[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WORLD BUILDING THREAD Lets make a fantasy world from scratch.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: Un.png (527 KB, 1209x405) Image search: [Google]
Un.png
527 KB, 1209x405
WORLD BUILDING THREAD
Lets make a fantasy world from scratch.

This is an example map with two art styles.

First thing to decide is what the world looks like.

>First post picks an art style, and then continent number and shape. You can pick this map if you want.
>>
>>43995234
>>
>>43995271
Ok, now continent number and shape
>>
>>43995288
Five major continents in relatively natural positions/shapes. One of them in centered on the north pole though.

Some minor "continents" (see Australia) inbetween. A fairly sizeable number of islands. A little more than Earth. To make up for these two things continents are also a little smaller than on Earth.
>>
File: Untitled.png (435 KB, 1413x1059) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
435 KB, 1413x1059
>>43995351
Now we need to think about climate, habitable zone and any interesting weather patterns
>>
>>43995555
The world, through some magic/astronomic phenomenon, has a highly unusual system of climates.

With the coldest point being the South Pole and the warmest being the North. Everything in between is a gradient like we see on Earth between the poles and the tropics.

The South Pole is massively glaciated like the North Pole on Earth.

I would need to see it on a globe homehow to determine the exact nature of the North Pole, but from what I can see it would be largely rainforest with an intensely arid/hot rainshadow desert beyond the ring of mountains.
>>
File: Untitled.png (432 KB, 1413x1060) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
432 KB, 1413x1060
>>43995684
Added trees to match this idea. Next we need to think about inhabitants and wildlife, origin myths, etc.
>>
File: Untitled.png (826 KB, 1576x1405) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
826 KB, 1576x1405
>>43995874
>>43995684
Spherical projection of north pole
>>
I can't add anymore because I have to sleep/I don't want to be the only one working on it.

But if you could make the mountains around the centre of the north pole a little more complete as a ring that would be great.
>>
>>43995684
North Pole is named Hyperborea, ringed by mountains (maybe 2 semicircular mountain ranges), and a desert where the horse latitude would be. The center would be a steamy jungle where the sun shines hard and hot. Maybe gigantic vegetation growth right on the north pole?
>>
>>43996181
An ancient ruin/entrance to the inner Earth.

>Ancient aliens/Nazi occultism: The Planet/Setting
>>
File: heildelbergensis 3 lip2.jpg (360 KB, 1600x1013) Image search: [Google]
heildelbergensis 3 lip2.jpg
360 KB, 1600x1013
Okay, here's my basic rundown of races.

Feel free to add anything you like

>Humans. Red. Culturally diverse, expansive, and generally fairly normal as far fantasy tropes go. Lots of smaller human nations away from the human heartland.

>Dwarfs. Blue. Interesting symbiosis with humans, except in a few places. Live in the mountains and in caves, largely can't grow their own food. Trade with humans for just about everything. Knuckle walking and ape-like. There's this one concept image floating around /tg/ that I don't have saved on this computer that illustrates it. Otherwise pretty normal dorfs. Celtic inspired. Most aren't actually that much smaller than humanity, but difference in stance/mass distribution means they're generally never at eye level.

>Elves. Purple. Live in a large cultural homogeneous empire, though they have a very stratified social system which results in a lot of subcultures. Have a unique developmental cycle, kinda like reptiles. Grow to physical maturity at around age 15, but continue to grow in size until they die at around 300-400. This means that they actually encompass halflings, elves, and giants in terms of size. Many die in accidents/diseases/violence before they get to giant sizes so they're highly respected. Highest level of technology, around 15-16th centuries. Full plate/crossbows. No guns though.

>"Orcs". Orange. Not really your traditional orc, more like feral cavemen. Savage, brutish, and extremely behind technologically. Largely tribal. Used to be a serious problem for humanity, one of their main predators/competition, but as humanity developed they were left behind. Now a pest, they cause lots of problems by eating wildlife and harassing outlying settlements. Can somehow be found where-ever humanity is. Pic related is how I picture them. Larger and stronger than humans, with more robust physiology.
>>
File: map.png (450 KB, 1413x1060) Image search: [Google]
map.png
450 KB, 1413x1060
>>43996531
Oh shit. I fucking forgot to post the map.
>>
File: neanderthal-4.jpg (60 KB, 449x600) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal-4.jpg
60 KB, 449x600
>>43996540
Alternative "evil bigfoot" orc.

Look up "neanderthal predation theory" if you want my inspiration for them.
>>
>>43995555
What are you using to make this? Is this by hand?
>>
>>43997845
Seconding
>>
>>43996540
I like it, it'd be cool if we could flesh out that main continent. Seems like a lot of cool shit would have gone down in the history of that place.
>>
Alright /tg/, rate my setting elevator pitch. If it raises any important questions, ask away.

>The earth is actually about 2-3 times the surface area we think of it has
>This additional size is contained within areas of folded space, ranging from vast gulfs to small pockets (I'm going to assume that most of us are familiar with the various thought experiments and analogy's for attempting to conceive higher dimensional spaces)
>These pockets, due to their extra dimensional nature, are not easy to spot, or to traverse, as it entails seeing two things occupying once space, and essentially turning in a direction that wouldn't otherwise exist.
>As follows, much of the earths surface is not infact explored.
>For those with eyes to see, lie waiting unknown country, the secret undercitys hidden just around the corner, and the deep hidden places in the world.
>>
>>44001035
wrong thread
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.