[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>playing new dnd campaign >ADND if it matters >everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: sword.gif (1 MB, 228x152) Image search: [Google]
sword.gif
1 MB, 228x152
>playing new dnd campaign
>ADND if it matters
>everyone lvl2, everyone basically just met
>evil rogue, neutral wizard, good ranger and good priest go into room
>find dwarf chained to concrete slab
>dwarf is flipping out, growling/grumbling, has no pupils/irises, looks clammy/grey skin
>ranger attempts to communicate, no change in dwarf behavior
>ranger asks party basically 'wat do?'
>rogue takes out dagger and slits dwarf throat, now just making gurgling noises but more or less silent
>everyone all 'wtf'?
>dwarf does not bleed, continues to thrash unphased
>wizard says basically 'its not bleeding, its pointlessly angry, feels no pain, has just blank white eyes... i think this thing may be undead or something maybe? i think ive heard of this....'
>group generally says well what do about it?
>wizard suggest put it out of its misery?
>ranger says 'that seems like a noble action, plus we dont want it bringing unwanted attention.' parts dwarf head from body

did the ranger commit an act not in line with the 'good' alignment?
>>
>>43767494
this happens down in a dungeon with no (nearby or yet known) exit and everyone is pretty fucked up, for the record.
>>
Fuck no, it was obviously undead, and also, who cares? Alignment is the worst part of D&D, and that's saying something.
>>
>>43767494
Seems reasonable, given the circumstances.
>>
Ive burned villages down for less.
>>
File: carriage_by_ishutani-d5p9eln.jpg (84 KB, 852x938) Image search: [Google]
carriage_by_ishutani-d5p9eln.jpg
84 KB, 852x938
>>43767592
This
>>
>>43767592
>>43767677
lol somehow i feel like burning down a whole village might not be something a 'good guy' would do
>>
>>43767701
what if they were evil?
>>
>>43767701
You'd be surprised, sometimes things just get out of hand.
>>
>>43767730
>they
you mean, the guys i responded to? if the point was to discern if the ranger (who has to be a good boy) committed an evil or neutral act, i dunno why people playing non-good characters would weigh in with what they would do...
>>
>>43767749
>>43767730
im trying to get opinions on whether or not the ranger in the OP story did something that would cause him to move toward changing alignment
>>
>>43767494
Who fucking cares? You're only trying to debate if this is good or not so you can fuck with the PCs (namely the Ranger), it's the only time 99% of people give a wet shit about alignment anyways.
>>
>>43767494
fucking obviously not?
is killing undead evil now?
>>
>>43767522
This.

Why the fuck do you retarded shits care about alignment so much anyway?

I'm lawful good IRL, I didn't stop existing that one time I assaulted a man outside his own home while in a drunken rage.

I'm still lawful good. Did I commit an act outside my alignment? Yes. Who the fuck cares except the guy I put in hospital.

No one. Caring about alignment in DnD is the top symptom of low functioning autism.

Tldr, alignment a shit, if you disagree I'll fukken fight you outside your own house.
>>
>>43767701
What if its an evil village of evil people infected with evil AIDS who plan on spreading it like wildfire and all you got to go on is one flaming arrow and a village with fresh birch bark roofing and an olive oil fetish?
>>
>>43767494
Second it became undead that became a good aligned option. No it doesn't matter if there was some diary nearby telling them how to unundead it or some potion of revive because they never knew and it never came up so his entire decision is good aligned.
>>
>>43767494
In his eyes it wasn't an evil act, so no not at all.

>The Wizard talked to the group and Wizards are supposed to be quiet
>guyz should I mark his class as shifting to the Sorcerer side?
>>
>>43767948
>I'm lawful good IRL
Prove it.
>>
>>43768116
>In his eyes it wasn't an evil act, so no not at all.

Just as an aside, that's not how it works. Moral relativism does not exist in D&D. There's a sliding scale based on the actual physical forces of 'good' and 'evil' that are the matte elemental energies necessary to comprise creatures made of the same stuff, i.e. angels are literally made of goodness and demons made of evil.
I'm not saying a character can't make a very valid argument as to why they've done something and why it may be perfectly justified, but I'm just saying that somewhere in Heaven or Hell, there's a ticker that tracks that shit as an objective act of a varying degree one way or the other.
How does the GM know what sort of stupid objective scale Heaven/Hell use? I wish I knew. It's just up to the individual game's fluff and the GM's own perspective, which of course, could and should, take the PC's explanation into account. But it's still up to that ticker and the GM, not the individual character's beliefs.
>>
>>43768278
>Prove it

I paid for Win Zip
>>
File: oh...my.gif (3 MB, 250x140) Image search: [Google]
oh...my.gif
3 MB, 250x140
>>43768336
i dont believe what im reading
>>
>>43768336
>I paid for Win Zip
It doesn't count if you were drunk or high when you did it.
>>
>>43768336
>>43768336
>giving money to Corel corporation is a good and lawful thing to have done

I know you're probably just joking, anon, but fucking please. That company has $250M dollars mostly gained from tricking older and non-computer savvy people into paying for software that they could have free elsewhere if not for patent-hunters that are themselves a predatory group of money-grubbing fucksticks.
The head of the company, Michael Cowpland, lives in a goddamn mansion made of glass and steel and was investigated in the late 90's for insider trading where he made $20M off of his shareholders. To avoid a guilty verdict, he just settled for a little over half a million, then retired, and walked away with fat stacks of stolen fucking money.
Those people are fucking monsters, and all Cowpland deserves is to be locked in his idiot mansion and have it firebombed until it crushed him.
>>
>>43767767
For all that people complain about Alignment it's a useful tool, but it's useful for being a simplification of complex moral systems and showing where cultural values differ, giving a quick way to gauge potential for conflicts and alliances. When you think about consequences of an action, alignment should be the least of your concerns.

First you should focus on what was done and who it affected, and how those involved may react. Start with those directly affected by the action. Then consider friends, family, allies, enemies, neutral bystanders, rumormongers, anyone who later hears about or is otherwise affected by it. These are the people that consequences should come from. Note that while this includes divine entities they should never come into play unless the event is large scale with far-reaching consequences.

Was there a misunderstanding that lead to them killing an innocent person? That's good, it leads to good roleplay. But not if you say "Oh by the way so and so was an innocent you're Neutral Evil now." Consequences should come first and foremost from the reactions of those affected. If you want the character to have a moral crisis, the girl crying to them about her murdered father will be a far more effective method than changing a detail on their character sheet.

Actual Alignment changes should be reserved for extreme cases; ones where a character is consistently playing against the alignment they chose. Such cases should be clear cut; if you have to ask whether their actions are consistently out of alignment, then it's not worth changing a stat that rarely comes into play. Even then, don't just tell them of the change! Let them find out through in-game interactions. Show their friends, family, allies etc. reacting to their change. Perhaps someone calls them out on the nature of their actions, be it bounty hunter, paladin, ally or old friend. Perhaps they've simply become estranged with those they once had ties with.
>>
File: 1391066992535.jpg (87 KB, 640x512) Image search: [Google]
1391066992535.jpg
87 KB, 640x512
>>43768395
>The secret and insidious history of WinZip
Is mIRC a trap too?
>>
>>43768278
I'm white.

(That was a joke)
>>
>>43768418
>(That was a joke)

Yes, White people are jokes.
>>
>>43768417
I don't know as much about that, honestly, but I'm seeing that mIRC Co. Ltd. only sits on $1.3M so, I'm gonna assume that they're not involved in patent-hunting and insider trading.
Even though charging $20 to register for that is kinda a dick move.
Then again, I don't know as much about this. Maybe they secretly have a hundred million stored on some island. But this company didn't negatively affect my portfolio, so I've done zero research on it.
>>
>>43767494
how much sith cock do you think that kid took to get power?
>>
>>43767948
>that name
>lawful good
Laffin
>>
>>43767948
>Australian
>Lawful
>>
>>43767494
An act of mercy or compassion is good in general. If the dwarf didn't want to be put out of his misery, though, it's an evil act. Of course, if the dwarf was undead, it doesn't matter because you can't kill undead, just redead them (redeading is not good or bad).
>>
>>43767948
>australian
>capable of any morals
>>
>>43768395
Good lord, what monsters. NEVER AGAIN SHALL I PAY FOR ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET!
>>
>>43767494
>evil rogue, neutral wizard, good ranger and good priest go into room
Great setup. What's the punch line?
>>
>>43770692
"toasted"
>>
>>43768417
Were it not for mIRC I never would've got into D&D.

I use hexchat now though.

I don't know why I'm posting this
>>
>>43772402
Because mIRC is absolute shit-tier and we must warn people, Anon.
I feel the need to also tell people that irssi is the client of the future.
>>
>>43772418
Yeah true it's pretty bad. mIRCscript is the only "programming" language I know. I used it to make bots to handle combat for games, so in that regard I have respect for it

But it's objectively bad.
>>
is it "chaotic good" to punch a teammate in the face to check if his new magic ring works as some kind of shield?
>>
>>43772521
Yeah, if the guy with the ring was curious. Unless ring man asked him to, in which case I would say lawful, I guess.
>>
>>43773385
And what if I was just curious?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.