[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Want to make a weird fantasy setting with no humans >Don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12
File: Literally A Penguin.jpg (128 KB, 500x575) Image search: [Google]
Literally A Penguin.jpg
128 KB, 500x575
>Want to make a weird fantasy setting with no humans
>Don't want to make generic furry bait
What do?
>>
>>43998535
Focus on the beast, not the man.
>>
>>43998535
In my case:
>all of the above
>Also don't want any races that are too alien and so 'original' that nobody feels any connection to or even remembers them

Now this is a problem. So I'm trying my very best to keep animal-races as furryless as possible and put a twist on gnomes and goblins and that shit.
>>
>>43998535
Avoid wolf-men. Maybe avoid mammals altogether.
>>
>>43998540
Best advice.

Alternatively. Make it element men. Minor treants, rockmen, men made of ice. Creatures of ash and flame, of water and foam. The whispy unknowable scholars of wind and cloud.
>>
>>43998535
prepare for shitstorm and being hard to shut furry shit down.
otherwise?
Take a animal, imagine how the world would be if they evolved into humans - making them "hairless" like us would also probably help getting rid of the worst of the freaks
>>
>>43998555
I agree with that too. At first I wanted to go for really strange races but after looking up some pictures all of the truly weird stuff looked so weird that it did not appeal to me at a fundamental level.

I feel like going for unaltered animal races and pseudognomes is a cop out though. Not sure what's the alternative.
>>
>>43998535
Isn't pic related a really good example?

It's spaghetti western but with penguins.

Other examples: Mouse Guard and Engine Heart.
>>
>>43998535
A century after the mass extinction of the human race, the tools and objects left behind awaken as Tsukumogami and attempt to pick up the pieces of civilization.

Kind of like Engine Heart, but more fantasy-oriented and more weeb, I suppose?
>>
>>43998605
It appears that I've been unclear. Sorry. I was thinking of a setting with many different sapient species. Ones which are not necessarily just birdmen or what have you.
>>
>>43998540
/thread
It's not furry for having animals, it's furry for focusing on sexualized anthropomorphism.
>>
File: image.jpg (296 KB, 998x1174) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
296 KB, 998x1174
>not wanting to go full alien
Go big or go home
>>
>>43998535
You won't ever make a halfway decent fantasy setting. You're too dumb and unimaginative.
>>
>>43998687
L..lewd..
>>
>>43998584
This is a subject very dear to my heart, since I want good, original yet memorable races.
So I'll share my list of races that I really like to have in my setting:

>Humans, but you probably don't care about those
>Satyrs, closest to humans. They are not just a nature-race but have a society based around art, philosophy, democracy... Basically a romantic version of ancient Greeks.
They are the only race that can cross-breed with humans, yet their offspring are weak, deformed and are considered mystical seers at best, abominations at worst
>Goblins (I call them Kobolds because it fits in Dutch, but they're not little lizards). Their main feats are fast reproduction, deadly curiosity and biological immortality. This results in the majority of young goblins being dumb, impulsive and dangerous, so they'll die almost always of unnatural causes because of their own recklessness. However, the very few goblins who manage to not get themselves killed will grow very old and very wise. So you will often have a horde of dumb grunts led by an intelligent shaman.
>Octopuses (as described extensively in a previous thread), are just actual octopuses. They have a great kingdom under the sea but will often come on land. They are very cold and businesslike, trying to avoid other races if they don't have no mutual interests.

Feel free to give any feedback, even if it's just shitting all over my shit.
>>
>>43998699
You will never be happy in life. You are too shallow and unlikeable.
>>
>>43998535
its depends of what do you want to do, it isnt just
No humans.

For example mouse guard its isnt cool because "we are playing animals" but "because we are playing mice with swords in a world in wich every fucking animal bigger than then is a mitical creature.
To mice an owl is a dragon.
Its a nice way of doing epic shit.
>>
>>43998710
This is not a dig at you but
>Octopuses are just actual octopuses.
>They have a great kingdom under the sea but will often come on land.
made me laugh.
>>
>>43998716
Incorrect. OP, however, thinks he can make a fantasy setting without humans, while being unsure how not to make it furry shit. That's some sad-ass shit.
>>
File: 1441393095810.jpg (86 KB, 732x448) Image search: [Google]
1441393095810.jpg
86 KB, 732x448
>>43998729
I'm aware it's rather dumb at first glance, but I saw pic related and the idea gradually forced its way into my mind and then into my setting.

It helps that their not antropomorphs so I can avoid the furry theme, but of course I'm afraid someone will focus too heavily on the tentacles...
>>
>>43998727
On a very basic level I'm trying to make a game where race-as-class makes a lot of sense because the races are very different from one another. This gave me the image of an early age Mesopotamia with its dozens of different city states ruled by warmongering warlords but with each city state populated by different humanoids. Some city states have come to rule over others so there are various factions comprising different races.
>>
>>43998738
But just calling people shit instead of trying to brainstorm along or not post at all is even more sad.
>>
Everyone is an amoeba.
>>
>>43998738
There are basically no settings where the races aren't "animal X but HUMANOID! (also possibly with a few small changes)". There is some literature with truly strange aliens but almost by their nature they do not work as player characters. If this is easy then please point me to someone who has succeeded at doing so.
>>
>>43998806
>There are basically no settings where the races aren't "animal X but HUMANOID!
I think what you mean is "there are no D&D settings where etc.", you uneducated faget.
>>
>>43998628

Weasels, otters, many birds, etc, are all sapient in Mouse Guard so I have no idea what your post even means.
>>
>>43998815
Okay, name 'em.
>>
>>43998771

>I'm afraid someone will

This is where I start laughing or getting intensely frustrated with anti-furries.

So fucking what. Seriously. Just... just stop. Stop caring so much. Stop being so invested in what someone, somewhere, might maybe jerk off to at some point maybe and then fuck, I don't know, save the semen in a jar and bring and rub it all over your face, pressed against you in your bed, softly whispering to you their endless, heartfelt thanks because you provided them with just the right tentacles, crooning slowly as you weep silently, unable to move from sheer terror, your entire world a shaking, broken ruin because someone got off on something you didn't intend in your creation.
>>
Just make what you want and don't worry about it being too furry.

Whatever race you come up with, someone will want to fuck it. To someone >>43998687 is super fuckable. If you hold your fiction back because someone out there might get a boner to it, your going to be unable to write anything.

And even if they do get boners from your races, as long as that shit doesn't make it to the table everything is fine.
>>
>>43998836

Not him, but Mechanical Dream is a genuinely bizarre and surreal fantasy setting with a lot of depth and breadth and no 'animal x but HUMANOID'. The system is... troubled, though.
>>
>>43998854
OP here rather than the guy you're responding to but I'd like to address this since I've raised this topic. All I meant by the furry comment is that I think races heavily based on animals are really boring.
>>
>>43998882

Oh, absolutely. I wasn't replying to you at all. It's the quavering/irate 'but someone might be AROUSED' that really gets me. I'm with you a hundred percent on the trying to make a non-human fantasy setting being a challenge.

The unfortunate truth is that it's just not worth it most of the time. You'll put together this intensely weird and bizarre collection of species, with ecosystems and cultures that mirror very little of our own experiences and after a few sessions it'll get mired down again. It's a great thought experiment, and doing it will help you create better settings with more generic tools, but following through all the way is little more than a fun little hobby (which it is, and which you should totally indulge in! Maybe something with plants? Those are fucking weird).
>>
>>43998868
I'm not familiar with the game but from a quick google search the playable races appear to be humans with funny heads and/or feet. Is my impression wrong?
>>
>>43998854
>>43998917
Yeah, I get your anger and I've might've overstated my case. I have one particular player in mind who could bring it up during our game and I would be annoyed by that.
But I'm not trying to start an anti-furry campaign, I'm also here for the thought experiment and I like races that go beyond being just animal-men.

>after a few sessions it'll get mired down again
I do bring the same races to different settings, so in my book, the thought experiment is worth it.
>>
>>43998687
Love Barlowe, but he really had no clue how big the balloon for a balloon animal would need to be
>>
>>43998958

What makes humans human is not their physiology. Opposable thumbs inform our world, sure, but they don't define our minds. Mechanical Dream dramatically alters a lot of the most basic rules of reality and tries to carry those changes to their logical conclusions. Physiologically, though, the races absolutely are just weird looking humanoids. Trying for bizarre bodies is, I feel, pretty superfluous.
>>
>>43999046
The larger the creature, the smaller in proportion to the creature it would need to be.

It's an exponential rise in buoyancy.
>>
>>43999087
Fucking what?
>>
>>43999077
I can see where you are coming from. One of the reasons I'm going for bizarre bodies is the desire to pair race and class in a very physical manner. This way you can treat things like, say, wings or crab-like claws with far more detail.
See:
>>43998778
>>
>>43999120
Basically, if you took a baloon, then double it's surface area, you would have a lot more than double the lift.
>>
>>43999223
If you take a creature, then double its surface area, you have a lot more than double the weight.
>>
>>43999237
Unless it's a membrane to hold in the gas for it's baloon?

Try not to be like the people who think that insects respiratory system is why they got smaller.
>>
>>43999262
cont.
Just to be clear, there's a point (around 1.5 meters) where it's big enough that it can hold a massive amount more weight than it's size.

Assuming the animal can somehow produce hydrogen gas.
>>
>>43998535
You could try using less conventionally 'furry' animals as your starting point.
Like pelicans. Never seen furry art for one of those.
Actually thinking about it I can't say I've seen much furry art for any kind of bird. Maybe it's a property of the eyes?
>>
>>43999262
The implication is that there's a solid creature attached to the membrane containing the gas.
>>
>>43999280
Sounds like some furry vore niche to me. I won't be the one to google it.
>>
>>43999271
>>43999262
>>43999046
Balloon animals are a pretty neat idea. Instead of making something which flies you could make a relatively heavy creature which relies on gas to stay upright, moving itself along the floor with, say, sloth-like arms.
>>
>>43999283
Yes, and?

To limit the stress on the body parts (probably cartilage or chitin or something hard) that attach it, it could ride on top of the baloon, as long as it spread it out some. (spherical would have a hard time with the balance)

It could never evolve, but it could exist.
>>
>>43998535
Just don't make a big fuss of it being non-human. Like treat it like it's totally normal and put a strict 'no fucking erp' rule in place at least at first.
>>
>>43999313
Just got to fill an animal with hundreds of gallons of explosive gas and you're good to go.
>>
>>43998535
what is Redwall?
>>
File: characters.jpg (45 KB, 520x291) Image search: [Google]
characters.jpg
45 KB, 520x291
>>43999319
This. If that's just how the world is, there's no real reason to draw attention to them being anthropomorphic animals or something.
>>
>>43998535
If everybody in your group either A) won't play a setting with only beast races or B) starts ERPing in a setting with only beast races, you need to find a new group, plain and simple.

And if they don't have those problems, make them walking, talking animals, who gives a fuck?
>>
>>43998535
High fantasy/High magic or something inbetween?

Meta-zombie campaign.

Dead world is dead. Society died a long time ago to a massive world-spanning war, maybe the gods decided to wipe every sentient out and cursed them with undeath. Dessicated mummy-like flesh, not rotting corpses, animated and free willed. They can't really really die, and if anyone is "killed" they just wake up back into existence a decade or so later at the original spot where they died during the war.

Gods are pissed, people are trying to figure out wat do, to keep the ball rolling, cus if the gods really wanted to end them, they would have done so, so perhaps the whole theme would be repentance and atonement vs people who gave up, or said "fuck the gods".
>>
>>43998540

Basically this. Think Watership Down.
>>
>>43999464
Ecology is fucked, vicious animas and hardy flora and might have devolved into exotic dangerous species, everything is predatorial. Sky almost always overcast or stormy, depressing setting.
>>
>>43999364
>TFW Overgrowth will never see release.
>>
>>43999294
man fuck furries and everything about them
>>
>>43998535
Take talistanta.
Select the wakiest races, don't include the pseudohumans/pseudoelves that occupy most of the setting.
Also exclude the few animal people that are there.
Rework a little the races that are left.
Enjoy your trippy setting.
>>
>>43998535
>What do?
Moomins.
>>
>>43999280
Pic related, there you go

Also, I'm a furfag, specifically one that prefers avians and there is as much out there of them as any other species (other than the really fucking popular ones, like wolves and foxes I guess).

As others have said, furfags will furfag whether you try to keep the setting fur-free or not, eventually someone will probably sexualize any race you come up with.

As with some fandoms, some of us will fuck up your shit no matter what you do while the rest of us sit back and wish the others weren't so stupid.
>>
>>43998786
I'm sure I've heard of a game that does this.
>>
>>43998868
Does anyone have a PDF of this? From what I've read about it, it is everything I've ever wanted from fantasy gaming.
>>
>>44001072
>Also I'm a furfag

*BLAM*
>>
File: osmosisjones.jpg (130 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
osmosisjones.jpg
130 KB, 1024x576
>>43998786
>>
File: 1448171221376.jpg (66 KB, 491x434) Image search: [Google]
1448171221376.jpg
66 KB, 491x434
>>44001473
Ohhh, edgy, I bet you're the coolest kid in high school
>>
>>43998535
I'd second >>43998571

Go for Elementals. It gives you a lot of freedom in terms of shape, personality, and culture.
>>
File: Ror.jpg (31 KB, 360x315) Image search: [Google]
Ror.jpg
31 KB, 360x315
>>44001991
>He is a newfag that doesn't know about the "HERESY! *BLAM*" meme
>Is also a fucking furfag

YOU *CANNOT* MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
>>43998571
That sounds cool as fuck.
>>
>>43998535
Slugmen
They all move hilariously slowly
make this the dominant race in your setting.
>>
>>44002986
What is 'Yoon-Suinn'
>>
>>44003179
A criminally underrated game.
>>
File: castle.png (4 MB, 1044x1682) Image search: [Google]
castle.png
4 MB, 1044x1682
>>
>>44005081
Love this.
>>
>>43998540
Furries fap to that too though.
>>
>>44007000
Probably, though it's more than likely a minority than anything else. Anyone attracted to that will be small in number and won't exclusively be furry.

Problem solved.
>>
>>44005190
Enjoy!
>>
>>44007000
It depends. Most of the unsavory furfags that makes /tg/'s blood boil are aroused by heavily sexual (an more often than not over humanized) caricatures.

Others are just guys who prefer the idea of a sapient, bestial race like someone preferring swords over guns.
>>
>>44005081
That is actually an amazing idea. Though I'd think living inside an anthropomorphic building could get very surreal.
>>
>>44007433
>Though I'd think living inside an anthropomorphic building could get very surreal.

Check out Basphiark Civilization Quest for more exploration of this concept. They are living cathedrals that look like sphinxes.
>>
>>44005081
How do I have sex with it?
>>
>>44007768
You'll be the one on bottom.
>>
File: 001.png (644 KB, 660x554) Image search: [Google]
001.png
644 KB, 660x554
>>44005081
>>
>>43998535
>>Want to make a weird fantasy setting with no humans

Make plant-machine hybrids.
>>
>>43998535
Simple: Fuck with humans. That's what I did. Fuck with their biology. They'll still be humanoid, but they can't consume solid foods, reproduce asexually, are incredibly long-lived, and have a complex biological learning system that changes them as they age.

Alternatively, anthro-ize non-mammals, as has been said. I made fish and frogmen a reality, as well as dragonmen that are less dragonborn and more small, bipedal dragons.
>>
>>43998540
What does that even mean
People say that shit all the time
>>
File: Witan.jpg (109 KB, 699x448) Image search: [Google]
Witan.jpg
109 KB, 699x448
>>43998535
>>
>>43998785
Welcome to the internet, dipshit.
>>
>>43998535
How about spirits?
>>
>>44007433
You'd be one of either the building-creature's antibodies (protecting the inside from invaders), or it'd be similar to a beehive-cum-queen creating drones, soldiers etc, to work for the good of the entire group and you'd be one of those children.
>>
>>44013709
See >>44007544
>>
File: gg1.png (799 KB, 1095x730) Image search: [Google]
gg1.png
799 KB, 1095x730
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.