[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the first RPG that you have played?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 14
File: dice.jpg (56 KB, 364x330) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
56 KB, 364x330
My first was the second edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
>>
>>43773154
Twilight 2013.
>>
>>43773154

Rogue Trader
>>
File: dank.png (563 KB, 905x917) Image search: [Google]
dank.png
563 KB, 905x917
Sadly I never played any tabletop RPG because absolutely no one played RPGs in 40 mile radius. I think I could pull it of online but no microphone and shit.
I am here for the meems
>>
>>43773154

Basic D&D, played without the books and with d6s because our DM's older brother wouldn't let him bring that stuff to school. This was back in the 80s during the big D&D craze, when it was on the shelves of Toys 'R' Us, the cartoon was on the air, and local department stores had D&D toys and merchandise on the shelves.
I bought me a big plastic fire elemental, and it was badass.

>>43773288

You could play a text-only game online. Some folks prefer it -- it moves slower, but tends to be more in-character than voice games.
>>
>>43773154

Red Box oD&D, back in the 1980's. Went from that to 1e AD&D, then to 2e, dropped D&D when 3e came out because of how much I hated it, went on to Cyberpunk, Champions and Paranoia, from there to indie rpgs and Ars Magica, now I just brew my own to fit whatever type of game we want to play.
>>
>>43773288
I play games by email and it's pretty great. The best rp I have ever seen. I have heard good things about play by post, but I can't find a game I want to play. Plus I'm afraid of strangers.
>>
>>43773154
D&D 4e.
I played what was basically a walking entity of edge.

I am still ashamed to this day.
>>
D&D 3.5, we played a bunch of edgelords and the game fell apart very quickly. Years later I picked up WFRP 2nd edition and now I still play it. Well, I would if I knew people in this area I recently moved to.
>>
>>43773448
>>43773599
I see. Thanks!

What is currently well accepter RPG. I have quite a lot of .pdf related tg stored around and to be honest I am not sure which to pick first.

>Exalted 2,3
>Pathfinder
>D&D 3.5,4,5 edition
>>
>>43773599
>I played what was basically a walking entity of edge.

That's actually pretty common for a first character. At least you were aware enough that you didn't play a Mary Sue.
>>
>>43773599 sorry I meant >>43773557

Nice dubs
>>
>>43773713

Just find a game that's taking players, then go from there. Most DMs will help you out, and will give you time, especially if you're actually motivated and prepared to read rulebooks and stuff.
I know I'd be happy to have players like that, as 80% of the online players I encounter can't even be bothered to show up at all. I went through SO many people who said they wanted to join but never even made a single appearance.
>>
Dragon Warrior, followed by D&D 3rd.
>>
File: Half-orcen.jpg (732 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
Half-orcen.jpg
732 KB, 848x1200
D&d 3.5 edition
>>
>>43773755
Thanks for your advice!

I became attracted to RPGs when I played Neverwinter Nights and fell in love with that kind of system. Now when I have quite a lot of time on my hands I am trying to experience the "original" experience and atmosphere the pen and paper games offer.
I see that these type of games have tight knit community and lots of interesting things to offer.

Who knows, maybe one day I will stumble upon you when I try searching for a group.
>>
Gamma World 3rd edition, shortly followed by AD&D (the first one, not 2E) and Paranoia. This would be about.... 1987.
>>
File: 1442978690881.jpg (25 KB, 855x187) Image search: [Google]
1442978690881.jpg
25 KB, 855x187
It was either AD&D or 2e. Unfortunately I've never quite been able to get them all straight. Pretty sure it was AD&D, though, because I remember that the Dungeon Master's Guide we used was the one with the great red ugly demon statue on the front with a black background, and the yellow ribbon on the corner that said "ADVANCED D&D™" on it. Our DM had inherited them from his dad, who played them when he was younger.

I rolled up a thief because they already had like, four fighters or something silly like that. We wound up raiding a tavern by flying in on ropes and kicking at people with knife-boots our first session, IIRC. The campaign was full of silly shit like that. It was pretty great.
>>
Star Wars d20, I remember it well. My meeting overran, and I received a text from the GM saying something to the effect of "if you aren't here soon your character will most likely die.". I ran like hell to get there and when I arrived? Our characters were in the middle of running like hell from a spice-spider.
>>
Deathwatch
>>
My first game was supposedly Dungeons & Dragons, but it was really a bunch of morons with a d20 and character sheets rolling to see if anything they did mattered.
>>
>>43773154

Cops and robbers.
>>
File: 1ePHB.jpg (68 KB, 609x812) Image search: [Google]
1ePHB.jpg
68 KB, 609x812
>>43774289
>great red ugly demon statue on the front with a black background, and the yellow ribbon on the corner that said "ADVANCED D&D™" on it.

That would be the 1e Player's Handbook.

>>43774397

3e with martials, huh?
>>
Runequest, with my dad, who was hardcore, a long time ago, on a long train journey. I still remember the characters, but it was god knows how long ago.
>>
>>43773154
Earthdawn. No idea what edition though
I rolled an awesome warrior Obsidiman named Stoney.
>>
>>43773154
GURPS 3e
>>
>>43774450
>That would be the 1e Player's Handbook.
Right, ok, so not 2e. But wouldn't it be more accurate to call that "AD&D," though, not "1e"? That's what we always called it, and if it was "Advanced" it wasn't literally the first edition published. It didn't have Elf as a class, I know that much, and it had fucking tons of polearms.
>>
>>43773154
Tried to cobble together D&D 3.5 as a 13 or 14 year old with nothing but the SRD from an incomplete wiki an charactersheets from 4e as well as no understanding of the DM's role whatsoever.
My very first proper game was with 16 years an the small booklet containing starter-rules for Shadowrun 4 that was lying around for free at my FLGS, but my friends weren't the sort of people for pen&paper, so it remained silent for the next few years.

Then in university i met my current group. introduced them with a german rules light game called Dungeonslayers and we quickly tried all sorts of games, from Deathwatch to Pathfinder, Shadowrun 5, UESRPG and D:tD until we settled for D&D 5e.
>>
>>43774450
How many different covers did 1E printings have? Because while I actually don't remember what our PHB cover was, it wasn't that. The DMG had that green-robed dude opening a doorway looking all smug and the MM had a red dragon puking flame and freaking pegasi.
>>
>>43774684

My condolences
>>
File: basics.jpg (164 KB, 1029x639) Image search: [Google]
basics.jpg
164 KB, 1029x639
>>43773154
First "played" = Holmes Basic D&D (I'm not sure the DM used a single actual rule during the one session we played. He just occasionally rolled a die and made up some shit--stupid shit.)

First played = Moldvay Basic D&D (Which I bought and GMed.)
>>
>>43773154
A Fallout game with Cyberpunk 2020 system
>>
never played a tabletop/p&p rpg
>>
>>43773713
See what you can find, but D&D 5e is a reasonable bet these days, because it's the newest incarnation of D&D and it's more beginner friendly than most other modern incarnations of D&D (and much, much friendly than 3.5 and Pathfinder). There are definitely more noob friendly games out there, but not with anywhere near the same level of popularity. Still, I'm going to mention Barbarians of Lemuria here, just in case you stumble across it, because it's a breeze to learn and play (many times easier than 5e).
>>
>>43773945
>Gamma World 3rd edition
Some great ideas in that. To bad it was a barely-edited mess and that 4th edition went in an entirely different direction rather than refining 3rd.
>>
File: editions of D&D graphic.png (229 KB, 911x1470) Image search: [Google]
editions of D&D graphic.png
229 KB, 911x1470
>>43774737
Original D&D didn't have elf as a class either. That was Basic D&D, which ran concurrent with AD&D (the first edition of Basic was released the same year they started putting out AD&D). But while the 1e terminology may be a bit wonky, it pretty much has to be that way to avoid confusion. Note that 3e is not the third edition of D&D made, but rather continues its numbering scheme from AD&D (while simultaneously dropping the "Advanced" bit). So 1e is 1st edition AD&D. Meanwhile 0e or just OD&D indicates the original D&D rules.
>>
File: 1e core book covers.jpg (349 KB, 1140x1000) Image search: [Google]
1e core book covers.jpg
349 KB, 1140x1000
>>43775022
I don't know how many printings there were, but they only changed the cover art on the core books once.
>>
AD&D 2e, playing a conversion of B3 - Palace of the Silver Princess.

>>43781438
>Original D&D didn't have elf as a class either.
That's not entirely true. Elves aren't strictly a class, but they are always some weird proto-Fighter/Mage thing that can use both classes abilities, but only level one per adventure.
>>
>>43781460
6th printing PHB is Jan 1980 and has the new cover.
'Revised Edition' DMG is Dec 1979 and also has the new cover, but they didn't change the description of the cover art, so it still says it's adventurers encountering an efreet.
>>
>>43781460
I have to say that I find the original covers to be more evocative and prefer them to the replacements, with the exception of the Monster Manual (which was pretty terrible to begin with). As far as I know, none of the actual in the books changed at all; they just decided to switch covers. Oh, and I should mention that there are versions with the original art, but without the yellow band in the left hand corner, and with the text moved around. I'm guessing these were early versions, as I've seen PHB and MM without the yellow band, but not the DMG (which was the last one to be released), but I'm not sure.
>>
>>43781460
Oh yeah it was the wizard doing some useless stuff that was the PHB cover. I think I'm gonna track down some 1E pdfs to read through them, for nostalgia. I made the mistake of selling them off when I upgraded to 2E. (But I did hold on to dragonlance and outer planes books.)
>>
>>43781585
Really? That's surprising as I didn't get my AD&D books until probably '83, and they were all original covers.
>>
>>43781528

I was going to say the same thing, but went to look up the rules:

>Elves can begin as either Fighting-Men or Magic-Users
>and freely switch class whenever they choose, from
>adventure to adventure, but not during the course of a
>single game. Thus, they gain the benefits of both
>classes and may use both weaponry and spells. They
>may use magic armor and still act as Magic-Users.

Race-as-class is built on the ideas of OD&D, but cleaned up and formalized.
>>
>>43781603
>none of the actual in the books changed at all
I'd guess that there were some changes. Given that my DMG says Revised Edition in the front, I think it's got folded-in errata.
>>
>>43781643
You can find them in the treasure trove in the /OSR/ thread. Not super high quality scans though, as I recall, at least for the PHB.
>>
>>43773154
1st edition Dark Heresy.

good times... so many memories.
>>
>>43781671
>Race-as-class is built on the ideas of OD&D, but cleaned up and formalized.
It's true in base-level OD&D that while the races and classes aren't officially merged, they are effectively, as dwarves and hobbits/halflings can only be fighting men, and elves can only be fighter/magic-users. Of course, once you add in the supplements, this is no longer the case.
>>
>>43781691

The trove is great, though II think the 1e PHB there has a bad page 101. At least the PDF I have does, and I'm pretty sure I got it from there.
>>
>>43781677
Huh. Okay, maybe I was wrong. I'm too lazy to go dig up my 1e books and compare them, so I'll have to take your word for it.
>>
>>43781671
Ah, I'd forgotten that they only start as one. It's kind of like Dual-Classing in 2e, but much less shit.

>>43781661
Maybe they were old stock.
>>
>>43773154
AD&D, 1st edition, 1981.
>>
>>43781691
Well that's okay, I'm just interested in seeing the old stuff again, not to play it.
>>
>>43781801
>Maybe they were old stock.
Could be. But they were in a number of different stores. I never even saw the alternate covers until years later. Maybe the old stock was regional for some reason?
>>
Huh, I wonder what's the average age of the people posting in this thread, seeing many got started in the eighties...
>>
>>43774289
>great red ugly demon statue
Ugly? That was a David Trampier masterpiece that wrapped around to the back cover.
>>
>>43781585
>6th printing PHB is Jan 1980 and has the new cover.
Are you sure that was the cover with the different art and not just with alternate text arrangement like >>43781603 vs. >>43781460?
>>
>>43781774
Check MageGuru's trove on 7ch. It's got really good scans of a lot of the TSR stuff, because it's his pet project to clean up and complete all of the scans of TSR stuff.
>>
>>43781865
It may be that grognards are more likely to post in a thread like this, because folks who started on Pathfinder don't really feel like they have a story to share. But I'm in my mid forties, which probably makes me one of the oldest people here. I usually get trumped by somebody in their 50s when age gets asked though.
>>
>>43774737
A friend of mine had his character converted from Basic D&D to AD&D.

Q: Race?
A: Elf.

Q: Class?
A: Elf.
>>
>>43781885
>Are you sure
I am holding it right now. Blue and black back, like the DMG has green and black.
>>
>>43781947
Rules Cyclopedia and some of the GAZ series have the actual official conversion methods. Elf to Elven F/M.
>>
>>43781438
Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing things up. Man, what a mess, right?
>>43781460
Yeah, these were the books we used. I remember we used to look at the Monster Manual and make fun of how stupid a lot of the illustrations looked.
>>
>>43774618
Earthdawn was also my first tabletop experience. The GM was a weird guy known as Troll. Troll stuttered a lot, had strange mannerisms, had a full-on neckbeard. He didn't do a very great job of explaining the setting, but I got the gist of things.

I played a Nethermancer. I made an ice bridge and later saved the day with the help of a bat. I was pretty pleased with myself. We never got around to a second session.

I gotta say, I generally like the fluff of Earthdawn, particularly The Passions, the different schools of magic, the idea of spells being a sort of homing beacon for Bad Things, and the way that eventually everyone utilizes magical abilities, but I dislike the system, particularly in how it nitpicks with different levels of success and has so many stats for monsters.

Any fa/tg/uys have recommendations for system adaptations? I've read there's some kind of PF conversion out there or in development, but I really dislike 3.X legacy games.
>>
>>43781879
Well, I mean the statue was ugly. It was a great big ferocious thing with a nasty expression. The subject was ugly, not the painting.

Also, the books we had were super faded. I remember looking closely at it at one point and being surprised to notice that there were two people climbing on top of it. I hadn't noticed them before.
>>
>>43782038
>Man, what a mess, right?
Really the only issue I have is one of labeling. Shit should be clearly marked, numbered or whatever so that you can easily tell which edition is which. If you're on your 8th edition, there's no excuse for you titling your product as merely "Dungeons & Dragons".
>>
File: ph-cover.jpg (96 KB, 938x600) Image search: [Google]
ph-cover.jpg
96 KB, 938x600
>>43782069
There are another five guys on the back. Hopefully, some hirelings are among them, otherwise running a session with 11 seems tough.
>>
>>43782252
Yeah, seriously.
>>43782274
Huh. I honestly don't remember that little blurb on the back, although I do remember that the illustration wrapped around.
>>
>>43781947
The Labyrinth Lord Advanced Edition Companion, which models AD&D on top of Basic's simpler core system, tries to make the AD&D options compatible with the ones from Basic. So you can have a Basic elf-class character in the same party with an AD&D elf fighter/magic-user, or whatever.
>>
>>43782303
Or you have Dave Arneson as DM, who gives no shits what edition your character is from. Makes you wonder what rules he uses.
>>
>>43781914
Thanks. Looking into that now.
>>
>>43782038
They should have hired out for the illustrations. You have a mix of Dave Trampier's solid line work with stipling, and Tom Wham, who was a cartoonist.
>>
>>43782274

Large parties were commonplace in th 70s. 10+ was not unusual.
>>
>>43782454
Honestly, I'd like to have more people in my party but for how long combat would take. I guess it was a lot more lethal back then, though, so there'd be less incentive to get involved with them.
>>
>>43773154
Star Wars Saga Edition
>>
Played a barbarian that slowly learnt how to read.
Then I got.turned into a toad by our wizard, missed out in a couple weeks due to building theatre sets for a class, came back, was still a toad, and sorta dropped afterwaeds.

Was supposed to have come back as a werebear, but the dm never got that onto the table in session.
>>
>>43773154
Does Munchkin count?
>>
>>43783918
Munchkin's not an RPG, bro
>>
>>43773154
AD&D2e.
Left after 3rd, because I hated it, and avoided anything with [genre]d20 as the title (except one babylon5 game by a superfan DM who I thought could run a game despite the system.) Mostly played WoD, Exalted, and Shadowrun.

4e came out, and I fell in love with that, so I came back to D&D

5e came out, and I gave it a fair shot, but it just doesn't run the sort of game I'm interested in running or playing.
>>
Top 10 Illustrations of 1st Edition Dungeons & Dragons:

http://fierydragon.com/dragonsbreath/?p=949
>>
>>43782471

Combat was faster back before everyone got options out the wazoo to ponder on every turn.
It also helps to have the players elect a caller.
>>
>>43784776
>It also helps to have the players elect a caller.
How does this work? Calling out initiative, or everybody else's attacks? What?
>>
AD&D 2e. Now that I have more systems under my belt it's an alright system but not amazing.
>>
>>43784806
I think the main thing is that the caller speaks for the players, which relieves the GM of much of the responsibility for keeping them in line. Or at least that's what I imagine. I can't say I have any personal experience with it.
>>
>>43784806

Like the other guy said. Players discuss their stuff among themselves, and the caller is the one who tells the DM what the party's doing. It cuts down on a lot of the DM overhead of trying to pay attention to everything the players are all saying (which gets really bad above 6 players) and means there's one guy who's been elected to say "okay, I think that's enough discussion, we're gonna do this." He's also in charge of making sure Dave is ready when his turn is up, and hasn't forgotten what his character can do, or telling Mike to put his phone away. Stuff like that.
Basically it takes the "player wrangler" task off the GM's shoulders and delegates it to one of the players. Having a caller speeds everything up a lot.
>>
>>43773154
ICONS
>>
Freeform shit with my brothers before we had any idea of PnP games. Most involved our characters having near godlike levels of strength but facing off against either immortal legions, nuclear attack, or actual gods.

First PnP was a D&D 1 shot in highschool that was full of juvenile humor and randomness. Pretty fun.
>>
File: rv-logo.gif (35 KB, 424x151) Image search: [Google]
rv-logo.gif
35 KB, 424x151
>>
>>43786090
So, AD&D 2e?
>>
Marvel Super Heroes (the FASERIP system by TSR).
I played an entire small team of super heroes. The crazy shit you come up with when you decide to randomly roll for super-powers is amazing.
>>
>>43786145
yes
>>
File: nya-mutant.jpg (74 KB, 320x402) Image search: [Google]
nya-mutant.jpg
74 KB, 320x402
Swedish cyberpunk.
That is if you don't count the homebrew we made after hearing stories about RPG's from older brothers and friends.
>>
My friend made a homebrew and needed people to test it. It worked really well for all of 2 sessions before the leveling system forced things wildly out of hand.
>>
>>43786223
Damn that looks kind of interesting. What was the setting and system like?
>>
File: 1320703050818.png (16 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
1320703050818.png
16 KB, 200x300
Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition.

Then I ran it for 2 years.

I will never play 4th ed ever again.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.