[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else find the unscripted storytelling in wargames
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: roary.jpg (20 KB, 277x200) Image search: [Google]
roary.jpg
20 KB, 277x200
Does anyone else find the unscripted storytelling in wargames really interesting? Like how a model can build up a history and character through many battles? Like this guy, who apparently bested a Space Wolf in hand-to-hand combat earning him a helmet! I always wondered about making important story elements of a book or story or something based on the outcome of a wargame.
Do any of you have models that have developed character?
>>
>>43974456
Hahaha, yeah. "Trunk Puncher";
Skull Champ w/ powerfist of an 8 zerkers squad.
Killed 5 ogryns with bonehead and chimera they came in, last man standing.
>>
It's part of why I'm not much for the "only named characters" approach of Warmahordes, Malifaux, etc. Though this tend sot happen to rank and file just as much as to characters of course. Like the lascannon gunner who could never hit shit, but who happily took three battle cannon rounds to the face without dropping.
>>
Guy at my lgs almost always has that one death company dudeman who eats three meltas, a medusa round, then tears apart a couple infantry squads.
>>
File: R2D2 Sad Beep.png (112 KB, 225x209) Image search: [Google]
R2D2 Sad Beep.png
112 KB, 225x209
When a model "Forges a Narrative," it's a code word for "Got killed by massed D, overwhelming blasts, or a gargantuan creature he had no statistical hope of hurting" amongst those I've played with. The only models I often see survive and thrive are either monstrous, gargantuan, superheavies, special characters, or had an ability such as assaulting from deep strike or save layering.
>>
>>43974456

The only problem is how hard it is to modify an already finished painted model. You'd have to remove paint and take apart glued pieces. The easiest way is to just add dead body part trophies to the base or pin some purity seals or medals on him.

It's not like you can make fake accomplishments by building him with a helmet before he even gets used in a single game.
>>
>>43974456
Back when Daemonhunters codex had Grey Knights and the Inquistion we had a Daemonhunter/Marines vs Chaos/Nids. It was a very fun couple of battles, and led to a Justicar that, after he was the last man standing of his, took an entire round of bolter fire from the chaos marines, dived into a 5 pack of termagants to avoid getting shot at, killed them and then dove into another group of termagants to avoid more chaos fire before being cut down.

In the end it balanced out because I had my Grand Master alone, I was new an rather foolish, get turned into a chaos spawn by a bolt of change.

Also my Vindicare will always miss the first shot he makes. ALWAYS. Anyway I made alot of pock marks and later made it so my one Justicar's armor is full of bullet holes.
>>
>>43974456
I love this aspect of the hobby. Mordheim almost made this a focus.

>>43976085
Dead body parts works ok sometimes. After a friend's IG serg made a heroic stand against a pair of lictors and fucking killed them over the course of the game I gave him a spare lictor head. He attached to the guys belt and added repainted his standard to include some dead gaunts
>>
>>43974456
I had a vostoryan sargent I always gave the honrifica too (not an option ib the new codex) after he killed a trio of khorne blessed chaos marines in CC in my first ever game with that army. Ever since then he has never been killed in any battle ive taken him in. I never tell my opponent his history to avoid them killing him with a basilisk or something out of spite, but in battles where ive been killed down to only 2 models he always ends up being one of the two. The Iron sargent of the 13th of the 9th.
>>
I made up a marksman honour for my friends blood angel marine with a missile launcher. It now dangles underneath the very end of his launcher. The fucker hit every single shot he made, with 3 in overwatch which ended up knocking me out of assault range each time. He survived the battle alongside mephiston and three of his other brothers when they ran off the table after warboss zogtoof charged in and wiped the floor.
>>
Yeah, I have two named guys in my 40k CSM/Daemons army.
Timmy the Cultist and Bufu the Winless.
Timmy has a litany of boasts regarding his battlefield accomplishments, mostly true but always embellished.
Bufu the Winless is a Chaos Sorcerer that lost or tied his first ten games.
>>
>>43974456
I've got a psyker primaris that has never been killed, and always annhilates his opponents in melee combat. He's got a Warboss+Nob squad and a carnifex under his belt, among others.
>>
>>43974456
"Your Dudes" and "Forging the Narrative" are easily my favorite parts of wargaming, which is why I tend to stick with fluffy games with friends.

When it comes to 40k, I like to crossover with the campaigns my friends and I have played in Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader.

In the former case, my commissar-turned-inquisitor is my go-to Inquisitor character. Made him from Coteaz, chopped off the head and replaced it with a Grey Knight helmet, gave him a power sword, and painted the cloak of the power armor like a commissar coat. He's the leader of my Sisters/Tempestus army.

In the latter, I plan on making a CSM warband that gains ts gifts and purpose from a minor Warp deity that came up in a Rogue Trader game I GM'd.

>>43975059
I can agree that it does bug me about Warmahordes, but I tend to just paint some of my models differently from the standard in order to give them different characters, essentially, something Privateer Press even encouraged in a post on their site. And Iron Kingdoms does kinda allow you to create your own character that could feasibly be played in Warmahordes, depending on if the opposing player is okay with it. Supposedly there's an IK-to-WMH cipher somewhere.
>>
I had a sergeant who was sitting in a chimera as part of a boxed up gunline against an onrushing horde of Gaunts supported by a hive tyrant.

Heavy flamers made short work of the Gaunts as they came out of the narrow passages of the board, but that all changed when the hive tyrant arrived. He stepped over a low wall into the midst of the chimera semi-circle to protect the Gaunts, and I fired everything I had at him. It was a shit ton of multi laser shots, melta gun shots, and a few heavy bolters.

It brought him down to one wound.

My sergeant pokes his head out of his chimera, after the melta guns fire. He points his laspistol at him, and fires.

5. Hit. 6. Wound. Armor save? 1.

He received a golden helmet after that.
>>
>>43974456

I have a Space Marine Captain who invariably keeps dying. I get the feeling this guy is taking on too much.
>>
Don't die yet, thread
>>
I made a custom Marbo miniature that looked like he was going to touchdown/football pass a mortar shell (to represent the demolition charge). That fucker was an all star in my IG list and always earned his points back. I miss him.
>>
>>43974456
I have the Arm Stealer, a Genestealer model that I broke so he is missing one of his arms. Ever since, he never seems to die or dies last out of his squad. I make the joke that in combat, he rips opponent's arms off trying to find a replacement for his own, not realizing he needs to kill another Genestealer to do that.
My Space Wolf playing friend has Hagnar Half-Hair, a Longfang who always, always over heats his plasma cannon at some point in any battle he is in and always fails his armor save to it. He is painted so half of his face is black and burnt looking.
>>
>>43974456
My group has Scout Sergeant Felix, Slayer of the Wolf Lord. Wolf Lord had 1 Wound left after a run-in with an assault cannon, so the Scout, after having his whole unit killed, charges the Wolf Lord and challenges him. Wolf Lord had TH/SS, so Felix hit first.
We fluff it as Felix jamming his chainsword into the soft neck of the Wolf Lord; it earned him a nifty cape and a slew of purity seals.

There's also Sniper Sammy, the Lascannon wielder that cannot hit anyone unless it's a Snapshot, Big Mek Klubbah, who climbed a wall and landed on the Tempestus when he jumped off the other side, and Brother Marthinoir.

Brother Marthinoir managed to be my only surviving unit after a short, 500 point game. My opponent harassed him with a squad of 4 bolters and a Plasma cannon, along with 1 Termie Sergeant with a Power sword.

After killing the Sergeant with his powerfist, Marthinoir proceeded to cause the plasma cannon to miss the next 4 times it shot at him, also shrugging off around 30 bolter shots before he got stuck in and clobbered the squad.

He is now an honored member of the Wolf Lord's Wolf Guard, pending his promotion to Wolf Lord himself, seeing as this was the same game as Sergeant Felix.
>>
>>43974456
I don't pretend that the statistical anamolies that take place on the tabletop have any bearing on the fluff, unlike autists who complain about rationalizing special characters fighting themselves as an enemy on the other side of the field.

A friend of mine has a lascannon gunner team with a penchant for sniping zoan/vemonthropes. I was asked to paint some honours on their uniforms for him.
>>
>>43974456
Is there a system for this somewhere?
Modular lego-like models.
The design involved would probably allow it to survive the death of commercial miniatures.
>>
>>43977447

what is the warp deity's name
>>
>>43974456
Works best in Brikwars where units will often customize themselves on the fly from whatever's laying around.
>>
Single wraithguard in 6th Ed held up a squad of blood angel assault marines for 4 turns. He's now been side-graded to wraithblade and I drilled out some dents, cut a few gashes and entire chunks off of superfluous armor, tore up his tabard, gave him two power axes, and painted him with cuts all over.
Easily my favorite model, even if he's just a mook. Always turns anything stupid enough to get into charge range into paste or scrap, unless it has AV14 all around.
>>
>>43985913
It's kind of a long story, and I'm sure I'll be criticized for it, but in my Rogue Trader game, the crew had an NPC Navigator that they were given without really knowing her background. They were a newly-formed house, so they couldn't really afford to question it.

She was strange and kind of a bitch; crotchety, and what little they could see of her face (heavy hood) was very withered-looking. As part of the campaign, they were effectively kidnapped by her, but also given a job" they track down mysterious orb artifacts for her, and she will reward them.

They discover, over time, that these orbs are stored in Eldar temples, and each time they give them to the Navigator, she gains more power (clearly beyond what a Navigator can do) and becomes younger.

It's eventually discovered that she lacks the third eye of a Navigator and, later than that, that she is, actually Morai-Heg, the Eldar goddess of fate, who managed to slowly reform herself ever since Slaanesh's in an extremely weakened state, and the orbs were phylacteries, of a sort.

My idea with her and my CSM warband is that there is sort of a shadow of her in the Warp that has managed to mask her presence, and uses the warband to carry out her will in the materium, with their mutations including pointed ears.

It's not something I've fully fleshed out yet, but I really liked the character, and it was an aspect I was planning to use if the game didn't horribly crash and burn before schedule.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.