[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
Hello /tg/,

My players have requested that we play a game set in the Avatar: The Last Airbender universe.

Bearing in mind these are relatively inexperienced players (have only ever played D&D and not recently), which system would you recommend for this type of game? Assume we will have a mixed bender/non-bender group.

My current solution involved a homebrewed FATE Core hack, but it's bloated and not at all elegant, and I would prefer something that was more specifically suited.
>>
pls help /tg/
>>
Pathfinder has a character class called the kineticist that works very well as a bender

A few simple house-rules and you can have an avatar campaign with viable martials in addition to benders.
>>
Some friends and I did it with Savage Worlds, just tweaking one of the arcane classes to be a bending class instead. I don't remember the exact adjustments, but you can use your own judgment to get the balance you want with the number of powers they know, which specific powers they'd reasonably be limited to, and how to express those powers as bending abilities.
>>
>>43776948
There's an Apocalypse World hack for Avatar called Legend of the Elements or something. It's pretty simple while doing a pretty good job of emulating the show.
>>
5e Element Monk sounds like it'd work pretty well. You'd have to tweak when they gain abilities, maybe, but I remember thinking it would sound great for Avatar when I first read it.
>>
>>43776948
Legends of the Wulin would work very well (change the elemental wheel to four elements, assign Internals to appropriate elements as necessary; benders can cultivate Chi of their associated element and learn Internal styles associated with that element, nonbenders get nonelemental Internals (Sokka would know Jade Spirit Sword, for example)), but it's... not really the best game for people who are new to roleplaying.
>>
>>43776948
How are you doing it in fate core?
The solution I would use is to make all the bending arts skills that require a linked aspect.

In the show it is a martial skill, not magic. And if someone has a chi-blocking skill and get to create an aspect, they can disable bending.
>>
>>43777797
>Pathfinder has a character class called the kineticist that works very well as a bender

I really liked the flavour of the Kineticist, which is why I was so disappointed when it turned out to be a terrible, terrible class.
>>
>>43776948
I think FATE is a good choice. I would use a Bending skill that costs 1 Refresh and requires an aspect indicating what type of bender the character is. They could use the skill for the obvious things: attacking, creating advantages, defending (most likely against just ranged attacks, or if you really want to limit it, just attacks from the same bending type).
>>
>>43782167
I agree. It's flexible spell casting leads VERY well to bending Technics.
>>
>>43781995
It's terrible in comparison to any caster. As the only exception to an all martials campaign, it could probably be just fine. Might need a few house rules though...
>>
>>43782167
As a note though, you'll want to avoid letting your players roll+Bending for everything they do. Remember that aspects justify the narrative. A character with an aspect that says they're an Airbender can run up a wall, but this shouldn't really be an Airbending roll. The aspect just allows them to use their Athletics skill to pull off such a feat.
>>
>>43782206
it's also terrible in comparison to an NPC expert with a bow

go home bulmahn you're drunk again
>>
>>43776948
Wujen/Monk multiclass.
>>
File: kurirafanservice.jpg (89 KB, 680x928) Image search: [Google]
kurirafanservice.jpg
89 KB, 680x928
bumps
>>
>>43776948
Mutants and Masterminds 3e is pretty good, easy to get as a system. You could try it.
>>
File: Avatar World 1.3 - Rulebook.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1 B, 486x500
>>43776948
I've got this savage worlds adaptation, but haven't tested it.
>>
>>43779594

I'd say LotW is the best system for it, but it is something of an odd one. The biggest downside of the system is that the core book is extremely badly edited, making a lot of it harder to understand than it really should be.

In a way, though, LotW would actually work well for people without a lot of experience. Part of the issue I've found with introducing it to people is having trouble breaking away from the expectations learnt from other RPGs. Without that being so strong, it might be easier to get ones head around.6
>>
Legend of the Wulin fits perfectly.
PDQ Fantasy also works if you want it more ruled light.
>>
I am running an online campaign of Avatar right now, and I'm using FATE. If you have skype, please post it and I'll message you. I have some resources I can send you. I also franken-modded some martial arts styles into the game, which function as stunts.
>>
>>43786710
Alternately, if you really don't want to post your skype, you can post an e-mail, and then we can trade info.
>>
>>43786710
>>43782275
>>43782167
talking about fate; i'm currently running a dresden files rpg game -- the officially licensed fate version, and based on the way they do magic i've been cooking up a little bit of an avatar hack. if you google "mit dfrpg" you'll find the core book pdf, the chapters on using magic as they relate to aspects/attacks/etc. will probably be useful to you
>>
>>43786728
>>43786710
>>43786751
Actually, I decided I'm not worried about giving out my skype.
You can message me if you want. my name is vitamin_q
>>
>>43786856
>>43786710
skype is for sex perverts and career criminals
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.