[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would playing Epic be like if you used regular 40k models
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 2878134-7681461831-IG_ar[1].jpg (146 KB, 874x461) Image search: [Google]
2878134-7681461831-IG_ar[1].jpg
146 KB, 874x461
How would playing Epic be like if you used regular 40k models instead ? Beside stupid.

Would be more unwieldy than Apocalypse or less ?
>>
Well considering that a basic epic scale space marine battle company clocks in at just over 1000 points and that their transports are all included in that price for free, AND that a typical game of Epic is anywhere from 2000 to 5000 points... You'd need to
A) be a drug dealer to pay for all your plastic crack and
B) Have an additional house to use the floorspace as a gaming table.
>>
>>43987081
>A) be a drug dealer to pay for all your plastic crack and
>B) Have an additional house to use the floorspace as a gaming table.
Regular 40K is getting there.
>>
>>43986845
You do not have enough space for that, sorry.
If you try to cram it all on a regular size table you end up having the same problem 40k has.

But let us say you did, I think it would be a "fast play" way to enjoy apocalypse games.
>>
File: Epic battle.jpg (126 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Epic battle.jpg
126 KB, 800x600
What makes Epic play very differently is that there’s a lot of available space in which to move. You can squeeze your company of 10 Leman Russ tanks through a gap between hills to get behind an opponent’s formation, and you can move a Warlord titan into cover or out of an opposing titan’s range. You can drop pod in a detachment of space marines behind enemy lines such that they’re only exposed to minimal fire and can hang out until another friendly detachment launches an assault that they can support. You really need that open space on the table.

Technically, you could use Epic rules with 28mm infantry if you pretended a single mini represented a full squad. Bases would have to overlap a bit to count as base-to-base per Epic rules. But anything larger than a basic infantry model wouldn’t work at all because they’re larger than the 6mm-mini-plus-5cm-zone-of-control. So there’s your real reason for not doing it. You’re better off using chits or abstract markers.

The good news is you could fit four 28mm Epic battles on a tennis court.
>>
>>43986845
Apocalypse represents what would be a single assault in Epic, albeit a very large one. There's no expectation of room to maneuver in Apoc.
>>
File: Fellblade_SQ_zps735598a1.jpg (139 KB, 720x393) Image search: [Google]
Fellblade_SQ_zps735598a1.jpg
139 KB, 720x393
Dang, most Epic threads last a little longer before burning out.
>>
>>43990100
Maybe we should get some VASSAL games going.
>>
>>43988478
How big a table would you need to fit one 28mm model Epic battle?
>>
File: luggan10.jpg (169 KB, 800x554) Image search: [Google]
luggan10.jpg
169 KB, 800x554
>>43990100

I this thread burned out?
Was it an epic thread to begin with?

Maybe we should make it one?
>>
>>43991515

Do you have an empty gymnasium?
>>
>>43991732
Yes
>>
>>43988478
My favorite thing about epic really is just how much free space there is on the board. It really makes long ranges, battle lines, and transports seem a lot more useful.
>>
>>43991829
It really allows for sweeping game changing moves to happen during a single turn.

Very few games have such a dynamic, I fucking love it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.