[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best system to run a Star Wars RPG with? pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
What's the best system to run a Star Wars RPG with?

pic related, it's the only non-dnd system I know
>>
>>43884709
edge of empire
>>
>>43884709
WEG D6.

EotE a close second, would be first without FFG's bullshit speshul snoflake dice.
>>
EOTE/AOR/F&D

there's also StarORE if you like ORE
>>
>>43884709
The only right answer is d20.
>>
>>43884761
>would be first without FFG's bullshit speshul snoflake dice
But you can't really know that for sure, since the "speshul snoflake dice" you're complaining are a core component of the system.
>>
>>43885128
Good point.
>>
>>43885128
they have a conversion chart so you can use regular dice

or just download a dice app for it. I know there's at least one roller for it
>>
>>43884761
>FFG
What's wrong with the dice system?
>>
>>43885494
not him but what turns me off of the FFG games is having to buy a whole new set of dice that only has uses with that one game
>>
>>43885353
Yes, but that's still the "speshul snoflake dice" that are central to the system, you're just using regular dice for a stand-in.
>>
File: dice-chart.png (37 KB, 400x88) Image search: [Google]
dice-chart.png
37 KB, 400x88
>>43885531
They are pretty cool dice though anon.
>>
FFG's obsession with bullshit special dice is why I was greatly disappointed to learn they bought L5R.

God I pray they stay true to R&K.
>>
>>43885353
>they have a conversion chart so you can use regular dice
If I wanted to reference a chart every single time I rolled I'd play a system where doing so at least added something to the game.
>>
D6
>>
>>43884709
People have been complaining about dice, but they're not that hard to get used to as long as at least one player in the group knows the rules.

I'd go with FFG. D6 would be my second choice. The only downside of FFG is that there isn't an Old Republic sourcebook, and between TOR, KOTOR and the comics this is what most people settle on playing.
>>
>>43884709
Is that MP5SD in bottom right photo?
>>
>>43887717
Looks like it my /k/ommando friend
>>
>>43884709
The FFG ones. The dice mechanics, while very offputting at first, are actually awesome. Yes, I was skeptical, everyone was, but once you actually sit down and play a few sessions to get used to it you realise that it's a really good way of doing it, especially for SW where the players should have plenty of agency over how their successes manifest.

The GURPS hack has the distinct disadvantage of trying to bridge GURPS and SW. I love both but just because you CAN combine 2 great things doesn't mean that you SHOULD.
>>
>>43885494
Nothing. It's excellent.
>>
>>43884959
You obviously never read the fight re-enactment of the Obi-Wan vs Maul scene. Complete and utter bullshit for a genre that should never slow below attack speed.
>>
>>43885494
It's inherently broken. No one plays it by RAW and it's slow as fuck.

D6 space is backwards compatible with the WEG stuff. Use that.
>>
>>43892678
>It's inherently broken
Gonna need you to back that up with details there, buddy.
>No one plays it by RAW
Riiiiiiight.
>and it's slow as fuck
Having actually used it, it's really not.
>>
>>43892970
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/37670/roleplaying-games/review-star-wars-force-and-destiny

I'm just going to be lazy and post this. It's typical FFG dross and not worth playing. If you like it, feel free. You people are like drones anyway and get seriously butthurt when someone points out the flaws in your game, so go rage at this dude instead.

Me? I'd rather play something sexier.
>>
File: female_406854-jenne.jpg (14 KB, 471x640) Image search: [Google]
female_406854-jenne.jpg
14 KB, 471x640
>>43887717
>MP5
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction.
>>
>>43893004
That review you linked?
The guy's wrong.
He doesn't understand how the system works, and INSISTS that everybody else is just doing it wrong.
This discussion was had MONTHS ago.
>>
>>43892678
>No one plays it by RAW
Umm, I hate to break it to you but that's untrue. Also it's not slow in my experience. I rarely see people complain about anything other than the fighter combat, other than that it's received overwhelming praise from the majority of posters that I've seen on here and met IRL. Sucks to hear that you didn't have a good session but if it was slow then odds are your party was playing it wrong or simply didn't know the rules very well.
>>
>>43884709
Anything but the old d20 system.

Saga is very good.
>>
>>43893004
We played it last night. I kept rolling advantages and nothing else, but since advantages are literally 1 to 1 with successes it wasn't a statistical anomaly, just really shitty design.

I loved building a character, I loved the idea of the system, but I would rather stick to my RuneQuest game with the firearms and Star Wars supplements.

This review was interesting because it talked about how brutal the math is, but only slightly. If you roll an average check with 2 in a characteristic and a proficiency die, you are more likely to fail than succeed... By a lot. You have about a 25%(ish) chance of success without boosts, a 25% chance of failure, and most rolls nothing happens. If you try something hard you will fail it, if you try something easy you will succeed - but the normal pace of the game is set to rolling multiple times on a single check over and over again trying to gain an advantage.
>>
>>43893004
>Patreon link at top of page
Opinion immediately discarded, go to hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
>>
>>43884761
it's refreshing an RPG crafts it's own resolution system instead of being yet another d6 pool, d20 or percentile system.
>>
>>43884959
Haha yes. The only right answer to "which version should I avoid"
>>
>>43893004
Yeaaahhhh. Read that before. He barely even tried and based all that on incorrect assumption and first impression.

Everyone else who bothered to learn the system and has a good sense of how to tell a story has liked it. If you play tabletop more like a hack and slash videogame, then you should probably move along.
>>
>>43894613
>He barely even tried and based all that on incorrect assumption and first impression.

How do you barely even try when you've GMing over at least 4 sessions?

At that point you should have a competent appreciation for how the game fucking handles.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.