[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to do a quick alignment check of /tg/. Think of your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 13
File: Edmund_blair_leighton_accolade.jpg (1 MB, 1632x2326) Image search: [Google]
Edmund_blair_leighton_accolade.jpg
1 MB, 1632x2326
I want to do a quick alignment check of /tg/.

Think of your last character, then answer this question:

Is it more important that people do the right thing or that people be allowed to do what they want?
>>
It's important that people leave him alone and don't bother him.
>>
>>43943444
The former. It's just that the right thing is to burn the heretic, exterminate the xenos and oppress the masses.
>>
>>43943444
But anon, the right thing is that people should should be allowed to have agency, and use it for (hopefully) good or ill
>>
>Texan Tremere Apprentice

Doing the right thing > doing what they want

It's the obvious answer unless you're some kinda dirty wetback Sabbat terrorist.
>>
>>43943444
as the leaf falls, so do the adversities.
you don't need an authority to allow you to do what you want, and it's going to be the right thing for you to do anyway.
you're separating duty and freedom, but they're one and the same.
meditate more, young grasshopper.
>>
Seems like bit of a frustrating question, but I'll bite.

The former is the more important, though denying people any autonomous action is both immoral and logistically unfeasible. People should be able to pursue their goals, but there's a difference in-between simply doing that, and doing that in a way that harms others.
>>
File: 1421896567442.png (48 KB, 333x286) Image search: [Google]
1421896567442.png
48 KB, 333x286
>>43943444
What the people want, so long as it doesn't harm anyone directly or indirectly.
>>
Last character played was a gnoll; pretty simple-minded and grumpy, but oddly wise sometimes.

Was a heavy believer that one should do what they need to survive and be content, but at the same time acknowledge that everyone else has the same goal as oneself. Fighting others for that goal is inevitable, regrettable, preferably avoidable, but ultimately necessary.

So, "allowed to do what they want". That said, I wouldn't put that gnoll in charge of anything or anyone.
>>
File: 1446013476555.jpg (58 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
1446013476555.jpg
58 KB, 500x661
You just have to ask yourself: "What would the Emperor do?"
Usually that's the right thing
>>
File: 1355820564817.jpg (31 KB, 530x259) Image search: [Google]
1355820564817.jpg
31 KB, 530x259
Maybe they can learn to do what they're fucking told and we can stop the world from ending.

That ever occur to the League of White Knights?

How about you get the war crimes trial up and running after we save the world.
>>
>>43943444
The latter, because like any Ancap I believe that personal freedom is the cornerstone of society
>>
>>43943444
It's importsnt they don't get in his way as he does what he wants.
>>
>>43943444
>Last character
Played two in the last game, but both of them would answer with the latter.

The first, a barbarian who values honorable combat as the only true measure of a person, would have chosen the former before she started adventuring. However, experience has taught her that sometimes it's best to eschew honor (AKA doing the "right thing" in combat) in order to find victory (AKA not getting killed). She's also not big on authority figures, especially those she cannot challenge to combat, so she resorts to petty rebellions.

The other, a punny cat-burgler who stole the wrong magic item and basically absorbed a wind elemental, answers with the later because he don't give a fuck.
>>
>>43943444

Do what they want.

Even in the face of mass murder and genocide, my last character pursued the idea that humans should not be a prey species.
>>
>>43943444

My last character (that I played for a one-shot) is a neutral evil drow sorcerer who works as an enforcer for a crime syndicate in a goblin city. He thinks your question is silly.
>>
My last character?

I don't care. What's important is I get to do what I want.
>>
>>43943444
That the people do the right thing.
>>
>>43943444
The former, though that might just be because he used Mind Control to get him out of sticky situations.
>>
It is the right thing and what I want, else my live will be nothing but misery...
>>
>>43943444
>Is it more important that people do the right thing or that people be allowed to do what they want
I fail to see how this is at all relevant to the last character I played.
>>
>>43944392
The people do the right thing is lawful.
The people do what they want is chaotic.

Does your character like to do what he wants? Does he follow the rules strictly? Or does he have some middleway?

Not OP by the way.
>>
>Orc street sammy with a penchant for gunplay that just finished acting as pest control for Seattle

Look...there's no simple answer to that. Really, it often depends on the situation at hand. If you're lucky, you can fulfill both. Like, say, having one of the big corp execs not have the power she down in a certain neighborhood as a favor for squishing some bugs.

...But that's if you're lucky. Sometimes, you gotta choose between freedom, or takin' a lousy job to help pay the rent, or to help bail a friend out.
>>
Why should they differ? Virtue consists in training oneself to want to do the right thing.

As a legal, social, and political question, it depends on various factors such as the potential harm to the community, whether the person choosing is capable of making such decisions, if the wrong to be corrected is amenable to forcible correction, and so forth that a yes/no answer would be useless.
>>
>>43943444
>allowed
I'm going to do what I want. I've made sure of this by taking the correct magical items, and being the most powerful wizard there is. Who can stop me? No one, and I can always "tactically retreat" to fight another day.

I'm alone now with nothing but power and time.

behold the wizard, unspeakable power
>>
>>43943444
That's a good question. I'd love to talk about it, but the empire is paying me to kill zombies, not to talk philosophy.
>>
>>43943444
Last Character....
It's most important that people be allowed to do what I want them to, which, by dint of me desiring it, is the right thing.
But really, such questions are for self important philosophers. The kind who beg and plead and betray their ideals for just a few more moments of existence...
>>
File: What i Played hams.png (4 MB, 2432x1014) Image search: [Google]
What i Played hams.png
4 MB, 2432x1014
My most recent character is a black listed heretical Ex bishop in DH that gave a Deamon its freedom to save a planet and possibly the galaxy from disease. Called in a campaigns worth of favors to avoid a trial and escape with his life. Now he plans on toppling the entire Imperium not because he turned to chaos but because the emperors truth and the livelihood of his subjects is being choked to death by the shackles of the imperial system.Pious Anarchy in the 40th millennium! So chaotic good in DnD terms.
>>
File: 1364394534435.png (1 MB, 813x768) Image search: [Google]
1364394534435.png
1 MB, 813x768
>>43945107

Heresy comes in all forms.
The most insidious being the ones where you believe you are just and righteous until it is too late.
>>
>>43943444
The right thing.
>>
>>43945207
I'll admit he is primed and ready to be taken advantage of by chaos. But his belief in the emperor doesn't waver in the slightest.
>>
>>43943444
>superhero trying to live up to the ideals of characters he read about in comic books as a kid

You do what's right.
>>
>>43943444
Indifferent to either as "what is right" depends on the person, and "what they want" is a slippery slope.
>>
>>43945230

Maybe, but don't be surprised if your GM pulls a "No Jon! You are the Demons!" and it turns out you've been committing horrible atrocities under the illusion spell of the Demon you released.
>>
>>43943444
>Knight-Captain of a 1600s empire
It's more important to do the right thing.
>Heretic Witch that happens to do a demon host
It's more important to have freedom to do what one desires
>Space Smuggler Ship Pilot/Captain
Does what she wants, doesn't really care
>>
>>43945261
the character has been nearly possessed by a deamon before and knows what it would feel like. Plus he has been retired until further notice. But yeah I would be surprised if there were no tricks being thought up.

To keep the thread on track the character that replaced him would see "do whats right" and Do what you're told" as the same thing.
>>
>>43943444
Depends. Question is too vague.
And this was a lawful good character.

I would hope that most would agree that a balance needs to be struck. Both extreme positions are reprehensible.
>>
>>43943589
The Emperor would probably spend so much time tinkering on his fucking chair that he wouldn't notice his favorite son falling in with the wrong crowd and ultimately trying to kill him.
>>
Find most devout and chaste daughter or the nobility

Find most high ranking but still reasonably traditionally sane member of the fairy hierarchy.

Wed her to him. Actually wed her, not some sort of consort relationship. Be very clear on this.

She, and her children, are now the bridge between worlds. The way in which extra-ordinary becomes ordinary.

And its all done through love.
>>
>>43943444
If they are to do what is right, then let it be what they had chosen to do. Forcing them to do what is right will not cause them to grow in any way.

>Lore-keeper monk who traveled with a seer cursed because he made his god mad. God punished him by making him to good deeds.
>>
>>43943444
>Is it more important that people do the right thing or that people be allowed to do what they want?

It's much, much more important to do one's duty than be free to act on your whims. Only children and idiots can be forgiven for behaving otherwise.

The character in question is a 13th century french sorceress from a bloodline that claims descent from the gods of antiquity. Like most medieval people, but unlike the majority of mages in the setting, loyalty to ones family is EXTREMELY important and in her bloodline the fortunate ones who are magically gifted are expected to put their powers at the service of the others.

To be honest though I'd answer much the same irl, and I think you've got serious problems if you disagree.
>>
>>43943568
You're not chivalrous at all with an attitude like that!
>>
You do what's right. Freedom is important, but a world where nobody has to be afraid of evil harming them is more important than a world where everyone can do whatever they want, because often times whatever someone wants could harm others.
>>
File: 73623.jpg (52 KB, 415x354) Image search: [Google]
73623.jpg
52 KB, 415x354
>>43943444
The latter, of course.

Peoples' interests are easily manipulated. It's almost a sin not to use their desires against them.

Those who do "the right things" are dangerous, but even they can become a cog in the machine because of their single-mindedness and blind dedication to their ideals.
>>
same difference, Jack.
>>
My character allows any person to do what they want so long as they don't restrict others from doing what they want.

And if it ends up killing people within 24 hours, I will definitely find out by then; next time loop, you're gonna get smacked for dragging out my time!
>>
Its more important that they want to do the right thing, and then do so. Desire or action is not enough, they must be combined for actual right to be.

Given that, the character was deeply cynical and depressed in regards to how humans actually are.
>>
File: 1437397514714.jpg (448 KB, 1000x902) Image search: [Google]
1437397514714.jpg
448 KB, 1000x902
>>43943949
>barbarian
>her

Janice has -4 STR, all she needs is a big strong man to give her a fuck
>>
Doing the right thing.

Even if it means backing a brutal set of laws that ensure people do the right thing.
>>
>All these pouts in the this thread that are like "It's best that people WANT to do the RIGHT thing"

Goddamn

No wonder the Nazi's were voted into power
>>
File: rorschach.jpg (5 KB, 126x90) Image search: [Google]
rorschach.jpg
5 KB, 126x90
>>43943444
Do what you know to be right. Never compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon.
>>
>>43943444
The illusion that people be allowed to do what they want.
>>
>>43943444
my character
"what thats like way to deep for me man, i just want to do magic, earn a little money, eventually open a tavern that cooks and serves food magically."
the former head chief of a prestigious wizard college that learned a trick or two from the students before being fired for mixing up alchemical toads shipment with the frog shipment meant for friday night frog legs and gumbo.
play him as a Louisiana swamp boy.
his pasion is cooking and his hobby is magic, mainly because he wants to make his cooking better
>>
>>43943444
be allowed to do what they want
>>
>>43946773
Shut up, tranny.
>>
A character can do whatever they want, but its generally called role playing for a reason. if it's not in alignment they might have their alignment changed. A palladin killing a bunch of innocents would make him/her not a good pally anymore.
>>
He'd say something along the lines of it's probably more important for people to have the freedom to do what they want, and he'll have to just keep traveling around trying to make "what's right" and "what people want" the same thing.
>>
>>43943444
What is most important is the greatest good for society. If this sacrifices the liberties of the people for their safety, then the law must do what is necessary.

[Spoiler]LE[/spoiler]
>>
It is important that people be allowed to do the right thing.
>>
>>43947030
Excuse my spoiler tags, I'm retarded.
>>
>>43943444
It's important that people WANT to do the right thing.
>>
>>43947159

see >>43946107
>>
I guess he would wan't people to do what they want as long as they aren't going around causing harm to others.
>>
File: Met2.jpg (940 KB, 1928x2376) Image search: [Google]
Met2.jpg
940 KB, 1928x2376
>>43943444
>more important that people do the right thing
Obviously.
>>
>>43943444
>people be allowed to do what they want
This to a hedonistic extent.
>>
>>43943951
>even in the face of countless humans being preyed upon, my last character believed humans shouldn't be a prey species
>>
>>43943444
If everyone tried to do what they want, nobody would be able to do what the want

Instead teach yourself to want to do the right thing
>>
File: 1435888873836.png (261 KB, 319x422) Image search: [Google]
1435888873836.png
261 KB, 319x422
>>43943444

>Is it more important that people do the right thing or that people be allowed to do what they want?

The former. Of course, in his society the "right thing" involves a lot of blood sacrifice, fleshwarping, fusing corpses into horrible shambling abominations to function as servitors, slavery, and government-mandated eugenics programs.

So I guess doing the right thing is somewhat relative. It'd probably be more accurate if I said he considered it more important to abide by religious/societal doctrines and do what is expected/required of you.
>>
It's more important that people want to do the correct thing. Rightness and the capacity to act in accordance with your own wishes are both irrellevant.
>>
>>43943444
My character would probably say something like...
"They are one and the same. One who does not believe in the righteousness of his cause does not deserve it. Upholding those beliefs and triumphing against those who would seek to crush them, whether they be a single man or a legion, is all the proof one needs that your path is the correct one."
>>
File: HermesHasQuestions.jpg (30 KB, 495x373) Image search: [Google]
HermesHasQuestions.jpg
30 KB, 495x373
>>43943444
>My answer?
>No.
>I deny your question and I deny the simplicity of your question.
The most important thing is that people are allowed the opportunity to choose to do the right thing.

If what a person wants is to prevent others from being able to do the right thing, they are wrong.
If a person chooses to do the wrong thing for themselves, that is their choice.
If a person chooses to do the wrong thing for others, if they impact other people's ability to choose their own path or do the right thing for themselves, that is wrong.
>>
>>43943444
Doing the right thing doesn't have any meaning if you are not allowed a choice. So probably the latter even if Im righting wrongs all the time.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.