[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about Dragonlance: Chronicles? Someone recommended
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
How do you feel about Dragonlance: Chronicles?

Someone recommended it to me but I'm not really enjoying it.
>>
>>43968979
I tried reading Dragons of the Autumn Twilight, but stalled half way through due to boredom. It did not age well.

And why the fuck would the writer invent something like dragon-people and then make them as disposable as goblins? The draconians are crap.
>>
>>43968979

I enjoyed the first two trilogies as low budget fantasy filler novels, but every book I picked up after that was awful.
>>
>>43968979
Haven't read the books but the roleplaying setting and adventures are awesome.
>>
>>43968979
Raistlin is GOAT
I'm gonna reread the trilogy with the seasons next year
>>
File: Raistlin.png (211 KB, 235x512) Image search: [Google]
Raistlin.png
211 KB, 235x512
>>43971383
Agreed. Raistlin Majere is top tier wizard. The scene at the end of Dragons of Spring Dawning where he wreck's shop and helps Caramon walk was fantastic. It got a little circlejerky about how badass Raistlin was later on, but I still love the gold-skinned bastard.

Also, looks good in red.
>>
>>43968979
It's legendary D&D fiction, but that doesn't really make it high-quality by any means.
It's fun, especially when you're younger, but if you've read better stuff you become aware of how basic it is.
>>
Raistlin is such a qt
>>
>>43968979
Original is good, Chronicles is good, quality drops precipitously after that.
>>
>>43972534
I agree. It's a really light read, hits all the tropes, but in general it's a pretty good story. Don't think too hard while reading it though. I'd definitely recommend Chronicles; Legends wasn't as good, and then it got a little too try-hard. The 4th book in the Chronicles (Dragons of the Cashening) was crap.
>>
>>43968979
It impressed me without end - when I was 12.

I recently checked out the audiobook on YT and the impression has changed. It is godawful naive fiction that just prattles on without rhyme or reason. It's really bad from a quality angle.

And then there's the insidious Mormon themes. I never noticed as a kid, and it isn't blatantly reactionary. But now that it registers, it's really annoying.

Plus one of the authors named one of the most exploitative companies in the industry. Wonder why there's never been a satisfactory rendition of the Firefly license? Or BSG? There are more...
>>
>>43974838
what mormon themes?? wtf!
>>
>>43977222
Found golden plates educate the only true believers before the return of the gods...
>>
>>43968979
how old are you? i loved the shit out of dragonlance, read everything i could get my hands on when i was a teen. im 33 now and recently pulled chronicles out and tried it and man, its rough, i had to put it back.
still have fond memories of raistlin and the gang though, i heard the series went to shit after the chaos war, i never read the 5th age stuff
>>
>>43978260
Not the op, but I'm your age as well, and have had similar issues. My friends have recommended the series a lot, but I have the impression they read it when they were younger. It isn't bad, mind you, but "rough" is about the way I would describe it too. I'm still sure the series helped shape or inspire some of the other authors I enjoy, so I appreciate them for that.
>>
>>43978260
>33 on 4chan
my god.
>>
>>43968979

Honestly, the Chronicles and Legends always felt WAY too sexual to me. Like, Tanis's 'vacation' with Kitira in Book 2 and so on. It's all a little overblown at times.

More, the heroes are kind of morons. They're barely effective!

Also, 'The Inheritance' about Tanis's parents might be the most terrible book of all time. It's literally all about NTR, but we're supposed to feel sorry for the human bandit when he gets shanked. Miscegenation? In MY fantasy? Say it ain't so!
>>
>>43978387
>being aged under 30 on 4chan
Seriously stop wasting your fucking life and go out and do shit. Plently of time to muck around on the internet when you're married and settled and done all the shit. If you're under 30 and you spend most of your day here, just an hero now because you got nothing to live for.
>>
>>43978486
tfw 26 next month.
already got a gf and my own place just need a better job.
>>
>>43978669
Everyone from ages to 22 to 33 needs a better job, I think.
>>
>>43968979
>I'm not really enjoying it
Then stop reading it. Don't read books you don't enjoy.
>>
>>43978474
>Honestly, the Chronicles and Legends always felt WAY too sexual to me. Like, Tanis's 'vacation' with Kitira in Book 2 and so on. It's all a little overblown at times.
>More, the heroes are kind of morons. They're barely effective!
Exactly like a D&D campaign.
>>
>>43968979
I fucking loved that shit; it was the series of my childhood.
Read every single book ever published in the dragonlance name.

Admittedly most were shit and it all went downhill as the years passed but the first 20~ books were great for light and fun reading.
>>
Oh wow, the memories. I got my hands on Chronicles and Legends from the public library when I was a kid. I didn't really know they were D&D novels, and those were the years I was getting into /tg/ too, so my mind was blown.
I used to play with a guy who only read fantasy schlock, and he lent me most of the later ones, which I found frankly unbearable, especially the amber (?) trilogy. I kinda liked the Preludes, because they were full of silly crap (the gnomes on the moon one), but nowadays I won't get close to them. I plan to get the YA adaptations to read to my kids someday.
>>
>>43979532
I remember liking the first Legends book. The second (the recovery of... something or other that in the second Chronicles book they were going on about) was horrible. Never read the third.
>>
Fuck, I need to reread these. I know they won't hold up, but I don't care. Without them, I probably never would have gotten into RPGs.

Raistlin Chronicles>Chronicles>Legends>Lost Chronicles> second generation>>>>war of souls
>>
>>43972483

>raistilin and the female dwarf scene halfway through book 1

>>43972534

I found it refreshing, it is a classical formula done well
>>
>>43968979
Probally said already, but they are basically for teens...I enjoyed them, but later books were pure trash. but, I could probally read again a few first books when Raistlin is going
around.

Also, can't remember the name, but there are a few books that have collection of small stories. Good tier stuff in those.

>>43969319
Agreed, but try reading "the doom brigade" and book after that. It's all about draconians, and I have read them so many times.
>>
>>43984094
>done well
Take off the nostalgia goggles and try to read it today. It's awful.
>>
>>43984257
If /tg/ were able to remove their nostalgia goggles, nobody would be playing D&D in the first place.
>>
>>43984539
You're still playing DnD?
Most of us stopped several editions ago.
There's so many good games to try.
>>
>>43984600
But that way you missed the good one.
>>
>>43974838
As a mormon I was mainly annoyed by the shit writing. If fantasy can have medieval Christian elements thrown in like clerics and paladins I'm not sure what the problem is with a golden plates reference.
>>
>>43985001
One has shaped Western culture for Centuries, for better or worse. Like it or not, it's relevant.

The other is a local fringe cult desperate for attention. No matter how much you wish it were so, it just isn't relevant. So putting it in that position for your fiction is at best a dissonance, at worst an attempt to mainstream topics for PR purposes of your faith.
>>
>>43985436
Could it not simply be an author drawing upon familiar topics for inspiration?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.