[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come Raptors don't get more love!?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Raptors_Scout_Marine.jpg (114 KB, 525x952) Image search: [Google]
Raptors_Scout_Marine.jpg
114 KB, 525x952
How come Raptors don't get more love!?
>>
I don't know but they're great and I'm gonna make some. I have like 50 tacticals among other things that have been gathering dust for a decade and I feel like painting.

Kind of need to have Issodon as your HQ to make them really feel and play like Raptors ought to it seems.
>>
Because they're not an important or, for many people, particularly interesting Chapter. Not that this stops /tg/ from wanking them endlessly.
>>
>>43979763
>operator marines operating are less popular than over the top skulls and flames and honor space-knight marines.

>In 40k.

They're purposefully contrasting with the iconic chapters in order to appeal to people who think that camo makes sense and that maybe bright red tanks with 12ft banner poles on them might be less than ideal if you don't wan to get shot.

It shouldn't be surprising that the chapters that follow the spirit of the setting the least are less popular with people who like the setting.
>>
>>43979908
Basically this. Being the competent straight man in the middle of 40k is a slight novelty but that's about it. What are you going to do with them after that's been established?
It's just not as interesting having a scout marine tacticooling it up calmly looking at an ork encampment before calling in an airstrikethan a charging line of frothing-at-the-mouth mad Space Wolves riding on wolves while shouting something incoherent about wolves while drunk and throwing power axes decorated with wolves at the enemy.
>>
>>43979929
In hindsight, interesting isn't the right word. Being the straight man IS interesting but it isn't... it isn't...
It isn't forteekay. Plus they're kind of shallow beyond camo-and-tacticool.
>>
Because their approach is all fine and dandy when you can actually afford to do it, but you'd achieve more with more flashy tactics and accepting a higher attrition rate. Yes, it took you three months to destroy a ork warband with only a couple of casualties. Meanwhile other six warbands have slipped by and now they're all busy wrecking shit. It's not like taking heavier losses is that much of a manpower problem anyway, numbers are being kept low due to rules but replacing marines is not THAT slow if you don't lose all your geneseed stocks in one blow, just look at the BA after the space hulk debacle.

You gotta go hard and fast in 40k if you wanna keep the borders together. Hell, even alpharius himself took shit because of this, and that was when the Imperium was closest to actually being able to take things more slowly.
>>
>camo you face
>leave arms uncovered

Brilliant
>>
>>43980021
I'm pretty sure the Raptors aren't used on enemy forces that need to be eliminated in a short time frame. Their specialty is probably hitting more vital targets when they've got a larger timeframe to work with.
>>
>>43980042
Yeah, they can do wonders when part of a greater war effort and act as a force multiplier while the others do the heavy lifting, but they'd be hard pressed to work on a shorter time schedule if on their own. Their weaknesses are the same weaknesses our modern approach has, and in 40k they are often much more prone to failing.
>>
>>43980021
I always figured that the chapter as a whole is spread pretty thinly so while it takes six times as long with a tenth of the casualties, they're simultaneously undertaking four or five operations. It's still not as fast, but they're not horrendously slow.
>>
>>43980076
The same goes for most chapters though, very few blob around as a cohesive force.
>>
>>43980086
Is there actually an example of a chapter that goes around as one single force, never splitting up or spreading out?

They couldn't have a home base, so I guess they'd have to be fleet based. They'd probably be hugely effective in the right areas though.
>>
>>43980021
Raptors do furious and fast just fine.

They have setup time while saboteurs get in place, but once its go time every AAsite, tank depo and ammo dump goes up in flames, while the full force of ship artillery and drop pods tear up the landscape and thunderhawks swoop in along orbital insertion assault marines.
>>
>>43980099
Black templars, Star Phantoms tend towards blobbing.
I belive minotaurs always deploy everything they have at once, i know one chapter does it.
>>
>>43980122
>>43980099
" the Minotaurs almost exclusively operate as a complete Chapter.
While most Chapters spread their forces across multiple war zones, only coming together as a whole for the most momentous of conflicts, the Minotaurs rarely detach smaller forces away from the main body.
This makes the Chapter a blunt instrument, but one capable of ripping through almost any enemy that dares to stand against it.
This reality, combined with what appears to be a program of rapid psycho and surgical indoctrination of Neophytes, means that the Chapter is inevitably encountered as a single entity."
>>
>>43980169
Makes you wonder why all the other chapters hate them.
>>
>>43980186
Because they relish assaulting other marines.
And doing so in full chapter force with captured relics, state of the art vehicles, near instantly replenished casuslties all in top shelf Errant armour.

That and they never leave any survivors or even intact geneseed, even on disciplinary missions.
>>
>>43980219
Why would they attack other Marines?
>>
>>43980226
They're the Lords of Terra pet hit squad.
>>
>>43980239
>Lords of Terra

Fuck those guys, they're assholes.
>>
>>43980226
Because they are the High Lords of Terras personal attack dogs.

Technicly the higv lords have no authority over marines, so istead they sen the Minotsurs to discipline chapters that do not take suggestions, though always small and weak/scattered chapters that have no real fightig chance.

TLDR: They are bullies and thugs with hidden backing from The Man.
>>
>>43980259
Why don't a bunch of the stronger chapters like the founders and such band together and eliminate the Minotaurs?
>>
>>43980269
I think the Ultramarines have threatened to fire on them if they cross into their sector of space.
>>
>>43979763
Because if you like realistic tactics and strategies, you probably don't like 40k.
Raptor are the opposite of what Space Marines are.
>>
>>43980269
That would be treason to assault fellow marines without good reason.

The Minotaurs are legitimate playing by the rules, sadly accidents happen, proud and wilfulll old chapters keep turning out to be "card carrying chaos cultists" sofar Minotaurs internal investigations have cleared them of any wrongdoing apart from oerhaos being a little too enthusiastic about enfoecing the Emperors will (as expressed through the high lords edicts).

Dirty cops, dirty judges, dirty governors and Mccarthyism in space.
>>
>>43980325
Shock troopers with fleet support and saboteur scouts?
>>
Because being tacticool operators who call in air strikes, fight at range whenever possible, don't like to get close, and act as saboteurs and insurgents isn't really the role of Space Marines. Even other Space Marine Chapters that focus on asymmetric warfare still get close and charge the line and like to kill people with their bare hands, they just like to sneak up behind you before they do it. Raptors are doing Guard work, and that's not really their job.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.