[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any games that have 'legacy systems' where
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 447x329) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 447x329
Are there any games that have 'legacy systems' where a character dies there is rules in the game for having the next his character come along and pick up the sword?

Legend of the five rings I know that you inherit your previous characters glory for from the same family. Something like that i'm thinking.
>>
I think you play your children in Pendragon and inherit everything possible.
>>
File: KappaHD_400x400.png (275 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
KappaHD_400x400.png
275 KB, 400x400
>>43813378
Paranoia
>>
>>43813378

I would like to do something like this. I have this grand idea for a game that takes place over several generations so each generation the PCs are probably decendants of the previous age characters kind of like a Dark Souls set up.
>>
>>43813378
King arthur: pendragon
>>
>>43813928
>>43814008
yeah that's an idea that i've had a while myself

>>43813971
I didn't even think of that. But yeah it does. Heh.
>>
>>43813378
ACKS has it. A main mechanic is having your current character "invest" in making his replacement higher level. A PC's retainers often serve the role of replacement.
>>
>>43813378
Riddle of Steel had a system where your spent xp would give bonus xp for your next character.

It was pretty easy to die in that game, so it was kind of necessary.
>>
>>43813378
The entire design principals of Torchbearer revolve around this concept. It's kind of the whole point of the game.
>>
Bumping out of curiosity
>>
>>43815179
what about adventuring and stuff?
>>
Fate of the Norns revolves around the coming of ragnorock and so characters dying is a process of progression. To unlock the better parts of the classes a PC must have a couple of their characters chosen by the valkyries. To be chosen the character must have lived and died gloriously and had his/her companions recount their notable deeds.

The rules are not out yet but the schlock mercenary rpg has a sort of legacy system where the PC can choose to have a grunt NPC jump in frount of the attack; when this happens you must select an existing grunt or name a new one, they then have a 50% chance of survival, if they die their named slip of paper is ripped up; if they survive they gain experience which, when your character dies, they get as they replace your character
>>
>>43816250
Not all games are about killing things you dont like and then robbing them
>>
>>43818878
No but that's the default.
>>
Deathwatch has something similar. Salvaging a dead player's geneseed gives their next character some bonus experience.
>>
File: Shark meets Dr Who fans.png (175 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
Shark meets Dr Who fans.png
175 KB, 500x301
>>43820558

>geneseed

Why is 40k so homogay? Are all Brits dongdabblers?
>>
>>43820558
> he doesn't know how geneseed works
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 485x303) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 485x303
>>43820587
Dark angels am I right?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.