[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw like three people in my group bought this book >adventure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 383x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 383x499
>mfw like three people in my group bought this book
>adventure league rules only recognizes a few of the additions

this is pretty bad as far as gameplay goes
>>
>>43734236
Everything in the book is Adventure League legal except for flying tieflings and rare elf subraces.
>>
>Doing the Adventure League
you chose your future.
>>
>>43734236

Meh, the book should have been like $10 to be honest.

Nothing really neat added except for monks pulling off hadokens and shit now. That is pretty bad ass.
>>
File: 1b5.jpg (35 KB, 293x636) Image search: [Google]
1b5.jpg
35 KB, 293x636
Every thing except the tiefling wings in there are legal. The several notes from the AL site clearly state that. Unless you're full daft and can't read that.
Tieflings can't have a fly speed, but can take vestigial wings as part of the alternate appearance option. Bladesingers and Battleragers are race limited (Elves and dwarves respectively). Rare elves aren't statted, but you can play one and use an existing elf subrace's stats to represent that. I'm not saying that, either, the AL site notes explicitly brought up that point. (It sucks that a half sea-elf gets better statting potential than a real one, but oh well.)
Even that DM fiat Inheritor background has a set of rules for AL, and you can get an item worth up to 75g with a minor magical quirk as a starting item.
>>
>>43734725
It's a fluff book, not a crunch book.
>>
If Gary Gygax came back from the dead to write one more D&D book, the Adenture League would not allow it.
>>
>>43734236
>AL
That's like PFS, pure shit.
>>
Is the book even good, or am I better off with the AD&D Forgotten Realms box that I already have?
>>
>>43736686
>Is the book even good
It's 5e, bro. It can't be good.
>>
>>43736686

Considering how 5e forgotten realms mostly tries to pretend 4e never happened you are honestly better off with AD&D. It makes more sense and involves less 'Wait, what happened to X and why is Y back to how it was before the last apocalypse?'
>>
>>43736716
Eh. 4E FR book wasn't much but the Neverwinter book was pretty awesome. I'm well aware that WotC can be pretty uneven when it comes to quality.
>>
>>43736726
Eh. That seems pretty weak. On the one hand, I didn't care for whatever the fuck that worlds-colliding thing was supposed to be. On the other hand, I liked the whole spell plague, even though goddess-of-magic bit it again. I mean, I can't dislike anything that gets rid of Elminster.
>>
>>43736746
SCAG has a bunch of almost in-universe retcons. Basically all of the gods that died during the Time of Troubles and Spellplague are now "alive", and the gods are more disconnected from their followers, leading to the assumption that the tablets of fate were changed after being found to modify the "rules" of godhood. As such, Mystra is alive again. The worlds un-collided during the Sundering (end of Spellplague) as well. Unther landed back on top of Tymanther and is now at a siege war with the few resilient pockets of dragonborn clans at the edge of the territory, with no end in sight. Halruua was revealed to have seen the plague oncoming and teleported anything important to a demiplane, and has now moved back in place. Most of the chasms and damage to the earth has been either repaired or the land has "regrown". Tieflings now bear no mention of that old empire; now, a plot by Asmodeus ~100 years before [current time] used the volatile spellplague magic to turn every tiefling in the setting to his bloodline, hence the reason for their being mostly homogenized.
>>
>>43737368

Yeah, that really does tick me off.

It's just such a dull way of doing it. Nearly as bad as 'Yeah, most of the big NPCs are back alive again due reincarnation bullshit'
>>
>>43736541
>paying for fluff
>>
>>43737386
It's less of a "Hey all of our buddies are alive!" since the gods are now apparently still forbidden from directly appearing, and in fact have reduced the influence of chosen, and more of a "We can barely hear any of the gods anymore, but still tap into their power as always. Wait, you can reach it with Bhaal/Tyr/Myrkul's name again? They must live on!"
Well, except for Bhall, who's rebirth was out of a noble who turned out to be his chosen, and he cut a murder swath through a city before reascending.
>>
>>43737420
>It's less of a "Hey all of our buddies are alive!"

I meant how Drizzt's buddies all got reincarnated so he can keep going on adventures with them.
>>
>>43734236
>Adventure League
What stupid nonsense is this.
>>
>>43737386
>Nearly as bad as 'Yeah, most of the big NPCs are back alive again due reincarnation bullshit'
But don't you see? Salvatore can kill them off again and we'll get another 20 years of Drizzt angst out of it. The status quo prevails again!
>>
>>43737428
It's not so bad. It all depends on you FLGS
>>
>>43737368
It's fine for what it is: an update to the standard FR setting. A bit overpriced, but I wanted to know what the state of the world was in 5E and this delivers.

It's much better written than the 4E FRCS and much shorter and easier for new players to swallow than the massive 3E FRCS.

1E FRCS still best though the graphic layout was awful.
>>
>>43737368
>As such, Mystra is alive again
Which one? The one from 3.5 or before?
>>
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 461x109) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13 KB, 461x109
Superior setting inbound.
>>
>>43737952
That's not Spelljammer.
>>
>>43737970
No, it's not goofy hippos in pith helmets.
>>
>>43738166
Illithids are superior to all.
>>
File: tumblr_mqzcpdC1gP1rnixfao1_500.png (828 KB, 500x563) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mqzcpdC1gP1rnixfao1_500.png
828 KB, 500x563
>>43738166
>>
>>43736666
AL is on a whole other level of shit than PFS
>>
>>43738402
I've heard more good things about AL than PFS.

PFS I've heard nothing but "These are the people who are actively kicked out of real groups and have no where else to go, and are just as bad as you think" where AL I know a lot of people getting into the hobby for the first time, with a smattering of the aforementioned That Guys.
>>
>>43738427
In my experience, AL is all That Guys who can't stick a real group and new players, while PFS is just packed with crunch monkeys and people getting back into the game after not playing for years.

But I also recognize that my local PFS is unusual in being entirely bearable.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.