[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taking as a given that the creation of Pathfinder was akin to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: Luther-nailing-theses-560x538.jpg (72 KB, 560x538) Image search: [Google]
Luther-nailing-theses-560x538.jpg
72 KB, 560x538
Taking as a given that the creation of Pathfinder was akin to the Protestant Reformation, when can we expect Pathfinder to tear itself apart and become dozens of fractious games with pretensions of purity?
>>
When they spit out a second edition.
>>
>>43756667
>implying it hasn't already
Once you go 3pp, you rarely want to go back to Paizo shite.
Except the Weapon Master's Handbook, that was a godsend
>>
>>43756750
too little too late- DSPress beat them to the punch and did it with style
>>
File: 95t2ytr7.jpg (111 KB, 560x538) Image search: [Google]
95t2ytr7.jpg
111 KB, 560x538
>>
>>43756667
It' more like
3.5: Orthodoxy
PF: Catholicism
DSP (and all the other 3rd party publishers who are putting out stuff for PF that's better than Paizo's stuff): Protestantism
>>
>>43756814

Nah:

>D&D: Days of Jesus
>AD&D: Catholicism
>3rd edition: Protestants
>Everything else: heresies
>>
>>43756667
>>43756814
You've both got it wrong. WotC was the Protestant Reformation. TSR is the Church.
>>
>>43756814
So. What are the older editions then?
>>
>>43756857
Who would the Jews be?
Also Mormons, since they're basically the wierd midground between Christians and Jews.
>>
File: Drew-Struzan-Star-Wars-Posters.jpg (128 KB, 600x609) Image search: [Google]
Drew-Struzan-Star-Wars-Posters.jpg
128 KB, 600x609
2e- A New Hope, a homage to the works of the genre that came before it, and while thoroughly enjoyable and explored a vast universe, it is a somewhat shallow movie

3rd- The Empire Strikes Back- Adding to the first film, it introduces a more complex plot, at the cost of being somewhat more heavy handed and a more dull watch

4e- Return of the Jedi- Campy, nonsensical, but it does appeal to a wider audience with bigger battles alongside a mix of the childish ewoks and the not so childish slave bikini.

PF: The Prequels: It's like Star Wars, but there's something... off.

5e- The Force Awakens: A lot of potential, perhaps a true return to greatness, but only time will tell.
>>
>>43757180
Jews came first so they are the old historical wargamers. Works doubly well since Yahweh was originally an angry war god.

Mormons aren't actually playing the game, they're just bad fanfiction writers.
>>
>>43757180
>>43757495
Jews: Chainmail
Mormons: 5E
Jehova's Witness: Dungeonworld
>>
>>43757417
5e is already out, and it's more like a novelization for children of the trilogy. The story is there but it's been pared down to the minimum, and has very little reuse value.

And 4e is KotOR - something completely different, with some relations to the media but with a different audience, enjoyable but not for the same reasons.

Also
>implying that 4e appealed to a wider audience
>>
>>43757665
It tried to appeal to a wider audience.
>>
>>43757159
Apocrypha
>>
File: NAiled It.png (273 KB, 560x366) Image search: [Google]
NAiled It.png
273 KB, 560x366
>>43756667
>the creation of Pathfinder was akin to the Protestant Reformation
It's more like an alternate version of Luther from an alternate history where the college of cardinals got so fet up with the Medici pope(s) that they went full roman-senate and assassinated his ass to undo the sale of indulgences and reform the church to the point where many thought it was unrecognizable, but Luther really LOVED the sale of indulgences, and carefully preserved the catechism-as-interpreted-under-Medici under a different name, using people angry at the changes to preserve his version of the original version.

The reformation was trying to enact change
Pathfinder was trying to undo change
>>
>>43757417
>2e- A New Hope, a homage to the works of the genre that came before it, and while thoroughly enjoyable and explored a vast universe, it is a somewhat shallow movie
This I buy, but that's where our analogies start to diverge. I'd probably just lump New-Hope and Empire together as 2e.

3rd=Phantom Menace+Clone Wars: What the fuck were they thinking? At first, I was kind of excited, but when I actually watched it, really ABSORBED it, and started to understand how it works, it made me sick, and I couldn't even call it D&D/Star-Wars.

4e=Expanded Universe Fiction: On a fundemental level, it's different, but a lot of it is really good, once you get over that it is losely inspired by the original, and doing its own thing (and a damn good job at its own thing.)

PF=Clone Wars Cartoon: Look luvcas, I didn't like it when it was 75% CGI on the silver screen, why do you think I'll like it if it's 100% CGI on the small screen. This is literally the same schlock, repackaged.

5e=Revenge of the Sith: Look, I know that you're trying to harken back to your old stuff, but it's just more Phantom Menace/3e in yet another new package. It's not QUITE as bad as the things its trying to redeem, but that's not saying much
>>
>>43757570
I'd say Jehovah's are PF. It fits well with their attitude towards rest of the "faithful" aka D&D playing world.
>>
>>43758274
What are you talking about? Every PF/3e player I know is fully aware that the games are 100% compatable, and largely the same game. When most 3.PF DM's I know select "approved material sources" for their games, it's almost always a mix of some 3e books and some PF books. I literally know NOBODY who tries to claim that they are signifigantly different games.
>>
>>43757913
So then 4e is the Protestant reformation and PF is the post Council of Trent Catholic Church.
>>
>>43758168
>4e=Expanded Universe Fiction: On a fundemental level, it's different, but a lot of it is really good, once you get over that it is losely inspired by the original, and doing its own thing (and a damn good job at its own thing.)
At first I was kinda annoyed by this, but then I realized it was funny because Disney declared all EU not canon, which is the same thing that Mearls and the 5e dev team did to 4e by making it edition non grata.
>>
>>43758614
>PF is the post Council of Trent Catholic Church

Pathfinder always struck me as more of a post Second Vatican Council Catholic Church.
>>
File: dfg.jpg (120 KB, 381x611) Image search: [Google]
dfg.jpg
120 KB, 381x611
>>43756857
>implying protestants aren't heretics
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.