[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things You Want To See
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8
/tg/, what is a genre or feature which is rare, but you would like to see more of in RPG's. For me, detailed generation of gods and monsters is useful but very rare in practice. You also very rarely see science-fantasy as an explored genre.
>>
File: my_trip_to_thailand.png (642 KB, 364x750) Image search: [Google]
my_trip_to_thailand.png
642 KB, 364x750
>>43992073
>'Pataphysical literature

>mythpunk

>Afrofuturism
>>
Mechanically complex and competent systems which focus on narrative mechanics and genre simulation over attempts at authenticity or realism. I love Legends of the Wulin, the best example so far, but I'd love to see other games take different approaches to the same design space.
>>
>>43992073
Here's some nice art to keep the thread afloat. This is one of my favorite interpretations of the god Saturn.
>>
>>43992124
Further Saturns for the approaching Saturnalia.
>>
File: Piter1.jpg (90 KB, 1364x566) Image search: [Google]
Piter1.jpg
90 KB, 1364x566
I want more Dune references in RPGs.
>>
>>43992115
Could you expound a bit on your seemingly-made-up 10-dollar words?
>>
>>43992170
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'Pataphysics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk_derivatives#Mythpunk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrofuturism
>>
>>43992217

WE
>>
>>43992251
ARE THE CRYSTAL GEMS
AM I DOING IT RIGHT?
>>
>>43992272
There's another missing thing: jovial body horror. Just because you are a wretched abomination of flesh and bone doesn't mean you can't be happy about it.
>>
>>43992272

I was thinking more about how afrocentrists think that they were Europeans kings, and how they have to attribute the success of other cultures do their own.

I mean, every culture does that to a degree, but it's especially egregious with afrocentrists.
>>
>>43992267
Well, sure, but I'm not quite sure if that's a feature or more a safety precaution.
>>
>>43992302
Every culture is probably equally egregious, that's why we need other cultures to call us out on our own stupidity.
>>
File: 1449020331381.jpg (210 KB, 1400x1407) Image search: [Google]
1449020331381.jpg
210 KB, 1400x1407
Things which are individually unremarkable but become horrifying together. Like ammonia and bleach or swastikas outside of Asia or lithium, water and a lighter. Pic marginally related.
>>
I'd like to see more magitech that isn't just reskinned modern technology and/or a flimsy excuse for cool giant robots. Stuff that feels like the product of genuinely different physical modes, genuinely otherworldly.

Relatedly, I'd like to see more of magic as a sort of craft. Back in the middle ages, for example, ironworking was seen as at least partly magical; this is why horseshoes were thought to be lucky and ward away elves. There's not a whole lot of stuff like that in fantasy, and I'd like to see more.
>>
>>43992073
The thing is, generation of monsters and gods are normally outside generators. I find it sad that actuallyeldritch creatures and gods arent that common, stuff like biblic angels and indian monsters.

I miss single player generation of quests and things for rpgs, a system that left someone go making a world while alone he walked around. Sometimes you want to play something alone that isnt a video game or cards. I bete there is a way o do it and something like that already around that someone with time made, but finding any single player material for rpgs and board games is hard.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.