[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The "x-card"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 21
File: rapping mario.gif (712 KB, 240x181) Image search: [Google]
rapping mario.gif
712 KB, 240x181
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SB0jsx34bWHZWbnNIVVuMjhDkrdFGo1_hSC2BWPlI3A/edit?pli=1
>The X-Card is an optional tool (created by John Stavropoulos) that allows anyone in your game (including you) to edit out any content anyone is uncomfortable with as you play. Since most RPGs are improvisational and we won't know what will happen till it happens, it's possible the game will go in a direction people don't want. An X-Card is a simple tool to fix problems as they arise.

What is /tg/'s opinion on this?
>>
At a convention game, it's just about usable. Lots of randoms sitting down, all with their own levels of comfort and what have you.

You bring this crap into my house to one of my games I will throw your ass out. If you have a problem with what's going on, come talk to me like a human being, and we'll have a conversation about what's going on.
>>
File: 523baacb355511a354d19e6014f35e.jpg (45 KB, 540x392) Image search: [Google]
523baacb355511a354d19e6014f35e.jpg
45 KB, 540x392
>>43754229
It's not a thing anyone outside of tumblr or 4chan know about. And I've played with a lot of people, it has never come out. Tumblr is, as always, pic related.
>>
>>43754263
/thread
>>
>>43754229
As with any system it's prone to abuse by retards/dicks. But as >>43754263 said, it's about workable for a casual convention environment.
>>
>>43754229
I must know more about hip-hop Mario... Please tell me this is official, and Japan just didn't know how stupid it looked.
>>
>>43754229
>Raises x Card
>"You know, i'm just not comfortable with people dying."
>But you cut down like, twenty orcs to get here
>"Yeah, but they aren't people. Anyway, the idea of our characters dying is really uncomfortable, so I'm X-carding it."
>>
File: 2triggered4xcard.png (124 KB, 1224x977) Image search: [Google]
2triggered4xcard.png
124 KB, 1224x977
>>
File: Types of Abuse 4chan.jpg (3 MB, 1800x4478) Image search: [Google]
Types of Abuse 4chan.jpg
3 MB, 1800x4478
>>43754303
While we're at it.
>>
>>43754229
Retarded shit is retarded. First of all nothing is stopping you from asking your gm not to incloude certine things in his campaing. Second you can always say that something is juz too much for you when a player dose it, last but not less you have the power as a cherecter to stop a lot of said actions. X card is just a atempt to make tabletops into hugboxes. This is wrong
>>
>>43754320
We're having a nice conversation about a shitty RPG add on system, not arguing about feminism.
>>
>>43754303
>modern horror
>introduced funny elves
Why would you join an horror game if you don't like it ?
>>
>>43754299
>Okay. The axe to your forebrain disrupts the neurological pathways that keep you conscious. Your character falls into a coma. Ordinary healing magic will not awaken you from this trauma induced sleep. It required a spell called "resurrction". Oh, roll a fort save to keep breathing g for the next turn or you'll start taking INT damage
>>
>>43754343
>last but not less you have the power as a cherecter to stop a lot of said actions
If you read the list of actions he refers to, not really. I mean you could but you'd look crazy. As much as I think this is a shitty idea, making it so that a player doesn't have to deal with shit that gives them problems during their escapist happy funtimes isn't the worst idea.
>>
>>43754393
Simple answer. If you are playing with someone, send them a a txt or e-Mai saying " if find this and this very uncomfyreble and hard to deal it, it would kill a lot of the fun of the campaign. Could you bot ibcloud it when playing with me?"
>>
File: dogdm.jpg (3 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
dogdm.jpg
3 MB, 4288x2848
>>43754229
... why does it take 29 pages to explain a 2 sentence idea?
>>
>>43754439
The author is a bit...
>>
>>43754439
Because for many people enjoy warping those two sentences into something it doesn't actually mean.
>>
File: Doushio.jpg (59 KB, 500x407) Image search: [Google]
Doushio.jpg
59 KB, 500x407
>Someone describes holding an NPC's hand
>Not sure whether to X-card or not
>>
>>43754421
Not include it while im playing. Sorry guys new phone still getting a hang of it
>>
>>43754472
>The O-Card is an X-Card with an X on one side and an O on the other!
>The O-Card was invented by Kira Scott so that players who want more of specific content can tap the O instead of the X to tell the other players, "more of this!"

O tapping intensifies.
>>
We already discussed that on /tg/, and the conclusion was: We are adults who are capable of talking with each other beforehand
>>
Seems like it's easier to just not play with creeps.
>>
>>43754421
Because originally it was created so that people who don't know one another can play without getting to know one another and having a heart to heart before the game starts.
>>
>>43754303

See, one some level I can see something like this working and having a purpose. If your DM or players start going into full on abuse, rape, etc I can see having sort of meta stop being handy.

But holy shit more than half that list is fucking stupid.
>>
>>43754303
>Failing
Then the game, or any game is fucked as you can not allow them to have the chance to fail, so there is no challenge.
>>
>>43754496
>We are adults who are capable of talking with each other beforehand

The threads we have tell a different story.
>>
>>43754229
My opinion on this is that it is incredibly silly.
>>
>>43754501
You don't need a heart to heart. You can just tell what things make you uncomftreble without going into detail why
>>
>>43754503
Well at that point, you just tell your players don't do that shit
Like i would never let someone directly hurt a child. They can burn down an orphanage, yes, but i wouldn't let them straight up murder a kid.
Also, pedophillia and rape is banned from my table.
>>
>>43754229
This is the dumbest thing I've seen in a while. If we're playing a game, you hold up a card and expect me to edit something out of the game, no questions asked, instead of just saying something so we can talk it out like adults, then I am no longer playing with you.
>>
>>43754548
yeah but some people are weaker willed/have more things they're uncomfortable with than other people anon.

It's a system for socially awkward/slightly weird people to use, so of course anyone who isn't their specific colour of socially awkward and weird is going to find it sort of stupid.
>>
>>43754229
Its passive aggressive shit and If you can't communicate like an adult you don't belong in my game.

Nothing is taboo in my game, you can threaten to rape the queen or throw in gay joke after gay joke if you want. If something goes to far though you got to step up and say. Different issues have impacted my players and we just quash it and move on but not everyone is a fucking psychic about peoples backgrounds so you have to speak up.

My best example is that I'm sensitive to graphic descriptions of animal cruelty and suffering having lost animals in a car crash. The DM went into a little too much detail to how my Ranger watched his animal companion burn to death and how it was upsetting. Spoke to him about it after the game, apologised and moved on.

Shit like cards, to me anyway will just be a way for uninteresting aspies to generate attention for themselves.
>>
>>43754553
>I described plane turbulence. This triggered a player and luckily I stopped asap (we had to stop the game as well) and we did what we could to help the person in question.

Just.

What the fuck is wrong with people that they need to be mollycoddled this hard? As other anons have said, fair enough if you don't want rape or child abuse in games, but fucking plane turbulence...
>>
>>43754533
Wasn't there a game called "Drowning and falling down"?
>>
>>43754573
I'm inclined to agree, with the only caveat being that there are some things that are just common sense to not regularly include in a game. Rape and graphic animal cruelty are good examples of things that CAN come up in a game, but most likely won't come up often, if at all, so even really socially awkward people don't really have anything to worry about in most cases.

And even if those things come up regularly in someone's group, they can tell the person in question that they aren't comfortable with that stuff, and if it continues, they can always find another group. Even in these cases, the cards are completely unnecessary, and in any other situation, they're incredibly stupid.
>>
>>43754615
You've never been on a really bad plane flight? I've no lasting damage from them, but there was one I was on maybe 10 years ago when I thought I was actually going to die the weather and turbulence was so bad. It's not impossible for me to believe someone might have a deep rooted fear as a result of something like that, it was incredibly awful at the time.
>>
>>43754615
Internet social justice told them that anything that makes them feel even the slightest bit uncomfortable is bad and needs to be stamped out. It's genuinely pretty scary how prevalent this viewpoint is becoming.
>>
>>43754229

>anon we are not playing Uno, you know?
>>
File: 375pxUno_Wild_Draw_4_card.jpg (13 KB, 200x320) Image search: [Google]
375pxUno_Wild_Draw_4_card.jpg
13 KB, 200x320
>>43754688
>>
>>43754764
I'm so literally triggered right now
>>
>>43754303

>Described an NPC Smoking

so... what about if they're walking down the street and see somebody smoking? Do they stop life?

>Funny elves in horror

Ok, you started weak, but that's actually a decent way to get somebody's attention and say that they're being stupid, and in some cases I guess this could wo-

>Described plane turbulence and had to stop the game

...what?
>>
>>43754764
Now THAT'S something that could rightfully make you feel triggered.
>>
>>43754788
>so... what about if they're walking down the street and see somebody smoking? Do they stop life?

No, obviously they flash the x card at them
>>
>>43754548
In a one-shot convention setting (where the X-Card is intended to be used), it's faster and easier to veto something when it comes up than it is to delay starting the game in anticipation of something that may never come up anyway.
>>
>>43754821
It's even easier to just say something of you're uncomfortable.
>>
>>43754852
Which you do. The card is just to get the GM's attention.
>>
The concept of triggers annoys me so much.

I mean, look, if something horrible has happened to a person, I can understand this as a form of PTSD. Got raped? Yeah, ok, rape jokes are a no go. Lost your arm in Nam? ok, sure, i'll keep the jokes to a minimum and try not to put you in a life or limb situation.

But triggers have gone a step further and made it so that anything that makes you even mildly uncomfortable isn't allowed, because it'd make you feel slightly uncomfortable, even if it's a very common thing.
>Please don't even talk about people smoking because I don't like it
>Please don't mention snow because I don't like it
>The villain can't do anything bad because it'd make me feel uncomfortable

At its best, its annoying to deal with and prompts a gut response of telling those people to suck it up, because most of the things you're bringing up are commonplace, and if you can't deal with it here, you're going to have a bad time outside. At its worst, it neuters the game, and forces you to completely strip out anything interesting you had planned challenge or story wise because a player doesn't like it.
>>
>>43754901
It's unnecessary, though. You can raise your hand, politely interrupt, or even just wait until the GM is done talking. The card isn't just to get their attention, either. It's meant to be a signal for "what you just said triggered me, and I want you to remove it from your narrative for me, no questions asked."
>>
>>43754944
>a life or limb situation.
Motherfucker
>>
>>43754944

My main problem is that, personally, those people are overreacting. I don't really put sexual violence in my games, but the villains do have to do some fucked-up shit or they're just poseurs.
>>
People who make power grabs make a power grab shocker

In related news - motherfuckers may in fact fuck their mothers
>>
>>43754487
>One player holds up an X card
>The rest hold up O cards
>>
>>43754439
He knows that people might have objections to his idea, so he has to deliver an apologia on along with the explanation. It doesn't help that the way he writes, he often just puts a single sentence on a page as an FAQ entry.
>>
>>43755051

RUSSIAN JUDGE
>>
>>43754229
I think it's fucking stupid is what it is.
>>
>>43755051
>gm holds the uwu card, as a friendly reminder that xi is an aromantic demisexual genderfluid wolf, and that everyone at the table needs to check their privilege
>the players all hold up their own uwu cards in compliance, thus signaling that the game is now a safe space, and that they will be following the gm on Tumblr right away

>>43755060
But what possible objections could anyone have to this masterpiece?
>>
>>43755122
Tumblr is truly at its best when it is ironic shitposting.
>>
File: 1388649074793.jpg (234 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1388649074793.jpg
234 KB, 800x1000
>>43754615
Because social media has informed people that they are special snowflakes, and that anything which causes them to feel slightly uncomfortable is BADWRONG. Having been coddled like this for months, possibly years, they now expect this sort of treatment and have a fit when they don't get it.
>>
>>43754788
>>43754811
Quit smoking a few months ago. and especially the first two weeks seeing people smoking on the street isn't particularly helpful, but mainly it just made me slap myself for getting addicted in the first place.

If seeing someone smoking/having someone smoking 'triggers' you in any way you're a dumb shit
>>
>>43754263
I wouldn't toss someone out, but if someone just sits there angrily tapping on an X card without any sort of explanation, I'm going to mock them for it(probably by angrily tapping other things on the table, like their mini or a coaster) until they remember how to use words.
>>
>>43755188
>player starts tapping their X-card
>aggressively tap their ass until they remember to use words

Seems fair, lad.
>>
>>43754901
Modern humanity has this neat invention called words that do a good job of getting ideas across.

You can even say these words louder or use these handy things we call arms to get their attention.
>>
>>43755169
>>43754944
>>43754670
Exactly what is this mental illness called?
>>
>>43754303
>eating in front of others
>needles
So what, am I supposed to stop being diabetic?
>>
>>43755294
Yes. Their feelings matter more than your health you fucking fascist.
>>
>>43754320
>the lewd elf&orc
>>
>>43754944
"Trigger" was originally a psychiatric term for a particular thing that, because of its reminiscence to a certain traumatic situation, can instantly evoke a PTSD flashback and panic attack.

Tumblr circlejerking has twisted the meaning of the word to mean "anything that makes me uncomfortable." This is because of the way tumblr works: it creates tightly-knit communities of people who butter each other up emotionally and tell them that what they _feel_ like on the inside is the only thing that matters. This is how you get otherkin who attribute personality flaws to their kin type, demisexuals who think that not being attracted to someone you don't know is anything but normal, and much more. Their little circle of followers has told them that if something makes them _feel_ uncomfortable, that's a trigger and they have a right to have it removed.
>>
>>43755465

Couldn't have said it better myself. So, to answer this previous question:

>>43755271

It's called "the world's biggest echo chamber."
>>
>>43755271
I suggest calling it 'Allergic to Reality'
>>
File: 1445408295206.jpg (265 KB, 1238x3197) Image search: [Google]
1445408295206.jpg
265 KB, 1238x3197
>>43754472
Ruka a best.
>>
>>43755664
YOOOOOOOOO!
>>
If someone ever pulls this shit out at my table, I'm kicking them on the spot. It's called the X-card cause you're gonna need a pirate map to find your way out of here.

Get some skin you damn dirty cowards.
>>
File: wlMxqnc.jpg (309 KB, 1280x743) Image search: [Google]
wlMxqnc.jpg
309 KB, 1280x743
>>43755465

Pic related should be required reading.
>>
>>43755294

The answer is to out-trigger them by being even more offended and indignant until they cave.

Or, you know, we can throw away a passive-aggressive system of non-communication and instead use our words like the intelligent, complex beings we should be fucking acting like.
>>
>>43755802
This will never not be one of my favorite screen-capped posts. It hits the nail right on the head.

In an effort to keep the thread going without it becoming more of a circle-jerk, how would you guys handle it if one of your players said something you had put into your game genuinely did make them feel uncomfortable? Like, say they broached the subject calmly and politely, and just said that whatever it was had made them uncomfortable, and that they would prefer to not have it in the game from that point on.

How would you guys react to that? Would it depend on what they were uncomfortable about? Would WHEN they chose to bring this up affect your decision (as it was happening in-game vs. after the game)? Obviously, this is assuming the thing in question isn't something like "An NPC was smoking, and that triggered me."

Dumb as those cards are, I don't see why we can't have an actual discussion about this, because after reading the responses so far, I'm genuinely curious as to what you would all do in that situation.
>>
>>43755802
Some parts of the social justice community are like that. Or rather, some communities that call themselves social justice are like that. But you will run into people for whom being an SJW is just a minor quirk and doesn't alienate them form the rest of society or alienate the rest of society from them. It's that way with pretty much any sort of nutcase. Yeah, there are people who are in over their heads, but there are also people who are mostly normal but just weird in this one way.
>>
>>43755122

Let's just take it to its logical conclusion and communicate with each other across a table through cryptic semaphore.

Maybe we can kickstart miniature semaphore towers operated by string, with an instruction manual teaching you how to read and sign in semaphore. Then we might actually be producing a product with substance and limited utility than a bunch of overpriced cards with Xs on printed on them and a 29 page rulebook of apologism.
>>
>>43754503
Triggers like that always seem fucking stupid when you take them out of context and put them in a list like that. Sometimes people end up with deeply-engrained associations of a simple thing with whatever their traumatic experience is. Everything has to be taken in context.
>>
It's stupid. If someone gets THAT upset over shit and they talk to me like a person, I won't like it and I'll probably say they're best looking elsewhere for a game, but I'll try to tone it down out of respect for the person as long as they aren't buzzkilling everything.

But if they use a card? No, fuck you. Talk to me like an adult and we'll sort whatever the problem is out. Throw up a card and the only thing being sorted out is removing a retard from the group.
>>
>>43756025
Being an SJW isn't a minor quirk. What you described is someone who's in favor of people being treated fairly, who recognizes that sometimes people aren't, and thinks something should be done about that. In other words, they're a normal human being. There's a big difference between that sort of person and anyone who self-labels as a SJW.
>>
>>43756075

True, but many of those run totally against what happens in many tabletop rpgs.

The following could be used to describe your average dungeon crawl.

>Aimlessness
>Authority Figures
>Blood
>Corpses
>Darkness
>Disease
>Eating in Front of Others
>Failing
>Injuries
>Mobs
>Pain
>Pressure
>Public Places/Public Restrooms
>Reading Aloud
>Sharp Objects
>Slime
>Small Spaces
>Specific Smells
>Spiders
>Searing
>Uncertainty
>Violence
>Yelling
>>
>>43754764
>Play uno
>"UNOOOOOO :^))))))))))))))))))"
>Wild'd, drow all blue, fucker says yellow
>>
>>43755294
just do yourself in the bathroom or something
>>
>>43755999
If it's something that's core to the campaign theme-wise, I like to be upfront about that kind of thing before a campaign even starts, so I'd be pretty confused as to why they took so long to say something about it. If they (and this is important) aren't being a turbodouche about it and it isn't absolutely critical to the coherency of the campaign that it stays, I'll do my best work around it and not have it come up again.

If they're being a turbodouche about it, they can get fucked, I'll do what I want. Not that this is the mature or ideal response, but I usually can't help myself from matching venom with venom.

Otherwise, I'd have a chat with them after the session about whether or not this is actually the game they're looking for and that I can't afford to cut that kind of thing out completely.

If it isn't particularly important and I never mentioned that it would be the kind of thing in the campaign, I'll cut it out immediately.
If they as a player took the campaign down the road that's now causing things that are problems for them, I hit them over the head with the core rulebook until they leave
>>
>>43756082
I have passing acquaintance some people (many, many degrees of separation away from /tg/) who call themselves SJWs primarily in response to the rabid anti-SJW crowd that you get on the likes of /v/, who shout "SJW!" as soon as anyone gets too close to mentioning a social issue. They're moderately more concerned about social issues then most, and then they run into people who respond to any mention of social issues with "zomg SJW" and their response is "So what if I am an SJW, you got a problem with that?"
>>
>>43755999
>how would you guys handle it if one of your players said something you had put into your game genuinely did make them feel uncomfortable? Like, say they broached the subject calmly and politely, and just said that whatever it was had made them uncomfortable, and that they would prefer to not have it in the game from that point on.

Firstly: checked.

Secondly: The shortest possible answer is that I hopefully make the mistake of putting something that'd make the players seriously uncomfortable in the first place, and I am fortunate enough to play with by-and-large sensible people, who are sensitive enough not to want to have their PC rape kids, or whatever.

If it happened by honest mistake though: I guess it would by and large depend on what the actual thing was, and when they did wouldn't make too much of a difference. Personally, I'd be likely to accommodate them if it was something serious.

But then again, there is definitely a case for saying "Well, hang on, rape/child abuse/whatever SHOULD make you feel uncomfortable, which is why I put it in the game" but you can only have that kind of approach with a) actual mature players and b) people who aren't (with valid reason) going to get seriously seriously distressed by it. If that makes sense?

Good question though, and nice trips to boot.
>>
>>43756160

Here's this handy yellow tube to help cut off blood flow for more effective injection results. I'm sure people will understand.
>>
>>43754303

>failure

>DM: Alright, To-
>Player: I'M GORGESH DESTROYER OF WORLDS RIGHT NOW!
>Alright, Gorgesh, you miss the ogre.
>Player: No, I don't fail, it makes me uncomfortable. Rerolling...
>DM: You can't do that, you missed the ogr-
>Player: FUCKING SHITLORD IM TRIGGERED FUCK YOU REEEEEEEEEE! HE WON'T LET ME REROLL TO HIT AND SAYS I FAILED! REEEEEEEEE!
>DM: Get the fuck out.
>>
>>43754303

this triggers me
>>
>>43754944
Tumblr stupidity aside, if you're bagging on about smoking to someone who is trying to quit smoking, you're an asshole.
>>
>>43756168
>>43756171

You guys both make a lot of sense. In particular, this point is something I hadn't thought about:

>But then again, there is definitely a case for saying "Well, hang on, rape/child abuse/whatever SHOULD make you feel uncomfortable, which is why I put it in the game" but you can only have that kind of approach with a) actual mature players and b) people who aren't (with valid reason) going to get seriously seriously distressed by it.

I guess I'm lucky to have a similarly sensible group of people, because this sort of thing hasn't come up for me, personally. Apparently I'm checking my good group privilege at this very moment.

>>43756169
I mean, I don't really get why anyone would associate themselves with a toxic, hateful group just to spite a different toxic, hateful group, but to each their own, I suppose.
>>
>>43755172

Well, if someone is having a hard time of it, you should probably know about it so you can be supportive. Shit, a good part of trying to quit is telling your friends and family, who can help support you. Well, unless they're all cunts who blow smoke in your face and undermine your efforts because they're little shits who don't respect you and your commitments.
>>
>>43756075
>Everything has to be taken in context.

The only "context" I have here is that these people have cheapened the word "traumaic" to mean "things I don't like." As such I will never take this shit seriously and continue thinking they need to grow up and grow a backbone while they're at it.

>>43756171
>But then again, there is definitely a case for saying "Well, hang on, rape/child abuse/whatever SHOULD make you feel uncomfortable, which is why I put it in the game" but you can only have that kind of approach with a) actual mature players and b) people who aren't (with valid reason) going to get seriously seriously distressed by it. If that makes sense?

And then there's this. Yeah, some stuff is *supposed* to make you uncomfortable. Learning to deal with that is part of being a functional human being.

A villain doing villainous things is supposed to elicit discomfort when he gets his way, cuz he's doing bad stuff.

A horror game is supposed to elicit discomfort, otherwise it's not a very good horror game.

Give SJW standards for comfort and discomfort in the first place, there is no rational way to appease them, and the only real option is to tell them to grow up.
>>
>>43756399

Or they can man the fuck up and just quit. Even my old grandmother quit smoking and we smoke around her all the fucking time and she doesn't complain. If you need "support" to get over smoking, get the fuck over yourself and learn some self control. It's not someone else's fault if you fail to stop smoking and give in because "SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE HELPED ME!". You need to learn self control and grow up and learn that while you do make choices that may be good, it is not on everybody else in the world to cater to you, your needs, or what you want and make you not fail at things. You're not a child anymore.
>>
>>43755999
One of my players has epilepsy. But it's not flashing lights that trigger an episode for him, it's descriptions or scenes of extreme violence. I made the mistake of first checking out NBCs Hannibal when it first premiered while he was over and next thing I know he's flopping like a fish on my couch during the scene where a deer is being butchered.

Shit like

>the mindflayer hisses angrily as your sword cuts into its flesh, blood like green ichor staining its robes

doesn't bother him. However if the killing blow involves a gash that makes the mindflayer's intestines slither out of its abdomen like pale bloated snakes? Suddenly its Fainting Goat central.

Me? Horrible crippling fear of spiders. (I played WoW during an expansion where an entire wing of a dungeon was full of spiders and had a giant spider end boss. I played a healer thankfully, and spent 99% of the encounters facing the back wall with my game sounds off.) It's funny, I know it is. I make no excuses otherwise. So out of courtesy other GMs rarely use spiders - or if they do, they keep any descriptive words to a minimum. Nothing about the weird clatter-hiss monster spiders always seem to make or the clacking legs or the eyes or the fangs or the me triggering myself.
>>
>>43755999
It would depend on what we're talking about. If someone felt disturbed after I described a stabbing or something in graphic detail, or an abusive alcoholic or something, then I certainly could tone it down if they present a reason.

But something like or "planes" or "the Republican National Convention", or the opposite end of the scale with common things in your average pnp game like "eating in front of others", "occult imagery" or "fighting", and it'll be a harder sell.
>>
>>43756468
>>43756472

I was going to make a joke about the version of Naxx we got in Wrath triggering me, too, but that makes total sense.

Both of these posts are really good examples of things that are 100% reasonable to ask your GM to tone down.
>>
>>43756458

I never said you don't need to man up and quit, that it's not about self-control and willpower, but if not being a cunt for an hour or two or however long we're interacting is within my power and an easy enough to do, then I'll do it. What, do I NEED to be an asshole all the time?

And, if anything, getting the word out to your friends and family actually ups the stakes. If you fail, you don't just have yourself to explain it to, you have to explain to EVERYBODY you told that you're a fucking quitter. This ain't a fucking hugbox we're creating, we're upping the price of failure.
>>
File: weeaboo.jpg (221 KB, 517x517) Image search: [Google]
weeaboo.jpg
221 KB, 517x517
>>43756397
>I mean, I don't really get why anyone would associate themselves with a toxic, hateful group just to spite a different toxic, hateful group, but to each their own, I suppose.
They don't, though, they mainly just associate with one another. The name "SJW" is more often used by /v/ than by Tumblr, and it's primarily in response to /v/ and company that they call themselves SJWs, so there's not much harm done. As I see it, it's not all that different from calling yourself a weeaboo. Just because you call yourself a weeaboo doesn't mean you're calling yourself the sort of person who would make pic related.
>>
>>43756544
Ah, right. That's fair enough, then. I think I just tend to get a little rankled whenever someone refers to themselves as an SJW or anti-SJW, just because of the implications that come with both of those groups. To me, they're two sides of the same coin, which is why I don't like either of them.

What you said makes sense, though. In that context, I get it.
>>
>>43756468

Fear is something we need to face, rather than hide from. Fear exists to warn us against danger, but when that danger is unfounded then fear exists to be conquered.

Tarantulas are pretty fun to play with or hold. At the very least, you know where you stand with a tarantula: there are no species of dangerously venomous tarantula, the worst bite their venom can deliver is about as bad as a mosquito bite. Also when something is fuzzy and about the size of your hand, it's more like a teeny dog than a bug. Ones bred in captivity are incredibly mellow as well.
>>
>>43756543

I see that. I can respect that, I guess I just read what you said the wrong way. But, nah, you've got it right there.
>>
>>43756612
>I think I just tend to get a little rankled whenever someone refers to themselves as an SJW or anti-SJW, just because of the implications that come with both of those groups. To me, they're two sides of the same coin, which is why I don't like either of them.

Le enlightend fence sittr faec

Besides, literally no one calls themselves an anti-SJW.
>>
>>43756679
I'm not claiming to be enlightened. I've just seen enough shitty people in both those camps to not want to associate with either of them.

>Besides, literally no one calls themselves an anti-SJW

A simple google search will prove you wrong.
>>
>>43756759
The two aren't really comparable, since SJWs have done concrete harm to colleges, video game development and comedy, all of which are already centre left oriented fields.
>>
>>43756833

He's not an SJW the same way Something Awful isn't.
>>
>>43756668

True, but some of them when frightened can fire the hairs on their back at you and give you a nasty rash.

My dad had one for years, and one day it got loose and took shelter in my stepbrother's pants. Turns out that both spiders and humans freak out when you try to put on spider pants. Also turns out that your inner thigh is a shitty place to get a rash.
>>
>>43756833
I agree, they have. SJWs are a toxic and hateful group, which I stated in one of my earlier posts. I don't have to associate myself with any sort of group or movement to be against that.

>>43756875
If you read my posts, you'll find I'm very much not an SJW.
>>
>>43756875
>He
Who is "he?"
>>
>>43756974

That's fine then.
>>
>>43756976

The guy you were talking to.
>>
>>43756884

Yeah, their spike defense is worse than their bite. Still, it's not going to kill you unless you're somehow allergic.
>>
At PAX we sat down to a random RPG with some random dude, and he talked us through this. My brother in law actually laughed at him before we realized the guy was serious.
>>
>>43756677

That's adversity for us. It keeps us going, and makes us strong, but adversity for adversity's sake is cruelty. The world's harsh enough already, it doesn't need my help.
>>
I like how we've managed to turn some frequently-volatile topics into civil discussions just by communicating like calm adults.

There's a message in here somewhere, I'm sure of it.
>>
>>43754303
>Uncertainty

In a role-playing game? Never!
>>
>>43754303
This just looks so much like a troll attempt that I can't take it seriously. There's so many of those that just make playing a game in the first place impossible.

>Touching
>War
>Dead bodies
>feet
>failing
>competition
>dogs
>injuries
>pain
>uncertainty
>READING ALOUD
Motherfucking reading aloud is a COMMON TRIGGER? On what fucking planet?
>>
>>43757197
>failing, pain, and injuries commonly make people feel uncomfortable

You don't say
>>
>>43757242

In the fictional world of a pen and paper RPG. Of course you're gonna fail and take damage, you might even bite the dust.

What happens if someone fails? Do we let them keep rerolling until they succeed and are guaranteed to win no matter what? If so, then why bother playing at all? It's not a game if there's no way to actually lose or there's no adversity for the players to overcome. Fuck, at that point it's not even a story.
>>
>>43754615
>picking the one of the three that actually makes sense
There's a lot of legitimate phobias out there surrounding planes and the person who asked him to stop could have been in a plane crash or something or may just be one of those people where riding on a plane in a perfect flight is already enough to make them shit their pants.

That said, most of the rest is total bullshit and those people should probably get a firm grasp on their testicles.
>>
>>43757120

We stand unified by a thing we all find a mutual disgust in. The X-Card stands in opposition to our cherished ideals and philosophies that we should deal with our problems as adults, in an upfront manner, with sincerity and no small amount of give and take, understanding, forgiveness, and social grace from all parties.

It is given form in our anathema we refer to as "That Guy," and championed in the ideal we hold of "This Guy." Traditional Games, in the traditional sense, require a large part of human interaction, most frequently in person, and so social adeptness is considered our most venerated skill and the standard to which we hold others. It's ironic, given that this is supposed to be the hobby of awkward nerds.
>>
>>43757242
>misunderstanding what I was saying this bad
I was listing off the 'common' triggers that would make playing any sort of typical TTRPG impossible.

You could get a campaign going without any sort of violence whatsoever, but what kind of campaign would you have if there was no failure, uncertainty, or competition?
>>
>>43756397
>Well, hang on, rape/child abuse/whatever SHOULD make you feel uncomfortable, which is why I put it in the game

Fucking this - applies to books, films, and TV as well, surely?
>>
How would you guys feel if your GM is running a horror game, he asks if there are any sensitive subjects he should avoid, then he includes them to heighten the fear?
>>
>>43757333
>but what kind of campaign would you have if there was no failure, uncertainty, or competition?
Ryuutama
>>
>>43757333
I was agreeing with you. I was making fun of the fact that those are on the original list at all.
>>
>>43757398

My GM did so for one player, but made sure to clear it with that player rather than just have it show up. We didn't hear what it was, the GM took him into a private room and we could hear some talking, but he was visibly uncomfortable but defiant when they came back. Facing your fears can be tough, but if you're willing to do it, it can be quite rewarding.
>>
>>43754229
Oh, this troll thread again, full of people misunderstanding the point?
Yawn.
>>
>>43757421
>implying you can't die a horrible, slow death if you aren't prepared for the right environment conditions
>>
>>43757430

Did the player enjoy it?

I have ran a horror game and asked my players if there was anything they'd be uncomfortable with me including. I got some responses but I could tell they were worried this is what I was going for. I wasn't, but I'm wondering how this kind of thing would play out if you got players' consent (either before or asking about taboos).
>>
>>43757427
Ah, my bad then.
>>
>>43757499
All good. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>43754229

So I've read this beginning to end and I very much appreciate the author's open and compassionate attitude but I still do not understand this in the slightest.

If the uncomfortable player doesn't say what makes them uncomfortable, then... how do you know what made them uncomfortable?

The author keeps saying "we're not mind-readers" and "this keeps the game moving" and I don't know what the fuck he/she is talking about. Either I have to stop the game and take the uncomfortable player aside and ask for an explanation, or I have to be a mind reader and magically know what it is I need to avoid, it's one or the other.

The author acts like it is possible to navigate this sort of situation without using your words. And it would be nice if it was, but It isn't. Am I missing something here?
>>
>>43757957

Nope. It's just SJW insanity.
>>
File: fear-of-flying.png (257 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
fear-of-flying.png
257 KB, 500x375
>>43757957
I'm guessing most of the time it would be obvious ("My daughter was captured and raped by orcs last winter," player taps their x-card).

But then look at the examples in >>43754303, the trigger is snow, not the terrible car accident. Or plane turbulence, when in the situation it might have been one of a number of things (pic related).

What they should do is write their triggers on index cards, then hand them to the GM. And that's it. No need for tapping or stopping an entire game.
>>
File: amusedfemales.jpg (96 KB, 838x600) Image search: [Google]
amusedfemales.jpg
96 KB, 838x600
>>43758035
>actually taking MUH TWIGGERS seriously
>>
>>43757957
Honestly it's better if people just talk to the GM afterwards instead of going through all of this unnecessary bull shit
>>
>>43757197

They probably mean "making the player read aloud". Some people are comfortable speaking in front of a group but then you hand them a prop-note to read aloud and suddenly in their head they're back in 3rd grade reading class freezing up from stage fright. It's not really common, just one of those weird things some people have.

None of those triggers (or whatever, the author stopped using "trigger" I guess) make playing impossible, though they might indicate that you're in the wrong game. Like, if you want to play a gae without war or dead bodies or injury, there's nothing wrong with that, there are RPGs for you out there, but the game I'm running at my table isn't one of them and isn't for you. The other players are all there for the war and the injuries and the dead bodies, we are there to play out a mythic power fantasy with strong racial-supremacist overtones, and we aren't all going to stop what we're doing and make up something else just because one player is offended by it.

At some point you have to recognize that the triggered player is simply at the wrong table and I don't see any indication of this from the author, it's like the GM is supposed to be a zen master of improv and constantly throw his plans out the window, with vague implications that he's a bad person if he doesn't.
>>
>>43758086
Some people have genuine issues or would rather not have to deal with certain things, and part of being a good host is to accomodate that.

However, they have the right to leave at any time, just as you have the right to tell them to leave.
>>
File: 1419360726324.jpg (322 KB, 680x1036) Image search: [Google]
1419360726324.jpg
322 KB, 680x1036
>>43754303
>plane crashes
I imagine being so triggered would be extremely painful...
>>
>>43758027
>>43758086

These guys are cunts.

>>43758035

This guy is a sage.

Here's my next issue, though: One of my players writes "men with aprons" on a card and hands it to me.
Do you know what all my other players are thinking now? "What triggered him? Was it something *I* did or something the GM did?". Because if someone at the table's fun was disrupted, everyone else at the table is going to care, and not talking about it is going to fuck up -everything-. Now EVERYONE is uncomfortable, not just the player who passed me a card.

Like the author said, I'm sure it becomes more normal as it happens more often.l But if it happens more often then the group had better get used to half-hour gaming sessions because that's about how long I can run on improv before I have to go home and brainstorm.
>>
File: 84yvB5p.jpg (108 KB, 1000x586) Image search: [Google]
84yvB5p.jpg
108 KB, 1000x586
>>43758142
>Some people have genuine issues

In which case they need a psychiatrist, possibly a padded cell, not trigger warnings.

>or would rather not have to deal with certain things

And if they go the trigger warning route about that, they need a big, fat middle finger shoved in their face.

Yeah, I'm not gonna bring up the issue of Israeli foreign politics with a Lebanese around, and the Hitler jokes are cut short with jews in the room, but those who drag in this whole triggers bullshit, yeah, they can Fry.
>>
File: bane.jpg (128 KB, 329x429) Image search: [Google]
bane.jpg
128 KB, 329x429
>>43758179
my trigger is big guys
>>
>>43754496
What must I do to access this secret /tg/ where this is true?
>>
>this is the nth time we've created this thread and we have become exceedingly good at it.meme
>>
>>43758337

Looks like someone just got triggered.
>>
Drawing the veil works fine in my group. I've had to deal with it once in eight years, so.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 250x250
>>43758473
>drawing the veil
>>
File: smirk.jpg (74 KB, 571x800) Image search: [Google]
smirk.jpg
74 KB, 571x800
>The O-Card is an X-Card with an X on one side and an O on the other!

>The O-Card was invented by Kira Scott so that players who want more of specific content can tap the O instead of the X to tell the other players, "More of this!"

My players don't need an O-Card, I can tell when they make an O-Face.
>>
>>43755122
>safe space
I'm gay and i'm literally going to carry around an index card with a dick smashing a vagina because now people are going to carry around triggered cards
>>
>>43758539

Seconding this, the x-card guy recommends and links to it but the link is just a google search for "lines and veils", and of course the top results are all people asking what it is, seems like kind of a dick move.
>>
>>43758634

What are you talking about?
>>
>>43758634
>everyone at the table hold sup a card like that
>Bill's gay, so for him it's an X card
>Bob's straight, so for him it's an O card
>Bert just doodles smut all the time, doesn't give a fuck either way
>Benny's was simply emptying his pockets, he's a biology teacher, had sex ed class earlier today
>We don't think the dog means anything by it, he's just doing tricks for attention

Etc etc ad preposterum
>>
>>43758142
>Some people have genuine issues or would rather not have to deal with certain things, and part of being a good host is to accomodate that.

And part of avoiding things that trigger people is knowing what the fuck is triggering them in the first place.

Angrily tapping the table without a word like a passive-aggressive cunt doesn't tell me what's bothering you.
>>
>>43758918

They aren't "angrily tapping the table without a word like a passive-aggressive cunt" if the GM established a system and specifically told them to express themselves in this way.

I still don't really know how that works, I'm >>43757957. But obviously it works for some people and if it works for them then they aren't doing it wrong. I imagine that the author is just very sensitive and good at reading people and is taking those traits for granted. I consider myself very sensitive to others, but like most people on /tg/ I am also particularly bad at understanding things which are not explicitly stated.
>>
>>43754343
>certine
>cherecter
>>
>>43759081

You know I still don't think I understand what "hugbox" means either.

As far as I can tell it means "place where people go for compassion and emotional support". Why does the internet see this as so sinful? Like, what's the dark side, what's the negative that is being associated with it?
>>
File: fuck-this-gay-earth.jpg (45 KB, 267x385) Image search: [Google]
fuck-this-gay-earth.jpg
45 KB, 267x385
Welp, this thread was nice while it lasted. I don't know what I expected.
>>
>>43756668
Found the spider
>>
File: social justice.jpg (28 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
social justice.jpg
28 KB, 600x400
>>43759142

>As far as I can tell it means "place where people go for compassion and emotional support".

No, hugbox means "place where people go to never have their views or anything else they believe challenged." Stop strawmanning.
>>
>>43759142
"Hugbox" is used as a derisive word for "echo chamber" or "place where someone is coddled."
>>
As a vampire crosses and some

Fuck it I can't finish this post without using x or T, joke abandoned.
>>
>>43759479

I get echo chamber. Is hugbox just another word for echochamber?

I understand echochamber to mean a place where you discuss politics or ideology, and it's bad because if no one is allowed to dissent then there's no real point in discussing politics or ideology. An echo chamber is a place of orthodoxy, it's a place where people go to mindlessly agree with each other and police each other for non-agreement. But people use "hugbox" to describe all kinds of things even when it has nothing to do with people discussing their beliefs. It's not like emotional support and validation are bad in general.

I mostly heard the term on transgender discussion boards where hugboxing is the devil; everyone who posts a picture is ugly and if you can't pass you are filth and should kill yourself, and if you try to say anything positive or uplifting then you're a hugboxer and they hate you. These places are echo chambers.
>>
>>43760551
Hugbox comes from... you know what? type the damn thing into google.
>>
>>43756141
>Drow all blue

Did you attempt rescue breathing?
>>
>Authority Figures
The King has called upon you to- *triggered*

>Pressure
The land is in peril, and it falls to you, the heroes to save it! *triggered*

>Failing
Your roll is one short of the number needed to succeed. *triggered*

>Eating in front of others
You are enjoying a hearty meal in a tavern- *triggered*
>>
>>43754303
>specific smells
"Hey this pie smells like apples"
"I AM TRIGGERED, IT ALLUDES TO SNOW WHITE AND IS MYSOGYNISTIC PLEASE REMOVE"
"ok ok, pears then"
"THAT IS FATPHOBIC REMOVE"
"Jesus, how about bananas or watermelons?"
"YOU RACIST MONSTER!!!"
"K-kiwi?"
"XENOPHOBE"
"Orang..."
"MY GRANDMOTHER WAS A DUTCH JEW, I AM OFFENDED"
"u wot"
>>
>>43761099
>you smell something odd on the wind
>TRY AND CARE ABOUT THE SMELLING-CHALLENGED SOMETIMES SHITLORD
i actually can't smell 300 or so days out of the year so maybe im not the best one to make this joke
>>
File: 1439933363172.jpg (170 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1439933363172.jpg
170 KB, 1280x960
>>43758539
>>43758473
>>43758648
Anyone?
>>
I ate one of these stupid fucking things just to get some tumblrina to stop her bullshit.
>>
>>43761148
Conscious self-mockery is my trigger, you fascist
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.