[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the game you're itching to run, but can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 392x265) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 392x265
What's the game you're itching to run, but can't for whatever reason?

Maybe your group is a poor fit, maybe you don't have the right system for it, or maybe the effort of researching and running it; none of that matters. Share your dream game here!
>>
A full Burning Empires campaign.
>>
Monsterhearts.

I fucking love shitty teen romance melodrama, but no one I know shares this tragic affliction.

*sighs audibly*
>>
A conspiracy game that jumps backwards and forwards throughout time, with the players handling a mix of generations of the same bloodlines and/or powerful immortals.

Tragically, I'm the only fan of Mummy: the Curse in existence, and the pitch reminds people of how shit Assassin's Creed has become.
>>
>tfw Night's Black Agents is basically my dream game come to life, and in my favorite system to boot
>half of my friends are huge fans of geopolitics and espionage
>the other half like vampires
>there's zero overlap

Oh, well.
>>
>>43892939

My dream game is the one I run without having a panic attack for an invested and thankful group.
>>
>everybody on /tg/ hates storygames
>no IRL group since I just moved

I just want to try Hillfolk

;n;
>>
>>43893329
I don't hate storygames, anon.

But I don't want to play Hillfolk.
>>
Eclipse Phase has too dense lore for new players to easily hop into and the system is shit but I love it.
>>
Beckoned by a daydream in which an old man spends his last 24 hours on the internet before dying alone, the players' characters arrive at a quaint suburb. Upon hearing that they've come to visit the old man, the townsfolk are more than happy to guide them to him.

Ever since they had that daydream, each character became a Confidant, cursed to repeat the last 24 hours of their own life (each individual scenario would have been played out as a solo game beforehand). After figuring out that the repeating day is directly linked to that old man dying, they decided to meet him in person after already exploiting the loops to improve themselves and everyone around them; depending on whoever figured it out first, they may have developed a familiarity with the town and its residents before the other players' characters appeared.

Originally, only the old man's flesh-and-blood children would become Confidants, but he never went down the path of fatherhood. By interacting with the townsfolk and learning the bond they share with the old man, the players must figure out both the reason the curse went to them and the way to free themselves from it once and for all.
>>
File: fat turd.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
fat turd.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>43892939
Space FBI/space SWAT/AI police + deus ex augmentaton and genetic engineering

tfw system is shit
>>
>>43893946
every*
>>
>>43893946
I might just hack together something with the Basic Roleplaying rules like I did for my very-low-fantasy shit, since every SF system I can find is either GURPS or is 80% shit I don't need and missing most of the shit I do need.

BRP has almost none of the shit I need, but at least it's really easy to completely overhaul with new rules and skills.
>>
>>43892939
I really want to run Black Crusade and/or Only War but with the exception of two players nobody can really roleplay beyond the average WoW NPC.
>>
I want to run Boatmurdered. The party is a group of dwarves forced to work with eachother to survive.
>>
File: 1343128262026.jpg (29 KB, 219x293) Image search: [Google]
1343128262026.jpg
29 KB, 219x293
Goblin Plague spreading across the land, the characters play as a watchmen/constable/guard in their city and have to try and keep their district together and make sure quarantine is kept.

and

PC's are part of the kings Inquisition and are sent to a small village, every night the forest alongside the village undead creatures start emerging until the dawn comes. Centres around them keeping the dead at bay, choosing how many hours in their day to rebuild and repair, what to do day to day then fight off the hordes in the night, they would have to try and survive for 17 days until a court wizard and his guard arrives and could push into the forest and clear out the necromancers lair.

Currently working on a Dwarf one. Not sure how it will play out yet but I am looking forward to it.
>>
>>43893946

That just sounds like a grittier Eclipse Phase.
>>
>>43895453
sorta
>>
>>43892939
Oh, I have so many.

I have my OVA inspired cyberpunk cop and biker gang games, a shit ton of Mekton Zeta stuff, a campaign based around being Carolingian nobles approaching the 830s and 840s, a thief's guild campaign, a pulp adventure campaign set in the 1920s and more.
>>
>>43892939
Car Lesbians.
System is easy as pie, very campy and silly, and I bet I could run one-shots or campaigns with very little difficulty.
The problem? The second, the very second, I bring it up, I'll go deaf from screams of REEEEEEEEEEMAGICALREALMREEEEEEEE!

Alternatively, Risus. Simple, zany, flexible.
Nobody ever shows any goddamned interest.
>>
>>43892939
Ironclaw

Great system, great setting, but my group has fur allergies.

Like chaos taint warping things, furries even by proximity make people act weird. One guy won't stop giggling at furries. It's like some kind of Pavlovian response, says he can't take them seriously. Another guy had a friend who suddenly quit hiding his power level regarding furries and just became increasingly weird and made all of it weird for him. The third guy seems to slip in laughs about inappropriate furry things into conversations way more than he really should. Dude number four I already know is a closet fur fag and kept the quietest out of the bunch but implied he didn't either way.

Shelved it for now.

"Dream campaign" to start was a bounty-hunting tour of sorts through the territories as a start to help establish the setting for the players. After that would launch into the actual meat of the political houses quarreling after they've sided with characters to pull them into the ongoing Game of Thrones between the houses. Anything from high seas adventures to classic dungeon diving for treasures is viable depending on who they end up with, I'd already penned out probable tasks and characters for each.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zw58knC9zI

Ever since I saw this video, Wizard Cops.

I don't think a game exists for this sort of thing.
>>
Post-apocalyptic swords and sorcery. Take a high-fantasy setting and throw a cataclysmic event onto it. In an age without gods or the Laws of Magic, madness reigns. Beastmen stalk the woods, Sorcerer Lords rule with machine and magic alike, and the horrible dragons of legend have awoken to install themselves as the new gods of man. Basically Thundarr the Barbarian with a dash of Korgoth of Barbaria.

>>43898172
Possibly Unknown Armies, if you drop any semblance of taking it seriously and ignore most of the fluff for your own wacky hijinks. If nothing else, it could give you inspiration for all kinds of crazy magic.
>>
File: 1352996314977.png (172 KB, 428x324) Image search: [Google]
1352996314977.png
172 KB, 428x324
>>43898083
I'm a closet furry and I would never expose my PC's to that, I imagine it would be like if you had a STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMYN PC it would just be shoving it down their throats.

If I roll a game, I give them the pieces and they put it together and it's worked so far.
>>
>>43892939
Easily has to be Time Wizards, either Sane and Sober or Drunk and dangerous. There's simply no interest in that kind of game in my group, and at least two members don't drink so that's out the window entirely.
>>
>>43898933
>I'm a closet furry and I would never expose my PC's to that, I imagine it would be like if you had a STRONG INDEPENDENT WOMYN PC it would just be shoving it down their throats.
It's not like furries don't crop up in D&D / PF and others. The setting was it's own thing too, not just for the sake of it, and the system is probably one of the better ones I've tried in the last five years.

The problem is when it comes up in the context of of 'that group of people' "furries". Otherwise nobody throws a shitfit over dragonborn, were-creatures, or that one time a guy made a Gnoll PC and such.
>>
I'd really like to run an Ar tonelico-styled game, but I'm concerned that the huge gap in narrative importance between the wizard equivalents and the fighter equivalents would make it hard to make a game that would be satisfying to all involved. Even in the '[caster species] are second-class citizens' setting of the first game, that's still a lot of narrative weight on the casters.
>>
>>43903412
I have played time wizards a half-dozen times, both sober and drunk. It's exactly as stupid and fantastic as you imagine. The description of "Like interpretive LSD" is perfectly accurate.
>>
Not really a system, but more a story I thought might be a neat idea for a campaign.

I was thinking of running a game based on one of those setting threads we had earlier, a space opera in which humanity destroyed itself and left behind organisms from Earth (dogs, cats, dolphins, bears, any organism shown to be capable of emotion and higher awareness), genetically modified to be capable of human levels of intelligence, and advanced robots built in their likeness. As time progressed after humanities destruction, the organisms began to divert from human cultures, forming vast empires across the galaxy and new religions based on their creators.

The campaign would start with the PCs doing what you would usually do in a space opera type setting, fighting off space pirates, taking jobs and bounties, etc. After a while, a strange job would lead them to an ancient derelict ship, several thousand years old, which contains a cryostasis pod with a most precious cargo, the last known live human child in the galaxy. The story would then center around the PCs either trying to keep the child a secret, or siding with a certain faction to keep the child safe as a massive war sparks because many factions want the last human for themselves.

I'm not really sure what system I would use for this actually.
>>
>>43905776
Engine Heart?
>>
>>43905785
Does that have rules for infantry combat though? Probably gonna have some breaching stuff going on.

If push comes to shove I could probably just mishmash different systems.
>>
>>43905808
Oh whoops, Engine Heart is a setting, not a ruleset, ignore that.
>>
>>43893016
Reminds me of the character concept I came up with while dicking around with the 4e character builder; a Fey Warlock who becomes a Feyliege, and playing off the resurrection feature, it turns out his Pact-holder is his own future self.
>>
>>43905824
It's both. Not entirely what you're looking for, probably, but that sort of after humanity intelligent beings making sense of their universe makes me think it might be a good fit.

Alternately: Ironclaw olololololol
>>
>>43905847
It's not really the exact same thing. The remnant organisms have human levels of understanding of pretty much everything. They can still sustain themselves after humanity's extinction, build their own sapcecraft, and build their own robots, hence why they've managed to fan out and civilize distant pieces of the galaxy.

The last human would probably be significant because many religions are based around the 'old creators', AKA humans, and believe that the last human is a Jesus-type figure that will cleanse them of their sins or something like that. Also, a good amount of advanced technology was lost due to it being locked behind databanks that could only be opened with human DNA, so that would give a reason for scientists and the big galactic empires to hunt down the last human as well.

>Ironclaw
lel, no. Isn't that just medieval, D&D type combat? I need something that can support spaceship dogfights, and foot combat with firearms for breaching segments.

Also, sorry if my typing is convoluted, it's 1 am and I'm tired as hell.
>>
File: Judge&Preservist.jpg (161 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Judge&Preservist.jpg
161 KB, 640x360
Degenesis

This game is so amazing. EVERYTHING about it screams awesome: The art, the setting, the metaplot & hidden secrets, the amount of work the producers put into it.
Seriously, check out their website and youtube trailers.

FUCK, I WANT TO PLAY THIS SO BADLY
To bad that I have not enough players.
>>
>>43905956
It's fine, bro, I'm not being very helpful, I know.

Sci-fi isn't my forte, and I don't really think there's any game that does actual dogfighting well? I dunno, I've heard good things about Firefly and Rogue Trader but I don't know enough to say more.
>>
File: Why.jpg (91 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Why.jpg
91 KB, 640x640
>>43892939
A political/military campaign about intrigue, war, and domination. It could be sci fi, fantasy, or even 1920s mobsters. I've played in a couple and they were the best times I've ever had in this hobby. I've tried to run them with my group on several occasions, always ending in disaster. My group has been together for a long time, and we are all good friends in real life, and while I do enjoy gaming with them a great deal, their roleplaying abilities range from having-a-cool-character-but-not-really-utilizing-it all the way to "wait, are we in combat", after thirty minutes of combat in which they've had five turns.

Not one of them has any motivation or self direction in games. When given freedom they basically sit around and wait for an NPC to tell them what to do. I've repeatedly handed them the power to conquer whole nations in many of my games, and the most Machiavellian they ever got was opening their own bar.
>>
>>43892939
Blades in the Dark, because it's a kickstarter game and so of course is taking an eternity to get finished.

I just want to run Thief: The RPG and blackjack some dumbass hammerites
>>
Traveller. My friends are not organised enough. We barely get a d&d session in every 2 weeks. But I want to see a swashbuckling crew careening around space.
>>
I've desperately wanted to run a homebrew I made. The premise is that the PCs are planeswalking adventurers living in the very center of the 8 known universes. The PCs can be literally anything they want as long as the rest of the group approves their character. Setting allows for use of advenced tech, space magic, or combinations of the two. There would be no structured campaign and would allow for the PCs to pursue literally any goal they want.

My two concerns is that I lack the system to properly run as it would be classes so GURPS maybe and that without structure I wonder if the PCs would flounder. It would be up to them to decide whether they want to spend their time conquering worlds and building an empire, fighting evil or good, trying to ascend into higher lifeforms, pursuing knowledge and power, gathering riches or simply fucking around doing awesome things in the inifinity of existence.
>>
>>43907386
correction there would not be classes*
>>
>>43903412
>Had episode of mental breakdown earlier this year
>Antidepressant dosage increased, second antidepressant/anti-anxiety drug prescribed
>Strongly warned not to drink while on this mix of medications
>Any alcohol causes me to get on board the Bi-Polar Express, next stop the Nowhere Pole
Fuck, why even live? At least I've got weed... oh, wait, I don't because I'm broke and I need to get clean in order to find a better job.

I WANT A FUCKING BEER AND A BOWL AND TIME WIZARDS
>>
Wargames count, right? I want to play a fireteam-based skirmish, with 3-4 max (or maybe a bit more insurgents) highly customizable minis and highly tactical gameplay. Something like a cross between Infinity and Fivecore/No stars in sight but five minutes in the future in Iraq/Afghanistan/Syria with Big Dogs , operators, small-time Nigerian warlords, and mercs, with d6-based mechanics.
>>
Amber Diceless.

My friends like rolling dice and being murderhobos too much to actually bother with thinking their way out of situations.
>>
>/tg/ flies into an autistic rage whenever GUMSHOE, Fate Core, Powered by the Apocalypse, or 2deep4u indie shit gets mentioned
>no IRL group anymore
>city I moved to has no FLGS under an hour away

Just kill me.
>>
I just want to be something other than GM.
I'll admit, I want to play the FFG Star Wars RPG enough that I already rolled up a character...
>>
A magical realm version of colonial America where everyone plays a founding father. Benjamin Franklin the wizard, Washinton is a fighter, etc
>>
>>43905956
Kind of sounds like Fragged Empires. You'd need to make up new races and stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's got spaceships and that lost technology feeling.
>>
I really do want to run a FATAL camapign for the experience, alas only one of my group is /d/eviant enough to tolerate it (even if I play everything for laughs).
>>
I've never run a game.

Some games which I might enjoy running include:

An exploration of a flooded, ruined fantasy city; and / or a maritime game centred around island exploration, the ocean and fishing
>>
Apocalypse World surrounding a tribal or primitive people.
>>
>>43909421
stop mixing the anti depressants and weed you idiot... if youre gonna smoke weed just get off the meds ur basically making them worthless
>>
>>43916661
I'll check it out, thanks anon.
>>
>>43906367
That sounds really neat.

As well as different enough from a setting I want to maybe fill out for myself that they won't sue me...
>>
>>43897431
>a campaign based around being Carolingian nobles approaching the 830s and 840s
I'd play it with you.

I've never GM'd myself yet but there are a ton of things I'd want to run. Yeah, most of these would be based on Hunter.
>Engine Heart
>A game similar in plot to Gravity Falls or Camp Weedontwantchs, where the PCs are all kids in the backwoods
>Campaign that follows the plot of a TIntin book.
>Campaign in homebrew setting with robot PCs navigating a post-apocalypse where magical creatures have also come back
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.