[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I emulate the unique magic in unsounded?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (133 KB, 800x920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133 KB, 800x920
How can I emulate the unique magic in unsounded?
>>
Explain
>>
>>43872512
Remove bar from penis, become unsounded.
>>
>>43873056
You sonofabitch this has no right making me laugh this hard.
>>
File: 122820130952145.jpg (58 KB, 476x556) Image search: [Google]
122820130952145.jpg
58 KB, 476x556
>>43873056
>>
>>43873056
Took me a second and now I'm wiping up tea that shot from my nose
>>
>>43873056
Holy shit Im dying.
>>
File: 1447453539064.jpg (35 KB, 209x296) Image search: [Google]
1447453539064.jpg
35 KB, 209x296
>>43872512
Three ways:

1. Autistically keep track of all possible elements in an environment. Your wight is basically a chemistry wizard and must be treated as such.

2. Let players improvise and have rolls decide if things are sufficient. For example, if you're in a forest, wood aspect is in large supply. However, if the player wants water, he must roll to see if there's a river or something. But you as GM don't keep track of that and it's basically on the player and luck.

3. Roll for it all the time.
>>
>>43873228
That is one of the shittiest reaction images I have ever seen on 4chan.
>>
>>43873056
I don't get it
>>
>>43873369
You could have cards to represent the presence of elements in the environment. I still don't know what unsounded's magic is.
>>
>>43873425
You have two choices:
1. Continue living in ignorance.
2. Google the definition of "sounding" and risk SAN loss.
>>
>>43873445
Eh it's not that bad
>>
I remember someone using Fate aspects for this.
>>
File: Flash Sweat.png (80 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Flash Sweat.png
80 KB, 225x225
>>43873056
Dammit, /d/, I thought you're in my other tab.
>>
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/world/index.php/Main_Page

Read this. As for how to do it? Fuck if I know. Most common system to adapt it to would be Pathfinder, and I have NO fucking clue how to do that.
>>
I know the author does roleplay in the world, so try to find the system they use, or email ashley
>>
>>43873772
Yeah and Murkoph (sp?) is based on her character.
>>
>>43873772
They used a narrative system, I believe, sk if the GM thought it was possible then it was, probably decided difficulty by gut.
Ask in Monday's /co/ thread, she drops by relatively often.
Or ask/look on her tumblr.
>>
>>43873428
It's kinda like Avatar-style bending with more abstract elements taken into consideration. For example, you can not only make the water in a nearby river float around, you can also accumulate the "sharpness" of the blades of grass around you and combine them into a slice attack. The bigger or further away an object, the more difficult to borrow its attributes.

Spells that enable you to do that stuff have to be researched, written down and officially published in magiclingo before you may use them. "Tacit" spellcasters are rare and don't have to use this, which makes them less predictable in battle. Spells can also be used to enchant objects, ranging from giving robot spiders cute personalities to glamoring something ugly into something cute by shifting the "cuteness" attribute from somewhere else.

Magic can be disrupted by tearing apart the magical fabric underlying reality. First Materials ("First Iron", "First Gold", etc) are immune to almost all magic and most people don't know why (First Materials are connected to a different magical layer that doesn't interact with the one most people use).

The magical layer's basically a spirit realm. When you die, it keeps the memories of your soul before reincarnating it.

That's what I remember about it anyway, there might be stuff I got wrong or that's incomplete.
>>
>>43873996
Sounds like Time Wizards except less abstract.
>>
>>43873428
Everything has aspect(s) that you can move and manipulate. Here's some examples from the comic itself:
>Moving the loud aspect of a raging bulldog's growls to your own voice so you can make a booming announcement of a criminal's escape
>Stealing the edge of a soldier's sword and cutting that same soldier's arm off.
>Taking the edges of the blades of grass around you and using it to blast a blade of energy at a enemy
>Moving the pressure of a waterfall in between your hands then directing it towards your opponent to push them and everything in that direction back
>Moving the liquid aspect of a flowing river into solid concrete to make it liquid (it re-solidified seconds later).
>Moving objects
>Making glamours by taking colors and smells from objects and putting them onto yourself
Also note that unless your parents were tacit casters (able to cast without speaking) you had to speak a multitude of command words out loud to manipulate and use the (forgot the name of the mana they use).
>>
>>43873996
>Magic can be disrupted by tearing apart the magical fabric underlying reality. First Materials ("First Iron", "First Gold", etc) are immune to almost all magic and most people don't know why (First Materials are connected to a different magical layer that doesn't interact with the one most people use).

Sort of kind of. The magical layer (the khert) actively cleans up after wizard fuckery, enforcing normal logic on the world. Things that have had their Solidness removed can't physically exist, so the khert dissolves the object, for example. Pymary (wizardry) acts by telling the khert to shuffle things around, like the aforementioned grass blade, transferring the "contour" or "edge" of the grass to the air.

Normal, lawful magic exists by using trigger words that have been burned into the khert. So you say "Fireball" and that's a regulated spell that concentrates the Temperature from the air and chucks it at somebody, as opposed to manually gathering each aspect of Temperature and doing it yourself. There are illegal mages called greywrights who do it in a weird new language (called gruftgrammery), and tacit casters who do it without words at all.

First Materials aren't attached to the khert, so any enchantments put on them are permanent (because normally the khert reverts them over time), and you can't fuck with them using pymary. A sword of First Iron, for example, can't have it's edge stolen, because it doesn't connect to the khert.
>>
Honestly I'd latch on to any GM trying to run a game in this setting with a narrativistic system on roll20.
>>
>>43874070
I suddenly want to see a mixture of this and Time Wizards, with as much absurdity as that implies. Does that make me a bad person?
>>
>>43874538
Explain time wizards to me like how anons explained pyramy.
>>
How would a camera be constructed in this setting? Or other pieces of more tech-type magitech?
>>
>>43874816 In time wizards you play an unbelievably boring person who became a moment in time (that is also a wizard).
Your magical power(s) are based on what you were doing during your moment.
You can do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING remotely definable as those actions, but the farther they've been abstracted the harder they are to do.

A good example from the rulebook is "Move the Cat"
You *could* use it to physically move a cat, but re-arranging the word cat within the name of another object to turn it into something else is also fair game (though slightly more difficult).
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.