[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what kind of effects does an anti-magic field impose on the undead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1445024837073.jpg (306 KB, 849x1200) Image search: [Google]
1445024837073.jpg
306 KB, 849x1200
what kind of effects does an anti-magic field impose on the undead? Liches?
>>
>>43918436
Summoned creatures of all types disappear, standard ones (everything not summoned) just keeps functioning (though you'd have to be a retarded Lich to stick around in an Anti-Magic field).

Though, of course, depends on the DM and Setting.
>>
>>43918436
I would make it to where regular undead are destroyed. Intelligent undead would act as if they were turned by the caster. Liches are made of special dm magic so are unaffected.
>>
>>43918436
I.T. D.E.P.E.N.D.S O.N. T.H.E. S.E.T.T.I.N.G.
>>
>>43918436
weirdly enough, most often undead things are only disabled by holy areas rather than antimagic ones. you know, like churches?

sarcasm aside, settings tend to consider negative energy to lean closer to demonic instead of magical. animated constructs like golems are turned off by antimagic though, so not useless.
>>
In standard D&D 3.5, neither undead nor constructs are effected in any way by anti-magic fields.
Other than non-Ex abilities being suppressed.

Summoned monsters disappear until the anti-magic field is gone, although their duration continue to tick away,
>>
Anti-magic fields are kind of weird anyway. There's so many different kinds of magic and what, they ALL share a single common feature that the field can suppress?
>>
It stops new undead from being animated, but whatever necromantic energy makes them move around seems to be classified as more of an elemental force than a magical one, and so it has no effect after the fact. Hence, plane of negative energy.
>>
>>43918436
You know, this gave me the great idea for a setting for a game. The party is a small group in a moderately sized town. The town is scared and alone, a vast darkness has descended all around it. The only thing keeping the monsters of the outside world at bay is a massive anti-magic field erected by some inquisitors around the town.
>>
>>43920801
>Cast shrink on a boulder to make it pebble sized
>Throw fistfuls of pebbles at town protected by anti-magic field.
>>
>>43921029
>they instantly crash to the ground
>the pitiful force imparted to the pebbles is abruptly nowhere near enough to a!low a boulder to fly through the air
>town gets impromptu wall caused by a circular heap of boulders
>>
>>43921094
>Cast petrify on a shit ton of angry bears
>Cast shrink on petrified bears
>Throw fistfuls of angry bears at anti-magic field
>>
>>43921094
>Fly over anti-magic field using a griffin or a hot air balloon or something
>Drop pebble-sized boulders from above the anti-magic field.
>>
>>43919053
In dnd, magic is basically strings of energy fluctuating in a specific waveform that influences reality. Sometimes with different types of energy weaving together.

Dispelling and antimagic is forcing the energy to be smooth and uniform throughout a target or an area. The energy is incapable of forming the patterns, and thus spells and enchantments are supressed for the duration of the antimagic field, unless it's stronger than the field or somehow protected from antimagic effects.
>>
>>43921149
>The bears hit the ground and burst into blood.
>>
>>43921223
>Infect bears with AIDS beforehand.
>>
>>43921214
>>43921149
Now you're using your noodle!

Though being in a position where you have magic and flight available to you, there's probably better ways to destroy one town.

I do not suggest throwing bears from a balloon however.
>>
>>43921249
WIZARDS.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.