[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /tg/ feel about mutations? This may make me sound like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: 12 fingered man.jpg (38 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
12 fingered man.jpg
38 KB, 540x405
How does /tg/ feel about mutations?

This may make me sound like a special snowflake but personally I get pretty uncomfortable thinking about my character growing extra body parts, or losing them, or having some other strange mutation. If you step into the mindset of more old school games where characters are more expendable, I can see it happening a lot easier.

But seriously; how do you handle mutations? How often do they come up in your games? Do you think they are an annoyance, a horrible thing, or more funny/dynamic roleplaying opportunities instead?
>>
>>43918207
I agree, I guess. That's over of the harder parts of playing Black Crusade or other games - I just don't like most of the mutations and I would rather get something nicer or not be mutated at all than be blessed with a third arm or some animal bits.
>>
Also I sort of fucked up on the OP, I meant mutations as in mutations you get from events that happens, not necessarily being born with them.

Like get hit with certain magic or touch the shrine of a chaos god; get a mutation. Maybe rolling on a mutation table.
>>
>>43918294
I've had experiences with it from dark heresy. It really varies game to game since the vague ones can royally screw the players (i.e. the obsession one in dark heresy, make it for dirt since hive worlds have none), can be fun, might not be since developing an extra limb all of a sudden should effect RP potentially killing the PC. If it's a damning effect, I've offered rerolls especially when it's super early game. So case by case basis I guess
>>
File: Vault Boy Mutation.jpg (6 KB, 320x156) Image search: [Google]
Vault Boy Mutation.jpg
6 KB, 320x156
If they're TEMPORARY or there's a way to remove them later, sure, great, it's a cool way to make the game really interesting for awhile.

If they're PERMANENT, yeah, no, fuck that. having your entire character concept get fucked over forever because you rolled badly on a table is complete bullshit. It's not fun, it's funny, it's not interesting, it's just fucking retarded.
>>
>>43918413
Its a good incentive not to fuck with things that can mutate you.
>>
>>43918413

Well you could remove them with magic or special surgery I'm sure.

But I think you may be going extreme in the other direction. This is like saying your character can't get an eye put out or a hand cut off for stealing either, you can't just say that nothing bad can happen to your character because that upsets you. That's half the game right there.
>>
>>43918448
In some game's they're unavoidable. Magical Burst being one that comes to mind, then again that particular games has bigger problems than the mutations thing.

It's also the one that gets me salty over this, but I should have known better than to play something so weeaboo to begin with... no matter how much my friends were begging me.
>>
>>43918207
Well I mean if it's punishment for you doing something dumb then I'm okay with it, as long as that was always intended. Like I replayed Baldur's Gate recently and forgot about the belt that changed your sex, and I put it on without identifying it even though I KNEW that identifying items was important. I just went, "Well, I guess I'm a girl now" because it was my fault.

Still, I don't think "you're slowly turning into something you don't want" is a bad plot hook. If it's sudden then it's kinda BS but whatever.
>>
>>43918516
I think if you are playing a game like that you should be prepared for that to inevitably happen.
>>
>>43918498
Generally losing an eye or a hand is a bit more structured and sensible than "HEY, YOU GOT BLASTED WITH MAGIC! ROLL A D100 TO SEE WHAT CRAZY WACKY SENSELESS THING HAPPENS!"
>>
>>43918413
>If they're PERMANENT, yeah, no, fuck that. having your entire character concept get fucked over forever because you rolled badly on a table is complete bullshit.

Dude, you can say that with ANY dice roll. It's not an argument.
>>
>>43918569
There is a reason magic is generally portrayed as dangerous. If motherfuckers are slinging spells of mutation you either prepare a countermeasure, stay the fuck away or get ready for a life with three arms.
>>
>>43918569

True, but losing a hand or an eye in my opinion is more career-ending for a character then getting a third arm. Even better if its unrealistic in that extra body parts actually work well and can be coordinated.
>>
File: 11247930575_4aa7a960ac_c.jpg (363 KB, 800x664) Image search: [Google]
11247930575_4aa7a960ac_c.jpg
363 KB, 800x664
>>43918413
>>43918516
>>43918569
>>
>>43918640
Yeah, having one of your hands replaced with a big crab claw is probably easier to adapt to than having your leg chopped off.
>>
>>43918207

Long time WFRP player. Love mutations. They're a perfect element of the character of the setting, and when played right and not over done, even the smallest mutation can make for great character development and plot expansion.
>>
>>43918569
Sometimes that is the tone of the game though-magic/mythos/chaos is dangerous and unpredictable and messing with it can yield dangerous and permanent consequences.
>>
File: Witch hag with owl familiar.jpg (735 KB, 1544x911) Image search: [Google]
Witch hag with owl familiar.jpg
735 KB, 1544x911
Anyone got any good mutation tables/fun characters while we wait?
>>
File: The Metamorphica.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Metamorphica.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43919249
>>
File: EM.jpg (84 KB, 499x500) Image search: [Google]
EM.jpg
84 KB, 499x500
>>43918207
That son of a bitch!
Prepare to die!
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.