[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /tg/, I'm sure this question has been asked before but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14
hey /tg/, I'm sure this question has been asked before but what system would you use to run a transformers game? I found a homebrewed thing by searching on google but it felt too...mechanics heavy, and combat oriented. I'm really just looking for a game that manages to divide a character in half, and each side has access to different abilities and are not neccessarily equal.
>>
>>43980756
Like I want something where the robot mode and alt mode are separate, and the characters can do different things depending on their mode.
>>
I can recommend a few options:

>Mutants & Masterminds (or another superhero system)
These usually have lots of options for "alternate form" powers, where your character switches between two forms and has different powers in each form.

>GURPS
Yeah, I know. Still a valid response. Probably not a very good one, though.

>I can't remember what the third suggestion was going to be
>>
>>43980834
I've already considered M&M, but i'm not sure how to properly divide away the alt mode power options. best I could come up with was slap it all into a "device" and then...the value of the drawback grows the longer it takes to change modes or something.
>>
File: kr1H04U[1].png (50 KB, 686x636) Image search: [Google]
kr1H04U[1].png
50 KB, 686x636
>>43980756
Not sure if Chromestrike is transformers like, I think it's more akin to gundam in a sense that you play humans IN robots.

Otto bots are not for serious.

Mechamorphosis is pretty baller apparently.

And of course, actual tf system, which one you want?
>>
>>43980834
I'm not sure how a Transformers game would go (I assume sorta like supers?), but GURPS could do the playing part more than well enough. It's also got an "alternate form" advantage, and playing supers is pretty swell.
On the other hand, actually spending the bazillion points on superpowers is a fucking chore, not to mention balacing on the GM's side with all the crazy HP/armor/damage values he's going to read on the char sheets.
>>
>>43980881
i'm torn, can you throw up the proper transformers rpg AND otto bots? Like i'm just curious about the latter.
>>43980884
I'm actually planning to run a less mechanics/combat oriented game, and more beer & pretzels + problem solving. Like i'm taking a lot of inspiration from the new IDW comics that are less action-packed than the shows.
>>
>>43980884
Doesn't GURPS has an option to change scale? Like, if all the characters are giant transforming robots, instead of having ST 100 they simply have ST 10 in giant robot scale.
>>
File: Ottomanbots, Assemble!.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Ottomanbots, Assemble!.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43980921
This is Otto bots...
>>
File: Transformers Expanded Edition.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Transformers Expanded Edition.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43980921
>>43980945
.... And this is Transformers
>>
>>43980956
>proto-fate transformers
FUKKEN SOLD, thanks a million man.

If anyone cares, I may be advertising a game of this where you play decepticon losers guarding a hidden energon refinery, so look for me in the game finders!
>>
File: GURPS scaling damage.png (68 KB, 412x393) Image search: [Google]
GURPS scaling damage.png
68 KB, 412x393
>>43980921
Well then, GURPS' not really for you unless you just want the stupid sexy 3d6 curve and for that you can just use Ultralite, it's free. But eh.
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/ultra-lite/

>>43980926
Yeah, off the Basic Set.
I think Spaceships talk about it a bit more.
>>
>>43980971
I'd definitely play, but I ain't got fucking time. Nor the knowledge about tf setting to try.
>>
>>43980992
I'd recommend torrenting and reading through the mainline/MTMTE/RID IDW comics to anyone, they're a great redo of the series.
>>
>>43981006
>mainline/MTMTE/RID IDW

T-Thanks.

Don't use shortcuts man the fuck you mean by those few letter words that don't form actual words.

And I just remembered, Mechamorphosis has some art that was made by dudes who worked on tf comics as well I believe, not exactly sure.
>>
>>43981029
sorry, IDW is the comic publisher, more than meets the eye is Rodimus and autobot rejects adventures in space, and then robots in disguise is optimus prime being a moody asshole.
>>
>>43981082
Actually just read MTME, the other series are kinda shitty.
>>
File: Keywords.png (177 KB, 812x679) Image search: [Google]
Keywords.png
177 KB, 812x679
>>43980921
Personally, I'd be tempted to use HeroQuest, but that's just my system of preference.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9oqd1w8pkqgku1h/Heroquest+RPG+2E.pdf

I could easily see a transformer character having tree keywords. Faction, function, and... f-altmode.

So you could have, say:

Starscream
Decepticon 17
Treacherous +2
Arrogant +2
Bully +1

Air Commander 19
Thundercracker (Follower) +1
Skywarp (Follower) +1

Fighter Jet 5W
Can reach Mach 2.8 +4
Null rays +3

Flaw: Coward 9W
>>
>>43981098
I dunno, half the time RID can be enjoyable. I like seeing the cons working with the humans to make their commune. It's just when it gets interrupted for Optimus to become a tyrant, it gets frustrating.
>>
>>43981126
My problems are a lot more nitpicky. Like for one thing I fucking hate Wheelie. The other thing is I don't like how Orion Pax isn't actually that different from Optimus Prime, like maybe he's just a bit more of an asshole but he's still doing the same shit basically. In the end I think MTMTE is better because the cast is so fantastic R.I.P Cyclonus and there's at least an air of self awareness when it gets deep into specific TF lore.
>>
File: tfw-004-005.jpg (655 KB, 2560x1948) Image search: [Google]
tfw-004-005.jpg
655 KB, 2560x1948
>>43981189
Wait, have you not read past Dark Cybertron? Sorry for my earlier comment then. Yeah, that era of RID sucked balls.
>>
>>43981218
What comic numbers do you recommend after Dark Cybertron?

I haven't read the comics for quite a few years, it seemed liked they were constantly getting rebooted.
>>
File: 1436107096790.jpg (317 KB, 800x1162) Image search: [Google]
1436107096790.jpg
317 KB, 800x1162
>>43981326
Well, the RID comic lost that subtitle due to the new series using it, but kept the numbering so it's often called ExRID.

Storylines I liked:
Earthfall (#28-#32)
The World of Tommorow and the Crucible (stand-alones, but they set up the combiner wars series and other plotlines, and the Crucible is an important part of Galvatron's backstory, #33 and #34)
Onyx Interface (#35-#38)

And #42 onwards. Well, ignoring the Optimus parts in 42, which were awful.

MTMTE is... well, it's still pretty damn good. Only a few misses. #41 and #42 were... not great, and #44 (A.k.a. "The one where they go to Earth") was entirely too far up its own arse for my tastes, although I don't hate it as much as some do.

Spoilers for issue 42 of EX-RID in image. Seriously, that was kind of bad.
>>
>>43980756
Here's the thing. Here's the thing.

What kind of Transformers game do you want to have?

The 80s cartoon? Use Saturday Morning Action Hour or whatever that RPG is called.

You want to focus on the tactical aspect of transforming robots in war? Use Robotech or some shit.

You want to play the Unicron Trilogy? Fuck, I don't know an RPG that focuses so much on loot collection.

You want a game where the characters matter as much as the gimmicks? Thats harder.

Give us some context, OP, tell us WHAT transformers you want to use.
>>
BESM. It's not the best system out there, but it's the only one I've ever seen that handles transforming giant robots in a solid, relatively simple way that's not a math nightmare.
>>
>>43981544
Is Mekton a math nightmare?
>>
>>43981493
I believe he wants something Scavengers like. So a bunch of Decepticon grunts, trying to find something to do with their existence.
>>
>>43981544
No. See, when you play an RPG, you have to at least consider what the RPG was designed to do. Otherwise, we'll just follow the grognard's screams and EVERYTHING IS 3.5 FOREVER REEEEEEEE

BESM? Built around anime. That might work for some Transformers series, so long as we don't use the "giant robot" tropes of anime and more "super heroes" tropes.

>>43981566
Mekton is a math nightmare that attempts to blend Gundam and Battletech. In no way, I repeat, in no way is it, in any way, attempting to replicate any of the concepts or designs in a Transformers series.

Just because Transformers are robots doesn't mean that it share any of the storytelling aspects from giant robot series.
>>
File: Tenformers.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Tenformers.pdf
1 B, 486x500
This is a d10 based system. Nice and light enough to use on an image board or forum. Good if you have players who don't like long character sheets and very good at pick up and play.
>>
>>43981633
Setting aside the fact that you are an idiot, BESM works for any kind of mecha where stuff like physics, detailed damage, realistic engineering and so on doesn't matter. So prettyuch every incarnation of Transformers, unless there is some super gritty, hyper realistic series I'm unaware of.
>>
>>43981670
But Transformers is not and has never been a Mecha series excepting that it has robots. Its not about the (political/philsophical) aspect of Gundam/NGE/etc, its not about the raw POWURLEVULS/shonen fight stuff of GL/Getter/etc. Not even the Japan-Only Transformers series reached into those ideologies.

Or is Mecha like Steampunk now, where it is an aesthetic, and storytelling, theme, and message are entirely irrelevant?
>>
File: tf_vol2_23_22.jpg (589 KB, 1280x1990) Image search: [Google]
tf_vol2_23_22.jpg
589 KB, 1280x1990
>>43981734
Well, it's not like the Transformers are politically averse.
>>
>>43981734
>storytelling, theme, and message are entirely irrelevant?
If it's not an N-type system, yes.
>>
>>43981455
44 was fucking retarded but MTMTE has enough awareness to sometimes be like "hey this thing about our setting is fucking stupid" so I gave it a pass, also we got to see humanized Megatron which was rad.
>>
>>43981787
Then just use d20 for everything

>>43981777
You're right, this specific publisher's run of Transformers has a lot of political tones. Lets compare it to
the 80s cartoon,
the last few Japan-only seasons of that cartoon,
the Unicron Trilogy,
Beast Wars,
Beast Machines,
Animated,
Transformers Prime,
Transformers RID,
Transformers The Other RID,

not to mention Marvel Transformers,
Marvel UK Transformers,
Dreamwave Transformers,

and I'm sure I'm forgetting at least four other significant patches of Transformers.
>>
>>43981734
You're really hung up on semantics for some strange reason. You can easily make giant transforming robots in BESM who don't have pilots. This is not an issue, you're getting hung up on nothing.
>>
>>43981734
>BESM has an anime theme, so it can literally only be used to play gundam

What are you even butthurt about?
>>
File: 1405509044826.jpg (192 KB, 989x1500) Image search: [Google]
1405509044826.jpg
192 KB, 989x1500
>>43981812
I'm not saying Transformers is political as a whole. I'm saying you can run political games with it. Or at least as political and philosophical as most mecha anime.

Especially if you go with the political writer origin for Megs.
>>
>>43981812
>Then just use d20 for everything
Nah, 3d6 works better, and the 3.5 implementation of d20 is shit-awful.
>>
>>43981881
But everyone on /tg/ knows it, and its not like >>43981734 is actually useful or intelligent.
>>
>>43981573
Variant Paranoia.
>>
>>43981734
Dude, mecha is just a word for giant robots, you're really getting worked up over nothing. Maybe you should concentrate on what people are actually saying, instead of getting angry over your own weird preconceptions? Just a tip, it will make your life easier.
>>
>>43981869
Dude, nobody has every said anything about Transformers and politics, you started that on your own.
>>
>>43982066
I was responding to:
>But Transformers is not and has never been a Mecha series excepting that it has robots. Its not about the (political/philsophical) aspect of Gundam/NGE/etc

And pointing out that Transformers can be, if you want it to be.
>>
To the people hypothesizing what I was going to run; the game was going to be a bunch of smalltime cons guarding an energon refinery/engex distillery so well hidden they never get the message that the wars over. It'd be hijinx dealing with bots, cons and aliens
>>
>>43981894
He's having a really weird argument with himself, because he thinks that mecha means Gundam, and doesn't understand the separation between crunch and fluff, I think? Or that generic systems don't even have built in fluff? It makes no sense.
>>
>>43982052
>mecha is just a word for giant robots
I thought mecha was just what the Japs call technology.
>>
>>43981633
>>43981734

I'm pretty sure you have legit brain damage, friend. Maybe you should go lie down for a bit.
>>
>>43982104
Sounds like fun. I don't care what system is used for a TF game as long as it's not too crunchy/overcomplicated.

Are there any good TF games on roll20?
>>
File: qR4R5rd[1].png (718 KB, 785x873) Image search: [Google]
qR4R5rd[1].png
718 KB, 785x873
Oh, I forgot to mention.

This is why Mechamorphosis is baller.

Yes, you can play any of those sizes and yes, you can be a giant ship floating in space around earth helping out your homies down on earth. Not sure how valid that strategy is however, because I never got the chance to play and I am not up to making the crunch math from dry paper. Not like I know how to do the math to begin with too.

It's a d20 system btw.
>>
>>43982532
did somebody already post a pdf?
>>
>>43982718
I can pack up all of the stuff I have in my Mechamorphosis folder if you want me to.

So yep, no one did. I'm looking for something akin to Dungeon Master guide or monster manual for it, got nothing. I might try asking someone from the team who made it.
>>
>>43982792
I'd be grateful just for the core book, man. If I can see the rules and like them i'll track down the other books on my own.
>>
>>43982822
Eh fuck it. Hope you got something that can open 7zip.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/w85phb

In the zip file you got the core, character sheet, players guide which adds a few feats as well I believe and unrelated esoteric creature generator as it was given to me when asking for dungeon guide in one of the pdf threads here.
>>
File: Mechamorphosis_Players_Guide.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Mechamorphosis_Players_Guide.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43982718
I've only really got the player's guide, which has prestige classes for pretenders, primes, and a bunch of other ideas, but under generic names.
>>
>>43982895
sweet, appreciate it man.
>>43982902
i'll grab this too just in case windows 8 doesnt like zips or whatever
>>
>>43982902
I got core in that zip, if needed I'll upload it separately.

Be wary though because some pages might be fucked up in terms of layers. Basically sometimes the pictures might go over the text, hiding it. To fix that you select the text as if you wanted to copy it and actually copy it and paste it somewhere else. Not sure how many times that happens but I know it happens minimum once.

>>43982913
Also, if you like the rules, tell me because I want to keep in touch if you start lurking for dm guide or something for it.
>>
>>43982104
Yo, got any way to hook up, skype or something? This is gonna sound stupid if not borderline autistic, but while I can't play I wanna hear the wacky shenanigans you all will go on. And god knows maybe I'll find the time to join later on.
>>
>>43983199
If you've got the time to creep on people over Skype, why can't you play?
>>
>>43983199
I'll post contact details if/when I ever advertise in a gamefinder thread. Alternatively I could publish the game logs somehow.
>>
>>43982132
Mecha as a whole refers to anything mechanical, but it can also be used to refer to the 'mecha genre' which usually has a heavy focus on vehicles, robots, ships, etc. Ultraman can be considered a mecha show, since the Science Patrol has hi-tech fighter jets most of the time. Evengelion counts as mecha, too, even though the titular Evas are cyborgs, because it heavily features military vehicles and large machinery.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.