[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quotes Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: MJDG10-001I.jpg (77 KB, 648x700) Image search: [Google]
MJDG10-001I.jpg
77 KB, 648x700
This is a thread to post either original or historical quotes for characters to be able to use in game and help establish their personality.

I myself am looking for quotes that would fit an old, grizzled veteran soldier (medieval).

What are you guys looking for?
>>
Bump the 2nd.
>>
>>43847277
"It's 'Tommy this' and 'Tommy that' and 'Tommy, how's your soul?'

But it's the thin red line of valor when the drums begin to roll."

"I've served in Britain forty years. What should I do in Rome?"

Basically, anything Kipling will do.
>>
>>43847277
Always be wary of an old man in a profession where men die young.
>>
>>43847277
"Is this the hill you want to die on?"

Attributed to US marines, this idiom means to think on what is and isn't worth dying for.
>>
>>43847277
''A thousand men have tried to take my life.. Do you want to make that a thousand and one?''
>>
>>43847277
''You doubt my prowess, boy? I've tasted more steel than the smith's forge!''

''I've grown used to act of killing.. It's the screaming that gets me.''

''I've outlived royal bloodlines.. I doubt this place shall be my grave''

''As a young man I wanted all the bards to sing of me.. Now I just want them to shut up so I can sleep in peace.''
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 382x597) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 382x597
>I sometimes envy the dead ,for they know peace from this evil
>sometimes , but otherwise i pity them for not partaking in the insane circus of life
>If we only wouldnt know fear , so many would have no reasons

>free will is a myth , religion is a joke! we are all pawns to something greater.... ME!

>(after character gets a lethal desease) YOU CANNOT KILL ME BECAUSE I AM ALREADY DEAD TOMORROW
>>
>>43847277
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse. When a people are used as mere human instruments for firing cannon or thrusting bayonets, in the service and for the selfish purposes of a master, such war degrades a people. A war to protect other human beings against tyrannical injustice; a war to give victory to their own ideas of right and good, and which is their own war, carried on for an honest purpose by their free choice, — is often the means of their regeneration. A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. As long as justice and injustice have not terminated their ever-renewing fight for ascendancy in the affairs of mankind, human beings must be willing, when need is, to do battle for the one against the other.”
>>
>>43847277
"Sometimes you're the Welshman.

Sometimes you're the Sheep."
>>
It falls to us, to preserve the health of the whole by ensuring the proper functioning of the part. And should the finger become gangrenous, sever it, and take its place.

When matters are at their most cut-and-dry is when you must be most wary.

Eyes open. Always.

The individual is unimportant to the whole. The symbol is what matters. Become that symbol.

There is duty before all else.

Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
>>
>>43848760
If you like Marines, you should look up the adventures of Smedley Butler. The man was like a walking Marine Corps posterboy in every way.

>"Sign here, please."

Phrase Butler uttered to the President of Nicaragua after climbing 20 feet up and breaking into a bathroom from outside the building, when the President camped out in a bathroom for 6 hours to avoid signing a bill that allowed US financial institutions to prop up the Nicaraguan government and grant Marines authority to put down rebellion in the nation. The President was so shocked at a 6'4" Marine bursting through a 2nd story window that he pick up a pen and signed it immediately without even looking at what he was signing.
>>
File: This is my face.jpg (189 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
This is my face.jpg
189 KB, 1920x1080
>>43847277
>>43850152

"War is a racket. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives...
Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."
>>
>>43850278

It is worth pointing out that the wars Butler fought in were actually not very financially motivated. In fact, it was not US policy to intervene in another nation based on economics alone - the most important nations to the US economically before WWI in Latin America were rarely if ever occupied, and US involvement in China was about keeping Chinas doors open (They only accounted for 2% of our foreign trade at the times of the Boxer Rebellion and their Revolution). US intervention was instead about keeping ports open and cockblocking Europe from getting involved in Latin America/Asia outside of specifically conceded areas in the Caribbean for GB and France. Instability in Haiti, Nicaragua, Honduras, Colombia, and Panama were all plausible excuses to allow Europeans to swoop in and "fix things" by making it a new colony, and, as all nations in the Western Hemisphere got fucked over by European colonialism, the US wasn't gonna have it.

This isn't to say that he's entirely wrong, but he's not right either, at least with regards to the wars he fought in and the time he lived.
>>
>>43850407
Honestly, I have no idea, but I don't doubt what you're saying. I just think it's the kind of grim cynicism that typifies that sort of grizzled veteran. It also seems to pair with Big Boss pretty well.
>>
'When the battle is over, your work is not done. Your duty is not a destination. It is a journey. Victory is merely a landmark on that road, you will never reach a point where your work is done and you can leave the fighting to others. You will die with the road still to be walked.'
>>
Thread bump, this are fantastic, though I have none to contribute.

What about things in similar vein, paladin who used to have a black and white worldview but recently has grown a bit wiser?
>>
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
>>
>>43855950
anon what are you doing?
>>43850045
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.