[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so what system allows for powers like his? that there is no roll
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8
File: kilgore-e1448030945987 (1).jpg (46 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
kilgore-e1448030945987 (1).jpg
46 KB, 700x467
so what system allows for powers like his? that there is no roll against his powers, he just says and you obey.
>>
>>43850630
a bad one
>>
>>43850630
jessica jones clearly had some absurdly high bonus to here rolls to resist towards the end of the series
>>
>>43850630
Freeform, although be prepared to deal with everyone retroactively being immune to your powers in the first place.
>>
>>43850630
Wild Talents you can make powers that are literally only stoppable by a perfect defence so there is that.

You could also just make a power and remove the resistance to it in any system. If you do that though and want it to be interesting make sure to do it for everyone. Guy who controls minds no saves is a lot less scary when literally every other super can kill someone if they have the drop on them
>>
>>43850630
My group never did it but 5th edition has those passive rolls i guess? His passive roll on control person was so high the average person would auto fail
>>
>>43850630
Kilgraves powers are pheremone based, he needs time and proximity for them to take effect. I haven't watched the series, I'm assuming they don't cock it up by having him take over people by the phone. Essentially he uses pheremone to induce suggestibility then causes a hypnotic state.

Either way, the solution is a hazmat suit
>>
>>43850630
Vocal Telepathy
Any creature that hears your voice must obey your spoken command.
Weakness: Any MC or BBEG gets a regular mind save, unless plot says they succeed instead, and even then only in favor of BBEG.
>>
>>43850680
Can't you destroy the earth by using less than half of the default starting points in Wild Talents?
>>
File: br4ULpI.jpg (423 KB, 1023x1423) Image search: [Google]
br4ULpI.jpg
423 KB, 1023x1423
>>43850630
>he just says and you obey.
Doom disagrees.
>>
>>43850702

And even outside that, you can resist him.

It's just bloody, bloody hard.
>>
>>43850710
Doom is Doom, you can't go by Doom
>>
>>43850710
why hasnt Doom won all of the marvel universes yet?
>>
>>43850731
He has. He's on New Game+ now.
>>
File: trust.png (36 KB, 186x579) Image search: [Google]
trust.png
36 KB, 186x579
>>43850706
Depending on the starting points maybe, not sure about actually destroying the earth.

This however is in the corebook
>>
>>43850731
He has. He's like an MMO player though. Progression/conquest is fun, weekly raid schedule/upkeep is boring.
>>
>>43850731
Because there are squirrels in some of those universes.
>>
>>43850747
Why is there a skill specifically for suppressing nuclear fusion? Is it meant for people who have other nuclear powers, so they can control them better?
>>
>>43850801
Wild Talents lets you point-buy to create powers.
>>
>>43850710
I'm not huge on comics, but do we actually know that Doom isn't just lying? Like, his anti-mind-control is actually in the helmet, not the mask?
>>
>>43850801
Essentially the system is set up where you an buy a power that is
a)Offensive
b)Defensive
c)Utility
or a combination of the above, obviously costing more for each.
Offensive powers you roll as damage pools, can be essentially anything, defensive you roll to reduce damage, can be essentially anything, and utility, which you can roll to do one particular thing, can be essentially anything.

Flying could be all three for example, for three times the cost (I fly into him and punch him at supersonic speed, I dodge in the air, I fly to the super villains base)

So utility power starts with the base suppressing nuclear fusion (Because it can be essentially anything) and then adds modifiers to that to define range, size of effect, shit like that. If you think that's over powered as shit, read that side bar again because you are right and if someone is min maxing in wild talents no one will have fun.
>>
>>43850630

No competent game system would allow this with no save at all, though you could just ramp up your save DCs with a custom feat.

You *can* save against Kilgrave though. There are several instances of him giving an order, the person not reacting, and him having to repeat it. ("Tell me what you want. .....Quickly!").

So probably the closest you can do off the top of my head is Shadowrun 4e (and possibly other editions) and just artificially boost your willpower and magic so that you can cast with no risk of drain ever. You'd need an absurd amount of karma or a GM fiat to do it, but that's the only system I know offhand where something like Kilgrave could be done.
>>
>>43850747
imagine a super hero who's power is total world destroying nuclear detonation and simply calls up villains varying from world dominating threats to holding hostages and tells them to knock there shit off or they, the people they are harming and the world they want to control will die.
He'd be one big nuclear deterrent
>>
>>43850630
What if tehre is a roll but he has a very high DC and most people don't have high enough saves?
>>
>>43850630
That System Where The DM Is A Douchebag.
>>
>>43850832
He could be, but that would be all according to Dooms plan.
>>
>>43850875
And then the story becomes some omnicidal manic tries to kidnap him to brainwash and use as a weapon, and he can't really defend himself without killing everyone.

Bam, overpowered superpower that makes plot hooks by simply existing and being way too powerful. Balance isn't required to tell interesting stories.
>>
>>43850855
I'm skimming over the flaws in Wild Talents and it looks like it may be possible to perfectly replicate Cyclops's power from X-Men in this game.
>>
>>43850918
The system is designed to be as freeform as possible, I really wouldn't be suprised if it works
>>
>>43850630
The system you're looking for is called 'masturbating'.

>>43850710
>How I deal with psykers.jpg
>>
BLACKED
L
A
C
K
E
D
>>
Some games have Pheromone control.

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Pheromone_Manipulation

It's just the pheromones make victims susceptible to whatever he asks for.
>>
>>43850702
I actually like the show's version more. It's a kind of virus-thing that he emits that allows him to essentially hijack your brain. It still has limited range and duration, but he actually gets upgraded enough that he takes over an entire hospital at once and delivers orders through the PA system.
>>
>>43850832
Because Doom is just that intense -- indomitable will is basically his superpower.

That, and being second best at virtually everything imaginable. Seriously, he's makes the second best gadgets after Mr. Fantastic, the second best armors after Iron Man, is the second best sorcerer after Dr. Strange, and is the second best strategist after Black Panther.
>>
>>43850879
Or where he's trying to make the players be creative and find a different and unusual way to deal with the villain. Provided he doesn't just use it as "rocks fall, everyone dies". Then he is just a douchebag.
>>
File: God Doom.jpg (120 KB, 961x328) Image search: [Google]
God Doom.jpg
120 KB, 961x328
>>43850731
He did.

The multiverse was dying.
The Heroes failed to stop it happening.
The Villians failed to blow it up to save themselves.
So Doom killed the beings that did it, saved the remains, ascended to godhood, and stitched the bits together into a working universe.

Here he is on his throne with his wife Susan Storm, his daughter Valleria and his sheriff Steven Strange (the only two who remember the original multiverse).

Shit is bannanas.
>>
>>43851050
Got any idea of what issue to start with to read this?
>>
>>43851273
Start from Hickman's Avengers #01, then pick up his New Avengers. They both lead to Secret Wars.
>>
>>43851291
thanks.
>>
>>43851050
Except now everything has gone back to how it was and doom no longer wears his suit or Mask, he's just come guy in an armani suit also he got lame. Shit is lame.
>>
>>43851349
He'll go back to his Suit and Mask eventually, probably right when they bring back RICHARDS!
>>
>>43850710
>successful will roll.jpg
>>
>>43851012
To be honest, Doom has always seemed the best at everything except Richards and Strange's stuff. His armour is usually better than Stark's and his plans are more bananas than T'challa's. He's a Shang Chi tier martial artist IIRC too.

It's no surprise that he often ends up as the BBEG of so many Marvel crossovers.
>>
Scion has abilities like this that only creatures with Legend can resist.
>>
>>43850918
If you do enough homework in Wild Talents you can literally recreate any superhero imaginable. Its flexibility is staggering

>>43850801
Wild Talents is a game it's extremely easy to create a character who can go around town blasting people's heads off at lightspeed, and it's not even that expensive. But the point of the game is that if you're playing as the Amazing Head Exploder, you're going to face some consequences. The game's subtitle is "Superhero roleplaying in a world gone mad" and it's extremely easy and fun to follow that to its logical conclusion.
>>
>>43850987
Woah, that's a huge spoiler mate. We have spoiler tags for it.
>>
>>43850689
Maybe you mean 4e, 5e would be the worst system for this (very low numbers)
>>
>>43850721
this
>>
>>43852132
Any news on the second edition?
>>
>>43852233
The show is literal digitized garbage. Who cares
>>
In the comics Dr. Doom captures him, then walks into the room with him with no defense and doesn't obey via sheer willpower. He doesn't even struggle.

There is a roll to resist. It's just really high.
>>
>>43853021
Are you perhaps referring to >>43850710
>>
>>43850702
In one of the episodes he walks into a strangers house and tells them they are happy to have him stay. Then he tells the kids that he never met before to go to the closet and be quiet. They do so without hesitation.
Watch the show.
Then theorycraft.
>>
>>43850630
>no roll against
What system allow this bullshit?
>>
>>43852211
Since you seem to know what you are doing, and I've run into a problem with statting a guy up in Wild Talents, mind giving me a hand?

I'm trying to create a superhuman who is literally completely unmovable. Bullets splinter on his skin, not even indenting it. A train crashes into him, and breaks apart before his flesh even compresses. If you could somehow throw a planet at him, there would be a neat hole in the shape of his body all the way through, and he would remain completely untouched. Obviously the remaining undamaged by anything would just be 10hd in Invulnerability, but how would you stat the immovable aspect?
>>
>>43853488
Probably a utility power of "Can not be moved" at 10hd just to be straightforward
>>
>>43853488
A power with the Useful quality (immovable object), lots of wiggle dice. Add shit to taste.
>>
>>43850832
>found godhood beneath him
>getting mind controlled by some scrub

Do you dare doubt the power of DOOM?
>>
>>43850630
It's called GM Fiat.
>>
>>43850630
You can Will Save Purple Man.

DOOM has done it, others have done it too. I think Ben Grimm is also on the same willpower tier as DOOM.
>>
>>43853488
Hmm, a puzzle. The way I see it, you've got a creative application of the Speed Capacity, since the power alters the way that momentum and inertia affect your character, but you're also inflicting damage as well-- destroying the objecting coming at you, requiring the Attacks Quality.

You could do it two ways. One way, the more proper way according to the book, is to expand the Power's qualities with Attacks Mass and Useful Speed. However, I think a more creative approach is to stretch the rules of the book a bit and give it Attacks Speed and Mass, which can be interpreted as doing damage to solid objects with their own velocity.

Something like this:

Attacks Speed, Mass (4pts)
Extras: Permament (4pts), Penetration 10 (10pts), Disintegrate (2pts), Booster 22 (Mass) (22 pts)
Flaws: If/then (-1pts) (applies only to objects moving at significant velocity), If/then (-1pts) (Disintegration applies only to objects at vehicular speeds relative to durability)

Total Cost: 40 points per die

Depending on how you interpret the No Physics extra (1 point) as relating to your character not budging from his position, you may want to use that too.

Booster 22 Mass allows the attack to affect an object with the Mass of the Earth, which satisfies that part of the effect.

Continued.
>>
>>43853740
^Continued:

The first If/Then flaw prevents this power from just exploding objects that the user is just brushing past. It needs to be travelling at a significant velocity to be damaged, which can be agreed upon between the GM and Player.

Penetration 10 lets this power pierce the density of a neutron star, per page 86.

Disintegrate, I think, does a good job at allowing the attack to just shatter whatever it's hitting. If it does enough damage to the object smashing into it, then that object is so badly destroyed that it might as well disintegrate. The 2nd If/Then flaw also enforces that-- it means if someone swings a baseball bat at you, it will shatter, but a car or whatever needs to be travelling at road speed to be disintegrated, a train even faster, a plane faster still. It's again flexible and up to interpretation, but I think a reasonable GM should be able to work with it.

there you have it. Pretty expensive but you're giving a character the power to destroy basically anything just by standing still, so it should be pricey.
>>
>>43852814
People with different taste?

I love watching Vampire Diaries even though it's trash.

Don't be a jerk.
>>
>>43850630
No one I hope.
>>
>>43852121
I'm fairly sure he isn't Shang Chi tier at martial arts, though he might come close
>>
>>43850645
not bonus, immunity.
>>
>>43853546
>>43853548
>>43853740
>>43853758
Thanks, I'll think it over.
>>
>>43852814
People with good taste. Unlike you.
>>
>>43850630
Literally any system? Any one would work, because now you're talking about GM fiat, which exists in any system with a GM.
>>
>>43850710
Mary sue pecking orders are important
>>
>>43851050
Doom is fucking awful and Battleworld is purest cancer.

But then, Marvel's been going down the shitter for a long, long time. At least their MCU stuff is still good because it has decent writers who care.
>>
>>43850710
Knowing Doom, that's probably a Doombot
>>
File: martial vs caster.gif (479 KB, 440x250) Image search: [Google]
martial vs caster.gif
479 KB, 440x250
>>43850801

Wild Talents it Exalted ORE, if you want to be a supersonic luchador who can piledrive the moon, that's possible, at the same time the system is built up in a way where you'll have to explain WHY they're a supersonic luchador and what that supersonic luchador wants out of suplexing the sun.
>>
>>43850630
Nobilis, a game in which you play physical gods trying to stop beautiful, terrible creatures called Excrucians from destroying reality one piece at a time. Kilgore would actually make a cool Deceiver, which are Excrucians who destroy reality by lying so well that the universe actually believes them. Kilgore might also make a decent Noble of Desire, since all he's doing is making people -want- to do things for him.
>>
>>43851050
Man, comic books sure have some bullshit plots.
>>
>>43853488
Honestly, probably the no physics extra.
>>
>>43850731
He did actually.
>>
>>43850630
Mutants and Masterminds.
The Purple Man's powers just have an EXTREMELY high will save; Daredevil can resist them thanks to his incredibly precise metabolic control and ability to focus, both necessities thanks to the overwhelming sensory input of his powers.

His powers aren't psychic in nature so the usual defenses against psychics don't work against him thanks to his insidiously his powers work compared to blunt force brain invasion.
>>
>>43850702
He does at one point, but it's clarifies that actually he's in the building at the time and he was doping on stuff to massively expand his radius and control range, whereas earlier he needed t be relatively close and see him.
>>
File: 1352949915387.png (105 KB, 458x620) Image search: [Google]
1352949915387.png
105 KB, 458x620
>>43856043
>because it has decent writers who care
>>
I was thinking of setting up a side villain that works as Killgrave in my 5e campaign. He'd be a complete and utter fraud, though, basically a gimped Bard relying on a wand of Control Person and a high Charisma.

I still think it could work, but not as the main BBEG.
>>
>>43856419
In comparison to the comic writers, they definitely care more at this point.

>>43856452
Would be good as a reoccurring nuisance or guy the party hates.
>>
>>43850712
One of the reason's Killgrave's powers are so difficult to resist is specifically BECAUSE their biochemical and not psychic; a psychic in Marvel unless they're extremely high-end (Prof X level) basically invasively inserts an idea into your active consciousness, and thus a strong will can resist it the same way a strong arm can stop a man from shooting you up with a needle.

The Purple Man's powers are like him slipping you a date-rape drug without you knowing so it's much more subtle; his pheromones tell your brain that if WANTS to do this rather then force your body like a puppet by sending invasive commands, which makes it hard to resist.

Daredevil can do it except at EXTREMELY close ranges because his metabolic control is insane thanks to his ninja shit.
>>
>>43850645
>toward the end

Dude, she had it the whole time
>>
File: image.jpg (275 KB, 807x1217) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
275 KB, 807x1217
>>43850832
Doom doesn't lie, that's why.
The gist of why is vague, but basically it's because lies imply a need to hide and a need to hide implies weakness and fear of someone hearing the truth.

And Doom fears nothing.
>>
>>43856464
Exactly my intentions. Knowing my merry band of murderhobos, though, they would probably snipe the motherfucker from a distance before even investigating who he is or how he does what he does.
>>
File: image.jpg (394 KB, 1024x1555) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
394 KB, 1024x1555
>>43851012
>the second best armors after Iron Man

Doom is second in NOTHING.
Rather, sometimes Doom has areas which he chooses not to expend his full greatness on, that there might still be a challenge left on Earth for Doom.
>>
>>43856524
If only he could have contingencies.
>>
>>43856373
It's hard to say if comics Purple Man and series Kilgrave's powers work the same, since only one person has ever been able to resist him in the series and even that was the result of a probably unique set of circumstances.

And he really only used it on a bunch of normal humans and a couple low-level supers.
>>
>>43856573
My players wouldn't care.

We played through Mines of Phandelver earlier in the year and they wanted to - and almost went ahead with this plan - burn the entire Neverwinter Forest to kill the Cragmaw goblins.

Killing one guy, even if he has a contingency plan, would mean nothing to them. Sometimes it's hard to craft interesting stories, but it's never boring.
>>
>>43856576
Given that his powers didn't work in a hermetically sealed room and his father describes his powers as "biochemical", I think they basically work exactly like in the comics.

An easy explanation as to why Jess became immune was simple overexposure; if his pheromones alter brain chemistry then like any other drug eventually it starts to be less effective because the person just had too much of it over time, the same reason why addicts need higher and higher dosages.
It helps that nobody else was really exposed to it as frequently as Jess was and even his parents bailed out on him fairly early on and he just kinda flitted through life torturing/using random people for brief periods.
>>
>>43856651
His father also explicitly calls the power a virus, meaning they aren't the same as the comics.

Overexposure might have had something to do with it, but Kilgrave's powers got stronger over the course of the last third or so of the show and Jessica was still immune to them, so something else might have been going on. Something more related to Jessica's powers, or to her psyche.

Kilgrave also never tried to use his power on anybody else with an altered biology except for Luke Cage, who it didn't seem to work on quite as well as normal based on his dialogue while trying to kill Jessica. We have no idea how it would work on other empowered humans like Bruce Banner or even Steve Rogers, or how it would work against any of the aliens of the MCU. Or even potentially how it would work on Inhumans.
>>
>>43850710
Only in Doom is there salvation
>>
>>43856057
>Wild Talents it Exalted ORE
I knew that already. I suspected when first reading about Wild Talents, then I became sure of it when
>>43850680
Used the term "perfect defense". I don't think there's any game where that term applies that isn't Exalted-level power.
>>
>>43856762
Well I mean it isn't perfect, but the only way to get past it would be to have an equally perfect offense so I guess it works out, both are equally bullshit
>>
>>43856896
If World Destruction Man tries to use his power, Bullshit Stopper Man(Precognition, Teleport with ridiculously high initiative) will teleport him into a blackhole before he can do anything. The only way to beat Bullshit Stopper Man is to either have gravity immunity + a way of getting back, or have your own precognition and even higher initiative than his teleportation. I think it takes less points to defend against Bullshit Stopper Man than it does to make Stop Bullshit more effective at overcoming that defense.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.