[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Frostgrave Friday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 193x261) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 193x261
Happy Friday, /tg/. Let's talk Frostgrave.

Would appreciate it if someone could please post the links for the the general, don't have them and I'd like to change that.
>>
Alright, been reading through the rules and I'm ready to start putting together my warband. Has /tg/ figured out optimal builds, at this point? Or is everything balanced enough that there's no real "superior loadout?"
>>
>>43738523
Since wizards get extra exp for kills, one of the more fighty types might have an edge (enchanter, elementalist, etc).
Personally I'm hoping to get it for christmas, and maybe go for Summoner. Demons and possess seem good for a close combat fighty wizard.
>>
>>43738571
Good observation, thanks. I've also been talking to people about how they handle snowballing. The popular solution for our local campaign is for the player in the lead to just assemble a new wizard/warband. What solutions have you heard/seen played?
>>
>>43738827
Last week one anon suggested having the creatures specifically target the higher level wizard, though you'd have to houserule how much priority they give (one creature for every level? Just higher odds of the creature going after them?)
>>
>>43738827
That seems quite reasonable, after a while. I mean, you've fought hard to build a good warband and a competent wizard, and as soon as you reach a set lvl or somesuch it drops back to one? That seems a bit harsh, but maybe cut a few levels down to get more even with the other wizards. I haven't seen the problem first hand, but that seems to me like an ok solution. Also doing it like the youtube guys and cutting it to 8 turns per game seems like a good idea. Epic duck, gaming with the cooler and guerilla is doing that, playing a 10-episode thaw of the lich lord campaign.
>>
>>43738827
>>43739340
I think if you're going to retire a warband, you should plan a game that is fitting for the occasion. Something almost akin to the "Over 4000 Retirement Plan" from Necromunda: pit that toughened, high-level warband against something that will challenge them, with an objective that will let them retire once captured or achieved.
>>
>>43739340
>>43739794
I phrased it wrong: The player in the lead doesn't have to retire his higher level wizard, he just lets them take a hiatus until others catch up.
>>
Any recommendations on cheap terrain or accessories I can use to make a table?
>>
I just got a box of soldiers and I'm excited to start on them. What models have you among used for your warbands?
>>
>>43741445
You anons*
>>
>>43741445
I'm going to take a bunch of pygmy trolls from Warmachine and convert them.
>>
I ask this every time, but does anyone have a decent .pdf of the Rulebook?

The one in the OP of the generals that is floating about has page gaps and split tables and stuff, would be terrible to print out.

>>43741445

I use a mix of Heroquest and Warhammer Quest models, and proxy the creatures too (Goblin>Skeleton, Orc>Armoured Skeleton etc.)

>>43741102

Check out this plog on Whineseer, he's used Amera plastic moudlings, they're damn cheap and look great.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?411785-Harry-does-Frostgrave
>>
>>43741445
I've been using Warmachine models since those are the only models I have.
>>
To anybody who has got the soldiers, how are they to assemble?
>>
>>43738511
i havent looked at the book yet, but ive watched a few of ashs' bat reps on his gueriila whatever youtube, and it seems you need lots of terrain for this game.
is that true, or does he just overdo itb ecause he has all that neat stuff? because i have a minimalists amount of terrain right now, but want to try out this game
>>
>>43742094
Reading through the rulebook, it suggests you include as much terrain as possible. I'm going to use comic boxes and other miscellaneous supplies until I finish preparing proper terrain.
>>
Some guy over at the Lead-Adventurers forum posted more bases and resources that his group homebrewed over at his blog.
>>
I'm interested in this game but not sure. Seems like Mordheim but with less story.
>>
>>43745392
Why less? mordheim had pretty rudimentary story too, if you took it at it's own and not "warhammer skirmish".
>>
It has just about as much story as Mordheim or Necromunda, if you detach the 40k or WHF setting from them. It's a standard D&D trope world with some wizards.

Recommended.
>>
>>43738511
>Would appreciate it if someone could please post the links for the the general, don't have them and I'd like to change that.
Here you go

Frostgrave: Fantasy Wargames in the Frozen City
(it's actually a skirmish game desu)

>What is it?
Skirmish fantasy game, 10 models per player max, you play wizards leading a band of hirelings into battles over treasure

>Appeals?
Campaig rules, discovering treasure, levelling up

Semi-back/forth activation system during turns

Run, jump, climb, just as you'd expect from a skirmish game

Streamlined rules and combat resolution, it's one die roll, love it or hate it.

Wandering monsters

You already have a lot of reaper bones miniatures, why not try out the pdf with a friend or two?

>Resources
FAQ thread where you can ask to Joseph A. McCullough, Frostgrave designer (forum handle joe5mc)
http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80477.0

>Online warband creator
http://www.battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html

>Rulebook:
https://mega.co.nz/#!CVF3GTIS!i0V9IaACpjj1s1Bq2wqvZII5T5ad8UULZYWW3mpefc0

>Warhammer Townscapes: old school Warhammer Fantasy print buildings
https://mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

>Official Miniatures
20x Soldiers and a lot of bits
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7467

>Wizard sheet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXdkRYZlM5TjhRSDA/view?usp=sharing
>spell cards
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXV3psZ0hOT1AwMEE/view?usp=sharing

Don't forget - you can use any miniatures from any manufacturer, regardless of their race - just make them obvious what they are (ie the soldier archetypes have set gear, the mini should have that, or your soldiers should follow a

logical or consistent progression)

Don't use a goblin for a thug, and then another goblin who looks exactly the same except he's got a red belt so that makes him a treasure hunter.
>>
>>43748838
cont'd

>"Required" scenery and minis to set up the 10 scenarios in the book
6 special treasure token - 3 per player (These are your mission objectives during most scenarios and the standard game)

By Scenario:
>The Mausoleum
6x6 inches piece of scenery - the mausoleum. Ideally with a door on each of the four sides.
An unspecified number of skeletons.
>Genie in a Bottle
A Genie Miniature or anything else that you could count as greater Demon.
>The Silent Tower
At least 10 inch+ high tower with three storeys minimum.
Two other buildings with walkways to connect them to the tower.
>The Library
Enough walls to build a Zone Mortalis kind of board with narrow corridors.
Four doorways, one for each side of the board.
>The Living Museum
6x Statues.
Enough broken wall sections to make a 12x12 ruined building.
>The Worm Hunts
One giant worm miniature.
>The Haunted Houses
6 small buildings without roof.
6 wraiths.
>The Well of Dreams and Sorrows
A well.
>The Keep
4x 2" diameter discs - Teleporters
>The Complex Temple
6 columns or ruined columns (or re-use the statues)
>>
>>43739044
That's actually a scenario fom Joseph McCulloughs blog.
Worth a look. Sounds fun.

>>43741102
Googling around for mordheim scenery is also good.
I have a bunch of aquarium decorations that I plan on converting a little and some ruined farmhouses from Warlord to get me started.
And a box filled with foamboard, I haven't gotten around to building anything yet though.

>>43741445
Recently got a box of Fireforge Games foot seargeants. 40 dudes in a box. Plan to convert them a little and make a few warbands with that.
I also had a look at some of the LotR plastic boxes. Those look pretty sexy and would be easy to convert. Swapping a spear or a sword for a bow for example.
>>
>>43741608
>The one in the OP of the generals that is floating about has page gaps and split tables and stuff, would be terrible to print out.
Tbh I'd just buy the book. The ink/toner you''ll spend on printing the book in it's entirety would be not much cheaper than buying it. I mean it costs 15 bucks, so it's not a huge investment either way.
>>
>>43746345
I think mainly it's due to the lack of factions as such. Mordheim had six great factions to choose from each with its own feel, backstory, and distinct minis. Frostgrave has ten different schools of magic. However your wizard can cast spells from seven of these schools and your henchmen are generic across the all schools. This homogenous nature of warbands leads me to say it has less story. When I look at two warbands in frostgrave not only is it hard for me to distinguish between the forces on the tabletop. I don't instantly know what personal motivations are for the characters. Sisters of Sigmar, Witch Hunters, Skaven, Cult of the Possesed, etc.When I see them on the table I know why they are fighting who are the good guys, who are the bad guys, and who are the ugly guys,
>>
>>43750755
Also not hating on the game. I'm honestly interested in playing it. The rules look solid and unique. It's just my interest is tempered by lack of variety. I hope the upcoming expansion and new box of cultists will bring some of the flavor that I feel is missing.
>>
>>43750783
variety is in what you bring to the table.
>>
>>43750755
Have you actually watched the game being played? Its not like everyone is using the official minis box painted the same way for their warbands.

And there are no good or bad guys.
>>
>>43750755

The lack of variety/growth of minions is something I'm not a huge fan of.

I have a lot of fun memories of having several progressing heroes and hencemen who could become heroes.
>>
>>43741608
So would this pyramid, one of the big hills, some tall columns and then a few ruined buildings/hills/stands of trees be enough cover for a normal 4x4 board game?
>>
>>43750755
>>43750783

If I wanted to be a bellend I'd point out that because the units are generic Frostgrave has infinite variety and factions since you can use whatever you want and since the plot is just "Find magic artifacts" you can fill in the gaps yourself with whatever plot and motivations you want.

When I bring my Beastmen to the table it's just as obvious that they are the bad guys as if I was playing Mordheim so I'm really not seeing your point.

I will admit that variety can back fire since a friend of mine is making a chronomancer warband based on Dr fucking Who which I think is the worst fucking idea that anyone has ever had but whatever.
>>
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 404x599) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 404x599
Guys, please help me. Looking to stat the perfect muscle wizard.
>>
>>43753654
>it's just as obvious that they are the bad guys as if I was playing Mordheim so I'm really not seeing your point.
Consider that Mordheim (and Necromunda and Gorka Morka) concealed lack of tabletop balance with the LOL Random experience system. A system that could mean you weren't playing two games a night, by the way.
Some of Mordheim's variety was false, as the factions were more about limiting choices, or saying that these guys with the system generic "hand weapon" have axes while those guys have swords, and some people only use bows, or only use javelins, or only use throwing axes., or only use crossbows. Or the later faction that is boned for normals but can take a monster.

Make your own variety in Frostgrave with your minis and choice of Wizard. This is not rocket surgery.
>>
>>43754687

Pretty much I mean in Necromunda all the variety came from skill lists and house weapon lists both of which were horrendously poorly balanced.

I mean every single ganger in a Van Saar gang can take tech skills which means they make money faster than any other faction in the game and they are also the only faction that can take plasma guns as a starting weapon which is easily the best weapon in the game. A heavy ganger with 2 plasma guns is more mobile than a heavy bolter, more reliable, does more damage and is cheaper.
>>
>>43754953
Meanwhile, in Frostgrave, we just have 15 soldier types and ten Wizards...
>>
>>43755373

Whats the actual number of wizards though?

If you include every possible variation of schools of magic and spells how many different types are there?
>>
>>43755373
Hold on. With Thaw of the Lich Lord out, that is now 19 soldiers. Of course, two of those are the dog and a pack mule...
>>
>>43755458

What are the other 2?
>>
>>43755470
The new types are the Pack Mule (who is actually human; essentially Nodwick), the Crow Master, the Bard, and the Javelineer.
>>
>>43755440
>If you include every possible variation of schools of magic and spells how many different types are there?
Considering there is not upper limit in terms of levels, you could theoretically learn a spell with each level and you can use spells from any school, even opposed ones as it just means a bigger penalty for casting... a lot.

Yeah. I mean the flavor obviously comes with how you play it. For example I'm gonna use a flesh golem when I build a construct with a necromancer. If my summoner has an arabian theme I'm gonna my my demons genies etc.
>>
>>43755458
>>43755470
>>43755593
One of them is the crow master. There's also gonna be a bard and a javelineer.
More info here
http://nstarmagazine.com/FROSTGRAVE_LICH_LORD.htm
>>
>>43755808
Going to be? The PDF is aailable. You're only waiting if you need dead tree.
>>
>>43755787

I mean starting/pick up games.
>>
So, pdfs of Thaw, anyone?
>>
>>43755859
Yeah I just noticed that looking at the nickstarter too.
Gotta order my dead tree version now.
>>
Bump.

Waiting for my dead tree Thaw to ship, along with some otherstuff I ordered.
>>
>>43755808

So whats a crow master?
>>
File: 2C7A3820.jpg (1 MB, 1536x1546) Image search: [Google]
2C7A3820.jpg
1 MB, 1536x1546
>>43741102
Just make some yourself anon, I just made up a bunch for a guy recently and made some extra for myself (he didnt want snow on it so it could be used for mordheim too)

Its all mostly balsa and foamboard
>>
>>43752930
Anybody?
>>
>>43762353

Hard to say without the dimensions.

Crossbows and bows have a max range of 24" but the rules do state that they should rarely be able to shoot at that distance, it's also important to keep in mind that most spells don't have a range and are solely dependant on LoS so having long unobstructed fire lanes will make wizards and apprentices more dominating than they should be.

DESU I think Frostgrave is quite similar to Infinity when it comes terrain, scatter terrain is the key more so than large terrain pieces or your soldiers will just get magic missiled before getting a chance to do anything or worse everyone will just use nothing but archers.
>>
>>43761347
I presume a soldier with a familiar? Or another way aside from Mage's eye to fuck with LoS spells maybe?
I really don't know. Just posted the model cause it looked cool to me desu.

>>43762769
>I think Frostgrave is quite similar to Infinity when it comes terrain, scatter terrain is the key more so than large terrain pieces or your soldiers will just get magic missiled before getting a chance to do anything or worse everyone will just use nothing but archers.
Kind of. If you don't have any multi-story buildings you miss out on a lot of cool stuff.

There are loads of ways you can move your soldiers or the treasure via magic or regular movement. At the end of each combat phase you also have a chance to throw you opponent.
So if you use positioning cleverly you can outmaneuver and essentially throw enemy soldier or a sorcerer - should you be that lucky - off a roof.
Also as per the rules for the various scenarios you need at the very least two two- or three-story buildings and a tower of at least 10 inches with 3 stories.
Scatter terrain alone is not really gonna give you the framework to experience the tactical depth the rules offer.
>>
>>43756271
Anybody?
>>
File: FGCS_Fillable_1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
FGCS_Fillable_1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43738511
>>43748838
You're welcome
(It's fallible)
>>
File: FGCS_Fillable_1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
FGCS_Fillable_1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43764200
Fixed the first/second soldier slot's text inconsistencies
>>
One bump. It's friday somewhere.
>>
>>43762960
>>43761347
Buy a Rookery for your base, hire a Crow Master. The Crow has its own stat bloc. Crows get auto-replaced between games as needed.
>>
>>43767750
What about Mule and Bard?
>>
>>43768085
Bump
>>
>>43762769
Have to be careful with that though, if its just cover terrain then that only helps ranged soldiers.

Needs to have plenty of stuff that is taller than the models.
>>
>>43768085
Pack Mule is a dude who carries stuff and can swap with others close to him.
Bard is a Will booster.
>>
My copy of Thaw of the Liche Lord just shipped so should be here soon.

I've actually already built one of my thugs with a horn so I might use him as a bard now.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.