[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /hist/ think of backgammon as a game of strategy? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9
File: Backgammon_lg.png (2 MB, 1428x930) Image search: [Google]
Backgammon_lg.png
2 MB, 1428x930
What does /hist/ think of backgammon as a game of strategy? How does it compare to other games like Chess, go and Reversi and certain card games? I think its the perfect gauge of strategy if you play it right (match of numerous games over just one) because there is just enough of an element of chance as there needs to be. Chance and uncertainty is a fundamental aspect of life and war.
>>
File: Chinese Chess Set (2D).jpg (69 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
Chinese Chess Set (2D).jpg
69 KB, 640x427
>>43737103
general abstract strategy game thread
>>
Objectively the best board game ever developed
>http://www.lutanho.net/play/hnefatafl.html
>>
File: 9 mens morris.gif (5 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
9 mens morris.gif
5 KB, 500x500
>>43737104
>>
File: BeadlesHnefatafl.jpg (298 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
BeadlesHnefatafl.jpg
298 KB, 1280x960
>>43737106
>>43737105
what makes this objectively the best strategy game?
>>
File: Go_game.jpg (217 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Go_game.jpg
217 KB, 1024x768
>>43737107
>>
File: bao.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bao.jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
>>43737108
>>
File: shogiboard.jpg (77 KB, 766x465) Image search: [Google]
shogiboard.jpg
77 KB, 766x465
>>43737109
>>
File: othello_03.jpg (97 KB, 720x479) Image search: [Google]
othello_03.jpg
97 KB, 720x479
>>43737110
>>
>>43737103
>>/tg/
>>
What are you ranks in Go?
>>
>>43737112
I think it would be interesting to discuss it here. I wanna hear your guys perspectives on it and especially how each pertains to strategy and war.

>>43737113
I dont have one. I would like to get into it more.
>>
>>43737114
It's one of those games which blend luck and skill, once you get over a certain point of experience, it ultimately boils down to luck, so it's not really the best "strategic" board game.

I don't see any way how it relates to war, chess is often regarded as a strategic game because it's won by utilizing values often used by military commanders, which are usually intelligence, strategy, tactics, positional advantage and utilizing the strength of each piece in the most beneficial way.
>>
>>43737114
Use online-go.com or KGS servers as there is the biggest number of beginners ( like me , ~ 12kyu) there .
If you would like to improve faster check out Nick Sibicky videos, or dwyrin .
Start with the 9x9 board as the normal 19x19 is too big for most people and generally they feel lost not knowing how to achieve anything. 9x9 is much more focused on fighting, which is the tactical side and the one to improve before you approach the strategical one.
>>
>>43737115
The fact that you play it over a series of games you can gauge your enemies strategies and learn their play more. Also the use of the doubling cube and the element of risk taking and all of that. The element of chance and using chance to your advantage or manipulating it is something that I think Backgammon has that chess doesnt which is a real determining factor in real life conflict. Its about dealing with uncertainty.
>>
File: risk-1.jpg (186 KB, 500x336) Image search: [Google]
risk-1.jpg
186 KB, 500x336
>its just luck
That's what losers with no risk management skills say
>>
>>43737117
Oh, of course, the same could be applied to games like Poker too.

But, I still find Chess to be a better indicator of Strategical knowledge, since you don't get fucked over by luck, even though you might have been a better strategist than your opponent. The point that you are dealing with uncertainty become pretty much obsolete when playing at a higher level, although it is a good trait for a military leader to be able to adapt (one trait which has won and lost wars for some commanders)

Mahjong is a great example of luck and strategy too, check that out, athough you should really post this to /tg/ instead
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.