[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dropfleet/Dropzone Commander
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: BCA.jpg (143 KB, 680x453) Image search: [Google]
BCA.jpg
143 KB, 680x453
The Hypezone Continues

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander

12 days left in the campaign

Dropfleet Commander is a space wargame set in orbital environments developed by Hawk Wargames, who are also the developers of the tactical wargame, Dropzone Commander. Dropfleet Commander is a 1:15000 scale game, with models ranging from 70 to 200 mm; see videos below for an example of play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLDc-iWib48 [Embed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5xe3f5hyGg [Embed]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3e_RNSSST0 [Embed]
>>
We made it to 2500k backers!
>>
>>43753649
Goddamn this looks cool.

Commodore is tempting as fuck.
>>
looks like 500k might be a bridge to far, but definitely get to 400k easy deluxe rule books for everyone..
>>
>>43753660
That's about six times the population of Iceland
>>
>>43754795

yea I don't know where that K came from. I am tarded now.
>>
Pounds are expensive.
>>
>>43753649
Is 2-up some sort of standard terminology that I'm not aware of? Hawk is throwing it around to describe the double sized battleship as though everyone will instantly know what it means.
>>
>>43756850
Its similar to how GW used the term 3-ups when they talk about their 3x sized minis they use to show a new sculpt before they're turned into miniatures.

If I remember correctly they showed off the 3-ups of the Battle for Skull Pass set in the WD that featured them.
>>
>>43757310
That doesn't really answer my question about whether this is some kind of standard terminology. Is it a british thing?
>>
>>43757699

I never heard of it until this thing.
>>
These models look much better than DZC models, to be honest. I was leafing through their website and it's honestly impressive how far they've come. Anyone else feel this way or just me?
>>
>>43759660
Very much so. I never was too in love with DZC, this though seems to fit their chosen aesthetic so much better.
>>
>>43760838
I do enjoy DZC, and the whole drop zone and drop ships business really caught my eye, but the UCM and Scourge just do not do it for me. They're so bland. Glad to see their ships look better, at least.

I'm a huge sucker for walkers. Go PHR and Shaltari.
>>
So, what color schemes is everyone thinking of?

>UCM
Either a grey base with red/maroon instead of white, like Hawk is doing, with some non-metallic gold highlights; maybe if I feel like going full R O M A I'll do a non-metallic gold base with grey details and maroon panels.

>Scourge
Black with dark wash and progressively grey highlighting, and green eyes/details; gotta go full Geiger in this bitch.

>PHR
No idea yet since I don't know what their ships look like in real life, maybe a alabaster plating, grey hull, and so forth? Like a more "pure" version of their ground forces.

>Shaltari
Personally, I really like their standard scheme, but I'm considering a blue/purple ink toning thing like how Dave does it, along with relevant highlights.
>>
>>43760997

I disagree with the Scourge being bland. While they are not my favorite, the have kind of a cool mix of different sci fi styles. (nids+war of the worlds/w fluff themes from The Thing)

I can agree with the UCM stuff. From the first glance the stuff lacked flavor mostly because it was generic human military. I def like where they went with it though. The later stuff is a big improvement and the UCM ships are fucking crushing it big time. Once I saw them it was almost instant sale for me.
>>
>>43761668

For UCM, I am def down with what they have. Maybe a lighter grey with a greenish hint instead of a bluish. I think add red and keeping some white would look great.

Scourge: I am not really sure I like what they have picked for this one. I could see a dark Xenomorph scheme looking great. You are probably on to something.

PHR: I kind of imagine them being whitish also. Like pearl color that makes everything look very sterile.

Shaltari: Hawk made a good pick here. Besides just matching the ground stuff the ships would really feel eldar-y if they used to much yellow or blue. The orange makes them kind of look wilder in my opinion.
>>
File: Hawk Wargames after DFC KS.jpg (24 KB, 288x296) Image search: [Google]
Hawk Wargames after DFC KS.jpg
24 KB, 288x296
>>43755133
You said it.
>>
Anyone in the UK looking to back it but just want the starter set? I kinda want the £110 tier for the extra gubbins, but don't really have a need for two starter sets.
>>
File: Hiigaran_ICF.jpg (122 KB, 640x444) Image search: [Google]
Hiigaran_ICF.jpg
122 KB, 640x444
>>43761668
>UCM
Pic related.
>Scourge
Blood Red.
>PHR
Ceramic white and red.
>Shaltari
Copper/Bronze and brown.
>>
>>43763024
>Ceramic white and red.
Damn, that's good too. Maybe some kind of "tau-like" glyphs on the white armor?
>>
>>43763123
PHR doesn't seem like the kind of people to write on the hull.
>>
>>43763296
Just as decoration, not necessarily as writing. While having a single, solid color on DZC PHR was fine, the amount of continuous, smooth surfaces on DFC PHR would make an unbroken expanse of white look bad, I'd say.

A few simple glyphs to break up the monotony would be cool.

Bonus points if you put Ithkuil on it, as it's the only conlang sufficiently autistic for the PHR.
>>
>>43763355
Ithkuil would be pretty cool.
>>
File: 4545561508_1fbf321ccd.jpg (141 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
4545561508_1fbf321ccd.jpg
141 KB, 500x375
>>43763123
idk its up to you man, I was going with something like pic related.
>>
File: ithkuil.gif (10 KB, 646x370) Image search: [Google]
ithkuil.gif
10 KB, 646x370
>>43763609
>>
>>43763609
>put a simple 4 glyph phrase on both sides of a cruiser
>it roughly translates to "Fuck these stupid un-augmented, I wish I was at home playing tenth-life, my thrusters hurt"
>>
>>43763609
On the other hand it would be nearly impossible to figure out how to write anything Ithkuil
>>
>>43763846
Well, we have 6 months to figure it out.
>>
>>43763846
It's like spoken assembly language
>>
File: 1381108259365.jpg (177 KB, 724x596) Image search: [Google]
1381108259365.jpg
177 KB, 724x596
>>43763844
Do it.
>>
>>43763927
Actually, it's more like what would happen if you wrote assembly language entirely in a priori philosophy, from first cause, while reducing all western concepts; both nouns and verbs and descriptors; into about 3600 root words.

A better comparison would be programming a computer in balanced ternary, rather than binary.
>>
>>43764029
The small number of words in Ithkuil is because it's an unfinished language. It was intended as an exercise in grammar and phonemics, not vocabulary. All ideas cannot be expressed with the 3600 root words defined by the creator.
>>
>>43764091
>All ideas cannot be expressed with the 3600 root words defined by the creator.
I don't know, it looks pretty complete to me.
>>
http://www.ithkuil.net/09_syntax.html

The part on proper nouns from other languages may be of particular importance.
>>
I feel like Hawk dropped the ball a bit with material for the kickstarter. They should at least have had concept art for all of the factions to start with. They really seem to be struggling to keep up.
>>
>>43765119
Looking at their original goal, I honestly don't think they expected this much support. In any case, spacing out the release of faction renders and such was probably a smart move, since it keeps interest up (as shown by this thread).

Did DZC launch with Shaltari and PHR, or was there only the UCM and Scourge during it's formative time?
>>
File: French with Pierrre Escargot.png (332 KB, 481x360) Image search: [Google]
French with Pierrre Escargot.png
332 KB, 481x360
>>43764276
>>43763844
>Tî akt’asalb abjatļud.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

I am painting this on my scourge now.
>>
>>43765428
How long did that take you to translate? Did you bother learning the theory behind the language, or was it possible to just jump straight into translation.

If you would, please do "A frank exchange of opinion"
>>
>>43765428
Slayers or Tormentors?
>>
>>43765468
It's one of the example translations on the website. Believe it or not, that's a common example sentence in discussions of translation.
>>
>>43765587

http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hovercraft.htm
>>
File: my hovercraft is full of eels.jpg (13 KB, 178x41) Image search: [Google]
my hovercraft is full of eels.jpg
13 KB, 178x41
>>43765468
It was on the top of the page here.
http://www.ithkuil.net/texts.html

I wish I knew this. It might be a fun odd hobby to learn this.
>>
>>43765587
>>43765598
That's fucking hilarious.
>>
>Fear is the mind killer
Svuic t ^(h) an-n izadhumsiuţ.
Alright, totally sticking this on a PHR cruiser or something, now I need to figure out how to write it.
>>
>>43765635
Good luck. It uses just about every phoneme and grammatical structure known to man.
>>
>>43765119
They also still don't have dropfleet on their main site. They really need a webmaster.
>>
>>43765468
I'm trying my and at it. I've been working on this for a bit but it's getting late so I'll stop for now.

this is what I have so far.

A

Frank

Exchange -SP-(exchange) informal (1) osp-

of

Opinion -P-(An abstract Concept) upá or -R-(a thought/idea) âr-

-K^h- Social Interaction

-L- Talk

-XT- (effort/work) ?1? ?2? (this stem is also used in place of fighting as in this case fighting == exertion/work&effort)

With the above stems I cant create the following phrases.

>A trade of opions through social interaction.

>A trade of opinions through work.

>A trade of ideas through work/fighting.

>A trade of Ideas thorugh social interaction.
>>
>>43767981
This is the best derailment I've ever seen.

Keep in my that translation may not have just one correct answer.
>>
>>43765264
Launched with 4 factions, gained a 5th about 1/1/2 years after release
>>
>>43767132

There is a banner on their main page.

>>43765264
>>43765119

They were definitely caught by surprise. It is kind of a misstep. However, it is basically irrelevant because they got their support and then some.
>>
>>43759660
I think they're both pretty great. The UCM and Scourge fleets are astonishingly sexy, though, whereas for Dropzone I'd probably go with PHR or Shaltari.
>>
>>43770267
There's a link to the kickstarter. That's it. I would want to have product pages by now.
>>
>>43770858
>>
>>43770858
>>43770924

I'd like to see actual, painted PHR models + frigates for them until I make my mind up personally.
The renders are nice, but until I get an idea of how the real models are put together I wont know for sure.

Knowing more of the rules, maybe even seeing some statblocks for some of the ships would be good as well.
>>
>>43771227
True dat.
>>
>>43770905
Slow down, high speed. The game's not going to be out for like six months.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.