[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General /exg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: NEXUSFinal.jpg (6 MB, 3500x2583) Image search: [Google]
NEXUSFinal.jpg
6 MB, 3500x2583
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: http://jyenicolson.net/exalted/. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Backer Core https://mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE
>Character Sheet & Init tracker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByD2BL6J89Nick41YUk0RUt3YlU
>Online charsheet:
http://howsfamily.net/Exalted
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: http://anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: http://www.brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>http://www.mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

Remember Morke and Holden are liars.

Anybody have any cool maps of Exalted cities or nations? Custom made areas or slightly altered canon are both cool.
>>
>>43782543
Is that an official map of Nexus? What's with that wyld zone inside the walls in the southeast section?
>>
I could certainly use a better map for Great Forks than the ones that I know exist. I got to spend a few hours earlier groaning to myself as I gave my players directions based on where I imagined they were in the city only for them to completely fuck them up, because they didn't have a map to reference.

I just let them be right, anyways, but it screwed up my mental image of the scene when the guy who I said would be arriving from north-west said he came from the north-east.
>>
>>43782805
It's not official, but it's based on an official map from 2e. The Wyld Zone is the result of someone using an artifact or sorcery or something to throw the area into the Wyld, iirc.

Basically, it's a mini-Bordermarch area where the capital district used to be.
>>
>>43782805

Its an adapted official map. Firewarder does in fact have a Wyld zone in it but it is not dangerous. Most people just avoid it and every now and then something spooky happens. People just outside of it tend to get mutations but that is it for the most part. It was made by the Fair Folk during the Balorian Crusade

>Now, the golden dome of the provincial capitol is rarely visible, due to the constant flame, smoke and lightning. Scholars believe the Fair Folk set off some sort of weapon under the dome, creating the Wyld zone that still persists
>>
Re: Wyld zones, I'm pretty sure that the thematic intent in 1e was that you could potentially find them anywhere in Creation, as kind of a literal take on how premodern travelers would describe areas inhabited by unicorns or dragons or dog-men or whatever.

Then they kind of forgot about that while doing up writeups of everything.
>>
File: Japanese Sparta.jpg (309 KB, 1339x897) Image search: [Google]
Japanese Sparta.jpg
309 KB, 1339x897
Might as well post the official map of Lookshy. Because fuck yeah Lookshy.
>>
>tfw greenmaws wipe the fucking FLOOR with blood apes
>tfw tidemare vs. agata would be an even trade if there weren't two other flying spells already
>tfw vaktri are better socialites than neomah and can actually be taken into a fight
>tfw Summon Elemental is currently better than Demon of the First Circle

Did not see this coming.
>>
>>43785207
Elemental was always better than Demon, only the duration let it down
>>
How exactly do I use Socialize? I got it on a character to be able to talk to people, and have my motives be harder to discern, but from what I got last thread, that's not exactly how it works. Anyone care to enlighten me?
>>
>>43785766
Manipulation + Socialize / 2 is your Guile score, which helps you resist things like read intentions actions.

Perception + Socialize is what you use to read intentions. It is a super-useful dicepool to be good at because it tells you why a conversation is happening - does the pretty girl think you're cute, think you're an easy mark, or is she just a hollow-souled meat puppet that doesn't think anything and is about to explode and murder you?
>>
>>43785804
So i'll probably want to nix socialize, and grab presence if the goal is to make people leave me alone and shit like that, won't I?
>>
>>43785857

Socialize, as an ability, is about knowing everyone's buttons so well (and nobody knowing yours) that you don't need Presence's raw power.

It's less about making people leave you alone and more about you being untouchable, socially, while leveraging everyone against everyone else.

Integrity is the ability you want to make people leave you alone, if only out of sheer stubbornness on your part.
>>
>>43785877
So while it's weaker in the offensive category, it still can be offensive. It's just more subtle, with a lot of pushing the right buttons to turn people towards your cause.

Did I get that right?
>>
>>43785569
Doesn't look like there's a difference of duration in 3e. Also, the write-up specifies that the elemental probably won't continue to exist after the spell is complete unless it's developed a full personality, so it's less like slavery than the demon binding spells.
>>
>>43786211

Basically, yep!
>>
>>43785207
>>43785569
Wait, what? I always heard that Demon was the better choice of the two.
>>
>>43786211
Learning someone's intimacies is always going to be important, unless you're strong enough to brute force your own intimacies onto them.
>>
>>43786226
Perfect! That's generally what I was looking to do in the first place!
>>
>>43786235

It was, in 2E, insofar as task-binding and having a year and a day of service blew away the moderate increase in utility (in that they aren't weird as fuck, dangerous, and socially ostracizing) of elementals.

In 3E, the duration has been standardized, so it comes down purely to how elementals and demons compare as individuals, and Elementals generally beat out FCDs.
>>
>>43786215
In 2e Demon lasted a year & a day, whereas Elemental lasted only a month, and spamming the spell to recall the same elementals over and over got the spirit courts all up in your business.

In 3e Demon lasts and year and a day and Elemental's description says it has the same duration as Demon, so they stick around longer. Plus since you're creating new Elementals instead of calling existing ones, the Spirit courts no longer give you shit if you keep calling away the censor's favourite concubine to be a spirit pet for your dumb Solar ass
>>
>>43786235
>>43786272

Addendum: This is further complicated by the fact that Summon Elemental stops at Essence 3 (ie, FCD) while the Demon line of spells goes on ahead.

In 2E, Summon Elemental worked for everything.
>>
>>43786296
>2e Summon Elemental
>get 13 mortal sorcerers together and they can summon the Kukla

I'll miss that
>>
File: you're nuts.jpg (13 KB, 355x80) Image search: [Google]
you're nuts.jpg
13 KB, 355x80
>>43786343
>>
>>43786211
Socialize works very well in cut-throat party environment, when you don't particularly want to convince someone that a cause is just, but bribe him discretely, threaten him subtly, or just convince him that this cause will help him in the long run.

Socialize is what you use when you want to be subtle, not a divine god-king because-I-say-so. You can use Socialize in such a way that nobody even knows you are making a point or trying to do a social attack. You can be the forgotten waitress of a social party and control everyone behind the scene, by instance.
>>
>>43786559
That's perfect. I wanted to make this character forgettable, at least a little.
>>
>>43786513
Nobody ever said apocalypse cults were rational
>>
>>43783554
is there one of these for Chiaroscuro?
>>
>>43786618
>implying that /pol/ wouldn't summon the Kukla to usher in the Happening
>>
>>43786754

No. They only mapped cities in the Scavenger Lands book.
>>
>>43786793
Damn.
>>
>>43786587
Stealth does it better. Socialize lets you understand how to break people most of it doesn't let you do it directly but some does. Then there's Persona charms which here's my opinion of them.

In my opinion, Personas are impractical. You need larceny 4 on every persona because Flawless Impenetrable Design doesn't actually work on other persona without the larceny skill or last an indefinite amount of time which means you need to reapply it each time or grab it's upgrades. Also technically you need socialize 5 on every character so you can get out of persona but hopefully your ST isn't a dick and lets you get out of it by just spending the motes and willpower.You'll also need a host of stats most of which will be necessary or unnecessary depending on the character to maximize your persona's stats. 5 of Socialize a combat ability, Bureaucracy or presence, Integrity or linguistics, Ride and sail.

My suggestion would be to take some resistance and Melee on your main character and have your persona mono focus in melee trees to maximize their usefulness. Right now I only have one persona but that persona is pretty much focusing on my combat tree Thrown while my main character focuses on socialize and dodge. The only way to actually get back what you put into persona is to either make a charm that lets you minimize the time to switch into persona or take the charm at your service to instantly acquire your persona's charms while keeping some of your own. There's also the limit increasing one but for my purposes At your service is much more useful.

Personally, though my ST is against Homebrew I'll eventually be able to make a charm that lets me get a body double.

The idea is you can appear with a persona sharing the same mote pool not being able to preform offensive actions with both of them at the same time but basically having another "You" that lets you fool enemies further but not sure how to balance it.
>>
How would you model the whole "two fighters inflict fatal wounds on each other at the same time" trope?
>>
>>43786950
Highest level stunt wins
>>
>>43786950

Counterattack?
>>
>>43782543
Hi guys mind if I join?
>>
>>43786972
Well I just filtered you so sure, post away
>>
>>43786950
>How would you model the whole "two fighters inflict fatal wounds on each other at the same time" trope?
If they go on the same turn then they both preform their actions at the same turn roll defense at the same time and attack. Then calculate damage after the final rolls are in.
>>
>>43786984

>what is clash
>>
>>43786979
Ok, so Im on a sailboat on the ocean and I got a neat sail thats really neat anyways im cool so I can kinda do whatever I want. Anyways wanna hop on my boat and join me or do you want to swim with sharks?
>>
>>43786992
A clash generally indicates that one attack does no damage while the other does. It doesn't really model the situation of two characters fatally wounding each other.
>>
>>43786992
Clash of titans?

On to the titan tower we go.

Have faith in me and I will protect you.
>>
>>43787007
First one to shout out an injury they take instead of the damage gets it, and the other one dies
>>
>>43787024
That doesn't work if someone has resistance. Neither should the guy with resistance actually take damage if he has a bunch of charms running. I mean there are so many factors. I'd rather they just play it like a normal turn than something that would hose a player because he didn't build for the situation.
>>
>>43787024
The concept is flawed and confused, it seems that you read to deep in to the nature of things without understanding the basic principles that bring you confusion, I suggest you pray.

Also it does not matter who did what first what matters is that it was done regardless anyways , understand this. Those who shoot for the stars, will they fall if there is no gravity? If you create the gravity will you be affected if so how? And what are the consequences of doing so? Does it harm the environment if so why? And if so why would you?
>>
>>43787043
The charms do not matter once you can identify their attributes but to do so can possibly be costly. Why? Because those who put up the charms did so most likely
for evil intentions. What is light?
>>
where can I find exalted 2.5 bulds
>>
So, I made an artifact and built some Evocations for it. It's intentionally not massively powerful, more intended for flexibility (pun intended) and interesting combos and stunts.

But since I'm still getting the hang of 3E, can people give it a quick look over and make sure I haven't made any really stupid mistakes?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wg5SQwjwYRideXtHugsAkBooq8ar8NqUhfs_h_97Hfc/pub
>>
What would a Charm that for a 1-5 motes does something dramatic (cloak billow, glass shine, etc.) and maybe give a small bonus to something, have?
Like, presence 1 e1? Performance 3 e5?
>>
>>43787845
There are five problems with this post, can anyone spot them all?
>>
>>43788758
Grammar, capitalization, punctuation, builds, 2.5e?
>>
>>43788755
Phantom-Conjuring Performance.
>>
>>43788793
Should be six really, shouldn't be an 's' at the end of 'builds'.
>>
>>43788664
>Midnight Viper

As entertained as I am that you're literally beating people to death with your bull's custom-order realdildo, there are some issues, yes.

Pair benefit is probably fine. Ignoring a ton of style weapon restrictions is the kind of thing that STs frown on because it's annoying and because no one knows if Martial Arts that don't mix don't mix for a reason or not. I guess it doesn't matter unless you're trying to argue that urumi are flexible SWORDS and therefore you should be able to Steel Devil Ebon Shadow it up.

"It's magnetically attracted to metal armor, +(Essence) Accuracy" is so fucking boring. I probably wouldn't give you that uncapped, I'd set it to one extra success (same as +2 but no dice tricks need apply) and glare a lot.

Writhing Whip Blood-Drinker: No, come the fuck off it. Reflexive savaging while you do other things is not a reasonable first Evocation. For 2m?! You didn't even have the good grace to toss a Willpower cost on and pretend? Go look at reflexive attacks that aren't Solar Counterattack and let me know how many you find with no Willpower cost.

Lancing Extension - good, but drop the Overwhelm. A range buff and Piercing is plenty for one Charm, and scaling Overwhelming on a light weapon as a 3m Evocation that also does those things is a no-go.

Twisting Snares Assault: I feel like every one of these is made with a particular exploitative combination in mind and I hate it, anyway, this is over-the-top. How about make the unarmed attack unexpected (you can combine that with even more things, like Ebon Shadow, yaaaay) if you can Wits + Martial Arts their Parry or something, make it a slightly weirder Foe-Vaulting Method. Its 5m cost helps balance out that you're competing against a Solar Charm.

Choking the Innocent: make it cost 10m, 1wp and drop the "you disarm yourself" stuff.
>>
>>43783554
How does an agricultural district that small feed the city?
>>
>>43789954
My best guess it doesn't anymore, at this point Lookshy is big and influential enough that it can easily import food from farms outside the city too.

If that's not the case, then there's probably some manse or demesne related shenanigans.
>>
>>43789954
>>43790007
There are other farms outside the southern wall, maintained by commoners. The agriculture district, in all likelihood, is just where the gentes-sponsored or -maintained farms are.
>>
>>43790059
Alternately, it might just be for geomantic reasons rather than practical food production. Notice the giant park, too. The city's got something like a half-dozen manses in an area of 25-30 square miles; I wouldn't be surprised if they needed to make sacrifices like that to keep the dragon lines flowing.
>>
>>43786276
God forbid your actions have consequences.
>>
Sooo some gm advice please. Should the Exalted mostly deal with mortals since the general Exalted are rare or should I throw everything and the kitchen sink at them because it's like a weirdness magnet?
>>
>>43790635
Dragonbloods are not rare at all. Sids want to assassinate or manipulate Solars. Both of those you should include.
The others are scattered or in groups, pursuing their own agendas. Should their agendas oppose the PCs...
>>
>>43790635
How common something is should only matter if you're treating it like a reality show, where you see every minute of their lives.

Show the interesting bits. If you have interesting stuff with mortals, that's fine.
>>
>>43790635
Start them off dealing with mortals. It'll be easier to you, let the players - assuming they're new tot he game, that is - get a proper feel for how powerful Solars really are compared to mortals, and give a more accurate view on the setting. Introduce supernatural entities little by little, as the PCs gain fame and overgrow their initial ambitions. Throw in a god or a mortal sorcerer or an Outcaste Dragon-Blooded whose interest either conflict or align with those of the PCs, then maybe let the Wyld Hunt hear about the character's Anathema exploits, or have them stumble in the middle of a plot of some Sidereal, or have a Lunar warlord with an interest in the PC's newest conquest show up, or something like that. Point is start with mortals, let the players properly understand how big a deal the Exalted are, then introduce beings of power.
>>
>>43790666
>Dragonbloods are not rare at all

Compared to the total population they are still very rare
>>
File: 1446987366673.jpg (194 KB, 1066x1599) Image search: [Google]
1446987366673.jpg
194 KB, 1066x1599
>>43790829
Considering Solars are often dealing with warlords, rulers, sorcerers and other important people, they might be a small part of the population, but Solars still meet them often.
>>
File: McLaren-MP4-4-Honda.jpg (165 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
McLaren-MP4-4-Honda.jpg
165 KB, 1024x683
I love motorsports so I was coming up with the character concept of a race car driver turned Solar in the Modern shard (with 3e rules), but then I realized just how difficult it would be to hide one's Solar status. In the Bronze Age "standard" setting, people might see you get stabbed in the chest or leap really high and just be like "eh, they must be really skilled" unless you flare or do something blatantly obvious. But in a Modern shard where entire teams of people have turned driving really goddamn fast into a science, people'll are gonna notice real quick that Radiant Solar Engine is driving two seconds faster than everyone else out of nowhere, hitting 220mph in a car meant to do 210, and cornering at speeds which are utterly impossible.

Also, sneaking an artifact car past the race officials would be pretty much impossible. Those fuckers inspect every nut and bolt and I'm sure an entirely golden chassis would be pretty conspicuous (speaking of, given how dense the MM are an artifact car would be absurdly heavy).
>>
>>43791304
>But in a Modern shard where entire teams of people have turned driving really goddamn fast into a science, people'll are gonna notice real quick that Radiant Solar Engine is driving two seconds faster than everyone else out of nowhere, hitting 220mph in a car meant to do 210, and cornering at speeds which are utterly impossible.

Presuming you mean "a Modern shard" as in Earth, what are they gonna do, exactly? "Wow you're freakishly good!" "Sure am." "We're gonna check you for drugs / nonstandard parts / etc etc etc" "Sure, go ahead. You're not magical, so you're not gonna find SHIT."

Nobody's gonna turn a racecar driver over to the government for dissection because he's really, really good.

>Also, sneaking an artifact car past the race officials would be pretty much impossible. Those fuckers inspect every nut and bolt and I'm sure an entirely golden chassis would be pretty conspicuous (speaking of, given how dense the MM are an artifact car would be absurdly heavy).

Unless, of course, the car is designed to hide itself. Which it would be, since it's a cheater's car.

Not like race officials would be equipped with All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight.
>>
>>43791354
>Presuming you mean "a Modern shard" as in Earth,

I mean the official one from Shards of the Exalted Dream.

>Nobody's gonna turn a racecar driver over to the government for dissection because he's really, really good.

I didn't mean that, I meant in the actual championship. Other teams/drivers and official body would probably want to know why the hell you can do things known to be impossible.

Then again, a car can only endure so much, so maybe it wouldn't be "the Solar is doing blatantly impossible things on track" but "the Solar is just a REALLY damn good driver".
>>
>>43791354
>Presuming you mean "a Modern shard" as in Earth, what are they gonna do, exactly? "Wow you're freakishly good!" "Sure am." "We're gonna check you for drugs / nonstandard parts / etc etc etc" "Sure, go ahead. You're not magical, so you're not gonna find SHIT."
I assume he means the modern shard, as in the one from shards. In which case the existence of supernatural creatures in the form of fae at least is well-known. Plus, driving one second faster than everyone else is noteworthy enough every exalt that reads the newspaper or watches TV will know something's up.
>>
>>43791399
If he's really that good a driver, then he can fake being merely a bit better than his opponents, deliberately holding back enough to only break world-records by a tenth of a second
>>
>>43791399
>>43791400

The one from Exalted Dream has Exalts as a known thing, so they probably just have Exalt-only racing leagues where anything goes. Artifact cars, Charms, summoning demons onto the track, etc.
>>
>>43791425
That could work. I'm just spitballing here, I like the idea of a Solar driver.

>>43791451
Really? I thought Exalts were unknown to all but the highest parts of government and the Infernals who control everything.
>>
>>43791466
>Really?

Maybe, but that's the impression I got, I distinctly remember Exalts being on, like, police forces and shit.

Other supernatural beings are definitely a known thing, so it might not be Exalts-specifically as a league, just, "hey let's grab these Blood Apes and race them alongside whoever's ballsy enough to take 'em."
>>
>>43791499
>Maybe, but that's the impression I got, I distinctly remember Exalts being on, like, police forces and shit.
The Exalted Modern shard from Shards of the Exalted Dream was basically Guyver. The Dragonblooded were the Zoanoids, the Infernals were the Zoalords, and the Alchemicals were the Guyvers.
>>
>>43791499
>I distinctly remember Exalts being on, like, police forces and shit.

That was the thing, the world governments knew about Dragon-Blooded, Alchemicals, and Sidereals, and used them (hell in the first two cases they MAKE them). But the average populace didn't. Exalted Modern is trying to be a modern spy thriller where conspiracies are everywhere and the top brass are hiding the truth about the world from the average person.

For instance SoED says that the Wyld exists, and the world governments station their armies against it to keep out Raksha and other Wyld nasties, but the average person has no idea this is happening at all. They don't even know the world HAS a border in the first place.

But the Solars, Lunars, and Abyssals are new, I think. People don't know about them yet.
>>
>>43791499
>>43791466
Dragon-Blooded are a known quantity, as they are the war heroes and poster children of various world governments, companies and militaries.

The Lunars are the boogeymen and aliens of Modern. There's lots of obscure websites describing whole conspiracy theories about Lunars existing and being among the people, and nobody takes them very seriously.

Solars are not very well known yet as they have only started showing up again, but Yurgen Kaneko is an old Chief of Police who went on a suicide shoot-out with mobsters because he wanted to go out with a bang and came back all glowy and golden.

Alchemicals are not very well known either, but some sightings have happened, and the mega-corps that have created and subsequently let them escape are certainly doing everything in their power to keep them a secret but also putting in a lot of effet to recover them - effort that might sometimes be visible to the public if not traced back to them.

Sids Infernals are all mysteries that will not be known of by much people at all, most of which are aware of the true history of the world.

Abyssals I don't remember much about but I seem to recall some of them have come out fo the Underworld apparently wanting to engage in diplomacy with the nations of the world.
>>
>>43791606
>Abyssals I don't remember much about but I seem to recall some of them have come out fo the Underworld apparently wanting to engage in diplomacy with the nations of the world.
Giving them the D
...iplomacy.
>>
Question:
>If Alchemicals turn into Cities, and Infernals with the right setup turn into Primordials,then what are Abyssals turning into?
>>
File: 1445545205146.png (1 MB, 1193x784) Image search: [Google]
1445545205146.png
1 MB, 1193x784
>>43791704
They don't, nor do Solars. Their shtick is literally never dying.
>>
>>43791704
Why should they turn into anything?
>>
>>43791704
...Alchemicals becoming cities and Infernals becoming Primordials have nothing to do with each other. At all. That was a planned and intentional thing for Alchemicals while it's a completely unexpected and heretical thing for Infernals.
>>
File: 1337731329000.jpg (150 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1337731329000.jpg
150 KB, 1024x576
>>43791704
>If Alchemicals turn into Cities, and Infernals with the right setup turn into Primordials,then what are Abyssals turning into?

Solars.
>>
>>43791806
I actually like the theme of Abyssals and Solars as mirrors of each other, so I hope they don't move away from that too much. Also think it would be cool if they supported the possibility of Solars becoming Abyssals as well as vice-versa.
>>
>>43791837
That's always been a thing. It's called a monstrance of celestial portion or w/e
Shove the Solar in, then wait a while until they give in to despair and anger and become an emobyssal

Alternatively, take that one Solar charm that lets you learn Abyssal charms, in 2e
>>
>>43791871
But aren't Abyssal Charms just Solar charms with extra rape?
>>
>>43791931
Solar charms are rape and asexual erasure, Abyssal charms double down on the rape.
>>
>>43791354

>Not like race officials would be equipped with All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight.

Funny, I gave access to Paparazi having Essence scanners in my game due to recent events (Such as one exalt's attempt to take over Creation). It doesn't tell much, but it makes Exalts stick out.

Then again, that may be because its an old 2e'ism that was put into my 3e game.
>>
>>43791956
Right, fuck, always get them mixed up.
Fucking 1s and 11s.
>>
>>43791550

I don't think people are dumb enough to know that the world is without a border.

Raksha sure, but definitely not borderless.
>>
>>43791606

What is the true history?
>>
>>43792224
It's explained in the Exalted Modern chapter. Something about how some Solars became Infernals at the dawn of time and then proceeded to fuck everyone and become the secret masters of Creation.
>>
>>43792261
aka approved Infernal fanfic in a non-canon book
>>
Another gm question. How much downtime should the players have? If you only pay attention to the downtime stuff, should they get like weeks of down time? Months? Years even, considering how long live the exalted are?
>>
>>43792470
>Years even, considering how long live the exalted are?

I've argued this point before, but the consensus is that if you disappear for a year you're going to come back to basically have to start from scratch because everything you did and built before will be gone.

No matter that the leaders of the Realm live for centuries and other things live even longer, and this would (in my opinion) engender a sense of patience and perspective in all the major players in the setting, most people it seems play out the entire campaign in less than anything from a few weeks to a few years because that's how long it will take for the realm to implode and some great force or other to declare themselves the new king of the hill.
>>
>>43792261

>World of Darkness says hi.
>>
>>43792455
...You're asking me about the true history of the Exalted Modern shard but won't accept the written text from the chapter that presents that shard?

Is something wrong with your head?
>>
File: 1446425027838.jpg (697 KB, 694x998) Image search: [Google]
1446425027838.jpg
697 KB, 694x998
>>43792470
>How much downtime should the players have?
Ideally, none. Time jumps should be reserved to make corrections for plot hiccups.

Like maybe you accidentally gave them an airship when you meant to give them a sea ship. That kind of hiccup.

The only type of character that really needs downtime is a crafter, and the devs have kindly removed them from the game, so there's really little need for the characters to sit around idling.
>>
>>43792568
Hey, anon, heads up: sometimes different people join in on a conversation just to shitpost
>>
File: BeiFongIsOutraged.png (174 KB, 460x413) Image search: [Google]
BeiFongIsOutraged.png
174 KB, 460x413
>>43792571
>Ideally, none. Time jumps should be reserved to make corrections for plot hiccups.

>What is an ellipsis and why is it used in every form of storytelling
>>
File: relax.gif (997 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
relax.gif
997 KB, 500x700
>>43792640
Tolkien famously used parenthetical asides instead.
>>
>>43792571
>The only type of character that really needs downtime is a crafter, and the devs have kindly removed them from the game, so there's really little need for the characters to sit around idling.
>What are training times?
>What are rituals and other long-term cast time magic?
>What are NPCs who don't have every hour of every day to wait for the PCs to return with the macguffin?
>>
>>43791704
If I remember right, Glories UCS says something about them becoming more powerful than the neverborn intended. So basically it's the same thing a Transcendent Gaian Harmonist gets but more vague and more dead
>>
Can spirits with access to sorcery successfully summon and bind demons?
>>
>>43792978
Yes
>>
>>43792992
>She knows all spells of the first two circles printed in this book (see Chapter Seven), save for those that summon elementals and demons, which she, as a spirit, is incapable of using.
>>
>>43793069
2e or 3e?
>>
>>43793069
And again in the Nephwrack entry:
>Most know at least a few spells, while some will know all listed in this book and potentially more (though as spirits, they cannot learn Demon of the First Circle or Summon Elemental).
>>
>>43792776
Rp it you lazy bum
>>
>>43793100

Ah, right, that's 3E.

Though I don't remember 2E having anything to say about it?
>>
>>43793109
But can 2nd circle okay
>>
>>43793126
>Ah, right, that's 3E.

Well I guess I'm wrong then
>>
>>43793118

RP what? 3 weeks of training to sword better? 2 days of sitting around waiting for an NPC to get back?

Should we do it in real time or can we just RP every third hour?

Downtime's downtime.
>>
>>43793136

A nephwrack that can tap into Celestial Sorcery at all is already a unique case, I'd wager, so they can do whatever the fuck they please.
>>
>>43793155
Even aside from actual uses of downtime, I find it makes sense to have periods where relatively little worthy of roleplaying or rolling dice happens. Even for the Exalted it would feel weird for decades to be filled with constant adventure and excitement. Times when people just relax, pursue their hobbies or attend to the boring details of administering an empire or whatever make things feel more 'real' or lifelike.
>>
A third circle demon appears in a mortal kingdom.
No friendly Exalted in the area.
Are the Mortals fucked?
>>
>>43793502
Yes.
>>
>>43793502

Holy shit yes.

Like, there's no guarantee the demon is HOSTILE, but there's basically fucking nothing the mortals can do about it. It's gonna do whatever it wants to do, and everyone who objects can enjoy being sucked into a ravine / annihilated by green fire / warped into a shadow-thing / etc.
>>
>>43793502
Depends on the type of third circle demon, but 9 times out of 10, yes. The other 1 time is an EXTRA YES.

DEMONBLOODS FOR EVERYONE
>>
>>43793502
Depends entirely on the demon. Not all 3CDs have interests that would lead them to fuck mortals over, either intentionally or accidentally.
>>
>>43793324
This, even exalts should be able to chill every once in a while. Once the party had stopped the Deathlord from blowing up a nearby city they better be able to run of to the manse and relax for at least a few months, honing their skills.

Or fucking. I mean, they're Exalts.
>>
>>43793502
Not if they can form enough battlegroups.

BATTLEGROUPS!
>>
>>43793539

What demon would be the worst?
>>
>>43794090
A particularly ill-tempered soul of Cece or Kimbery, probably.
>>
File: greensun.gif (265 B, 76x13) Image search: [Google]
greensun.gif
265 B, 76x13
>>43794090
Ligier?
GREEN SUN WASTING FOR EVERYONE
>>
>>43788957
>As entertained as I am that you're literally beating people to death with your bull's custom-order realdildo

But who knew muh magical realm was magnetic chains?

>Pair benefit is probably fine. Ignoring a ton of style weapon restrictions is the kind of thing that STs frown on because it's annoying and because no one knows if Martial Arts that don't mix don't mix for a reason or not. I guess it doesn't matter unless you're trying to argue that urumi are flexible SWORDS and therefore you should be able to Steel Devil Ebon Shadow it up.

Yeah, anyone saying that needs a slap upside the chakras. Slashing swords are slashing swords. An urumi version of Steel Devil would be fucking awesome but it would also not be Steel Devil.

One note I'll make is that it counts as being the weapon for that style only while the Form is up, so if you want it to count for 3 different things at once you need a multiform Charm, which we won't have until Sids at earliest.

>"It's magnetically attracted to metal armor, +(Essence) Accuracy" is so fucking boring. I probably wouldn't give you that uncapped, I'd set it to one extra success (same as +2 but no dice tricks need apply) and glare a lot.

Yeah. Honestly I could probably drop the whole thing. I kinda just wanted to do something with the magnets bit, cos who knows how they work?
>>
>>43788957
>Writhing Whip Blood-Drinker: No, come the fuck off it. Reflexive savaging while you do other things is not a reasonable first Evocation.

Shit. Um. I flat-out didn't realise you COULD do other actions while clinching - but reading the Grapple section again you're right, there's nothing to stop the controller of a clinch spending a control round activating a Simple or going FD or whatever, it just means the victim can act that turn. Stupid 2e assumptions. Increase cost a bit, move up the tree and explicitly disallow using during anything other than a Restrain/Drag?

>Lancing Extension - good, but drop the Overwhelm. A range buff and Piercing is plenty for one Charm, and scaling Overwhelming on a light weapon as a 3m Evocation that also does those things is a no-go.

Yeah. It was originally a second-tier Evocation, hence wanting a little more oomph to fit in with other "attack Evos" from other items, but desu it doesn't need it anyway - the range and Piercing is more than enough.

>Twisting Snares Assault: I feel like every one of these is made with a particular exploitative combination in mind

Naaah, but you're close. The idea is "exploitation weapon" - it's not really built around any specific exploit, more around being very exploitable. Which is not really something I see as being an issue for Exalted.
>>
>>43788957

>anyway, this is over-the-top. How about make the unarmed attack unexpected (you can combine that with even more things, like Ebon Shadow, yaaaay) if you can Wits + Martial Arts their Parry or something, make it a slightly weirder Foe-Vaulting Method. Its 5m cost helps balance out that you're competing against a Solar Charm.

I specifically made the Withering count as Overwhelm so this just fails hard against enemies with Overwhelm defences. With a Wits+MA pool of 10, this reduces a DV by 5, which is powerful (but not massively so for a second tier E2 Evocation). With an Excellency it pulls it down by 10, but if your opponent has one too that just means you're both blowing Excellencies at each other (and he can STILL blow it away with an Overwhelm negator).

The Decisive thing is in there because this artifact is just shit at Decisive and I was bored at everything being withers. I wanted a small bonus, not too much, and not counting as Overwhelm so this Evo doesn't become completely useless against someone with an Overwhelm negator. Maybe change it to one extra success?

>Choking the Innocent: make it cost 10m, 1wp and drop the "you disarm yourself" stuff.

Looking at comparable costs for scenelengths you're probably right - I was working on the basis that the probability of it actually passing all the hurdles to return to you and thus carry on being quite low, but that's not much of a thing. But the "you disarm yourself" stuff is intentional. This thing is built for MA-ers, they don't get disarmed, and there's nothing to stop you activating it then pulling out some hook swords or whatever. Also note that apart from the explicitly called out synergy with Writhing Blood Drinker, the artifact makes the rolls rather than the wielder, meaning you can't boost it.
>>
>>43787063
???????????
>>
>>43796247
Reducing a DV by 5 is very similar to getting 5 non-Charm successes. In 2.5e, the big exploits everybody started grabbing onto were things that reduced enemy DVs or created external penalties because that's how you break caps.

Circumstantially getting to break caps because it's a thunderstorm or whatever is awesome. A Charm that can swing 2-5 points of DV is serious business.

Evocations kind of have the problem that martial arts did in 2E, where usually they're not really upping your efficacy so much as giving you a weird trick on the side that you can bundle into your attack routine - Shining Ice Mirror and Spring Razor, for example, share a theme of Pay Way More Motes To Reeeally Fuck People. Beloved Adorei is incredibly contingent on your opponent's ideological opposition to you. Moonlit Huntress is weird, but you can see how it's not really in the business of substituting even in part for your combat Charms. Hunting Hawk is about jumping in the air and flying around. Even Black Wind - its Charms are straight combat buffs, sort of, but they're so wrapped up in story that actually getting to deploy them is probably a one or two-time deal. Volcano Cutter looks like an exception, but its special activation rules and the massive timescale it needs to get going (to use the final Charm takes 20-25 turns of continual combat) mean it actually does mostly stick to what it's good at, killing behemoths too large to fight conventionally.

All of these Artifacts convey their real combat benefits, the things you can count on, as their attunement bonuses. Beloved Adorei gives you stupid stats, Black Wind is horrific in extended battles, Volcano Cutter is just begging for Excellent Strike, Spring Razor lets you boop someone with penalties and initiative drain, Shining Ice Mirror's free full defenses actually offer you a valid change in playstyle.

The pattern is that these things come at combat efficacy orthogonally, noncompetitively. You're going real direct.
>>
File: Exalted 3e personified.gif (478 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Exalted 3e personified.gif
478 KB, 500x375
>Ex 3 core book – From RichT: Devs working on notating changes to a clean PDF to send to me and Maria for review. Art corrections are in progress. Unique Charm Compilation Reward backers continue to send in their ideas for the Charms that the team will be creating for them.

>physical copy out before 2017
>>
>>43797903
I wish I could filter pictures.
>>
>>43797932
I think that's possible in one of the extensions out there.
>>
>She couples with the last survivor in the >middle of the blood-soaked field. Either this >act turns the victor into a behemoth, or >Kashta bears the victor’s behemoth child >through her scream of fulfillment

wtf
>>
>>43798882
Third Circle Demons are goddamn weird.
>>
>>43798926
>Demons are goddamn weird.
Welcome to Exalted, friend.
>>
>>43799031
That was actually the point I was making.
>>
>>43798882
Has anyone ever used her in a game?
>>
>>43792470
As much as they need in my opinion. Most of my players haven't really needed much downtime, at least until they started building a city from the ground up. There was also the Devil Tiger needing 3 months of being in a remote location in his cocoon with his 2 friends guarding him while he ascended. Fun times that.
>>
Are there any 3-dot familiars statted up for 3e other than the tyrant lizard? Did I miss something?
>>
>>43800170
If I recall this conversation correctly, I believe there WERE more in the leak, then they got cut out for the backer PDF.
>>
>>43800170
>>43800191

Tyrant Lizards honestly warp the curve here. If you deleted them, I think a mutated hellboar or one of the FCDs would be a good mark for a 3-dot familiar; it's T. Lizards and their kin (Yeddims, Armored Terrors, etc.) that are way out of wack
>>
What would be the best mount to have at character creation if you weren't going supernal survival?
>>
>>43800532
How do you define 'best mount'? Fastest? Most combat-worthy? Funniest?
>>
>>43800578
whats the funniest?
>>
>>43800674
Probably a cow you've Worked wings onto.

Name it Bessie. Insist on bellowing its name whenever the ST is trying to build drama or otherwise force the group to dwell on the deep themes of power and its consequences.
>>
>>43800674
>>43800948
No it's Mushu from Mulan, and he can only become big when you give him permission because of a geass some ancestor ghosts put on him for being a loud, obnoxious caricature of a person. And any time he starts to look even a little bit dignified, plot intervenes.
>>
So, I need some ST advice.
I ran the first session of my game yesterday, which was mostly just getting the players together and giving them a reason to work together. The session ended with them walking off to a pub to have a drink with a mortal they freed from the control of a marotte(by 'killing' the marotte).

I gave them a handful of plothooks(a demon-worshiping cult that's left a few dead bodies tied up and mutilated in public, a fair folk who has a house on the edge of the city with a sign outside inviting people to come in, and an exigent on the docks who introduces himself to EVERYONE who arrives by dock and asks if they've met a woman) and told them to let me know what they want to do, either based on one of the plothooks or on personal character motivations, before the next session.

My problem is, they're so used to Dungeons and Dicks that they don't seem to even want to choose to tackle something without it being directly handed to them by someone, with one of them giving an in-character explanation of 'why would i go check on those things now? they don't affect me at all, and they've already happened, so i don't see why i would go looking into them'

How the fuck do I get my players to fucking choose a goal for themselves?
>>
>>43802278

You really can't. If players don't want to do things I have no idea why they are playing. What did they want to do in D&D? Acquire wealth? Well they can do that in like a day but it will get them doing something at least.

If they dick around too much that demon cult will probably summon a demon hoard in the middle of town and they can either deal with that or leave town.

So just give them consequences for their inaction and make them realize they need to be proactive or things are going to get really shitty everywhere.
>>
>>43802278

Take something away from them and tell them who did it. Make them hate someone. Or introduce them to someone who's in over their head and needs help. Just throw problems at the Exalted and develop the ones they latch onto.
>>
>>43802278
You might have to escalate things a little. Either by giving them something more directly related to their stated motivations, or by progressing the hooks you've already got out.

The cult kills a few more people, then goes public with a bunch of 1CDs backing them. A couple months later, they summon Sondok.

Dream-eaten wretches start appearing all over town. A cursory investigation reveals that they've been seen entering the fae house. Later on, the house starts getting larger, but nobody is ever seen working on it.

The Exigent's woman gets thrown through a window into the room they happen to be in.
>>
>>43802414
>>43802443

Anon, if the suggestion of the poster below you fails, I'd honestly suggest just being a dick and forcing a situation on them at the start of a night.

Sometimes there's literally nothing to be done than to open your session with "okay you're creeping into the lair of Badguy Man now, oh shit his goons are everywhere, do something." If they're going to complain and be a pile of shits because this isn't what they wanted, then tell them to choose something next time.

If they bitch about having to do something in the fucking first place, they probably shouldn't be playing a tabletop.
>>
>>43802492
"Okay, everybody, perception+awareness."

"You wake up exactly where you went to sleep, only now everything is on fire."

Though really, anyone with a good suite of awareness charms and surprise-cancellers should be able to wake up before the fire starts and catch the perpetrators in the act.
>>
>>43802414
>>43802463
I like your ideas, but uh
The demon cult is specifically worshipping a 2CD of Malfeas that I made up, and they're leaving mutilated corpses because they're trying to reach out to the demon.(He's got a hard-on for sadistic sex shit) I did plan on having them actually summon him if the players left them alone for long enough, though.
The Fair Folk is recruiting people for an army to fight in a battle against another Fair Folk outside the city, because the two of them are currently at a pause in their personal stories until she can gather enough of an army to at least pose a contest.
The Exigent's woman is an Eclipse who went into deep cover with a persona to try and investigate the cult, and she kind of accidentally got herself locked into a position where she can't willingly leave.

>>43802443
Y'know, I might just kill the mortal they saved and leave him strung up by the cult, somewhere. He's really the only mortal NPC besides the soldiers the Zenith is in charge of that all of them have met, so far, and I think the only one I set up that isn't in a position where killing them would lead to other problems.

I also might just bring in some other plots I had set up for later on, depending; the Night killed a guy and stole an airship, and he's got two angry exalts trying to find him as a result of them(A Liminal and an Exigent), and I've got a fuckload of other NPCs(I counted the other day, the total is 30, only about 5 of which they've actually interacted with in any capacity s far) that have various potential storylines attached to them.

I GUESS I could just pull one from the list and throw it to the players, and see what they do.
>>
So I am doing research for my game. We are doing a game set in the West so I am looking for detailed technical information on Sail and ship life in general. I have a large number of history books but nothing really on that specific subject.

Anybody know any good books for this sort of research? I have a few books on Island culture and am incidentally traveling to several Polynesian islands before the game starts so I will be neck deep in the shit. So really I just need the ship life side. Although if anybody has a good books on Island culture as well I would give it a look as well.
>>
>>43802655
I hear Moby Dick is more or less technically accurate. I would believe it because the parts that are not about WHITE WHALE HOLY GRAIL are boring as fuck.
>>
>>43796036
>cos who knows how they work?
The God of Magnets.
>>
>>43803429
Nah, his purview is to observe their working and submit reports on their utilization to the Bureau of Destiny.

You wanna know how they work, you ask Wayang.
>>
So, maybe it was a couple of threads ago, but we talked about the GoT Houses in relation to the Realm, Here's a funny thought about the Starks.

>House Stark is basically the majority of them as whatever Caste we thought was a good idea, a Twilight Solar (Tony) and a Jade Alchemical (Javier), the Sids are still confused by the last one.
>>
>>43783554
>dock design making little sense.
This triggers the sailor.
>>
So, is it just me, or is Face-Charming Prana + Soul-Void Kata a pretty good combat option?
>>
>>43800578
21, DB, preferentially virgin, high essence, big breasts, toned and athletic.
>>
File: 1444519092253.png (259 KB, 427x239) Image search: [Google]
1444519092253.png
259 KB, 427x239
>>43805704
>21
>DB
>virgin
>>
>>43805704
>virgin
fuck that, how is she supposed to learn sex charms that way?
>>
>>43802655
"Red Seas Under Red Skies" - Scott Lynch I recommend you read "Lies of Locke Lamora" first
"The King's Buccaneer" Raymond E. Feist
>>
>>43805733
GLORIOUS SOLAR TRAINING!
>>
>witers tell me the fun i want to have is wrong
>writers tell me the wrong i see in the game is fun
This is Ex3 and I'll be asking for a refund
>>
>>43806582
Ta ta.
>>
>>43806598
Oh, he's not leaving. He has to stick around and make sure, because he's not having fun, that nobody else does either.
>>
>>43806619
OK Holden.
>>
>>43806619
>/exg/
>>
>>43806659
Yes, that is a depressingly accurate summary of the current state of /exg/.
>>
>>43806707
Good games, good threads.
Game is a turd, figure it out.
>>
>>43806728
>Good games, good threads.
I have never seen anything indicating this is remotely true.
>>
>>43806728
What topsy turvy crazy world do you live in?
>>
File: 1447307209987.jpg (219 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447307209987.jpg
219 KB, 1280x720
>>43806728
>in bizzaro 4chan
>>
>>43806728
Genuinely want to know what these great games are.
>>
So...if you have some kind of shaping ritual that lets you gain motes reflexively, and it "counts as a shape sorcery action" when you gain motes or whatever, does that mean you can cast spells reflexively if you can pay for them with reflexively-gathered motes? I'm having some trouble understanding this thing with the "sorcerer assassins" and I really am not comfortable letting my players know they don't even need to take an action to fire some of this stuff.
>>
File: a.jpg (47 KB, 499x260) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
47 KB, 499x260
>>43803935
It makes sense to me. The water to the left is the sea, but the water to the right is the biggest river in the world. You'd probably have to protect the dock from the water flow.

I think the problem with the map is that the ragged outer edges look as if they were land, but are obviously not.
>>
>>43806834
>does that mean you can cast spells reflexively if you can pay for them with reflexively-gathered motes?
That's EXACTLY what it means. Sorcerers are scary.
>>
Nothing breaks if you make Adorei a reaper daiklave for use with Single Point, right?
>>
>>43807109
Do you reeeeeeeeeeeally need to delete opponents even faster? Really?
>>
>>43807109
You should just home brew a different, more bloodthirsty sentient blade.
>>
>>43807158
No, I just want a character in a hilariously tragic love triangle, one corner of which is a sword.
>>
>>43807222
Then drop Single Point.
>>
>>43807243
Really? Is the combination that bad?
>>
>>43807222
>No, I just want a character in a hilariously tragic love triangle, one corner of which is a sword.
So Link, Zelda and Fi then?
>>
>>43807349
Not played many Zelda games, which one is this referencing?
>>
>>43807347
No, but you just shouldn't modify things just so you can minmax more.
Homebrew a different swordwaifu, sure.
>>43807365
Skyward Sword.
>>
>>43807386
I wasn't aware it was min-maxed. I was playing a foppish samurai warrior poet, not really up to home-brewing an entire evocation tree just yet.

Can you tell me what's wrong with it?

(I'll make sure to look up Skyward Sword, though I don't have the console to play it.)
>>
File: 1444972242239.jpg (201 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1444972242239.jpg
201 KB, 800x600
>>43807438
You can play Wii games on the Dolphin emulator.

It's not really that strong a combination.

Homebrewing a new artifact is easy. Take an existing artifact as an example (Adorei in this case), refluff it, and make teeny tiny modifications to it's evocations to fit the new fluff. You don't need a whole new evocation tree.
>>
>>43807507
>It's not really that strong a combination.
Wait, what? Everyone's been telling me not to take it.
>>
>>43807555
"Everyone" on 4chan can be just 1 or 2 people.
I have not actually looked at the evocations, but it's more of a social/combat hybrid artifact.
>>
>>43807555

People are still in the mode of 2E's weapon options, where what specific weapon you had actually mattered.

In 3E it's really just "Is it Light? Okay, don't give it anything to boost Accuracy. Is it ranged and Smashing? Okay it has to have Slow or some other drawback." and that's it, pretty much.
>>
File: Roseblack maybe.jpg (365 KB, 1637x829) Image search: [Google]
Roseblack maybe.jpg
365 KB, 1637x829
>>43807614
>>43807555
Not exactly. Individuality of artifacts matters much more in 3e, just instead of different stats, it's their backstories and evocations that matter.

Taking a stock/pre-written artifacts just seems kind of boring and counter to the point of the entire system.
>>
How the fuck does Infernal going Primordial work?
>>
What's the big deal with Adorei? Is it the automatic non-charm success after a successful decisive from No Other Blade? It can't be Magnanimous Sunfire Blast, the inferior and more expensive Ferocious Jab. Presumably not the perfect attack that can't kill someone. Is it the capstone?
>>
>>43807672
Research. Lots of research, lots of sorcery, then you sit in a cocoon for a couple of months and out comes the beautiful butterfly-primordial.
>>
>>43807672

Boringly, mostly.

Whether you mean Devil-Tiger (which are emphatically not Primordials, but a super special different thing) or actually going Primordial, it basically amounts to just buying the relevant Charm-tree.

After that you need to hammer out a custom Charm-tree (for a Devil-Tiger) or just assume that the character has every [Yozi] Charm in the game (for going Primordial). Then that's it.
>>
File: DBsTrulyBestWaifus.jpg (78 KB, 760x513) Image search: [Google]
DBsTrulyBestWaifus.jpg
78 KB, 760x513
>>43805704
>>43805723
>>43805733
I dunno, I've had some DBs who were really able to 'perform' despite being virgins.
>>
>>43807686
>>43807695
Fuck, I need water, can't even think straight with this fucking dehydration.
I kind of meant more of the metaphysical process.
>>
Think anyone that heroic mortals are surprisingly strong in the third edition?
>>
>>43807895
Metaphysically, you are already infused with Primordial level Essence (the Infernal exaltation), you just modify your very soul and exaltation to be more like a Primordial. The charms are not created, they just sort of happen because you are now a Primordial-ish thing, and those charms are a natural extension of you.
>>
>>43807920
Sorcerers, yes. Everyone else, no, because no more mortal MA.

It's just that everyone else is weaker.
>>
>>43807950
Sorcerers aren't heroic mortals, they're sorcerers.
>>
>>43807967
True, unfortunately people don't really realize that.
>>
>>43807950
>weaker.

I'd say the upper bounds of what a Solar can do aren't that different (and how quickly they can reach them, since Supernal).

It's more like the "minimum bar to give a shit" has dropped significantly, which is a good thing.
>>
>>43807507

>You can play Wii games on the Dolphin emulator.

Any good emulators for the DS?

On topic, do we've any word on when the actual game will be out or how long the corrections could take?
>>
>>43808004
Mostly it's the no more Perfect Defenses.
>>43808011
No$GBA was a good one IIRC. Go to emulation general on /vg/

We don't, we just know that they're working on it.
>>
>>43807967
>>43807986
An encounter with a sorcerer should never be trivial, so it stands to reason a sorcerer should always be a heroic mortal as well.
Keep in mind that the definition of heroic mortal stems from the two previous edition, where it was used to differentiate from extra (trivial threat with only 3 health levels). Now there's no need for extras anymore, non-trivial combatants are represented with battlegroups and the game assumes that any single combatant the PCs face using the combat rules should be relevant enough to be non-trivial, thus heroic, and I think a sorcerer should qualify.
>>
>>43808444
You don't understand. Sorcerers > Heroic Mortals. They are by definition heroic like exalts are by definition heroic, it's just that sorcerers are no longer considered mortals, because any self respecting sorcerer il use Workings to upgrade themselves.
>>
>>43807386
>your fun is wronger than my fun
The dude happens to like both Shining Point and the concepts behind Adorei. Since absolutely nothing is wrong by allowing him to have fun with both I suggest you go easy on the book thumping.
>>43807555
Dude, absolutely nothing happens if you'd rather have Adorei's Evocations be on a reaper daiklave, a grand daiklave, a goremaul or a life-sized replica of your character's dick. Go for what's fun because that seems to be the point of this new edition.
>>
>>43808444
You misunderstand, Sorcerers aren't excluded from 'heroic mortal' because of they're too weak to be considered plot important, it's because they are a massive deal, beyond all but the greatest of mortals.

There are different considerations when you're dealing with someone whose skin is armour, whose foot-servants are brutal warriors summoned from hell and whose blood comes to life as writhing venomous serpents to kill whoever shed it.
>>
>>43808483
Oh, okay, that is true.
While we are on Workings, is it legit for Exalted to use Workings to boost their stats beyond 5? Would you rule it that it costed current Attributex4 just like raising it or owuld you allow it for the flat xp cost for Workings?
>>
>>43808483
Also, it is mostly semantics, because Holden really like to play on semantic, it makes him feel clever.

Mortals are mortals. Sorcerers can manipulate Essence, so they aren't mortals. Semantics. Holden will write tons and tons of texts to explain why this little tautology is profound to the setting as a whole, but really, it is simple: mortals are weak, sorcerers aren't weak, so sorcerers can't be mortals. First grade psychology.
>>
>>43808528
No, you can't do that, but you can get mutations that boost a stat, like some innate merits.
>>
>>43808528
The system really doesn't support it, I wouldn't really go there. It also warps the setting in unpleasant ways.
>>
>>43808499
Adorei, grand dongklaive
>>
>>43808673
>Short dongklaive
>>
>>43808528
>>43808572
I would allow stat boosting mutations, though if you go farther than 5, you're doing something seriously unnatural that should be reflected on your character. Strength 6 is having bursting, glowing muscles that move in strange pattern even by themselves. Appearance 6 is being so flawless that anybody can tell you're simply not natural, that you're body is too symmetric. The list goes on.

Also I would allow side effect depending on the finesse. Unless perfect finesse, this will have big side effect that will seriously threaten the life of anybody being mutated thusly.
>>
File: snek.jpg (382 KB, 1758x2346) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
382 KB, 1758x2346
>>43808723
I dislike directly Attribute boosting mutations, situational cap breakers are better and more interesting, like the innate merits, as they don't raise your charm dice caps.
>>
>>43808723

Even at perfect finesse I'd start handing out drawbacks.

At the very least I'd have it occupy some of your dicecap.
>>
>>43808528
I'd either:

Allow it to only count past 5 for specific situations, working like an Attribute Specialty or something. Also, require it to be more specific than just 'Damage' or 'Accuracy'. So, 'Pushing' would be valid for Strength, and only applies to FoS attempts to push something. This would have a flat cost.

or;

Allow it, but raising something above 5 means that something else gets reduced and the cap lowed to 4. So you get Dex to 6, but doing so warped your body in some way that functionally lowered your Strength by 1.
This would have the scaling cost, but would refund you for half the value of the lost attribute point. Maybe make the loss 2 points, to avoid encouraging people to funnel all their 'unimportant' stats into the ones they care about. Maybe make Finesse of the working interact with this.

Both would be high ambition, and probably beyond the realm of Terrestrial at least, due to how difficult it is to raise your attributes past 5 the normal way (being Ess6)
>>
>>43806747
>I have never seen anything indicating this is remotely true.
You've never been in /swg/?
>>
>>43808811
>Allow it, but raising something above 5 means that something else gets reduced and the cap lowed to 4. So you get Dex to 6, but doing so warped your body in some way that functionally lowered your Strength by 1.
Meaningless cost. Any optimiser would do it without a second's thought.
>>
>>43808811
>how difficult it is to raise your attributes past 5 the normal way (being Ess6)
>[citation needed]
>>
>>43808954
You have to live for millennia to reach Ess 6 now and devote centuries to spiritual development, and even then it's not guaranteed.
>>
>>43808811
>>43808954
>>43809014
Besides, we don't even know if Ess6+ even raises your Attribute/Ability caps now.
>>
So, /exg/, I'm a fucking moron and attempting to translate the assorted Spirits from 2e into something usable in 3e, beyond the ST just sort of saying what's happening is allowed to happen because it seems to fit within the powers of the spirit. I'm also starting with demons, because they're by for the most useful to have.

I'm currently working on the many General Spirit charms that were added with the Roll of Gods and Elementals, but since all of them key off of now non-existent Virtues, it's something of a headache. While I could go the 3e standard of 'fucking make it up dude' for each God, Ghost, and Demon, I'd rather keep them consistent between each other.

So, what I'm thinking of doing is creating something akin to exclusive Intimacies for spirits, called Domains. So, Ahlat would have the Defining Domain of 'War', allowing his charms to interact more effectively when put to use in that context.

I already know I'm crazy, but I wouldn't mind hearing /exg/'s opinion on the matter.
>>
>>43806846
Pretty sure he's talking about the docks themselves, not whatever you're talking about.
>>
>>43809014
Sounds like an awful lot of work for +1 die to your dice pool.
>>
>>43809172
Having Domain intimacies is good, but they are never just "War", they are more nuanced and unique.
>>43809234
Well, of course. You are getting cap breaking non-charm dice, of course they are hard to get.
>>
>>43809092
>it not raising Att/Ability cap
hue
>>
>>43809305
It's a new edition, we don't have the rules for high essence stuff yet, maybe we never will.

Until we do, it does not raise the caps.
>>
>>43809305
Yes, anon, it is entirely possible it won't raise the caps.
>>
File: why.gif (391 KB, 141x119) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
391 KB, 141x119
>>43809324
>>43809353
>they really believe holdemorke will have some new, game-changing idea
>>
>>43809417

No?

I don't think they'll do ANYTHING for Exalts at E6. No statboosts, no super special megaCharms, just bigger motepools, a couple upgrades mentioned in Charmtext, and that's it (and even those I wouldn't count on sticking around).
>>
File: 1446712940028.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446712940028.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>43809417
You mean besides the near-constant ridicule they've been on the receiving end? Needing to justify their positions? Not wanting to be viewed in perpetuity as a brief mistake and laughing stocks?

Those all seem like pretty good motivators to me.
>>
>>43808550

Mortals are not weak.
>>
>>43809492
Weak, eh, maybe not.
WEAKER than everyone else, yes.
>>
>>43806493

Thanks for the recommendations.
>>
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ex3 does not handle 5+ parties all fighting against an equivalent amount of threats very well? That is what i'm taking away from the system at first blush.
>>
>>43809539
Why are you setting 10+ battlegroup all against one another at the same time?
>>
>>43802655
The King's Coat, Dewey Lambdin, if you want to get really deep into it. First of...uh...19?
>>
>>43809469
>>43809469

They've been ridiculed and a laughing stock for awhile, the rest of the community was just too busy eating up the meager offerings they gave when 2e went on life support. Its pretty easy for someone to conclude its great when there is literally nothing else coming down the pipe.

Its funny how their oversight got even WORSE after moving from a shitty blog back to an actual publication.
>>
File: 1447403855992.jpg (427 KB, 730x1300) Image search: [Google]
1447403855992.jpg
427 KB, 730x1300
>>43809539
The more "characters" involved in combat, including battlegroups, the longer it takes to resolve. Nature of the beast.
>>
>>43809539

If you mean a 5 Exalt v 5 Exalt throwdown, it handles it well enough, but it's going to be a very complex battle, with a lot going down Charm-wise (even if the enemy Exalts are QCs), and range bands will become the primary confusion.
>>
>>43809551

Same reason you don't throw one big thing at a big party of PCs; they'll focus fire and gang rape it.
>>
>>43809577

I've run big battles in 1e and 2e, I just wish it could handle this stuff as well as Dungeons and Dragons Fourth Edition.

I think i'll hold off for now, the charm bloat seems massive this edition and really fiddly in a lot of places.
>>
>>43809582

Too bad? Battle groups glob together as much as possible. It's a rule exactly to avoid squeezing more actions out of the same # of soldiers. (Ironic when 2e's mass combat recommended doing exactly that, without realizing how shitty of a thing it was to do to your group/ST.)
>>
>>43809595

Big battles in 1E and 2E were easy because there was nothing TO do in a fight. It was the exact same 5 actions with no real tactic or strategy involved.

And honestly you can offload a lot of the complexity to players; gone are the days where the ST has to know exactly how expensive their players' keyword defenses are for fear of annihilating them with an innocuous-seeming Shaping attack.
>>
>>43809609

>running battle groups
>not individuals on each other and encouraging movement and terrain features as an active element

Seems like a mess.
>>
>>43808857
No? Look, just cause you hang out in some other game's hugbox doesn't mean it's the best game and everything else is shit.
>>
>>43809624

That'd require me to run things by the book, which is something I don't normally do. And frankly I pity anyone who actually built their antagonists using fucking chargen in 2e or WW's trash stat blocks, what a trainwreck that is.
>>
>>43809633
But it directly refutes your point.
>>
>>43809525

Between weak and weaker is a difference.
>>
>>43809624

You're describing most TTRPGs though. Fighter moves and full attacks, Wizard (with pre-battle buffs) flies around invisible spamming Glitterdust or empowered ray of enfeeblement/fatigue, Rogue flanks and backstabs or UMD wands, throne agent/guardsmen/spess mehruun/sister of battle shoot their variety of guns (one might actually use supressing fire! so novel!) in the exact same way and use their Reaction to dodge incoming fire or dogpiles in melee and Lightning Attacks while saving their Reaction to Dodge. Occasionally someone throws smoke grenades or actual grenades.

I'd argue I've had more varied fights in 2e than most other games besides 4e and its handful of clones. I'm just wanting to see if ex3 can do the same in a group of 5-6 players without turning into a shitty mass combat alike.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.