[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you guys have a suggestion for a system for a low fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 13213514.jpg (252 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
13213514.jpg
252 KB, 1920x1080
Do any of you guys have a suggestion for a system for a low fantasy setting that isn't completely devoid of any and all supernatural elements.

I wanted to run a game about witch hunts where the players are all normal humans that hunt supernatural entities.

Pic sort of related because of the magic hunting.
>>
File: 1231213513155313.jpg (932 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1231213513155313.jpg
932 KB, 1024x768
bump for any advice.

A picture of Berserk would have gotten more attention and made more since as an example of what kind of setting I was looking for.
>>
>>43857312
I think Beyond the Supernatural is like that assuming that you are willing to face Palladium's game system
>>
Any other suggestions?
>>
>>43857312
What animoo is this for those of us that can't read moon runes
>>
>>43858544
Anti-Magic Academy: The 35th Test Platoon
>>
>>43857312
Burning Wheel could do that just fine, really. Take a look at the monster burner for ideas for enemies for them.
>>
>>43857312
>low fantasy setting that isn't completely devoid of any and all supernatural elements.

So, a low fantasy setting?
>>
>>43858746
Yes, I know it's redundant, but I've run into a lot of people that confuse low fantasy with no fantasy and it ends up taking control of the whole thread and ruins all of the discussion.
>>
Fantasy Craft would do a pretty job of that. It runs fine with no magic at all, and if you want to have magic strictly in the hands of the antagonists the nonmagic player classes can handle that just fine too.

It actually has a number of suggested variant rules ("campaign qualities" is the term they use) that can slant your campaign more toward low fantasy, and two of the three premade settings for it are actually a pretty good fit for the sort of low-fantasy, magic mainly in the hands of antagonists campaign you're looking for. Cloak & Dagger is focused on espionage and political intrigue during the decline of the not!Roman Empire, and magic is rare and strictly regulated. There's also Epoch, which is basically stone-age Native Americans fighting against invading iron-age demon/cthulhu cultist Aztecs, with a pulpy Conan-esque slant. The lower tech level and other details of these settings might not quite fit what you're looking for, but you can at least look at the campaign qualities they use as a jumping-off point for running your own setting.
>>
>>43857312
>setting features giant robots powered by souls of heroes, giant dragon robots powered by souls of heroes, magical weapons with personalities that range from sadistic bitches to dandy gentlemen voiced by Jouji Nakata, literal gods, actual witches, zombie infestations, body hopping witches, vampires(mostly extinct), elves(mostly extinct), weapon merchant alchemists ruled by a body hopping cunt that survives via gene hopping every time you kill one of her bodies, samurai half vampires that want to end the world so they can remake it and bring their crush back from the dead and fucking shoggoths
>low magic
>>
>>43859684
He did say it was only "sort of related because of the magic hunting".
>>
New World of Darkness. You can do either Mortals or Hunters. Read up on Hunter: the Vigil.

You start out as a plain old human and you hunt supernatural beasties with whatever is at hand. Eventually there are compacts and conspiracies to provide more resources. It's urban fantasy, basically no magic is available to the player characters until they're ranked up a bit.
>>
I know that it may seem like a knee jerk reaction, but GURPS Monster Hunters is exactly what you are talking about. Perfect for stating up modern day people where everyone isn't an operator like let's say Delta Green.

WoD works well and is fun, might be a good choice if you like things less crunchy even if there is some broken shit. I love the one roll damage+hit resolution and the contacts options in character creation.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.