[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to make a iaijutsu master for Pathfinder, because I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: SAM6.jpg (14 KB, 434x252) Image search: [Google]
SAM6.jpg
14 KB, 434x252
I want to make a iaijutsu master for Pathfinder, because I don't like both Samurai and Sword Saint. So I decided to make archetype for the Fighter, because he makes better Samurai than actual Samurai. Currently I want to implement a strong attack which also integrates a Sleight of Hand check, but I don't know how to really balance it.
Here are my thoughts - before rolling attack, you roll SoH check and if you hit 10 or more - you can strike. For hitting 20, 30, 40 and so on, you'll get accumulating bonus to damage. If you roll under 10, your attempt fails.
But here is the thing - I want to make iaijutsu dexterity based, since it looks like it has more to do with speed and precision. So fighter that prioritizes DEX, with class skill bonus (archetype will swap some skills), will get +8 on his SoH checks easily.
Shouldn't I pump the DC more? Like to 15? Keep in mind that this ability is not "numbers per day", you just need your weapon sheathed.
>>
There is an Iaijustsu Master prestige class in the 3.0 Oriental Adventures.

It's a little underpowered, but what you're describing here is extremely overpowered.
>>
File: 1375251530066.jpg (31 KB, 526x300) Image search: [Google]
1375251530066.jpg
31 KB, 526x300
>>43900745
I don't even know where to start with this shit.
>>
>>43900805
>extremely overpowered.
How so?
>>
File: 1448655566690.jpg (49 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1448655566690.jpg
49 KB, 960x960
>>
>>43900874
One of the foremost warnings of class design is to be wary of making a full BAB class with a sneak-attack-esque damage bonus.

The sleight of hand check is extremely easy to beat, and with various methods of boosting that skill, rewarding damage based on how high you roll is just begging to be abused. The only way to really balance it is what happened in the Oriental Adventures with the Iiajutsu Skill check, but that was a poor design choice because it sacrificed player utility for a raw combat bonus.

Ultimately, what you're describing is not really that different from the Iiajutsu master, who had the ability to treat a katana as a finesse weapon and had the Iiajutsu Skill as one of its class skills.

The problem, of course, is that it was an awful "I can hit once really hard, but that's all I can do" class.
>>
>>43901155
>I can hit once really hard, but that's all I can do
I want to shift it more towards "I can hit really hard, but not that often", with action management and stuff.
Also no damage dices, you'll get flat +1 for SoH checks and damage based on your level.
>>
File: nufJsOP.jpg (176 KB, 850x593) Image search: [Google]
nufJsOP.jpg
176 KB, 850x593
>>43900745
This is so fucking boring. Just convince your DM to use Path of War and play a Warlord or Warder with Mithral Current, which is literally iajutsu plus everything you've ever seen Kenshin do. All about draw/sheathe mechanics, bonus damage, and being faster than the other guy.

And you can do OTHER THINGS. If you're going to the trouble of making up something homebrew that is both A) too good compared to other Fighters and B) too worthless to compete with everything not bound by "must be corporeal and in melee range and not targeting my Will save with something" just...don't.

Here's Mithral Current: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dKCPPIpRoR9CZv0A35gLDnXl5itgRufjWTq83BIsMfs/edit

You can find all the other assorted rules by Googling. You could have found this one, too, but they name every GITP thread the same and it fucks up Google's algorithms.
>>
>>43901395
Why you guys always trying to shove PoW everywhere?
I just want slight weeb, without fightan magik
>>
Wouldn't it just be easier to be a Slayer with a focus on feinting?
>>
>>43901484
I want muh katana draw.
>>
>>43901249
I think it's probably best to just nix the sleight of hand check, since it's kind of tedious, and instead derive your bonus through action-based restriction.

Iijutsu Draw (Combat)
Prerequisite: Quick Draw

The first attack you make in a round with a weapon you just unsheathed gets a +3 damage (or +1d6, if it's your preference) bonus. You may also sheathe your sword as a swift action.

Drawing the sword is a free action (thanks to the Quick Draw feat), but you need to take a swift action to re-sheathe your sword if you want to perform the attack again.
>>
>>43901765
Neat idea with swift sheating.
Thanks, man!
>>
My problem with these kinds of builds is would a samurai really keep sheathing his weapon to draw it again next round?
>>
>>43901515

Then just get quick draw and this feat: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/mixed-combat-combat

Then use feint Slayer.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.