[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To kill an Ork
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 9
File: Ork01.jpg (155 KB, 1600x659) Image search: [Google]
Ork01.jpg
155 KB, 1600x659
Dear /tg/, Present to me a plan how to kill a 40k unarmed and unarmored ork, with only medieval weapons avalible, discluding magic because thats fucking heretical
>>
>>43769781
Apply axe to head. Numerous times.
Apply Arrow to vital organs. Numerous times.
Stab it, slash it, puncture it, crush it. It's tough and strong, but not invulnerable. Just be sure to burn the remains to prevent spores.
>>
>>43769781
I am a 3.5e fighter. I ubercharge the ork and it explodes into spore bits at the force of my damage. Then I leave the country and wait for it to be overrun by orks. Eventually I commit suicide because I'm a fighter.
>>
>>43769788
I doubt the fungus gorilla would just sit there and take it
>>
>>43769781
The same way you kill any large animal. A group of men with spears.
>>
>>43769809

I fogot to add, by yourself only
>>
>>43769781
In 40k the average unarmed peasant kills the average unarmored ork in 6 attacks, so throw 6 peasants at it and it should die before it gets to strike.
>>
>>43769797
Don't worry, he'll be far too stunned by your monumental stupidity to do anything about it. Hell, it might kill him outright without the need for any violence.
>>
>>43769829
Do I have prep time?
>>
>>43769854
3 days 2 hours and 12 minutes
>>
>>43769854
Fuck you, Bruce, go back to Gotham.
>>
Trebuchet.

You didn't say it had to be a hand held medieval weapon.
>>
>>43769781
Flamethrower. The Greeks had em and a medieval tech level would allow for one.

Combine that with shielded footmen to corral it if needs be.
>>
>>43769911
>>43769914

Clever
>>
>>43769781
Fine. Here's the plan.

>Acquire a long sword, a bow and some arrows. Materials to lay a trap on him would be helpful. Some oil too. Take away all the paint within the region.
>Do you know where the ork is? Then lay an ambush on him. Get it to fall on a stake pit, or get hit on the chest with some spikes. Then cut his head off while he's incapacitated. Burn the body.
>Do you have to find the ork yourself? Then lay traps everywhere. In the forest, on the villages, hell, even on the road. Fuck the peasants. When you do see it, lay salvos of arrows on its head, then cut it off when you get the chance. There. Done.
>>
File: mp2.gif (59 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
mp2.gif
59 KB, 320x240
>because thats fucking heretical
>>
>>43769781
Dig a deep 10 foot by 10 foot pit, fill with spikes.

Taunt Ork into charging me.

Falls into pit.

Dies a slow and painful death.
>>
>>43769966
Do Orks starve? I thought they photosyhtesised and ate for pleasure?
>>
>>43769942
>>43769966
That could work, but some orks are more cunning than others

>>43769980
He mentioned spikes, orks still bleed
>>
File: 225805a857d3.jpg (167 KB, 527x764) Image search: [Google]
225805a857d3.jpg
167 KB, 527x764
>>43769781
Stomp it with demigryph
>>
>>43769985
Dude, some Orks have survived months with missing limbs and no medical treatment Im pretty sure. I dont think a slow bleed out will do anything to them.

If Im not mistaken, in canon they require massive sudden trauma to end them. Maybe do the pit thing then drop in a bunch of boulders/rocks?

Follow up with oil and fire too. Fuck that spore bullshit
>>
>>43769966
You can't do that. How would you get the ork to go to it? We all know that the orks don't just bleed out, and are fairly resilient by our standards. You could bait him out, just be noisy, and paint yourself blue.
>>
>>43770011
makes sense
>>
>>43769781
>Tell the king I can kill the ork single handed, but if I do, I want to be given enough gold to cover me
>Challenge it to an eating contest
>Gather as much food as the realm can provide
>Construct a special outfit with hidden pouches in which I can discreetly hide food
>hide food in pouch while ork's attention is distracted by delicious food
>when the ork seems like he is slowing down, goad him as to why
>tell him I'm ready empty my stomach and keep going
>draw dagger, cut open the pouch allowing the food to spill out
>offer dagger to ork so he can also empty his stomach
>ork cuts open it stomch, dies
>retire

>No I totally didnt steal this from irish giant-slaying folklore, go away
>>
>>43769985
Good point. OP, what are the limits we have to this? Do we have to hunt the Ork? Does he gain armor and weapons over time? Is he confined to a specific area?
>>
>>43770027
Dude an ork would do that and survive. Look up a bit in the thread, they're ridiculously tough.
>>
>>43770034
Lets say 3 scenarios
1:Confined in a roman style arena
2:Innawoods
3:Inside an abandoned war camp with scattered weapons and armor
>>
>>43770067
Arena? Im probably fucked. It'll rush me, rip off my arm and beat me to death with it unless I have some major advantages.

Innawoods? Trap time motherfucker

In a camp? Trebuchets and pots of Greek Fire. Once the entire area is ablaze, wait for it to go out and then to confirm the kill.
>>
>>43770088
Do you think straight out horse lancing the fucker trough the eye would work?
>>
>>43769781
OP the answer is easy, "hit it until it dies."
>>
>>43770116
Maybe? But then some orks have survived having half their skull blasted away in Lore so its hard to say. I think your best bet would be to gradually dismember it. A horse would be a significant balancing tool though.
>>
>>43770132
hm, are cannons considered medieval?
>>
>>43770067
Let's try the first scenario. Take note this isn't a plan, just suggestions.

Assuming that I'm in the arena, I'd like it if I was out in the open daylight. An unarmored, unarmed ork would be a manageable threat to me in a wide and open space. A couple of weapons would be useful. A sword for cutting off its head, and a spear to stab at its eyes. A bow and arrow would be of debatable usefulness.

You should get out there with a fairly light armor. There's not a lot that can reliably soften the damage an ork's fist might make. You should focus on being fast and hard to hit, trying to strike the ork where he couldn't hit you. If you are brutally cunning, get some sand bombs to blind the ork for a moment to stab at his eyes. Then you cut his head off.

Paint yourself blue. You'll be lucky. Or red, if you want to be faster.
>>
>>43770152
''Medieval'' is exceedingly broad, considering China had em even before our Medieval period I'd say yes.

Blasting it with a cannon would probably work, come to think of it. Id still say follow up with fire. Last thing you need is a whole Orkoid ecosystem 20 years later
>>
File: 1WarhammerWeapon.jpg (48 KB, 920x520) Image search: [Google]
1WarhammerWeapon.jpg
48 KB, 920x520
Get chainmail and light plate armour; most of the damage done by the Ork will be concussive, so I should get extra padding underneath it. And even if he had a weapon, I doubt it'd pass through plate armour and chainmail thus mostly just doing shock damage.

Head's going to be quite vulnerable, so will need to keep it out of harms way at any time; the rest should be relatively fine even if it gets directly punched.

Probably could use a warhammer, as long and big as possible while I could still use it. I won't strike at its head or its stomach; instead, I'll seek to strike at its limbs and incapacitate it.

I could always have some iron spikes and nails with me, and throw them infront of me while the ork charges; having an iron spike up in its foot will surely at the very least slow it down.
I could also have a dagger or two on me, if the Ork gets close, grabs me or something like that, and I need to get it off me pronto, I could just reach for the dagger and jab it into its head, eye or jaw, or go for the neck.

As I said, my aim would be to incapacitate it, not to kill it. Once I've broken enough bones, then I could just set the fucker on fire and get out.

Although, I'm highly likely to get killed. Even I wouldn't bet on this working.
I'd much prefer a trap to kill it in, but if it has to be open combat... this is what I'd do.
>>
>>43770037
So.. orks can be killed by Guardsmen in melee combat with bayonetts, but self disembowelment wouldnt phase it?

I think you need to define what kind of ork we are taking about here

Orkz as they function in 40k mechanics, or orks covered in 40K novel plot armor? What kind of ork is it? just a grunt? a nob? a wierdboy? a mechboy?

cuz if the former, this thread is pointless due to plot armor

I love Orkz anon, I have a 3000p army. but no, orkz die to disembowelment just like everyone else. Nobz on the other hand...
>>
>>43770169
Thats the thing, OP never defined it. Some Orks, even Boyz, have survived ridiculous shit in the Canon.

Its hard to say how much of that is due to the Waagh! field though and, if so, would this Ork have the Waagh! or does that require more Orks?

Also, Guardsmen killing Orks in melee is almost always an instance of ''EMPRAH PROTECTS'' in lore or a matter of balance on tabletop.
>>
>>43770169
Do Orks even have organs to remove? Arent a large part of their internal systems basically just mushrooms?
>>
>>43770159
Sand bombs would make the situation much more managable, i agree
>>43770163
Cannon, ball and naphta, foolproof plan
>>43770164
Orks dont really respond to pain like humans, he would proabably just grab you and slam you to the ground, and that is not very survivable
Allthough, there is a chance it could work
>>43770169
Somewhat of an experienced grunt, "experienced" as in, killed an ork or two before
>>
>>43770205
>>
>>43770159
I forgot, burn it when it's dead.
>>
>>43770212
Well, that's what the dagger is for; he's not the Hulk, he can't just pick me up in a moment's notice. Or can they? But anyways, I'm assuming he's gotta grab me first, and then if I'm fast enough, could jab one through his throat and windpipe.
>>
>>43770197
>Some Orks, even Boyz, have survived ridiculous shit in the Canon.

So, what is the point of this if all we are going to do is "no wouldnt work cuz plot armor"

>>43770205
Orkz eat squigz, grotz and humies. they must be digested somewhere. That somewhere is my target. Lacking knowledge on Ork anatomy, I decided the best way to kill the ork is to have the ork kill itself instead of trying to stab vitals im not even sure exist myself
>>
>>43770230
Ah. Fair enough, disembowelment might work. Depends how ''big'' an Experienced Ork is then.

As everyone knows, with Orks ''bigga is betta''
>>
>>43770234
Orks are stupidly strong in 40k, and their damage resilience is inhuman, maybe you could get him trough the throat, but you'd have to sever some nerves, wich is quite a bit of digging trough mushroom-muscle
>>
Plan
>find ork
>watch ork study it's ways
>acquire polearm
>realize I am some fucking peasant and have no chance to acquire polearm
>fashion spear out of shovel and long branch
>spear fucking sucks
>challenge ork
>spear breaks on first swing
>ork laughs as a I cry defeated
>myfamily.jpg
>ork stops laughing and notices my tears
>what's wrong anon?
>we look deeply into each other's eyes
>realize there is no reason to fight when we are this is love
>furious love making
>what was I supposed to be doing again?
>>
>>43770250
Well, about a head taller than a regular grunt, so he has "some" idea of what works and what not
>>
>>43770247
Im not saying ''no wouldnt work cuz lot armour''.

Theres a number of things that are confirmed to work, such as flamethrowers and massive blunt force trauma, as well as dismemberment. I have, myself, suggested a number of strategies that rely on those cause we know those work.

I dont know would your strategy work, it might but it might not depending on the Ork and so forth. Either way though, remember to burn the corpse. Spores are a bullshit way to lose a country.
>>
>>43770255
The point is not to kill him like that, but force him to let me go as he scrambles to get it out of his throat.

Also, even if they're heavily resistant to pain, surely a direct hit to the knee or shoulder would at the very least cause damage to their bones?

If not, well... nothing short of gunpowder will end him. And keep in mind early muskets could not even pierce plate armour, which the warhammer was created to deal with, so it'd have to be a cannon.
>>
>>43770278
That inspires me
>>43770283
Im impying it would take time for him to notice he is damaged, and yes, direct htis to vital joints should work to stop him in his tracks pain or not
>>
>>43770255
>their damage resilience is inhuman

Yet they can still be killed by Guardsmen and Tau in melee combat...

Aun'shi is a Tau hero who looks like he weighs maybe 70lbs with clothing on who kills orks with a double sided glaive

if a 70lbs greyskin with a razorblade can kill orks in single swings, they cant be much tougher than a really big dude in platemail.

plot armor works both ways in 40k
>>
>>43770279
A head taller, eh? So knowledgeable, a bit tougher but not ridiculously so.

Control and dismemberment would be vital. Trap it in a pit with an arm sized tunnel in one wall, with a guillotine set up in such a way that the orks arm gets amputated once it shoves its arm down the hole. Then crush and burn the main body. Dip up the arm.

Now I have the Ork dead and a trophy of my conquest so the king or whoever hired me to do this can't dispute that I killed the fuck.
>>
>>43770027
>No, you stole it from scandinavian troll-slaying folklore.
>>
>>43770299
Well, then it heavily depends on what exactly goes on.The dagger in the eye or throat could buy me time to recover after I get smashed, hopefully not on the head, and the padding may just save my life. The spike up its foot may buy some more time. And I may recover fast enough to hit it with a warhammer through the knee, and the other one, throwing out its bones horribly pretty much incapacitating it there and then.

But it's all a "maybe", and the odds are not in my favor. As I said in my first post, I'd much prefer a trap... which I see other anons have already suggested.
>>
>>43769781
Dig a deep hole, fill it with spikes and cover it with foliage. Then lure him into it and throw large rocks at his skewered body until he's either dead or buried. Alternatively, shoot him with a ballista.

Engaging a specialized killing machine in personal combat is a shit idea and would only get me killed.
>>
>>43770323
what is the difference?
>>
>>43770302
Fuck the tau, they are a mistake
>>43770315
Funny how killing big things is universal to humans worldwide, trap it in pit and crush it with stones
>>
>>43770341
It is the simplest solution.

If there was still tarpits that I was aware of, Id say use one of them. You can set them on fire, if Im not mistaken, and the tar would slow the Ork enough that Id have time to ignite the tar.

Actually, that brings up a good thought. The hard part in most trap based strategies is to get the fucker to spring it and survive. How best would one go about that?
>>
>>43770330
Scandinavians are blonde drunks, irish are redhead drunks, both apparently use porridge to fight beasts.
>>
Humans have killed Orks with fucking combat knives before, just hit him in the face and throat with a spear or a sword.
This is obviously a lot easier if you have at least one other dude but hey
>>
>>43770327
Sometimes you just gotta cross your fingers and hope for the best, maybe Khorne will favor you for taking up such a challenge

>>43770329
You had me at Ballista
>>
>>43770341
Show me on the doll where the mean Tau touched you
>>
>>43770364
Do you have a Space Marine doll? This one doesn't have 2 hearts...
>>
>>43770355
Tarpit would be the perfect anti-ork strategy

>>43770357
Thats a case of army vs army, here we talk 1 v 1
>>
>>43770364
The spot with the huge hole in it
>>
>>43770361
Fuck me, now I wanna roleplay my mercenary fighter guy taking on a 40k Ork.

Blood for the Blood God.
>>
>>43770302
Most weapons in 40k are heads and shoulders above medieval weaponry though. Even your regular bayonet has better craftsmanship, steel and edge than anything you could find in peasantland.
>>
>>43770391
Skulls for the Skull thorne
>>
Dont mind me guys, Im just an unarmored Tau standing on the mound of dead orkz Ive killed with my feudal style weapon
>>
>>43770453
Feudal style, monomolecularly edged weapon. Biiiiig difference.

Also, no guarantee he killed them. Also, isn't that just 2, not a mound?
>>
>>43770418
"A Honour Blade is a weapon carried by Tau Ethereals and Ethereal Guards for a number of uses.[1][2] It's mainly used as a symbols of their office, ceremonial weapons, and in self-defence. While each weapon is custom-made, they all feature a broad blade fitted to a long, lightweight metallic staff"

Yup, metal blade fitted to a lightweight metal staff. no way anyone could have made this in feudal times, nope ur right I guess I'll go home
>>
>>43770453
This is why i converted to chaos
>>
>>43770453
Fuck the Tau, man.
>>
>>43770453
Ethereals are superhuman as astartes and eldar, they are not regular tau with slow reaction and reflexes.
>>
>>43770471
Ah yes, because Medieval Humans could have the same metallurgy as Tau, whose metallurgy the Imperium can't even reproduce.
>>
>>43770463
>monomolecularly edged weapon

Source?

Honor blades are not designed for combat, they are ceremonial symbols of office. Yet they can still fuck up an ork

Ur butthurt level are pretty amusing tho
>>
>>43770483
yes its the metalurgy that kills the ork, not the pointy bit! how could i have been so blind?!

guys, stop digging pits and gathering rocks. we need alien metalurgy to defeat this lone ork!
>>
>>43770485
Not butthurt really. Just pointing out something.

Even if we take it that they aren't monomolecular (like pretty much every 40k weapon), Tau metallurgy is miles beyond the Imperiums and they use stuff that likely isn't present on earth. I doubt Medieval Humans could recreate that.

Bear in mind, I give no fucks about Tau. I dont play, I just read ass loads of lore. Im just dubious as to how this applies to Medieval Humans
>>
>>43770483
>>43770503

Ignore the troll, Anon. We get where you're coming from.

Sharper blade = more cutty = more dead orks.
>>
>>43770503
You realise metallurgy is vital to making an effective blade, right? A shitty blade would probably get stuck in the ork, or break off its bones, not cleave through as that seems to have done.

Read up on weapons and weaponsmithing and then think about this a bit harder
>>
>>43770521
it does not matter how well is it sharpened, as long as it can pierce ork skin and vitals it should do the job

the problem is getting the pointy bit to reach the ork in the first place
>>
File: 1426009997742.jpg (106 KB, 615x437) Image search: [Google]
1426009997742.jpg
106 KB, 615x437
>Shas'el, all this salt feels so good on my grey skin
>>
>>43770521
Good point man. Tunnel vision is a hell of a thing.
>>
>>43770534

Bone.

I could imagine with the density of Ork muscle, skin and bone - as well as their general resilience, being able to cut through all that with a sharp blade would make killing them a lot easier than getting your blade caught on bone.
>>
>>43770543
If Tau are greyskins, why the fuck is that motherfucker blue?
>>
>>43770549

Tau women don't put out.
>>
>>43770547
Makes sense
>>43770549
He painted himself so his shots would be luckier
>>
>>43770556
Is that why they're all so willing to die for the Greater Good?
>>
>>43769781

A crossbow should give him pause.
>>
>>43770016
>how would you get the ork to go to it?

Just call him squig dung and bingo. He did say 'taunt the ork'. And with regards to bleeding out, a 10 ft drop onto spikes would do some serious damage to something that heavy. If not, just bury it alive.
>>
>>43770532

yes thank you anon for enlightening me. I mean its not like folk in the mideival ages were able to make things like carbon nanotubes in their demascus steel swords.

So what about rocks anon?

Say i wanted to kill an ork with a rock, would i first have to read up and study geology to know the correct composition and type of stone to effectively kill an ork. Will granite do? Slate? Should I avoid sedementary or ignus based stones?

Or I could take the stick out of your ass for you and beat the ork to death with that, it is certainly big enough
>>
>>43770596
Read the OP dude. Its Medieval Weapons available, not ''hurr durr space weapons cause I like em''
>>
>>43770583
Depends on its power
>>
>>43770230
>orkus negra

Haha, oh wow.
>>
What is the weight of a average 40k ork?
>>
>>43769781
Basic damage. Lots of it. Orks don't regenerate or heal super fast, they're just slightly harder to kill than a normal human.
So a few guys with axes, swords and spears, archers or crossbowmen, they work together and kill the one orc. And then a sage comes by, declares the corpse unholy and requires it be purged, performs a ritual, pours oil on the body and lights it on fire.
>>
>>43770618
about 200 kg for small grunt i estimate,
for the wone we are dealing it, it would be 250-350 range
>>
>>43770596
>>Damascus Steel Swords
>>Fuckwit not only misspells the name, but seems to ignore the fact that said swords were extremely rare and that modern day metallurgists still have no fucking clue how it was managed.
>>
OP, you are greatly overestimating Ork biology. They can still feel pain and they still have a few vital organs.
>avoid his first strike
>kick him in the leg
>Ork yells or something stupidly Orkish like that
>slash his throat
>avoid his next attack, because it will take a few moments for him to realize he is actually dead
>burn the body
Oversimplified, but it still works.

>>43770483
>whose metallurgy the Imperium can't even reproduce
Bullshit.
>>
>>43770642
Nah, the metallurgy thing is confirmed. They have some structural bullshit the Imperium doesn't understand.

Bear in mind though, this is 40k Imperium, not 30k. 30k probably could have, not any more though
>>
>>43770596

Dude, bringing up Damascus Steel as a standard for medieval weapons is like bringing up Desert Eagles as a standard for pistols.

>>I mean its not like folk in the mideival ages were able to make things like carbon nanotubes in their demascus steel swords.

Shit, didn't humanity lose the knowledge on how to make Damascus steel?

You're talking about a technique that was fluked upon, used for a while and then forgotten because the knowledge wasn't spread and then saying 'OH HEY, WE CAN ALL DO THAT'.

Tell me Anon, can you petrify human flesh like Girolamo Segato? I mean, c'mon - an 18th century guy could do it, so surely it's a relevant standard right?
>>
>>43770642
Uderestimating your opponent would not be smart
what if he is one of the cunning types?

What if he does not yell, or that the kick to the leg is not enough, or that a slashed throat will not kill him?

Orks where decapitiated and then stitched back to their body and survived.

You underestimated the ork, and that got you killed
>>
>>43770691

Shouldn't you let him roll for it, first?
>>
Assuming you have enough time to prepare and are in decent enough shape I'd say it's entirely possible to do. All you need is traps to either incapacitate or do enough damage then you can bash its skull in with a hammer and set the whole county on fire.
>>
>>43770712
If im feeling mercifull
>>
>>43770691
It's not about underestimating an Ork, you are overestimating their biology.
Orks don't survive slashed throats, decapitations, caved in skulls, massive trauma to the body,...

>Orks where decapitiated and then stitched back to their body and survived.
That's not surviving, that's a Mad Dokk stitching shit together and the Ork being "reborn" with WAAAGH fuckery. And there are stories that Orks can "come back from being dead", but that only happens when you don't burn the bodies. And it's not instantaneous, so it doesn't matter in a fight.
>>
>>43770610
>>43770610
FUCK! I forgot that rocks were high tech space weapons, sorry anon
>>
>>43770691

Wait, so this lone, unarmed, unarmed ork has access to skilled orkish medical professionals who can sew his head back on?
>>
>>43770740

Then what's the point?

You ask a question, people come up with decent ideas and you just tell them it won't work, finding any flaw and expanding on it like you're expecting a perfect answer.

There is no perfect answer, Anon. Don't play with our feelings like this. Some of these plans will probably work.

Otherwise what is the point of this thread? Just an excuse for you to wank to your imaginary power to carte blanche say a plan won't work like some imaginary expert on an imaginary situation with an imaginary creature?
>>
>>43769841
>orc
>surprised by stupidity
Son he invented that game.
>>
>>43770767
You are a special little boy arent you?
>>
>>43770761
Ghazgull Marg Uruk Thraka got a bolter to the head and had to hold his brain from spilling, and he survived the trip to the doctor, so i dont see how an ork can survive a slashed throat long enough to squash his attacker

>>43770780
I was implying he could survive a slashed thorat long enough to kill his opponent before expiring

>>43770782
That was a joke
>>
>>43770782
The point is so anon can sit smugly telling people "no you are dumb and that wouldnt work cuz plot armor"

anon is one of those DM who kills players for chooseing the door on the left instead of the door on the right, shugs, and says "well it was fair, I gave you a 50% chance, you just chose wrong"

in short, anon is a neckbeard
>>
>>43770826

>>That was a joke

>>I was implying he could survive a slashed thorat long enough to kill his opponent before expiring

>>Ghazgull Marg Uruk Thraka got a bolter to the head and had to hold his brain from spilling, and he survived the trip to the doctor, so i dont see how an ork can survive a slashed throat long enough to squash his attacker

Do you even read what you write?

Additionally - humans have survived having pipes and holes blown through their skulls. Doesn't mean it's the norm.
>>
>>43770826
>regular ork toughness = warboss toughness

i dont think you know how orkz work anon...
>>
>>43770834
>>43770836
My bad, i apologise
>>
>>43770854
>>Apologizing on 4chan.

Does your failure know no bounds?
>>
>>43770826
And people have survived with a whole axe in their brain. And Ghaz is a Warboss chosen from Gork and Mork so he is special anyway.

>so i dont see how an ork can survive a slashed throat long enough to squash his attacker
>I was implying he could survive a slashed thorat long enough to kill his opponent before expiring
Conflicting points. And I already covered that in my original point
>avoid his next attack, because it will take a few moments for him to realize he is actually dead

Killing an Ork on paper is easy. Do whatever would kill a human, just do it slightly more.
>>
>>43770871
Im still learning, so mistakes will be made
>>
>>43770880
>Killing an Ork on paper is easy. Do whatever would kill a human, just do it slightly more.
b-but.... muh plot armor...
>>
>>43770889
If Orks surviving shit is Plot Armour, shouldn't most instances of such shit be ignored?

All of a sudden most armies are waaaay down in power. Would the Imperial Guard lose much power?
>>
>>43769781
1. Dig large hole
2. Hide hole with sticks and leaves or some shit
3. Lure ork into hole.
4. Full hole with boiling oil.
5. Gloat about soloing an ork with nothing but a shovel and some oil.
>>
>>43770880
i made a typo, typed can instead of can't

and maybe i do overestimate orks
>>
>>43770914

Of course. Ever read Gaunt's Ghosts?
>>
>>43770914
In 40k, all races/armies have an equal level of plot armor so plot armor's effects in the 40k universe are negligible

I am merely satirically parroting the mantra of the grognards of the thread who cant see past the plot armor
>>
>>43770804
I too also get overly salty when arguing the finer, unsupported nuances of fictional characters
>>
>>43770933
No, actually. Read some lore from it though I think. That the one with the Commissar that shouts ''Come on Bitches! Do you want to live forever?!'' before charging an enemy line?
>>
>>43769781
Stick a sharp object in it.
Guardsmen can kill Orks with bayonets.
>>
>>43770991

That's the one.

Great stories, but there is a lot of plot armour. A human scout out-stealthing a Dark Eldar ninja-assassin springs to mind.

And one-shotting a dreadnaught with a lasgun.
>>
>>43771006
I think that was allready discussed earlier in the thread
>>
>>43770962
Aaah, sorry. Fair enough.
>>
>>43771006
apparently, according to the thread, the metallurgy of the bayonets means that guardsmen can kill orks. regualr sharp object wont cut it apparently.

/tg/ has decided that you need a monomolecularly shapened stick to beat an ork
>>
>>43770990
You're confusing saltiness with confusion dude. I dont understand the point of your contributions, how they affect the wider discussion or even why you fucking made them.

As for unsupported, a lot of GW work is heavily supported, just in scattered means. I mean, theres an assload of books and codexes. You can probably find support for anything if you look hard enough
>>
>>43771062
>>swineherder

No, the people in this thread have said having a sharper blade is better than having a dull one, you troglodyte.
>>
>>43771062
Not really. A regular, modern blade would probably do the job, just take a lot longer and good look surviving in melee range against an ork for long enough.

We are talking about the species that holds face-eating contests for fun. And its meant to be one of the more experienced members of said species, though still a grunt in size.
>>
>>43770463
>no guarantee he killed them

Aun'shi has killed groups of Orks in his first story and he was able to fight a three Dark Eldar beastmasters and their pets to a standtill.

He did kill them.
>>
>>43770596
lol fuck these guys man, I laughed
>>
>>43771083
https://youtu.be/0vgIB8tvcz8
Just use bigger sword.
>>
>>43771102
>>43770596

Samefag
>>
>>43771079
people in this thread have also said that feudal steel swords cant kill orkz, that orkz can easily survive throat slitting, decapitations and dismbowelment and that Aun'shi didnt kill any orkz

not sure how anyone is taking any of this seriously at this point. but was nice of you to contribute your pillar of salt to the conversation
>>
>>43771094
Huh. Fair enough. Whats his trick, out of curiosity? Im thinking of running a character based around combat similar to how Honour Blades are apparently meant to work and a bit of flavour is always nice
>>
>>43771106
Holy fuck.

Funnily enough, that might work. Thats an orky as fuck weapon, the Orks belief in its damaging potential might make it better...
>>
>>43771019
How bad of plot armour are we talking here? Is it wankery or is it ''he got really lucky and it benefits the story'' sorta stuff?
>>
>>43771149

And anons have called them on their bullshit. Just like you're getting called on yours.
>>
>>43771184

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Awesome/GauntsGhosts

Your call.
>>
>>43771172
>It was too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed, it was a heap of raw iron.
>>
>>43771153
From the looks out it, Buddhist combat/kung-fo training all his life. Aun'shi, unlike other ethereals, spends his time with the Fire Caste and trains with them. He trained his mind and body to peek (Tau) performance. Now he is the best swordmaster in the Tau Empire followed only by Farsight.
>>
>>43771190
and what bullshit specifically would that be?

The bullshit where i ignored plot armor or the bullshit where I said orkz could be killed by blunt force trauma

I am merely here to feed on the salt. it sustains me
>>
>>43769809

*chase it off a cliff

We ran so many mammoths off cliffs we wiped out a species
>>
>>43770630
Ok thanks
Used some phoenix command rules (not actually rules, but some guy made some math and found how the rules would work if existed).
and found this:

for ork:
PEN factor = 0.603409
DC factor = 0.819749

>what this means?

Hitting an ork with a
m1 carabine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_carbine
with Full metal jacket bullet on a distance of 140 yards

would be equivalent of hitting an human
with a
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1894
on a distance of 80 yards with a Lead Hollow Point bullet
>>
>>43771232
Huh. Fair enough
>>
>>43771256
fucking finally someone with something interesting to say
>>
>>43771184
The second one.
Tanith make great scouts, because their planet has forests that move so they develop keener senses because of that. And the scout was the best scout in the regiment. And the Mandrake got cocky and played with him, which led to the Guardsman killing it.
>>
>>43771211
Jesus. Thats....huh. Some of that is pretty extreme even by 40k standards.

Seems worth a read though
>>
>>43770889
>Killing an Ork on paper is easy. Do whatever would kill a human, just do it slightly more.
>b-but.... muh plot armor...
WUT?
>>
>>43771256
Wow, now that's some interesting stuff
>>
Does nobody remember Warhammer Fantasy? I mean for fucks sake.
>>
>>43771256
MORE:
PS: forgot to add some important fact. To those who dont know phoenix command is this ultra realistic rpg made by lliterally (since apperently literal doenst mean only literal nowadays and you are autistic if you think so, fucking language) literal rocket scientist

ALSO forgot to add:
Pen is used to check if the it will penetrate the armor (or body since pen is reduced or increased for people with more or less weight) and to see if you will do penetrating damage, your dc will change to 1 or you will receive blunt trauma

dc is used to find the damage you will give to target
actually pen is also used to find damage, if you penetrate enought
>>
>>43771624
Aren't they entirely different? Orcs vs Orks (formerly Space Orcs to differentiate the 2)
>>
>>43771633
>>43771256
Forgot some important part.

This thread is about melee

Phoenix command has a melee game, but that instead of DC and PEN
it use stabbing ID (damage when stabbing motion) cutting ID
AC (armor class when not receiving a flanged and or blunt damage) and
BPF for flange and blunt damage.
Those influence the final damage and the minimum amount of damage needed to be done to actually do some damage.

Anyway animals BPF and AC compared with armored humans (the armor "human would be using" depends on animal).

Anyway tell me wich one of those animals skin would be close to ork one and I tell the armored human he would be compared with,
baboon
gorilla
aligator
rhino
water buffalo
elephant
elk
bull
boar
black bear
grizzly bear
polar bear
kodiak bear
eagle
falcon
donkey
mule
triceratops
allosaurus
tyraronauros
dolphin
warhorse
>>
>>43771804
I think boar, in the case of the 200kg grunt.
>>
>>43769781
A really big bomb.
>>
>>43771753
No, the only differences are technological (which doesn't apply if the ork is unarmed) and cultural. But even then, there are feral orks, which probably been beaten by native feudal or feral worlders.
>>
>>43771863
So wait, FB Orks have the whole ''part fungus bullshit'' thing too?
>>
>>43771879
Yes.
>>
>>43771922
Well fuck. Yeah, ok, fair enough. Medieval weaponry might give ya a fighting chance. How does the Empire counter Orcs? Hordes?
>>
>>43771954
Magic. Line fighting. Judicious hammering.
Often orcs are handled by someone else, like the Dwarves they are in perpetual war with.
The Greenskin occupy the large wastelands of the Badlands, fighting between themselves.
>>
>>43771954
>How does the Empire counter Orcs?

Discipline.
A man is perfectly capable of defeating an Orc in one on one combat.
>>
>>43770197
>Some Orks, even Boyz, have survived ridiculous shit in the Canon.

And some people have survived ridiculous shit in real life. Does the fact that Phineas Gage survived a railroad spike through the head mean that shoving a spike through someone's skull isn't a reliable way to kill them?
>>
File: 17wh5s29lgidnjpg.jpg (103 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
17wh5s29lgidnjpg.jpg
103 KB, 640x360
>>43770691

Granted orks are definitely more durable than average humans but surviving removal of the head has to be an extreme outlier.
>>
>>43771954
>How does the Empire counter Orcs?
Halberd pike walls, canons and knights. The Brets just declare a crusade against them.
>>
>>43772019
>but surviving removal of the head has to be an extreme outlier.
We're already getting there.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/292306.php
>>
>>43772010
>>43772000
>>43772020
These are all pretty good responses. Not really applicable one on one though.

They rely on either not man-portable tools, magic or numbers. The suggested scenario doesn't really allow for them.

Cannons or guns might win it for ya but if they fucker avoids getting hit yer kinda fuckered realistically. Theres few people can go toe to toe with an Ork bar some ultra rare motherfuckers.
>>
>>43772017
Not exactly but thats not a reasonable comparison.

Think of it more like this; Imagine a group in seclusion whom had, in many recorded instances, survived axe blows to the skull.
Does this mean all of the species this group is representative of can do so? No, but it also means we can't infer that that is a reliable way of ending them.

Ultimately, the Lore representations of Orks are, in many cases, so bullshit that very little can be counted on to kill them.

Crush and burn is the only thing I can think of.
>>
>>43772093
On the other hand, they can kill each other VERY reliably and seldom use ways more convoluted than their opponents might.
>>
>>43771825
>>43771804
Based on that info
An ork would be equivalent of a:
Human with a current era light flexible amor
>>
>>43772059
>These are all pretty good responses. Not really applicable one on one though.

But it is.

>They rely on either not man-portable tools

Weapons, yes. But Orcs have those too.

>magic

Mages weren't super abundant, so they couldn't rely on them to beat all the Orcs.

>or numbers

Orcs were usually the ones with a numerical advantage.

>The suggested scenario doesn't really allow for them.

How does it not? The scenario is a naked Ork vs an unknown amount of men with medieval weapons.

Given a man with medieval weapons can kill an Orc with medieval weapons, a gang of men with medieval weapons could kill an Orc with nothing.
>>
>>43772106
Yeah, I never really got how that works. I assume they probably go for the ol' ''hack and crush till it stops moving'' route.

It'd be viable for a human too but good-fucking-luck lasting long enough in melee range against an Ork unless yer armed and armoured like a motherfucker
>>
>>43772130
I apologise, I assumed the thread was based on the premise that it was a 1 on 1 fight. Otherwise...I mean, its not even a question. You just need to burn the corpse afterwards. A group of medieval level people could make mince-meat of an Ork.

To be fair, cannons arent really man-portable and thats what I was referring to specifically
>>
>>43769781
Fungal cream
>>
>>43772138
Orcs are armed and armored like motherfuckers at times, sometimes it is their schtick.
But this doesn't make them automatically superior in the event of an all-out mêlée. Shit happens, bodyparts fail and flail.

And orcs aren't immortal. They rely on will of force, their own magic and bodily functions.
Anyone can kill a fungus, they bruise pretty easily too.
>>
>>43772182
Well yeah but a peasant with an axe is gonna need a lot of luck to stop an Ork.

You do have a point, it is possible for an individual to win out but, barring luck, they dont have a great chance. Bear in mind, this orc has one on one experience apparently and Orcs are meant to be built for fighting. They arent unstoppable but they are tough as nails and instinctively brutal fighters, as well as being larger and stronger than most humans. And they outreach us on average I think.

Long story short, you dont want to be close to one. Wear some padded gear and a helmet and use a halberd or something. Have allies if you want to be sure
>>
>>43769781
I make him fall madly in love with me, then dump him in a way that devastates him the most. He'll commit suicide.
>>
>>43772108
>>43771256

also while doing the melee equivalent, I saw I did the dc factor and pen factor wrong

PEN factor = 0.896457
DC factor = 0.982249
Hitting a ork with a 280 hemington at a distance of 400 yards with a Jacketed hollow point bullet

Hitting a human with a
375 winchester with Jacketed, Soft Point bullets at a distance 140 yard hexes
9 pen human to 8 orc
>>
>>43772229
You're absolutely right. I was just hoping to refute the idea of orcs being invariably difficult to finish.
But even if that were the case, they can be disabled through convenient means. Though the orc will object to it.
>>
>>43770884
The name gives it away
>>
>>43772420
To be honest, with regards Orks the main issue I see isn't even that theyre tough or the likes as I listed, though that would make it harder.

The fuckers by and large just dont seem to get scared except in exceptional circumstances.

By comparison, the average peasant or such would piss themselves upon being told to fight something the size of an orc, even if they were told they'd get weapons and armour. But if you get a dude that can overcome their fear, keep a cool head and make some good weapon choices, its entirely possible to best one.
>>
>>43769781
Just get a poleaxe and krump it.

Reminds that Imperial Guardsmen kill Orks in melee just fine. Orks Boys are not Space Marines, in strength they're comparable to an angry Gorilla.
>>
>>43769781
the same way they kill them in Warhammer Fantasy, obviously.
>>
>>43772747
*reminder
>>
>>43770247
It's not plot armor, Orks simply are stupidly hard to kill. They can survive having their skull split and brain almost chopped in two, their guts vaporized, and getting shot with high caliber autoguns.
>>
>>43772775
Orcs in Warhammer Fantasy are completely different from Orks. Most notably they're weaker and reproduce sexually.
>>
you'd probably need 4-5 men to reliably kill it with low casualties but any sort of reach weapon will do, poleaxe, halberd, voulge, assuming reasonable user skill. it's basically a boar. likewise, bow, crossbow, etc will kill it if you have large numbers of them. i'd say 10 or so to up the chances of a headshot before it gets close. getting shot in the chest, unless we're really talking saturation fire probably will not do that much.
>>
>>43772839
I think the writers are more willing to admit that the average Orc is pretty tough, but hardly immortal. The Warbosses can be more obnoxiously tough, although they also don't get as big as 40k ones either. They are still frighteningly tough and strong, although suffer from being slower and less skilled than top tier Chaos Champions, Vampire Counts, and Elves. Although they will probably be tougher than the Elf.

Meanwhile, Goblin Bosses and Big Bosses, while not as tough or strong are surprisingly capable for the price they come at, and get to have a full equipment list and magic items. They are nasty pound for pound, and are tougher in comparison to something like Chosen Chaos Warriors than you would expect, especially since they get to pack magic items and have decent stats for their size.

Someone that did not fully account for how destructive a tiny warband/bodyguard of those guys could be would possibly get punched in the mouth pretty hard, especially if they had something like Imperial Troops, or Marauders, although they could possibly tear a big chunk out of Warriors too.
>>
>>43772920
What the Empire does probably makes sense, really. You use weapons likely to disable or kill them, and plenty of them. You also make sure you are locally superior, as you said. Mostly possible if you manage to concentrate enough force in one area on an open field (has to happen fast enough, or the Orcs overrun the "good fighting") or you get them to crowd into a chokepoint.

The favored weapons are generally Halberds, and Handguns, although capitalizing on the relative efficiency and superior skill of Imperial weapons crews versus Orc and Goblin ones if they are present is also highly favored. Even an Orc isn't tough enough to not care about a Cannonball. Hell, a lot of the nasty things the Warbosses ride can't, really, and those are way bigger than an Orc Warrior.
>>
>>43771825
>>43771804
Based on that info
An ork would be equivalent of a:
Human with a current era light flexible amor when someone hit them with a blunt or flanged weapon
or
human with no armor when someone hit them with cutting armor
>>
>>43773162
for a 200 kg one

>>43772108
for 350kg one (assuming the previous answer is also boar)
>>
>>43772839
Since when? Strip away their gear, and a WHFB orc is fundamentally identical to a 40k ork.
>>
>>43769781
Are you running a semi-fantasy campaign in a medieval world in the Imperium? Because that would be rad.

Until Tyranids or armed Orks get to it, of course.
>>
>>43772839
>and reproduce sexually
Since 8th edition they reproduce by spores like 40k. Read core rulebook.
>>
>>43770255
>Most notably they're weaker
Bullshit. T4 is T4.
>>
>>43769788
>Just be sure to burn the remains to prevent spores.
Every living moment the ork has already spread its spores. Burning does nothing but provide more hot air for the spores to carry further.
>>
>>43770356
Daily reminder that Dublin started as a slave camp run by vikings.
>>
File: 1446429699318.jpg (82 KB, 460x645) Image search: [Google]
1446429699318.jpg
82 KB, 460x645
>>43770596
Did you get sleeves in your soup anon?
>>
>>43769781

WHFB guys did it all the time, man. And that was against armed and armored orcs.
>>
>>43779387
WHFB guys also could grow beards like like no one can.
Basically the entire Old World was filled with hyper manly Gaston types.
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.