens? Chaotic neutral btw.
>>
File: imageedit_1_5044027831.jpg (33 KB, 340x307) Image search: [Google]
imageedit_1_5044027831.jpg
33 KB, 340x307
>>44004635
Shameless bump
>>
>>44005092
It's AD&D, carry the torch and die to a kobold, then roll up a new character.
>>
>>44004635
Just play a Fighter? Is it that hard to choose your only option?

Or ask the DM if you can reroll if you really don't want to play a fighter.

What kind of baby are you that you swing toward both of the extremes in response?

>WWAAAAAAHH MY ROLLS WERE SHIT I MIGHT AS WELL PLAY A LEVEL 0 PEASANT

>IF MY ROLLS AREN'T ALL THE GREATEST POSSIBLE THEN ITS NOT WORTH IT

Tell us what the rest of your rolls are
>>
>>44004635
>So I rolled five constitution, so I can only play an illusionist
That doesn't make any sense. Also,
>bawww I rolled a 5

Suck it up and make your character fun.
>>
>>44007656
>so I can only play an illusionist
>That doesn't make any sense

Yeah I was wondering what he was thinking
>>
>>44007656
>>44007686
Because in AD&D 1e all classes EXCEPT Illusionist have a Con requirement of at least six. His five Int also disqualifies him from every class except Fighter. So really he has a character that literally qualifies for no classes.
>>
>>44008091
I was thinking of the class requirements in 2e, my bad.

>literally qualifies for no classes
Which means you reroll. Why are you even asking?

Tell your DM what happened, they won't make you play a Commoner.
>>
>>44008091
What? Where are you getting this from? Most of the classes have no constitution requirement unless they are warrior-types, and have intelligence requirement unless they are wizardy types.
>>
>>44011437
right. and he has neither, so he can be neither a warrior or a wizardy.
>>
>>44014211
What is a thief or cleric?
>>
>>44004635
How is a Unicorn Lawful Good?
Does it always pays its taxes on time?
>>
>>44004635
>rolling for stats
>>44005234
also this
>>
>>44016274
I don't know but that chart i like.
More detail than the normal one.

My last characters alignment was brass dragon blink dogs.
>>
Why bother? House ruled I do this by one of the following four ways I always offered my players:

1. Choose your ability scores! Every player is trusted with developing his character's ability scores by reasonable, interesting yet demanding standards. I actually do have good and honestly the best experiences with this way of handling the question of character creation. (most often used by players)

2. slightly above average results: 4d6D1 adding results up for a pool of ability points freely distributed by the player. (less used)

3. above average results: 3d6+2 adding results up for a pool of ability points freely distributed by the player. (second most often used)

4. hardcore: 3d6 adding results up for a pool of ability points freely distributed by the player. (was never picked)
>>
>>44022257
>Option 1: literally "DM may I?"
>Options 2-4: Min-maxing bait
3d6 straight down, no exceptions. If you don't qualify for any classes except Commoner, git gud at playing a Commoner.
>>
>>44022367
>straight down
>lol I'm the DM fuck your character concept
Low power is fine, but at least let me play the character idea I had.
>>
>>44004635
either re-roll or go with the "all mid" and give yourself all 10-13 (i dont remmber the forumal but i think it was 1x13 1x12 2x11 and 2x10 or something)
>>
>>44022367

Maybe this depends on what ppl u play with. True, it could be used to min-max, but this is not automatic by design itself. One could and with proper roleplaying in mind should worsen some things concerning ability scores to make the character interesting. And THIS is exactly what I experienced with method 1 mostly. In my mind this encourages players to think and play with the idea behind their characters by far the most.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.