[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: MTG Modern General.jpg (1 MB, 3725x1040) Image search: [Google]
MTG Modern General.jpg
1 MB, 3725x1040
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(Competitive)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Favorite SB tech?
>Your best play/match?
>Thoughts on the GP Pittsburgh outcome?
>>
>>43785538
So is it ever alright to have only 1 of a card in your deck?
>>
>>43786476
Jund plays Tasigur and usually Maelstrom Pulse as one-ofs. It works.
>>
>>43786504
So it's aight?
>>
Did hatebears really make it to the top 4? It must been an unpowered meta.
>>
>>43785538
So I'm thinking about getting back into MtG for the first time since Innistrad block.

Is it worth it to get into Battle for Zendikar or will I just get my shit slapped by Khans of Tarkir decks? I'm a fan of white decks, but I'm not afraid to try something new, any deck suggestions for someone getting back into the game?
>>
>>43787147
Worst time to get into standard, as it's expensive as all hell because of fetches and other shit.

Modern prices aren't that better, it's going into legacy levels even on tier 2 "budget" lists. Actually, you can get tier 2 decks for legacy cheaper.

Drafting BfZ is nice tho....
>>
>>43787185
Jesus really?

I was debating between this and WH40k, knowing that they're both money pits, but has it really gotten that bad?
>>
File: 1382338765262.jpg (3 KB, 109x120) Image search: [Google]
1382338765262.jpg
3 KB, 109x120
>>43786525
it becomes viable with draw, filtering or tutors.

>Playing?
delver
>Brewing?
i want to play landfall in modern. i might just show up with my standard deck and shit on kids with become immense and temur battle-rage. play fucking 4-color-fuck-you landfall aggro with three out of five commands, standard creatures and slightly more powerful utility spells.

>Favorite SB tech?
shadow of doubt

>Your best play/match?
fuck, i don't know. a win is a win.

twin, affinity, etc in a top8? not at all surprised.
>>
>>43785538
>>Playing?
Rug delver
>>Brewing?
4color delver because I am a madman and abrupt decay seems really good right now.
>>Favorite SB tech?
Worship
>>Your best play/match?
Charge across the Araba when I played a bad tokens list.
>>Thoughts on the GP Pittsburgh outcome?
So many linear decks. 3 jund in the top 32, 2 grixis. We need some reprints/new cards, but we're likely to get an unban first, which won't be enough.
>>
>>43787212
Debate no more, since WH40k is just silly in the sense it's way harder to get rid off excess stuff you actually didn't need. But yes, this game has risen in monatery price of about 2-4x since the beginning of theros block. Modern card prices spike like crazy all the time. Just reprinted fetches stayed under 20$ for like a month.
>>
>>43786552
Hatebears could have easily taken the title if it wasn't for wescoe fucking up game 3.
>>
>>43786476
one-ofs are great if used correctly as they provide an element of suprise your opponent won't ever see coming. A person I watched played one magmatic insight in his deck just for the value as any land past land 7 in grixis is awful. One-ofs do have the drawback of sometimes never seeing play but I think if you're willing to take the risk one-ofs are great.
>>
>>43787720
The ally fetchlands were under-valued for six months and they're still technically undervalued as without the reprint all of them are easily $30+
>>
>>43787212
Magic is still cheaper than 40k currently, even if you're building a modern deck that isn't terrible.
>>
what were the results for the GP
>>
>>43787212
standard currently for a complete newcomer is pretty hard to get into. There's multiple $10+ cards and multiple must-includes that can end up costing you lots of money. The cheapest decks I can think of off the top of my head are versions of Aristocrats (eldrazi spawn creatures + nantuko husk for the win) or Warriors (b/w is very cheap, can get expensive beyond that) Green ramp is also pretty cheap to build but all of these are tier 1.5 at best.
>>
>>43787863
Can't spell Twin without win.
>>
>Playing?

evil twin and jeskai twin

>Brewing?

mardu midrange, uwr mentor

>Favorite SB tech?

teferi, p&k

>Your best play/match?

playing deceiver exarch end of turn with 4 mana on the board

wouldn't be surprised if some of the weaker banned cards (bbe, av, sword of the meek, seething song) come off

surprised jeskai twin went the distance. same with hatebears and the ub faeries decks that placed so high.
>>
>>43787987
>mardu midrange

T2 Young Pyromancer
T3 Lingering Souls, Stoke the Flames
>>
>>43787987
Bloodbraid Elf can't come off the ban list. Jund is already the best deck in the format if top 8 results are anything to go by, and being able to cascade into Kolaghan's Command is just ridiculous.
>>
>>43788003
>>43787987
I can see Sword and Ancestral Visions come off, but BBE and Seething Song I can't see happening.
BBE for the mentioned making jund still better and Seething Song I don't see coming off the banlist because they're pretty wary about fast mana these days. Too wary for something that, while powerful, probably isn't currently banworthy. I'd love if they did though, I've got like 3 pack fresh playsets and a couple playsets of foil.
>>
>>43788206
Seething Song isn't particularly fast as far as mana goes considering Rite of Flame exists. I honestly think it could safely come off, especially considering how weak Storm is.
>>
File: modern 2015.jpg (379 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
modern 2015.jpg
379 KB, 750x1000
>Playing?
Mostly Affinity and Twin. Last FNM I threw together UWR Kiki-Twin.

>Brewing?
Going to put that RG Scapeshift together. Need to get Cinder Glades and Commune with Lava (I don't play Standard).

>Favorite SB tech?
Not particularly tech, but I have a lot of Spellskites, since I have them in over half my boards.

>Your best play/match?
Depends on what I'm playing. Infect rapes Tron, Tron rapes Junk, etc.

Kinda sucks that my favorites did well. Hopefully that doesn't result in much more hate.
>>
>>43786476
Of course it's alright, as long as there's a point to it.
>>
>>43788268
I wouldn't be surprised to see Splinter Twin get the axe. How many times does someone have to bullshit a win on camera with that card before Wizards does something about it?
>>
File: 51WcNvJ-QGL._SY355_[1].jpg (29 KB, 254x355) Image search: [Google]
51WcNvJ-QGL._SY355_[1].jpg
29 KB, 254x355
Whats the best defense for a burn player to use against Feed the Clan?

Is it this?
>>
>>43788402
Atarkas command and skullcrack can both nullify the life gain, I think thats their best bet
>>
>Playing?
Mono Red (kinda) Budget Burn, finally complete in one or two days.

>Brewing?
Bloom. Speaking of which, im kinda on a budget. I realize I probably have to play all the titans, summer bloom and the amulett and at least some of the pacts. Any suggestions on what to cut down? Manabase is already as budget as it gets and I switched all the land stuff like Azusa for cheaper alternatives.
>>
>>43788402
>>43788437
Sorry, that was supposed to be Leyline of Punishment.

Either way, FtC is instant, so they'll just respond to your Atarka's command/Skullcrack.
>>
>>43788402
Atarka's Command/Skullcrack in the mainboard as they should be anyway?
>>
>>43788446
Thats why you dont just throw your command/skullcrack out but wait for their activation.
>>
>>43788459
>They play lifegain
>Respond with AC/Skullcrack
>Respond with FtC
>>
>>43788466
>They play lifegain
>You do nothing
>They play FtC
>Respond with AC/Skullcrack
>>
>>43788446
>Either way, FtC is instant, so they'll just respond to your Atarka's command/Skullcrack

They're the one being forced to cast their spell to try and gain life. All you have to do is hold up 2 mana forever and they can't ever cast Feed the Clan.
>>
>>43788490
>>43788485
I guess that I'll try to hold it up then if i expect FtC.

The particular circumstance was actually getting IoK cast on me, when I responded with my Skullcrack and then they used Feed the Clan.
>>
>>43788500
Sounds like you made the right play anyway, its a great card against burn for good reason, theres only so much playing around any 1 person can manage.
>>
What sideboard options does URg have against Burn? Do I just stick to Dragon's Claw or try something bigger like Obstinate Baloth? I've also considered Huntmaster (seems too slow for 4 mana), and Courser of Kruphix (too hard to hit 1GG on turn 3 and dies to Destructive Revelry).
>>
>>43788582
URg Twin?

Well FtC was mentioned already so theres that.

Your other options are counters (Dispel, Mana Leak, Spell Snare, Spell Pierce).

Consider Blood Moon if its a Naya deck, it cuts us off from white for Boros Charm and Green for Atarka's Command.
>>
>>43788582
4x nourishing shoal 4x autocthon wurm. No way burn can win off that
>>
>>43788635
I hate to say it, but I'm playing RUG Loam, so having zero potential to get the ferocious part of Feed the Clan feels bad. Is it worth running even without it? I have the usual things you'd expect in a sideboard like Spell Pierce and Dispel that deal with burn spells nicely already. Blood Moon is a complete no because my green is all nonbasic. I think 4 Dragon's Claw is probably enough with my counterspells. I also have a spicy copy of Redirect in my board for Abrupt Decay that can always send a Bolt back at their Guide for delicious 2 for 1 value.
>>
Took GR tron yo the shop this weekend. Went 2-2. Got blown out 0-2 the first match by ad nauseam. GG no re. Second match was against melira combo. After mulling to five I managed to get karn online but not before he assembled the combo with finks. Staring down karn, he decides to gain exactly two million life and scrys through his deck to put a chord on top in preperation for the impending -3. Double Karn fixed that. A co I please of wurmcoils joined the party to help keep karn around while I frantically tried to mop up his board which didn't seem to be shrinking. Ulting Karn didn't seem to be an option before he could reassemble the combo with redcap and I certainly couldn't race him. That's where newlamog came in. Two bites and his deck was gone. One game and he hands me the rest of the match. Apparently he's been newlamoged a few too many times in standard and this just put a bad taste in his mouth. Match 3 was against what I think was American midrange. Had flip jace, Geist, restos. I don't remember much but I do remember game 2 he drops a stoney silence and I spend a million turns drawing eggs while he spends the time drawing threats only to have the pyroclasmed or rending volleyed. Eventually I started hard casting things and I think I eventually managed to assemble tron but memory is a bit fuzzy. 2-0 I think. Game four was grixis delver. I have a poor track record against delver. I don't regret running a cavern of souls. He drops a delver game one and rides it to victory. I think I squeezed out the second game but I know I ultimately lost when I chose to play an o-stone instead of a karn. Karn would have taken out gangler which would have prevented him form bashing me for 8 then burning me out with triple bolt and a kcommand. That's what I get for trying to play around remand.

It was a good night all around.
>>
>>43788696
Hmm, not too familiar with Loam decks.

Feed the Clan is probably good enough to run as a 2-of, if you cast it at the right time it can net you an extra turn or 2.

Don't know how many other artifacts/enchantments your deck runs but if you run enough of them Burn will side in Destructive Revelrys, which may make your Dragon's Claw useless.

Obstinate Baloth and/or Kitchen Finks will also be useful in the matchup then. In which case you may want to go for Baloths/Feed the Clan as your Sideboard option.

Also consider and playtest with Thragtusk if your deck can handle it.
>>
>>43787800
For fucks sake they are not undervalued. THEY ARE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE REPRINTED FREQUENTLY to keep them in pricepoint that people can or are willing to buy. So on that note, around 10$ was a pricepoint where people actually went for them and bought them, but supply ran out. It's not like they "should be around 30$ because that's what is their worth" you dipshit. 30$ is a pricepoint where people don't give a shit anymore because they are again so high in the value that it's stupid to buy so expensive car board.

Before you go on about that's what undervalued means, fuck you. I want to be as pissed of on prices of MtG as I want to be.

Anyway, mostly everyone knows how good and valued fetches are and WotC is being jew on not giving people what they want, because they are idiots. Before anyone goes around saying "they know logic and they keep money cards reserved to sell sets and protect collectors" fuck you. Who knows how many players modern were to get in, if special sets sold stuff that would make tier 1 decks affordable for bigger audience. I'm not even sure how big of a success modern masters 2 actually was in the end. As it was shit drafting set on overexpensive price?
>>
>>43788746
I did take a look at the Swagmaster himself, but 5 mana against Burn? That's brutal when they can just T1 Guide and start vomiting damage down my throat. Finks isn't something I'd thought of, but again it's the Courser problem of needing 1GG by turn 3 when my deck isn't that heavy on green.

And my deck is a brew. It's an attempt at UR control splashing green for Loam, with Molten Vortex functioning as a win condition. Honestly you'd be surprised at how well it does. Getting Vortex down T1 compared to Seismic Assault on T3 is a huge deal when it comes to stabilizing. It eats slow creature based decks like Merfolk and Jund alive because I'm drawing 3 Shocks per turn, every turn once it gets down to it.
>>
>>43788762
Modern Masters 2 was a flop. Sure Wizards will have made money off it, but damn son if they'd put good cards in it and printed 3x the number of boxes they could've made even more. That set had no right to not contain Serum Visions. Bump it up to uncommon to balance out limited if you want, but holy shit man.
>>
>FTV: Modern
>All 5 Zendikar fetches
>Snapcaster Mage
>Tarmogoyf
>Liliana of the Veil
>Cryptic Command
>Vendilion Clique
>Mox Opal
>Good foiling on the cards
>$200

This is literally free money that Wizards just doesn't want at this point.
>>
>>43788779
Well t1 Guide can at least net you the mana you need I guess, although keep in mind that most of the damage is off the battlefield. And if you're using Vortex as creature removal then creatures shouldn't be an issue at all.

Your best bet is probably going with a Counter route then. Maybe use a spellskite or two as well to save points of damage from burn spells.

Just keep in mind though that all of the lifegain is in green.
>>
>>43788820
You are ideas are shit. Just don't buy what you don't want to pay for. You don't NEED to own everything.
>>
>>43788820

Talk about killing value.
>>
>>43788779
Can you explain to me why you are rolling rug instead of jund colors?
>>
>>43788696
Have you considered Monastery Siege? It does spectacular work against Burn - I've run it in my UR Twin, mono-U Tron and RUG Delver sideboards, and burn just folds to it, especially since early game their creatures are their main source of damage and you sound like you can deal with creatures pretty well. Combine that with the fact that most burn players never want to see more than 3 lands and you'll just stonewall them all day.
>>
>>43788994
What did he mean by this
>>
>>43789428
Anon proposed a FTV set with at least $600 of the most common Modern cards in value.

for 1/3rd of the price.
>>
>>43789446
You realize it costs pennies for wizards to print these out right?

Wizards can print these at $15 a pack and you nerds will eat it up, win win for everyone.

And don't give me any shit about 'muh investments' you're a dip for investing in cardboard
>>
>>43789494
If Wizards didn't give a shit about "muh investments" then Goyf would have been a rare in MM2, along with a ton of other reprints that we didn't get.
>>
>>43789508
He's saying you are dip investing into carboard, not saying WotC didn't care aboout investors. Rather big difference there. And yes, buying a 100$ goyf is stupid as shit.
>>
>>43787267
>shadow of a doubt
MTG noob here, how does that work in response to someone cracking a fetchland?
>>
>>43789839
They don't fetch, part of the cost is sacrificing the fetchland. But since Shadow of doubt prevents them from searching they get nothing.
>>
>>43789718
>>43789494
You seem salty. Did babby never crack a goyf? Just open more mordern masters packs
>>
>>43789997
Im not him, but he doesnt sound salty at all.
Hes right. It would make modern A LOT more affordable for everyone. And now don't cry because your cards would be worth less, I have cards that would sink too and I still would prefer it a lot.
>>
Since everyone's just arguing I'll ask a question.

Why is it that people use Gurmag Angler in modern decks? I just don't see the upside compared to Tasigur. I mean I guess if you already ran Tasi and didn't want to have to worry about the legend rule? That seems like kind of a long shot though.
>>
File: GP Pittsburgh Champ.jpg (200 KB, 722x856) Image search: [Google]
GP Pittsburgh Champ.jpg
200 KB, 722x856
>>
File: 20151102_232543_LLS.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151102_232543_LLS.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Bitching about it is for gays and women. Your making this thread suck. You don't see the dudes in the legacy thread whining about the price of Abu lands.

Post deck pics now. #goyfuckyourself
>>
>>43790318
The 5th power really helps vs opposing tasi and also goyfs, the 1 extra mana is painful though, and with the grixis style decks you really dont want to draw more than 2 tasi because of the legend rule.

I've cut 2 anglers in favour of pia in the more classic version of grixis control
>>
>>43790318
A 5/5 for 1 or 2 is pretty good. Not being legendary is also a decent upside. I don't know about anyone else but tasigur ability is negligible for me. I usually play him as a vanilla 4/5.
>>
Should I buy snaps now?

Im looking to build UWr midrange as an alternative to naya burn, and I really don't want to see snaps spike back to 90
>>
>>43790334
Junk master race
>>
>>43790334
This. If your parents won't buy you $90 snaps, get out of you'd basement and get a job.
>>
>>43790442
If you're going to play them, the only better day is yesterday.
>>
>>43790442
It's a good idea before modern season arrives. They're at the lowest they've been in a while.
>>
>>43787185

Affinity is like $800, and it's Tier 1.
>>
>>43787185
The only decks in Modern that reach Legacy levels run Tarmogoyf.

Just avoid Tarmogoyf and you'll be fine.
>>
>>43790705
Affinity can be really shitty to play though.
It doesn't really lose to decks, it loses to specific hate cards. It's frustrating when the opponent slaps down some hate and you effectively can't do fuck all.

Stony silence turns affinity into the worst deck by a mile. 0/2's and 1/1's is all it gets after that.
>>
>>43790814

True. I'd love to see the equivalent card for other decks, like 2U Enchantment, creature cards lose all abilities. The salt would flow.
>>
File: Linvala, Keeper of Silence.jpg (137 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
Linvala, Keeper of Silence.jpg
137 KB, 480x680
>>43791591
More of a white effect don't you think?
>>
>>43790814
A few thopters and a signal pest can still put up a real clock if all they have is stony.
>>
>>43790324
>kiki
finally people will stop questioning me running kiki in twin.
>why are you running kiki in twin dude its 5 mana and dies to bolt
because you can't steal his ability with spellskite and all you fags are maindecking at least one right now.
>>
File: humility.png (127 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
humility.png
127 KB, 223x311
>>43791655
its literally a white effect
>>
>>43791966
Let me tell them the story of how I surgically extracted twin only to get blown out by kiki. It's good to have options.
>>
>>43786552
I like Abzan liege: when hatebears meet hand disruption
>>
>>43792004
Ngl that's pretty hilarious.
>>
>>43789997
That's the good side of buying fake tarmos for 2,79$
>>
>>43790657
Unless reprint on Shadows over innistrad
>>
>>43792233
Lol, just lol. Are you the same kind of retard that thought that they were going to have 10 fetches in standard and was surpised when they didn't?
>>
>>43792233
>>43792272
this. its so unlikely. not even because it would probably warp standard but also because snappy isn't related to innistrad at all. he could literally be from any other plane.
>>
>>43792297
Well at least i will hope for Lili's reprint
>>
File: 1412060450353.jpg (24 KB, 330x451) Image search: [Google]
1412060450353.jpg
24 KB, 330x451
>>43792004
>>
File: mycosynth.jpg (17 KB, 200x287) Image search: [Google]
mycosynth.jpg
17 KB, 200x287
Can mycosynth work in affinity? I'm trying to put the "affinity" back into affinity, and arcbound ravagers are so fucking expensive.
>>
>>43791655
Nah, blue needs more hate in modern. its the worst color atm
>>
>>43792692
If you want a beater with affinity it use my enforcer
>>
>>43792692
Mycosynth just doesn't do enough.

It will be turn 3 or maybe four until it comes out itself and all the other creatures you have only cost 1 or two mana anyway, with etched champ at 3, just doesn't seem worth it, especially if you are replacing arcbounds with it.
>>
File: Grixis.png (2 MB, 1117x972) Image search: [Google]
Grixis.png
2 MB, 1117x972
>playing?
this
>>
>>43793620
Nice ego
>>
>>43793855
??
>>
>>43793888
I think he's stating you only posted this generic grixis list for the (You)
>>
>>43793985
thats quite the assumtion to make
>>
>>43794106
No it isn't. It's what you did. Why else did you post it and nothing else?
>>
>>43786476
for legacy some decks will run a lot of one ofs because they can search for them. Krenko is a one of in goblins but because of goblin matron they can get it whenever
>>
>>43794440
it seems like youre projecting abit
plenty of people here only anserd one of the questions, so i did too
go have a nice warm shower or somthing
>>
>>43790476

good goy, and remember to give all your shekels to your local game store!
>>
>>43792810

that's weird, /tg/ always tells me that white is the worst color because "lol no card draw!!"
>>
>>43790334
What the hell is an Abu land?
>>
>>43792297
I don't get it, Snap was printed Innistrad. Am I missing something?
>>
>>43795715
Yeah, but if you look at Snappy, would you think hes from Innistrad? Neither his art, flavor or lore (if he has any) is related to Innistrad, he could be literally from any other set.
>>
>>43795746
Actually I do, he looks like a chip off Van Helsing which is sort of the archetype I associate Innistrad with. He's got new-world tech in an old world setting similar to for lack of a better villian a Moriarty even.

>inb4 he's a chink
>>
>>43795485
>doesn't know which sets duals are from

gtfo
>>
>>43795925
He said Abu. I assumed they were original duals but I've never once heard someone call them that.
>gtfo
A true neckbeard
>>
>>43796005
They've been called ABU lands for fucking ages duder. You can get mad at him for being a smug shit but this is common knowledge here.
>>
Any Bloom players here? How diverse is the deck? Im kinda new (only re-discovered magic 1 year ago) and currently playing burn, but im getting kinda sick of it. I mean yeah you have to make decisions etc etc but there almost no actual choices.
I played with a zoo deck of a friend and there was just sooo many things you could do at any time.
My question is, is bloom diverse or like burn where almost every match will play out the same based on a few small decisions? I played the deck on xmage and liked it so far, but im still not sure.
>>
>>43796480
Bloom gives you different gameplans based on the sideboard but it still plays a lot like burn where you're trying to do the same thing each game. If you want a more engaging deck try Jund, Junk, or something like Scapeshift or Twin.
>>
>>43796115
I thought ABUR was the norm. I've never seen anyone call them Abu instead of ABUR or even ABU.
>>
>>43787212
>I was debating between this and WH40k, knowing that they're both money pits, but has it really gotten that bad?

40k list is all about points, but you'd be going low models with high points to get the lowest price point.

Retail 1000 Points you could do Spess Murines or similar expensive army and load them up as much as possible for around $250. Other armies you could build for that too.
>>
File: IMG_2716.jpg (607 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2716.jpg
607 KB, 1000x750
>>43788941
>You don't NEED to own everything.
I beg to differ.
>>
Alright guys, here's a lethal puzzle.

Your opponent has two Temple Gardens, a Treetop Village, a Forest, a Sigarda, and a Worship. He is at 1 life, has zero cards in hand, has an empty graveyard thanks to a Relic of Progenitus, and nothing in his exile could impact the game. He has 39 cards left in his deck, one of which you know to be Progenitus.

You have two Steam Vents, an Island, a Sulfur Falls, a Pestermite, a Splinter Twin enchanting that Pestermite, an Altar of the Brood, and a Dictate of Kruphix. You have an Anger of the Gods, a Pyroclasm, a Mountain, and a Lightning Bolt in hand. You are at 1 life. You have nothing relevant in your graveyard. It's your precombat main phase.

You have lethal this turn.
>>
>>43790814
thats why you side in thoughtseize and blood moon
>>
>>43797355
How do you shuffle that shit?
>>
>>43797355
>moxes
>not alpha

what a peasant
>>
>>43788249

Was it even that strong of a deck when Seething Song wasn't banned? They banned it under the guise of "Turn 3 kills" but Lantern, Burn, Grishoalbrand, Infect, and Amulet Bloom can kill turn 2-3 IIRC (depending on the deck of course) so singling out Storm in particular doesn't feel very fair here.
>>
>>43797355

>chinaman intensifies
>>
File: consuming-aberration.jpg (66 KB, 210x297) Image search: [Google]
consuming-aberration.jpg
66 KB, 210x297
>>43785538
I'm building a Black/Blue mill deck that uses Consuming Aberration, and I'm wondering if Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver is a good Planeswalker for the deck.

Ashiok exiles cards from the graveyard, but Consuming Aberration needs cards in the graveyard to get powerful, but having Ashiok makes winning by mill a more viable option if all else fails.

Basically does Ashiok work in a deck alongside Consuming Aberration?
>>
>>43797447
Use the twin combo to mill him out during his upkeep. During his draw step he palms Progentius amd then dies.
>>
>>43797447
This isn't a puzzle at all
>>
>>43798752
Wrong thread
>>
>>43795746
He has stored ectoplasmic ghosts in his arm attachment, a literal fucking ghostbuster.
If that isn't Innistrad I don't know what is.

Here's the art description that was given to Volkan Baga:

Color: Blue creature
Action: Start with the reference. Design a bad-ass human mage based on the reference. He is wearing a metal arm enhancement with glass tubing that contains ghost energy. We can see the ghosts swirling around inside the glass. The mage should look smart and powerful.
Focus: The mage
Mood: Powerful, smart, dangerous
>>
>>43798941
Opponent may have more than one Progenitus in the deck.
>>
>>43798952
How is it the wrong thread? It's all in modern.
>>
>>43798941
>Use the twin combo to mill him out during his upkeep. During his draw step he palms Progentius amd then dies.

the post clearly states 'you have lethal this turn'. what you're suggesting is outside the boundaries of possible solutions to the thought exercise as stated.
>>
>>43799836
To be fair, the opponent has strictly no answer to the above answer as long as there is only one Progenitus in the deck.
>>
>>43797447
>play mountain
>float 5 mana
>activate twin, untap mountain, float R
>anger
>pyro
>bolt opponent
>>
>>43800636
>animate Treetop in response to Bolt

Nope.
>>
My budget is ~$600, what should I play if I want to have fun?
>>
File: visual.png (168 KB, 1052x636) Image search: [Google]
visual.png
168 KB, 1052x636
>>43797447
Cockatrice version
>>
>>43790705
Man, why is it 800 bucks. I have like half the deck did the other half skyrocket. By half I mean if the deck is what it used to be a while ago, I just need blink moths ink moths and arcbound ravagers.

I've been trying to complete it for forever but I didn't have a job before. I'll have it done though in a few months.
>>
>>43799836
If that's so then why is there a Dictate of Kruphix in this puzzle?
>>
>>43800762
How do you plan to do that? Read Pestermite+Splinter Twin again.
>>
>>43800747
So what are the two cards I draw when the turn passes to me?
>>
>>43800900
You don't draw anything extra. What you have right now is lethal.
>>
>>43800938
But its not my turn in the pic. What do I draw when my opponent passes it?
>>
File: visual.png (133 KB, 1003x637) Image search: [Google]
visual.png
133 KB, 1003x637
>>43800953
I've learned something new today with cockatrice. Fixed.
>>
>>43800966
What is the point of the other two permanents if decking isn't the answer?
>>
>>43801019
Hey I'm just a faggot who made a visual version for you guys. I don't know the answer myself. I'm still stuck at the "multiple Progenitus" issue, which I seriously think the original poster didn't take into account.
>>
I've introduced 4 different people I know or work with to MTG and all 4 have basically quit after 2-3 months after they realized there was no future in the game unless they were willing to spend ~$1000+ to play at any sort of competitive level. now they just have their casual decks sitting on a shelf in their closet and we play every now and then when I ask

How can I tell people "it's not that bad" when the math stares us in the face?
>>
>>43801053
I think its bullshit. My solution is nullified by animating treetop village. If I am to kill my opponent now without passing the turn, I don't see it. That leaves decking.
>>
>>43801123
>That leaves decking.
Which still involves passing the turn.
>>
File: batwing brume.jpg (35 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
batwing brume.jpg
35 KB, 223x310
>>43785538
>Favorite SB tech?
Twin players never see it coming, and it also works well against aggro.
>>
>>43797355
fap fap fap
>>
>>43797703
I'm pretty sure Seething Song has been banned since the format was first created. You know, like Bitterblossom, Wild Nacatl, Grave Troll, and Valakut, those Modern warping cards that keep crushing tournaments.
>>
>>43801391
Is this a joke?
>>
>>43801391
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/232

m8
>>
>>43801431
Fair enough then, although I'm fairly sure that Storm wasn't even performing well around the time it was banned. Especially funny how they neutered Storm at the same time as they neutered the best deck in the format.
>>
File: No major loss.png (869 KB, 535x749) Image search: [Google]
No major loss.png
869 KB, 535x749
Hey, my friend insists that there is some sort of untapped interaction between these cards. I wanted to make an izzet deck, and I have some of these cards so it's no money missed if I do build it. What do you guys think?
>>
>>43801754
I think you shouldn't put Etched Monstrosity in it owing to how you can't.
>>
>>43801754
I think your friend is a looney. Save your money
>>
>>43801754
You fucking son of a bitch.
>>
>>43801754
>>
>>43788298
twin has been the DTB for years (on and off). It's not going anywhere.
>>
File: myr-retriever.jpg (106 KB, 300x432) Image search: [Google]
myr-retriever.jpg
106 KB, 300x432
>brewing
i'm working on a budget, mono black myr retriever combo deck. it's insanely consistent and usually combos off between turn 3 and 4.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/13-08-15-heartless-myr/#c2379989

any suggestions guys? the main problem i run into it with are graveyard locks
>>
May I ask what is the the best way to play MTG on my computer without having to resort to the wizards online version which has an awful UI or the two games which were made.

The games are fine apart from the fact that in one I cannot build my own decks and in the other I am limited by the card collection.
>>
>>43802810
cockatrice or xmage
cockatrice if you want all the cards but no rules enforcement
xmage has some holes in its card collection but the rules and phases are automatic
>>
Went 3-1 tonight at Monday Modern playing Boros Burn. Won 2-1 against elves. Lost 1-2 against Naya Burn. Won 2-1 against Grishoalbrand. And won 2-1 against Grixis Twin.
>>
>>43803247
list?
>>
>>43802736
have you considered buried ruin?
also, what about using some big mean demons as an alternate wincon? lord of the void is out of bolt range even with two heartless summoning and fits with the mill angle but can also kill with damage
>>
>>43797196
Do you have to upgrade your army or buy whole new armies up to four times per year? Seems way cheaper than magic if all you need is one $250 army. How long can you keep playing that army?
>>
>>43801118
Tell them to play commander
>>
>>43803355
Pretty much, when a new army comes out its far superior than every other army so if you are not playing it you cant win, then they release a new army book for your army and fuck everything so much that nothing you have is usable and you have to buy a new army... its like it was fucking planned from the start
>>
>>43803397
Yeah, fuck that. I'd rather spend my money on firearms or video games or kayaks and Olympic weights etc... I don't mind spending money on hobbies but it seems like warhammer and TCGs do everything they can to make your purchases completely worthless within six months.
>>
>>43803342
hey that's an interesting idea about the demons. do you feel like having an alternate win con like that would be worth slowing down consistency of the combo? i suppose i could just do a one and done. especially since i can get infinite draw a lot of the time

as for buried ruin what use did you have in mind for it? i've found that i don't need much artifact recursion in this deck. although when i do, the first retriever of the combo gives it to me.

anyways thanks for the feedback man
>>
File: 0004_MTGG14_Judge_EN_FF copy.png (175 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
0004_MTGG14_Judge_EN_FF copy.png
175 KB, 265x370
>>43803258
Here is the list

6 Mountains
2 Sacred Foundry
4 Arid mesa
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Wooded Foothills

4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
2 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Skullcrack
4 Searing Blaze
4 Boros Charm
2 Lightning Helix

Fairly standard list
>>
>>43803720
ok sweet, elves has become a problem in my meta so i want to push them out. Is that the mountain art you use because its pretty bad ass
>>
>>43803743
Yes the deck does good against elves. Just remember it's ok to waste some burn removing their mana accelerators.
You could splash green for atarkas command. I've thought of doing so. If you were to I would replace 2 of the searing blazes and 2 Lightning Helix.

And yes one of my mountains I'd the judge promo seen in the picture
>>
>>43803852
atarkas command lets you pick 2 right?
>>
>>43788994
Killing value is what needs to happen you faggot.
>>
Might be dumb question since you know, actually competetive thread, but is there a way to see what cards are actually legal for modern? I want to make a good old goblin deck for it but I have no if some goblins are now legal or reprinted to be legal or what.
>>
>>43801754
You fucking shitbag. I hate you.
>>
File: DSC00495.jpg (30 KB, 329x301) Image search: [Google]
DSC00495.jpg
30 KB, 329x301
General (hehe) MTG question here. I will probably sell my MTGO collection for about 1,5k dollars because I don't enjoy playing modern anymore and standard seems like too much of a moneysink.

Any tipps on what to do with the money?
>>
>>43804369
Magiccards.info and learn using seach engines.
>>
>>43801118
You really can't. But hey, there is pauper and those decks don't cost that much.... Until people start playing pauper that is.
>>
File: I CAN SEE FOREVER.jpg (79 KB, 620x250) Image search: [Google]
I CAN SEE FOREVER.jpg
79 KB, 620x250
Rolled 18 (1d100)

>>43785538
Went 3-1 with my Ad Nauseam deck yesterday. Felt good!
Going to another Modern event tonight, hope the cards are with me.
Diceroll for luck
>>
>>43804412
Buy a legacy deck that doesn't need too many of the pricey duals
>>
>>43804688
In real life or on mtgo? I heard the mtgo legacy support is shit and I don't have a big store where I live so I can't really play anything but standard at my local shop.
>>
>>43804412
Play pauper and use the money to have some fun.
>>
>>43804697
Online play is pretty good and prices are pretty reasonable as long as it doesn't come from Mercadians Block... a dual land is worth as much as a Daze, and you can build the whole Shardless BUG for the price of a Rishadan Port playset.

MTGO economy is pretty healthy otherwise. And you can find opponents at any hour.
>>
File: WP_20151124_001.jpg (924 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151124_001.jpg
924 KB, 2592x1944
r8 please, been wanting to know if there is anything i could do to help myself vs grixis control and elves. the cards above the mat are the sideboard
>>
>>43805482
>upsidedown.dec

Gimme a moment to read it.
>>
>>43805482
You can start by either cutting the meager black splash or committing to it.
>>
>>43805482
Infact, committing to a black splash seems like a good idea. It would give you a higher threat density which should allow you to better fight through removal. Not to mention the utility black adds. You might also try either upping the skite count and even main boarding one or two.
>>
>>43805666
what does skite do main board?
>>
>>43805796
Allow you to skirt removal more effectivly. It's just an option. It would sacrifice speed for resiliency. If that doesn't seem like a good idea, go with your gut.
>>
>>43805796
Additionally, it can attack. So you could conceivably win through conventional damage off a pumped skite if things go wierd. Unlikely but possible. Noble hierarch has been known to get there on occasion.
>>
>>43805796
Play 2 skite main. I beat burn with regular damage with a spellskite one time.
>>
>>43805482
>3 Nobles
>2 Become Immence
>3 Probes
>Meaningless black splash
>No skites in the main
>No skites in the main in a grixis heavy meta
>Crypt instead of Relic
>No Arbor
>3 fucking Spell Pierce in the main
>4 Might of old Krosa in this day and age
>No Nature's Claim in the side (depends on the meta tho)
No
>>
>>43805666
You can have a higher threat density without splashing. Play ichorclaw myr or necropede before you splash black. Doesn't give you enough.
>>
>>43806167
I think just 2 become immense is fine but the rest of your complaints are valid
>>
>>43806181
If you are gonna run 4 probes you might as well, plus 3 is the norm now. I don't think people understand what a boon this new card has been to infect, both modern and legacy. Remember when people used to have to run 4 Might and even Giant Growth/Phytoburst/Wild Defiance in the main?

From experience, the only time I hate the card is when I have 2 in my opening hand but with 3 copies that is rare occurrence.
>>
>>43789025
>Monastery Siege

Muh god that's something I hadn't even thought of but looks insane. Might try it as a one of. I guess I could bring it in for grindy matchups like Jund too because the first mode is kinda good for me. Incase you were wondering, my deck folds pretty hard to the kind of pressure Burn puts out game 1 since I'm playing a slow game.
>>
>>43806170
I still think a black splash is better. Plague stinger has far better evasion.
>>
>>43806167
probs is shit, you only really ant one noble, spending mana on relic slows you down, arbor only really helps against lilliana, spell pierce is better protection that is also flexible for stopping Coco and Cord. Grixis is not that heavy in the meta it only around 3% and going down. instead on natures claim i have abrupt decay and a black splash for another creature.
>>
>>43806317
>"if there is anything i could do to help myself vs grixis control"
>Grixis is not that heavy in the meta it only around 3% and going down
You have some sort of brain damage, don't you?
>>
>>43806337
i need help but its not heavy, small quick decks are heavy but i was wanting something else.
>>
File: 134234234529.jpg (29 KB, 290x324) Image search: [Google]
134234234529.jpg
29 KB, 290x324
>>43806317
>probs is shit
>you only really ant one noble
>arbor only really helps against lilliana
This is cringeworthy, please play another deck since you clearly have no clue how to play infect.
>>
>>43806393
or you dont, noble is just unnecessary ramp mid game and probs just hurt you after the first two turns. what else do you do with arbor besides try the horrid real damage plan. it is slow mana besides that.
>>
>>43802810
XMage hands down, cockatrice is a piece of shit.
>>
File: jqlrvs.gif (95 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
jqlrvs.gif
95 KB, 256x256
>>43801754
>>
File: 1441943206252.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
1441943206252.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
Someone brought Lantern Control to my LGS last night. I think they went either 0-4 or 1-3. Of course one of his games went to time.
>tfw he fell for the meme and actually spent money on a terrible deck
>>
>>43801754
I dont get it
>>
>>43807458
Good. Now leave before this place takes your soul forever.
>>
>>43801754
Bum Fuckley plays magic now?
>>
>>43801754
Is this another fucking vague reference to that miscarriage comic?
>>
>>43806243
The mana hurts though and is unstable. I played bug infect for a while then switched to ug and my win percentage went up right away.
>>
>>43806542
Clearly you forget that hierarch has exalted and is one of your best tools for grinding out longer games. Also, if you've never won a game with regular damage or consider it a valid option at any point I yhe game, then you don't know how to play infect. You're missing opportunities to win.
>>
>>43795885
He's a nigger now.
>>
File: Running Belcher.png (470 KB, 505x672) Image search: [Google]
Running Belcher.png
470 KB, 505x672
Currently I play Living End. However I have gotten into Belcher. It's fun to catch some people off guard at first and I don't care if I lose with the deck.
I'm thinking about building Amulet Bloom next. I only need to drop $200 to finish it.
>>
>>43802736
Just wanted to say I really like this deck - it seems really fun to pull off.
>>
>>43807225
I dont understand it either. It doesnt have a very good wincon and completly relies on hoping that you can always mess your opponent up.
>>
>>43810065
how reliable is Belcher? looks like a fun and not so extremly expensive deck.
>>
>>43808435
the deck rarely grinds and typically looses when it does that plus going of and on to regular and infect damage. the build is to use infect not regular damage. yes you can do it just like you can win turn two but doing either is very dangerous.
>>
>>43810298
It's just a deck designed to piss people off and drag games out as long as possible. It's just a worse eggs.
>>
>>43803585
for buried ruin, i wasn't really sure if it would be useful but couldn't think of much of a drawback either

i'm not experienced but i think demons would be best in sideboard, or at most 1 main if your meta has a lot of ways to shut down the combo. anyways heartless summoning opens up some cool options for guys that can wreak havoc, especially if your opponent has boarded out creature removal
>>
How does this Storm deck look?

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
3 Steam Vents
3 Sulfur Falls
4 Island
2 Mountain

4 Bogardan Hellkite
1 Karrthus Tyrant of Jund
3 Goblin Electromancer

4 Dragonstorm
4 Lotus Bloom
4 Manamorphose
4 Pyretic Ritual
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand
2 Peer through Depths
2 See Beyond(? Not sure if this is the card I'm actually putting in)
>>
Nobody was playing legacy, so I spent 20 eurodilloos and some old cards I wasn't using to remake my goblin deck into a modern one.

>Nobody fuckin knows how to react to it
>Blowing up goyfs with grenades
>Gotta go fast
>Blood moon, best SB card ever, sorry meme rhino
>Dolmen gate, a card nobody uses nor expects allows you to attack with your piledrivers all day long, fuck you elves.
>Turn 3 I play 2 grenades and 1 Bolt that's 13 damage and you lost, gg

Well I lost to Burn and Affinity, but it was a fun evening.
>>
>>43811793
Provide us with a list, good sir?
>>
>>43811632
Mate, use Grapeshot or Empty the Warrens + Goblin Bushwhacker, much more effective.
>>
>>43812760
>>>/leddit/
>>
File: pestilence.jpg (18 KB, 306x301) Image search: [Google]
pestilence.jpg
18 KB, 306x301
>>43812813
I have failed anon. Kill me, and end my misery.
>>
>>43810327
Honestly not that reliable. It can be beat easily after sideboard or once someone knows how to work around it. I can say that every so often I can turn 4 kill sometimes turn 3 if I'm lucky.
The deck is pretty fun to play and I like to bust it out once in a while at my FLGS.
>>
>>43810327
It instantly dies to force of will and daze, probs the two most overused cards in legacy. Try cheerios if you want a fun deck that makes people go "what?" still dies to force of will
>>
>>43810248
hey thanks man! it is a lot of fun. It can be a bitch if your opponent isn't ready for it, although it's also relatively easy to shut down if they know what to expect. either way though, it is super fun to play and affordable
>>
>>43812938
I see you have wandered into the wrong section friend.
>>
>>43788439
Budget modern isn't actually modern. get money, play magic, in that order.
>>
>>43813940
is it really that black and white? i feel like there's troves of efficient budget decks that just haven't been built yet. the game is immense, even at the modern level. there are so many possibilities.
>>
>>43814278
Not that can compete with T1 or even T2 decks most of the time. You can build nearly infinite different piles of cards, but once you remove everything that is a worse version of something else, or so weak that it isn't worth doing or unplayably overcosted or massively inconsistent or any of the things that make decks and cards bad, you end up with what is basically the collection of "known" modern decks
>>
>>43814278
Some people think that you need to play a tier 1 deck to have fun.

Really there's a bunch of budget decks, even budget versions of T1 decks, that are viable at FNM level.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/search?tag=budget+magic
>>
File: 1365824634089.png (2 MB, 986x1500) Image search: [Google]
1365824634089.png
2 MB, 986x1500
Any Black Friday deals?
>>
>>43810065
>I'm thinking about building Amulet Bloom next. I only need to drop $200 to finish it.
Fucking go for it. It's really fun to play, hard to interact with, and easily the most busted deck in modern. might not make a lot of friends though.
>>
>>43810065
I'd wait until the next banlist update before spending money, maybe try proxying the cards first or something.
Enough people are bitching about it that I wouldn't want to buy in right now, even if they're wrong
>>
>>43801754
Took me a second.
>>
File: 1446392562095.jpg (42 KB, 530x546) Image search: [Google]
1446392562095.jpg
42 KB, 530x546
>>43815099

>magic cards
>discounted
>ever
>>
>>43815681
mind explaining? I've looked at it a dozen times and still don't get it. is it some kind of reference?
>>
>>43815724
my LGS is doing 65$ boxes of b4z and dragons.

I think troll and toad is doing 15 dollar fat packs of fate?
>>
I want to build a creatureless izzet deck that switch-hits into kiln fiends and delvers. Can this be remotely good, and if so is it overdone?
>>
>>43815810
Play pauper, delver fiend is a thing there
>>
>>43797447
>activate splintertwin combo
>mill Progenitus
>respond to shuffle trigger by sacrificing Relic of Progenitus
>Exile both graveyards and Progenitus, proceed to activate Splintertwin till his library is gone
>Pass turn, this still works if he has multiple Progenitus because you can respond to the trigger by milling more with alter of the brood and wait till you mill the other Progenitus and respond to that trigger on the stack by sacrificing Relic of Progenitus and exile both/all of them.
>>
>>43815954
Progenitus' shuffle effect is a replacement effect, not a triggered ability. You cannot respond to it.
>>
File: Insectile Aberration.gif (529 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Insectile Aberration.gif
529 KB, 480x360
>>43815099
my lgs is doing buy 3, get 1 free (equal/lesser value) including legacy staples, promo cards and ABUR duals.

>friday is payday
>4 volcs and 2 seas left in the case
might just jump off the deep end here. i have everything for deathrite delver aside from the actual duals.
>>
>>43815099
channel fireball has some pretty solid deals
http://store.channelfireball.com/advanced_search?buylist_mode=0&commit=Search&search%5Bbuy_price_gte%5D=&search%5Bbuy_price_lte%5D=&search%5Bdirection%5D=ascend&search%5Bfuzzy_search%5D=&search%5Bin_stock%5D=0&search%5Border%5D=&search%5Bsell_price_gte%5D=&search%5Bsell_price_lte%5D=&search%5Bsort%5D=name&search%5Btags_name_eq%5D=Countdown+to+Black+Friday
>>
>>43798752
Actually, I wonder if he could make a viable deck (tier 3 or 4 at absolute best, but still). Basically it's 4 of him, and then just shitloads of cheap cantrips and counters. Probably still too slow, but could be neat.
>>
>Order a set of Gatecrash Stomping grounds
>Get Guild pact ones by accident
Sugoi?
>>
>>43816621
>40$ misc jp boxes
The weeb in me might buy these
>>
>>43816856
It still amazes me how worthless Dragon's Maze was.
>>
>>43816899
At 40$ a box, you'll make a profit though!

http://mtgstocks.com/sets/111
>>
>>43816940
I know, I'm tempted too. I probably shouldn't, but regardless of the set, $40 boxes is not something you often see.
>>
>>43817045
Gather your weeb friends and have a draft!
>>
Rule number 2: You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18. So I'm assuming most of you are adults, which seems strange to me as to why would you still be playing Magic: The Gathering
>>
>>43816940
where do DM boxes cost 40$?
>>
>>43817275
>>
>>43816621
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.