[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Dragons have horns >Demons have horns >Satyrs have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: 1441347015838.jpg (136 KB, 1024x717) Image search: [Google]
1441347015838.jpg
136 KB, 1024x717
>Dragons have horns
>Demons have horns
>Satyrs have horns
>Neither of them use their horns in combat
How do you justify this /tg/?
>>
>>43771729
Make them use horns.
>>
>>43771729
Proper grammar is "None of them use their horns in combat," not "Neither."
>>
>>43771729
>humans have teeth
>they don't use them in combat

They have better options anon.
>>
>>43771768
Humans do though. Bite wounds are really fuckin nasty
>>
It's like, you have swords attached to your head at birth, and they grow and fall of and grow again every year or so. You come to value your horns as a status symbol or a memento of your growth like a decorative heirloom or something. Would you use your decorative heirloom swords stuck to your head in battle or would you use the solid steel armor and weapons of the smiths for battle?
>>
>>43771808
Forgot to add that using your horns in a bull rush attempt kind of opens up that glaring weak spot of your skull to enemy reach.
>>
File: moose duel.jpg (160 KB, 699x524) Image search: [Google]
moose duel.jpg
160 KB, 699x524
>>43771729
Because getting your head stuck in things is generally very bad idea.
>>
>Wookies have claws
>They don't use them in combat.
Explain this /tg/!
>>
File: Mike Tyson.jpg (41 KB, 657x600) Image search: [Google]
Mike Tyson.jpg
41 KB, 657x600
>>43771768
>>humans have teeth
>>they don't use them in combat
>>
>>43771729
The easy solution is to just say that they use them for mating displays, and as such are unwilling to risk them in combat.
>>
Because they are in a position that they can't gore anyone with them, or >>43771808 and >>43771864
They can also be really fragile in comparison to the armor their would-be targets wear.
>>
>>43771729
Sexual selection or intelligent design

BOOM BITCH
>>
>>43771791
Yes, when they are fucking desperate and don't have any other choice. When they have weapons like the creatures in the OP (except dragons, but dragons have their breath attack and claws and other shit), they'll use those.
>>
>>43771758
Noted. I'm from Belgium though, so there's that.

>>43771768
Yes, but humans have a use for their teeth. They chew food. What are horns used for in nature? This pic: >>43771840
>>
>>43771862
See
>>43771902
>>
Deer don't have to worry about brain damage from ramming each others skulls at high speed.

I can imagine Satyr's using it as a surprise eyegouge though since theirs can be pretty short.
>>
File: ShySuccubus.png (246 KB, 320x640) Image search: [Google]
ShySuccubus.png
246 KB, 320x640
>Neither of them use their horns in combat

Not wholly true. A good number of demons do use their horns in combat, and Dragons and Satyrs likely use them in ritual combats.

As for beyond that, these creatures are amalgamations of different animals, and in the case of dragons and demons, they take the most fearsome aspects, with the former being a result of breeding selection and the latter being an attempt to capitalize on mortal fears. In the case of satyrs, it is the whim of the gods that made them.

And, in some cases, horns are not used for intimidation, but as a charm point.
>>
>>43771729
>How do you justify this /tg/?
They look cool, and for Satyrs, are a vestigial trait from their goat ancestors/relations/origin/whatever.
>>
>>43771906
Monkeys use their teeth as a primary attack method despite also using them to chew. Humans don't use them, because they have better options, namely weapons. Just like creatures in the OP have better options.
>>
>>43771843
I hope you realise I'm not here to force realism over fun, I'm trying to get a ball rolling

>>43771885
>>43771895
So either dragons are into sexy horns or some god thought "you know what would be cool on this creature? Useless pointy things!"
>>
>>43771955
I hope you realize you are trying to do that with a retarded premise and should try harder next time.
>>
File: Skarre.jpg (355 KB, 1630x668) Image search: [Google]
Skarre.jpg
355 KB, 1630x668
Meanwhile in Warmachine
>>
>>43771955
Oh, I'm goofing off too. Loads of silly X don't use Y things in /tg/ related media.
>>
>>43771906
To attract the opposite sex.
>>
>>43771985
>Great Rack
Kek!
>>
>>43772012
aaaand demons?
>>
>>43771729
Give them damage reduction on their heads and start making them headbutt people in the appropriate situations.
>>
When I run games....

Satyrs have a headbutt attack, where, like goats, they use their nubby horns and thick skulls to bludgeon their target.

Dragons - Younger, more impulsive dragons use their horns if they have them, often in conjunction with their bite. - Bites target, swings head to the side and impales target's buddy as a full attack option. (Usually somewhere between bite and claw damage.) Or they use them to ram with other dragons for territory.

Demons/Devils - If they have horns, and they are sizable - Hell yes they have a gore attack or can use it in place of a bite or claw. They love the terror it causes when they do it. Those with smaller horns mainly use it as an intimidating/sex factor when trying to unsettle someone. But if they are sharp, can use them as a natural attack, like a dagger.
>>
>>43772084
nice.
>>
>>43771843
You don't need claws to snap someones spine like a toothpick.
>>
Goats and sheep are surprisingly hard cunts. I once saw a video of a sheep knocking out a bull with a headbutt and another of a cow running away after he took a few to the skull because he didn't want anymore.
>>
>>43771906
humans have nails too, we grew out of the need for them, but they stayed anyway.
maybe demon's, dragon's and satyr's (goats?) ancestors had use for horns too, they evolved.
>>
>>43771985
>Great rack
Indeed.
>>
Well it's probably due to them being sexually selected for despite not actually being useful. It shouldn't need an explanation, it's pretty common in nature for something to be sexually selected for because it's useful and then to become obsolete and still be selected for.

basically; male satyrs/demons/dragons have horns because female satyrs/dragons/demons find them attractive, probably because they were used for fighting in the past and are thus masculine.
>>
>>43772046
To invoke recognizable imagery in their targets that will induce fear either directly or through association with a larger background of a religious or mythological nature.

That's assuming we're talking about "formed of the sins and malice of humanity and bent only for it's suffering" sorts of demons. Basically, if demons are the epitome of our fear and hate and such, they'll look like whatever we fear and hate. They're living symbolism, either from things we directly fear, like being gored by pointy things, or from religious symbolism and the whole goat-satan dealio to make you go "shit, that's a demon, I should be scared of it"
>>
>>43771843
In the old canon it was explained that they had a cultural taboo against using claws in combat and any who did so were seen as blood thirsty maniacs who need to be killed. (They mainly used the claws for climbing.)

Not sure what the current canon says.
>>
>>43771902
Exactly. We don't use our teeth because we have better options, the same thing goes for dragons, demons, and satyrs. Why would you use horns when you can use magic, or breath fire, or wield a weapon?
>>
>>43771729
The same reason human females have larger tits, peacocks have fabulous tailfeathers, and some lions have black manes: it attracts a mate by showing off how healthy they are.
>>
Demons use their horns to channel their innate magical abilities, in the style of unicorns. Dragons use their horns in combat, mostly when fighting other dragons over territory or a mate.
>>
Their horns haven't grown in a way fit for combat against someone without horns, usually. They're too broad, or something. Even then, charging someone with your head is very situational.

If it's viable for them, however, they fucking do it.
>>
>>43771729
>Demon horns exist because whatever foul gods made them thought it looked metal as fuck
>Dragon horns exist for mating displays
>satyr horns exist because they'll use them occasionally when they're not drunk or fucking
>>
>>43771729
Claws of the sorts you see on demons, satyrs and dragons etc are often more valuable as protection than as a weapon.

Barring that, your average horn isn't a great weapon when you can breath fire and/or wield weapons
>>
>>43771955
>some god thought "you know what would be cool on this creature? Useless pointy things!"

considering the kinds of gods that exists in the settings with these creatures, yeah that is pretty likely.
>>
File: 1441948799799.gif (624 KB, 290x231) Image search: [Google]
1441948799799.gif
624 KB, 290x231
>Play in a game with a satyr character
>She lines up for running starts to headbutt people in combat
>>
>>43771729
Well from a design perspective, horns are subconsciously threatening to humans. So from a meta standpoint that's the justification
>>
>>43774380
I can appreciate that kind of RP, like a human brawler specializing in grappling
>>
>>43772320
Actually, human nails help protect the finger/toe bones from fractures and shit. They've probably never been adapted to combat.
>>
>>43771729
They aren't horns, they're calcified antenna. They transmit and receive telepathic signals.

In the case of Satyrs their horns are constantly growing and falling off. This provides them with an indefinite supply of flute and chalice material.
>>
File: horns.jpg (62 KB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
horns.jpg
62 KB, 1200x674
>>43772699
>Demons use their horns to channel their innate magical abilities
>>
>>43774549
What's that? Horny Potter?
>>
>>43774510
You mean Los Tiburon, Shark of the Land?
>>
>>43772699
So Chrno Crusade, then?
>>
>>43774583
yes
>>
>>43774574
From a movie called Horns. Pretty good watch.
>>
>>43774574
Watch or read "Horns"
Its not a bad story
Movie is on Netflix, book is in your local bookstore
>>
>>43774549
>>43774697
>>43774715
>This is how I new world of darkness
>>
>>43771985
> Great Rack
This always gets me. And she does have both of them look impressive.
>>
>>43771729
dragon's most certainly do, they make it harder for other dragons to bite the back of it's neck.
>>
>>43771729
Make them use their goddamn horns.

A fire-breathing dragon is unlikely to be very vulnerable to another dragon's fire, and horns seem a viable option for dragon-on-dragon fights. IMAGINE THEM.

Satyrs could use them in combat as well, why you say they don't?

About demons, the thing is different. They don't abide to the laws of nature and evolution, they're just horrible and fearsome and unnatural. They have horns because horns make them bigger, scarier, and are an allegory for power, dominion, and to some sexual stuff as well.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.