[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /tg/ how do you justify small races being able to do thing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Ratling.jpg (347 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Ratling.jpg
347 KB, 1920x1080
So /tg/ how do you justify small races being able to do thing like be warriors or combat-classes in general?

I'm a really big fan of kobolds, skaven-like rat people among others, but realistically the small races wouldn't be able to compete in the slightest with even human sized creatures, much less greater things like ogres or trolls.

How do you do it? Is it better to simply restrict their class selection instead of trying to justify and gimp a game's system with realism issues?
>>
File: 211420_2015-08-10_00014.png (994 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
211420_2015-08-10_00014.png
994 KB, 1366x768
>>43996471

>realism issues

How about you play a game like Dragon' Dogma, Dark Souls, or Shadow of the Colossus.

Then you'll realize height isn't an issue.
>>
>>43996514
>manlet_tries_to_justify_existence.post
>>
>>43996471
Realistically, nothing in a fantasy setting even exists.

On a more constructive note, smaller frames does not equal weaker beings. In fact, it actually tends to result in higher muscle density. Muscles work by constricting and relaxing; shorter builds result in a shorter distance muscles need to contract. Therefore, the same muscle mass would have greater output on a shorter frame than a large one.
However, shorter races have shorter muscles, so it evens out.
>>
>>43996520

I'm over six feet tall, though.

I just think OP's argument is extremely retarded.
>>
Most warriors don't train specifically to block ankles and toes.
>>
Similar to what this anon said >>43996524
Most animals can recruit more muscle fibers in their movements aince they have less control over them, that's why chimps are so fast and strong for example.
>>
>>43996539

>Be 6'1
>Be king of the manlets
>>
>>43996471
Smaller races simply have to fight differently. They're probably not going to be using clubs or maces effectively but they can use spears and shorter weapons to great effect.

A Warrior kobold would probably fight a little more like a rogue than a human warrior would.
>>
>>43996601
>thinks 6'2"-6'4" aren't manlets
>topkek
>>
>>43996471
Are you actually retarded and/or autistic? Legit question.
>>
>>43996684

>anything below 7'0
>not a manlet

So many Napoleons here.
>>
>>43996684
6'3" here. Manlet is definitely more a state of mind than anything. Generally impatient, aggressive, always trying to fucking prove something. I mean, they're productive and all but fucking shit are they annoying.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 500x635) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 500x635
>anything below 8'6"
>not a manlet

Oh I'm sorry. Didn't know I was in a thread of fucking hobbits and toddlers. Say, how about you work out your tippy toes and get into dick sucking position, mini-fags.
>>
Should Manlet be a Disadvantage in all games systems to better represent reality?

What sort of negative aspects would it bestow.
>>
>>43996751
How about those bone problems, talls?

Pic related also died at age 22 so...
>>
>>43996471
>I'm a really big fan of kobolds
>wouldn't be able to compete in the slightest
Kobolds tend to attack by ambush.
Also if you actually look at any modules and stuff like that if there's kobolds involved then 9/10 times they're loaded up with and packing burning oil.
Was DMing a game about a month ago.
Low level shenanigans
Murder Hobos are dispatched to wipe out a kobold camp
Players lol cause kobolds
I played kobolds like kobolds
Warned players ahead of time I let the dice rule out combat situations 100% of the time. I don't fudge results.
4/6 players died quick for playing like WoW characters.
Tank rushes into 2 of them.
I guess he was expecting them to all rush into him and try to hand axe a plated up warrior to death.
He caught a bottle to the faceplate and was set ablaze
Cleric runs up to heal tank and gets it as well
2h fighter gets swarmed
The rest flee
Rogue gets javelins to the back as does Archer rogue
Wizard dropped that invisibility the second the tank got lit up
Drood got away
>How do you do it?
Just like I described. They're usually a monster description. Kobolds know they're not gonna tank anything and fight head on. The MM even states their preferred tactics.
Go download DDO. In the 3rd questing area there's a mission to clean out an old prison complex infested with kobolds.
Multi floored mind you.
You see kobold tactics in action.
At least as much as the AI of that game can play.
Little fire chucking and spear bastards.....From everywhere. Above and below. 1-20 at a time.
>>
>>43996471
So /tg/ how do you justify medium races being able to do thing like be warriors or combat-classes in general?

I'm a really big fan of humans, gnoll-like hyena people among others, but realistically the small races wouldn't be able to compete in the slightest with even large sized creatures, much less greater things like giants or dragons.

How do you do it? Is it better to simply restrict their class selection instead of trying to justify and gimp a game's system with realism issues?
>>
>>43996471
While they'll never equal the strongest of medium sized races, they'll still be pretty strong. Why the hell shouldn't they be warriors?
>>
>>43996471
because they're smaller than humans in the same way humans are smaller than dragons
how hard was that?
>>
>>43996471

Numbers. 40 kobolds with daggers fighting off a by their standards giant human soldier is a sight to behold.
>>
>>43996471
There are apes in real life who are stronger than humans while being shorter.
It's not so far-fetched to have small races without a STR penalty. They might lose a foot of reach at most, but that's what spears are for.
>>
>>43996471
Half the size
Twice the mad
>>
Same way we deal with giant people.

Build robots to punch them at mach speed.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.