[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, why do so many people get butt-blasted at the mere mention
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: gurpslogo.jpg (20 KB, 530x165) Image search: [Google]
gurpslogo.jpg
20 KB, 530x165
Alright, why do so many people get butt-blasted at the mere mention of GURPS? I sincerely do not understand how a game can induce such blind rage.
>>
meme
>>
>>43840672
Even as someone who's main system is GURPS I get it. It's how that no matter what- people suggest GURPS. It's all people use to answer. That pretty annoying, especially if you dont like GURPS all too much. It's like that 4 year old who keeps repeating a phrase til you want to comming a murder suicide.
>>
>>43840705
Commit* damn you ishit.
>>
>>43840705
But does that warrant the kind of response I have seen here? GURPS is a legitimate choice for games of most settings, which shouldn't come as a surprise for an RPG with the goal if being generic and universal. I mean, if people ONLY recommended GURPS it would be annoying, but I am under the impression that this is not the case.
>>
>>43840672

We've had this thread three times this week. I contributed significantly to the other two already.

Enough is enough. Go ask on gurps general. It's a great system, widely misunderstood by non-players, and not for everyone. Go try Sorcery. There. Done.
>>
The same reason people get assmad about Fate and the same reason people got assmad about Mutants and Masterminds back when it was popular: obnoxiously vociferous fans that would push it at every turn and then argue with you over any reason you didn't think their system was the perfect pick for every game ever.
>>
GURPS
>>
File: Toxic memes.png (1 MB, 861x1169) Image search: [Google]
Toxic memes.png
1 MB, 861x1169
>>43841398

No, this is nice. We can have this as a containment thread where people can bitch and argue about it while we're having actual productive discussions in the general.
>>
>>43841464
>we're having actual productive discussions in the general.

You mean getting butthurt about this thread and the fact people don't like your pet system?
>>
>>43840804
>But why are people buttblasted on the internet? Come on guys, why? I mean, it doesn't seem reasonable!

Did you just go on the world wide web unsupervised for the first time in your life? Of course the super-angry responses to Gurps are unreasonable, so are most things around here.
>>
>>43841406
But Gurps isn't popular, anon.
>>
>>43841477
Sure. Whatever makes you sleep at night, anon.
>>
>>43841492
It has a dedicated enough fanbase that they'll push it whenever they can and argue about any reason offered that someone doesn't like it, because they seem to think it's a perfect system that can do no wrong.
>>
>>43841509
Caveat: they will offer downsides, but only ones that reinforce their "GURPS master race" image. Things like "it's a lot of prep to run GURPS" or "character creation is difficult."
>>
>>43841537
But those are legitimate criticisms of GURPS.
>>
>>43841571
Ah, but you see they're the only ones offered because they reinforce that whole "this is a sophisticated game for dedicated gamers" image. They wont actually offer any failings of the mechanics in practice, or any other questionable design points.
>>
>>43841398
I already frequent GURPS general, I'm mostly asking this in response to the other recent threads. I do not understand why people got so irrationally angry about GURPS. I am a legitimate autists though, so that's probably why.
>>
>>43840672
It's really easy to bring up. The name is stupid. It's easy to troll post GURPS as being the solution to any "I want a system to run this type of game" because it is, even if it's not the best solution in other people's eyes.

This has also been going on forever, which means people have been getting more and more annoyed about this over time.
>>
>>43841584
What do you consider to be mechanical flaws or questionable design points in GURPS?
>>
>obnoxiously vociferous fans
When someone replies to thread or spams replies with only the word "GURPS," they're trolls capitalizing on GURPS's meme status. Now, when it's a long-ass post that covers what books and rules would work and goes into way too much detail, that's an actual GURPSfag trying to help for better or worse.
>>
File: 1430289258608.jpg (85 KB, 580x563) Image search: [Google]
1430289258608.jpg
85 KB, 580x563
I wish there were more Savage Worlds generals. GURPS has a good following here.
>>
>>43840672
Here is your reply
>meme
>>
"GURPS is a meme" is a meme
>>
File: ToxicMemes.jpg (200 KB, 861x1169) Image search: [Google]
ToxicMemes.jpg
200 KB, 861x1169
>>43840672
>>
>>43841584

How many people criticising it actually offer real mechanical failures?

Because the single one I've seen was someone saying that the skill mechanic was functionally identical to a d20 plus modifiers system - and then they never explained their reasoning.

Lets face it, it's very rare for any argument about a system to actually talk mechanics except in a shallow way that focuses on "feel".
>>
cause fallout new vegas does it way better man
>>
File: 1431508463413.png (309 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1431508463413.png
309 KB, 680x680
>>43840672
>>
>>43850517
It's a legitimate question.
>>
Me: "Hey I want to rpg what should I use?"

Everyone: " GURPS you can do anything that's pretty sweet"

Me: " that sounds swell"

Cue slowly crumbling under the immense amount of information and pressure that comes with attempting to learn a system of pretty much everything while totally inexperienced.

It's just so very much information it becomes intensely tedious. That being said I'm still trying...
>>
>>43840672
People get upset when confronted with their own stupidity and ineptness so they focus on the cause of realization for their anger.
>>
>>43845870
>>43841464
>>
>>43842176
Savage Worlds isn't crunchy enough for the grognards of /tg/. It just doesn't scratch that autistic itch.
>>
>>43851170
Start with GURPS Lite and only GURPS Lite. Once you're comfortable with that, then slowly add what you need from the basic set, as you need it. Try to add only one thing at a time and getting comfortable with that before adding more.
>>
>>43851170
Just use lite for the first 4 games. Go from there. That is how I converted my groups to gurps.
>>
>>43840804

You literally can't mention any of the popular systems without people going batshit venomous insane about it

It's not at all specific to GURPS
>>
>>43852307
I have to admit I go into a red rage when someone praises Burning Wheel.
>>
>>43851170
GURPS is not complex at all. The only thing i don't like is how easy it is for your characters to die in it.
>>
Mainly because
-Meme
-Constantly being pushed
-"THE NUMBERS MASON, WHAT DO THEY MEAN!?"
-It's da best for everything

Seriously, we get it, it's fucking flexible but a lot of people want games built for what they wanna do. Wild West game? Use GURPS. Modern Heist'em Up? GURPS. Cyberpunk Adventure? GURPS.

GURPS, GURPS, GURPS, GURPS.

Check any thread that asks for a recommended system to run X, Y or Z and GURPS will be there even if systems designed for that thing exist and do it better. The worst bit is though, they will never give an answer beyond "GURPS". No book listings, no recommended materials, no advice. Nothing. Just fucking GURPS.
>>
>>43853361

This. Can we now end this thread? It comes up every day, and nothing productive ever comes out of it.
>>
>>43853361
>>43842145
>>
>>43840672
gurps is the bernie sanders of tg
>>
>>43851652
I wish the grogs would fuck off and let non-spergs get more time.
I admit I'm almost as bad of a faggot for Savage Worlds as GURPSfags are for their 'tism simulator, but I could teach the basics of SW to anyone while even GURPS Lite is too spergy for me.
>>
>>43851872
>>43851874

This, and I do this still despite being a very experienced GM. Most of the complexity of GURPS is in campaign options that you don't need to use unless you have a specific purpose.

Or mechanics that a GM can precalculate. If a player says, "I want my eyes to be flamethrowers unless I wear sunglasses" then that's easily done. But as GM I'd be sure that *I* and not my player am the one to calculate it and write it up.
>>
>>43840705
>retard 1: Can you guys recommend a game system for this game type?
>retard 2: How about GURPS? It is a universal game system designed for multiple game types and it has good support.
>retard 1: FUCK YOU! *goes into autistic rage mode
>retard 3: Yeah, fuck GURPS! *insert various copypasta and trolling

There's essentially a vocal minority of pnp gamers who will freak out when someone even mentions GURPS in a positive light. Then there's the trolls.
>>
>>43840672
Bad DMs.

GURPS is amazing if you have a DM that sets hard expectations instead of throwing a pile of GURPS rulebooks at the players and saying he doesn't give a fuck.

All the people that had bad experiences with GURPS that I've met was directly the result of the DM shrugging off a lot of his mechanical responsibility on the players.

Players should be able to say "I do this" and role dice. They shouldn't be consulting charts and thumbing through the book to figure out how to do something or if it's possible.

The DM, on the other hand, should be consistent with his rulings and explanations and already know how mechanical interactions take place in GURPS so the game doesn't grind to a screeching halt the second numbers get involved.

tl;dr people try to DM GURPS without knowing what the fuck they're doing
>>
>>43840672
There are a lot of "D&Dfinder ONLY!" fags on /tg/ and gurps gets mentions offten enough for their hate of everything not D&Dfinder to focus.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.