[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You should be able to solve this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: top.png (10 KB, 383x388) Image search: [Google]
top.png
10 KB, 383x388
Mate in 2
>>
File: kek.png (9 KB, 378x386) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
9 KB, 378x386
1. e8=R! Kg2 2. O-O-O-O-O-O#
>>
Queen the pawn, then move the right rook?
>>
>>43803637

I think that would stalemate. Reverse the order.
>>
>>43803637
>>43803643
Answer is >>43803620 , from before FIDE tightened up their definition of what castling is

I'm building a chessbot, so I had to check whether castling with a promoted rook is legal
>>
>>43803605
by being Casperov https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgeYScYe8wI
>>
>>43803704
Hell of a joke solution.
>>
>>43803605
So the black king can't move?
>>
>>43803605
I thought it was queen pawn then move queen next to king but if black went after the rook they could last 3 turns.
>>
>>43803620
I can't read those chess magics, can someone explain ?
>>
>>43803860
White pawn moves 1 space north to get promoted
Instead of promoting to queen, which is 99.999% best move possible under all circumstances, white promotes to Rook.
Black moves their king out of check.
White Rook slides south to "castle" (bumpswap) the white King, putting the black King in check and winning the game.
>>
>>43804009
>Black moves their king out of check.
Black is not in check. The king does not necessarily need to move toward the rook. Black is free to move south a pawn. It is utterly impossible for white to move in 2 move.
>>
File: amidoing it rite.png (237 KB, 383x1522) Image search: [Google]
amidoing it rite.png
237 KB, 383x1522
Is this the answer?
>>
>>43804071
Ignore that guy.

First move is still pawn up to become a Rook.

Black could move the pawn down but then White will castle king side and checkmate the Black King. So rather than ... d4, Black plays Kg2.

White then decides to castle with the promoted Rook! Castling rules are the King moves towards the relevant Rook by two places then the Rook is placed on the other side of the King.

So the White King is now on e3 and the Rook from e8 is now on e2 resulting in Checkmate!
>>
>>43804090
Its not the correct answer, but its worth a good 72 virgins
>>
Rf1+, Kg2, Rf1+, Kg1, Ke2# also works right? (not mate in 2 I know)
>>
>>43804142
Hooray!
>>
>>43804138
We don't know whether the right rook has already moved and therefore we do not know if this maneuver is legal. Also that post is still wrong for saying the black king is in check.
>>
>>43804206
Yes that post was wrong but stop being such an autist, it's clearly a set up for a silly chess joke. C'mon.
>>
>>43803605
Queen the pawn, then move it down above the white king
>>
>>43804258
Doesn't work, the black king can go to g2 and take the rook on h1 if you check him with the queen. There's mate afterwards if you move the king to d2, but that's in 3 moves
>>
>>43804090
That's three moves.
Reveal
Move
Detonate
Otherwise, sound tactics.
>>
>>43803605
Whenever someone says, "You should be able to solve this," I automatically assume they've posted an impossible or "lateral-thinking" problem that's total bullshit for 95% of the population. Eat a dick, OP.
>>
>>43804275
Damn, I missed that.
Let's assume that Black's being played by a five year old.
It's good that way.
>>
>>43803620
can't be done
"Castling consists of moving the king two squares towards a rook on the player's first rank, then moving the rook to the square over which the king crossed. Castling may only be done if the king has never moved, the rook involved has never moved"
>>
>>43804300
Exactly. That rook hasn't moved, and the king moves two spaces.
>>
>>43804300
>on the player's first rank
>>
>>43804332
I mean, it technically doesn't specify which player...
>>
>>43804320
Only if you consider that the new rook is the exact equivalent of a rook placed at the start of the game. You and I both know that it's not a real rook. It's a trans rook. It is biologically a pawn at birth. The piece has moved as a pawn and therefore the trans-rook has moved.
>>
>>43804359
How dare you judge that poor rook for what they did before it's operation.
They're leading a new life now.
A fresh life.
>>
>tfw playing chess with friend
>play pretty casually, we know the core ideas like quick development, knights before bishops, playing the center etc. but aren't even intermediates by any measure
>position with center closed up and wide-open wings
>he has rook&queen on a single file waiting to checkmate my king
>i have a pawn nearing promotion
>look at board
>get an idea
>move pawn forward
>he immediately wants to mate with queen
>not so fast.jpg
>promote to knight instead, which is check
>series of checks follow
>checkmate

Sacrifices and underpromotions are the coolest thing in chess.
>>
>>43803605
FIDE already patched that loophole long ago m8
>>
File: TWO MOVES.png (236 KB, 387x763) Image search: [Google]
TWO MOVES.png
236 KB, 387x763
>>43804277
Redid it.
Two moves.
>>
>>43803605
KING ME
>>
The first move is to promote that pawn to a queen. From there, black's only option is to move their pawn to D4 or their king to G2. If they move the pawn, then queen to F2 mates. If they move the king, queen to F4 mates. GGWP
>>
>>43803605
I don't think it can be done. If pawn becomes a rook then black can move his pawn, if queen then black goes after east rook. If white castles east black king escapes west and can run for more than 2 turns. If white castles west black can still last 3 turns. If white king moves north west I still don't see a way to stop black lasting past move 2.
Did I miss any plays?
>>
>>43806068
>Queen to F4 mates
I think you mean E4. And that doesn't work, because the pawn on D5 can take the queen
>>
>>43806068
Isn't new queen in E not F? If black moves king black pawn would be able to take queen in E4 right?
>>
>>43803605
Right rook moves one left, then next turn the pawn becomes a queen?

Would that do it, assuming it's white's turn?
>>
>>43806168
No, wait, ignore that, king could just move one left after the rook moves, and then move back to the right again when pawn becomes queen.
>>
>>43805932
Pawns play a bigger role than some people realize. Sacrifice/Bait/Promotions in general are handy
>>
>>43805932
>he immediately wants to mate with queen
That's everybody's goal from the start, ain't it? Getting an heir?
>>
>>43803704
>before FIDE tightened their definition
This wouldn't happen to be the situation that caused it, would it?
>>
>>43804472
dam right that rook is a fucking hero.
>>
>>43804359

The force of my sides ripping free tore out most of my internal organs.
>>
>>43803605
Impossible without the other player throwing the game. Try harder next time.
>>
File: fug.jpg (5 KB, 139x184) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
5 KB, 139x184
>>43809934
Possibly.

http://www.futilitycloset.com/2009/12/11/outside-the-box/
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.