[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mfw I'm the paladin, warrior against evil, is being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 17
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 300x172) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 300x172
>mfw I'm the paladin, warrior against evil, is being healed and helped out by the party necromancer
>mfw our characters start being pretty good bros/bro+sis, despite our completely opposite beliefs

Post your odd alliances?
>>
I played in a game where the paladin and the assassin got along like a house on fire.
The paladin would slap him round the head whenever he suggested something stupid.

Hell, the Assassin went on to put unholy enchantments on all his weapons so he could insta-kill anything the paladin couldn't with his holy weapons
>>
File: 1413730052333.jpg (48 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1413730052333.jpg
48 KB, 499x499
>>43729056
>He is a by-the-books paladin
>He is a renegade necromancer who doesn't play by the rules
>Together, they fight crime
>>
>>43729499
>SHE'S a by the books paladin
>>
>>43729499
>>43729600

Love it!
>>
>>43729056
Is your paladin a wood elf?
>>
>>43729056
Care to share some details about the necromancer? Because I could see a subset trying to help people by acts such as finding out why a restless spirit rose and helping them move on. Made a few characters based around helping the dead come to terms with their departure from the mortal coil, though those games tended to die fast due to real life issues.
>>
>>43730655
Too bad you couldn't use your necromantic powers on the game.

I love the concept of a psychopomp necromancer.

Or a detective necromancer.

Or a utilitarian dictator necromancer.
>>
>>43730695
Yeah, and it was gonna be good, too. I was helping a pc playing the lover of one of my guy's cousins hunt down her soul after a magical accident cast it from said cousin's body and into the world, and another whose family was cursed by a god of plague and pestilence with different kinds of bird lycanthropy (or, well, got turned into birds. It was close enough that a bit of backstory magic managed to get her to be a cursed lycanthrope instead of a cursed bird), and we were also helping her find the rest of her family in exchange for being my absent-minded necromancer's assistant. Mainly because he could really use another set of hands to help out at times, and who knew how long this was going to take anyway, so why not help the guy helping you? Main reason why he was absent minded was because he tended to lose sleep from all the stuff he had to do, but getting to call power from those wronged by those you fought was fun.
>>
>>43729056
Anima argese(Super christian not!spaniard) who abuses sneak.
His (adopted) brother is a daimah.

They slay heretic witches
>>
>>43729499
>Dammit, Necromancer! You don't play by the rules!
>I get criminals off of the streets!
>By raising their dead bodies! We can't even question them because they're just zombies!
>I don't care if you question my methods, chief. You can't take me off this case.
>I'm not. But I am assigning you a new partner. One that will keep you in line and out of the morgue!
>>
>>43729056
>>43729600
Holy shit, something exactly like this happened in a campaign my friends were in; the necromancer was a dude who'd had an abusive wife so bad he had a phobia of women, and had actually first taken up necromancy specifically to make absolutely certain she was completely and utterly unable to come back in any shape or form. I know it sounds bad, but watching him start panicking every time anything with tits showed up was pretty funny.
Anyway, the paladin took it upon herself to help him get over his fear (this led to many instances of him running around in terror as this sweet kinda-clumsy paladin tries to calm him down with a hug, which made things worse... they were practically a comedy routine, and their tendency to roll poorly for these things certainly didn't help...)
ANYway, they eventually started making progress, the necromancer stopped breaking into a cold sweat whenever our quest-giver was female... then he ended up getting drunk due to other party members, and in his drunken stupor decides that he really wants to kiss the paladin.
So of course he rolls a crit.
Much awkwardness ensued, some stuff happened unrelated to their personal relationship, things escalated, and they eventually quit beating around the bush and hooked up. Never got far enough for "intimate intimacy," trauma takes a while to work through, and his had reached a point of "if it's you it's okay," so of course our next quest-giver was a countess who hated necromancy.
>>
>>43730983
love it
>>
File: the good necromancer.png (53 KB, 1231x681) Image search: [Google]
the good necromancer.png
53 KB, 1231x681
>>43729056
There's nothing inherently wrong with necromancy
>>
>>43730983
>You're a loose cannon, Necromancer.
>But you're a damn good cop.
>>
Seriously though, what are some other oddball matchups? There's gotta be an anon with a story out there somewhere.
>>
A paladin shouldn't even be in the same party as a necromancer. Even if they help one another, the necromancer still breaks every single belief the paladin holds and every oath he made to whatever order he's from. Unless the paladin is totally fine with him fucking up people from beyond the grave and performing unnatural acts, which a paladin is supposed to stop at all costs, but in that case he's not really a paladin and at that point has fallen.

So, no, you're not a paladin anymore.
>>
>>43731032
Why would you roll to kiss someone?

>>43733526
>
>>
>>43733526

But there is. Necromancy works by ripping souls out of the afterlife, binding them to your will, and using them for some end. Even if that end is good, that does not make necromancy good because it still relies on basically the slavery of souls, and people aren't gonna be cool with that.

It's like the old saying: the road to hell is paved with good intentions. A lot of terrible shit is great in theory, but the means to get there are so bad that nobody's gonna fucking do it.
>>
>>43735319
fuck off, dude. "Paladin" means being the knight in shining armor, an exemplar of virtue, a chosen warrior of your diety. There is nothing in that that states he cannot party with a necromancer.
By your logic, a Paladin shouldn't be in the same party as a rogue, because he sneaks around and breaks the law. Or a Barbarian, because they're too bloodthirsty and a paladin shouldn't associate with such a wanton killer.
tl;dr, you don't decide what other people can and cannot do.
>>43735366
Is that how necromancy works? Are you sure it's not animating dead bodies with your own magical energy to make them perform tasks for you?
I mean, it's not like we're playing a fantasy game, right? It's all gotta work following the exact same set of rules.
>>
>>43735366
You dont necessarily have to take peoples souls. Corpses, yes, but you can leave their souls sittin pretty in the afterlife.
>>
>>43735366
>Necromancy works by ripping souls out of the afterlife
Uh, no. A lot of time, no.
The only undead things that fuck with the soul are lich (and you do it to yourself) and vampire (and that's not done by a necromancer)

Regular old skellingtons are just animated leftovers.
>>
>>43733569

>Gods damn it, Necromancer! The king is chewing my ass out over here after you and Paladin slaughtered that entire cultist den disguised as an orphanage!
>But we knew they were cultists, we saw them! And the others are getting ready to rise up and attack the city!
>You need evidence, Necromancer! You too, Paladin! You can't just take the law into your own hands like this! You guys are off the case! Give me your badges.
>You thinking what I'm thinking, Nec?
>Always, Pally. Let's get 'em.
>>
File: 1411785115808.jpg (8 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
1411785115808.jpg
8 KB, 241x209
>>43735319
And Elves and Dwarves are their own class.
>>
>>43735401

>"Paladin" means being the knight in shining armor, an exemplar of virtue,

>works with a glorified grave robber defiling the dead and the natural order

>this is okay for a paladin to do according to you

Yeah, nah, you're an anti-paladin or a fallen paladin, not a real paladin. To be a paladin you have to actually strictly abide by clear morals and virtues; which necromancy breaks no matter how you slice it.
>>
>>43735454
>To be a paladin you have to actually strictly abide by clear morals and virtues; which necromancy breaks no matter how you slice it.
How so?
>>
>>43735494

Because, as you said, a paladin is someone who must be an exemplar of virtue and aligned with what is good. They fight against evil things and things that corrupt people/nature/order. Things a necromancer inevitably goes against.

A necromancer works by going against the natural order (not good in the vast majority of fantasy systems), possibly fucking with souls in the afterlife, raises the undead (these are someone's loved ones and desecrating them isn't very good, imagine someone you loved died and some guy now has her ragged corpse working for him), and it goes on and on.

A paladin would kill a necromancer on sight. Assuming they work together to bring down some greater evil, it'd be a short lived alliance and once the fight is over, their feud would begin. That's not to say OP can't play how he wants, but then he would have to say he's a fallen paladin or whatever since he's clearly bending the rules rather than following them, which paladins don't do. And in most systems he'd be taking an alignment penalty of some kind.
>>
>>43735546
>going against the natural order
What natural order? Raising dead material? Moving around compost? Relocating worm-food? It's all inanimate. If undead are against the natural order, than so are constructs.

>possibly fucking with souls in the afterlife.
Possibly. And possibly conjuration spells take valuable angels from the Upper Planes.

>desecration
Culturally proportionate. It might very well be that a culture views the undead as a form of honorary ancestor worship, a la Morrowind.

>clearly bending the rules rather than following them
Whose rules? Maybe his god's okay with undead. Maybe it's a chaotic god that just doesn't give a fuck.
>>
>>43735546
>Because, as you said, a paladin is someone who must be an exemplar of virtue and aligned with what is good.
Not the same guy, but one does not preclude the other. There's nothing about associating with specific people that requires not being a virtuous being. Jesus hung with lepers and whores.

It's about what he does, that defines his character's morality.

>They fight against evil things and things that corrupt people/nature/order. Things a necromancer inevitably goes against.
There's nothing moral about necromancy. Arcane magic is akin to science... knowledge to be discovered and explored. Nothing inherent in necromancy stipulates that there would be no means to have ethics.

>A necromancer works by going against the natural order (not good in the vast majority of fantasy systems),
If it exists, it's natural. In old D&D, undeath comes from the negative energy plane... which is as natural as every other elemental plane.

>possibly fucking with souls in the afterlife,
Is it still wrong if the soul consented? Why?

>raises the undead (these are someone's loved ones and desecrating them isn't very good, imagine someone you loved died and some guy now has her ragged corpse working for him),
If I could have my corpse continue to help and serve my family after my death, I'd gladly do it.

It's only unethical if the family (or decedent) is against it.
and it goes on and on.
>>
>>43735546
One, that anon isn't me, and two, you're sounding like that guy who says Paladins can't work with rogues because they break the law.
I hope you don't run any campaigns, because you sound like one of those DMs who would kill any fun by being an absolute dick about everything.
>you can't be friends because your races are opposed!
>you can't be friends because your nations are at war!
Paladins are not supposed to be Lawful Retarded. They are supposed to be GOOD. That means not killing someone who's actively helping pursue a larger goal and NOT wantonly murdering innocents simply because of the type of magic he uses.
>>
File: 1439358941053.gif (795 KB, 245x168) Image search: [Google]
1439358941053.gif
795 KB, 245x168
>Young human fisherman
>Adult Kenku bard
>Adult orc shipwright
>Adult mermaid ranger
>Older goblin pirate captain

All together on a small voyaging canoe. Setting was a completely flooded world.
>>
>>43735630

>What natural order? Raising dead material? Moving around compost? Relocating worm-food? It's all inanimate. If undead are against the natural order, than so are constructs.

Yeah, dead shit isn't supposed to be rising up and moving around. And, yes, in most fantasy settings like DnD constructs aren't natural things.

>Culturally proportionate. It might very well be that a culture views the undead as a form of honorary ancestor worship, a la Morrowind.

Possible in the setting. There's some cultures that eat the dead, burn them, all sorts of shit in real life. But most people don't have that in their setting and it'd be seen as desecration. OP didn't actually say what the setting was like.

>Whose rules? Maybe his god's okay with undead. Maybe it's a chaotic god that just doesn't give a fuck.

But then he would've said anti-paladin or fallen paladin. Just "paladin" implies a knight that has taken the hard road of discipline and virtue above all else. They can fall and be chaotic or be chaotic from the start and be a paladin for a chaotic god, but that's why there's separate terms to refer to them.

And, again, I'm not saying OP cannot play how he wants. Hell, the idea in this thread about the buddy cop necromancer and paladin is probably something I'll use in one of my games, but if he's playing it straight then he's fucking it up pretty hard. Especially if the setting doesn't justify it in some way.
>>
File: I guess.png (63 KB, 321x357) Image search: [Google]
I guess.png
63 KB, 321x357
>>43735696
I still think that 'against the natural order' thing is bullshit, but I've thought that since Middle School. Negative Energy's a core elemental plane and everything. Hell, what even is Negative Elemental Energy when you get down to it?
>>
>>43735423
What about every single incorporeal undead creature? Shadows, wraiths, ghosts, anything like that would be a soul dragged out of the afterlife and bound to your will. Skeletons and zombies, perhaps, but there are also questions as to how the sapient undead would work in the whole "souls or no souls" department. Also there tends to be the fact where if they get out of your control somehow they tend to wreak havoc upon the living.
>>
>>43735696
>And, yes, in most fantasy settings like DnD constructs aren't natural things.
Constructs are not undead, and not all undead are constructed. Some undead are natural (depends on the setting).

>OP didn't actually say what the setting was like.
Which is why it's idiotic to say that it only makes sense with an anti-paladin. His character concept would have no problem on Eberron, or in more recent editions of D&D, for example.
>>
>>43735758
That's another thing; where the Hell do summoned incorporeal undead come from? It can't be the Outer Planes, because the whole deal is that they're souls that didn't pass on. So where are they coming from?
>>
>>43730983
>>43729499
Book it.
>>
>>43735812
Well, the naturally occurring ones are spirits that couldn't pass on at least. Who knows for the ones created though. Although I would imagine that anyone who dies in the Negative Energy Plane would have their soul trapped there too and eventually become a naturally occurring incorporeal undead.
>>
>>43730983
>>43733569
cracked me up
I'll try to set up something like that for my next game
>>
>>43735454
>>43735319
What about a necromancer who steals the undead from the control of fouler sorts? They are a staple of enemy forces after all, so usurping the villain's hold on them to let the corpses tear into their defiler, then sending them to their rest sounds like something a good aligned necromancer might do. Besides which, OP never elaborated on the kind of necromancer he has. Might not be the zombie horde style, maybe they just like negative energy a lot.
>>
All this 'good necromancer' stuff is retarded as all hell. Undead vary from setting to setting, but most of the time raising undead is something explicitly stated as evil or a bad thing (3.5/pf for example).

But this is even more retarded because necromancers don't necessarily have to raise undead. This is just a flawed premise.
>>
>>I'm a factotum, a highly intelligent individual that can adapt to any and all situations, able to solve most things with power of brain and inspiration to things with some degree of finesse. Highly charismatic, intelligent and dextrous. Six foot three of lean muscle. My strength is not up to par for adventuring life, but with brain power alone it should suffice.

>>Joined by a uncouth barbarian warblade from the frozen north who walks dressed in little other than a thong, build like a shit brickhouse with bicepses the size of basketballs, four hundred pounds of muscle and almost eight feet in height. Has problems with authority, and does not care for anything but fulfilling the desires of his rampaging chaotic war god and proving his worth in battle.

>>We are supposed to be in a disciplined army with me being his superior officer. Of course, he doesn't listen to shit I say.

>>Can't stand each other for obvious reasons. My character enjoys spending gold on fine wine, massage salons, and the like. He on the other hand at best goes to a whore house and shaves every hair on his body thinking that will take care of the smell. I mock him, he mocks me, I set him up, he sets me up.

>>Mock each other all the time.

>>And yet thirteen levels later we're still together, the core of the party still travelling through mud and mire of a new discovered continent. Every other party member either died or was changed, but we still travel.
>>
>>43729056
Tzeentchian sorcerer and heretek allied with Khornate berserker.

It only really worked because of how good he was with tech, how much he knew and because he was infallibly polite. From his point of view, it was useful to have a barely-constrained meat grinder available when brute force was needed. The right word at the right place was all he needed.
>>
>>43736011
Yeah, which is why I'm wondering about instances where the powers could be put to use not raising the dead, but mostly putting them to rest or to putting the existing, masterless undead to constructive use. Both as the psychopomp necromancer who wanders and uses his powers to draw the existing undead to himself, then seeks to find out what has them unable to rest, and as >>43735947, a necromancer who specializes in grabbing control of the forces of other necromancers and the spells that don't require animating corpses, then siccing them upon said necromancers as retribution for their defilement. Admittedly, other uses I could think of for them is making crypt wardens, but that one could be a bit mixed...I mean, there are mummies, right? They guard sacred tombs and the like, generally as a point of honor for their cultures. But at the same time, still undead.
>>
>>43736076
I would say no to taking control of other undead. Allowing them to exist when you can easily destroy them is bad enough, let alone controlling them. Throwing them back at their former master is just an excellent way of giving them another chance at being controlled, and you're not even offering them revenge (if mindless), just another form of slavery.
>>
>>43736108
Point. Although it would speed up getting them back in their graves considerably at least, afterwards. Just have them dig their own graves again while the paladin prepares the consecrations, if we go by OP's team. Although tactically speaking, depending on situation, one may be easier than the other to do-namely, if the necromancer has set up a situation where it's harder to turn undead, which is likely, it may serve to better enable the rest of the party to kill the necromancer faster. I mean, they'd have to waste a turn either taking control of their army or providing caster support, right? Or actually destroy their own forces fending them off, potentially wasting spells that would be used on your party while your party is allowed to focus on them more easily, or on other groups of hostile undead. Or at least in theory. I may be overthinking this part a bit though.
>>
>all this arguing over "your character shouldn't be a paladin because she's hanging out with a necromancer"

Let's put it into a bit of perspective, shall we?
To put it bluntly, they're the two characters that suit each other's strengths and weaknesses. Our fighter is a bit of a dumbass, our ranger doesn't speak much and our barbarian decides pretty much at every corner to go all murderhobo and rage in any dangerous situation (not exactly a bad thing, but-). This leads to us two pretty much having the only reasonably tactical conversations. They also have good combat synergy, me taking up a frontline with a high AC and good HP stats while he sits back firing spells and debuffs to help make the fight easier.

Another important note is we are the only two characters able to heal other party members (he grabbed a healers kit). This includes each other, and there's been many a time he's risked his own skin to get me back in the action.

On top of this, despite her hating his practices, she can't deny they're vital for use on the field. The amount of times the other members have said "let's not kill this zombie/ghoul/other-undead and question it" issue getting ridiculous, and we both agree for different reasons it's a stupid idea and we should just smite them

Still waiting for "that one" moment when it clicks, but right now we're sitting on a mutual trust so we don't get into any potentially fatal arguments

>>43730444
Maybe she is, maybe you know her :^)
>>
>>43730983
>Can't interrogate a zombie
>Doesn't know Speak With Dead
>>
>>43730983
Fucking sold.
Bonus points if the necromancer doubles as a successful wingman and gets the paladin to do the same.
>>
>>43733526
Oh man, I love that screencap. Hell, my current character is kind of inspired by an idea of what one of that dude's acolytes would be like.

The end result is that he's a complete lawful good type of person... who is also a necromancer with armor covered in skulls and stuff. Needless to say, this tends to put him in conflict with a bunch of the NPC who think he wants to create a zombie apocalypse, but he mostly plans on using the zombies as a cheep source of farm labor, and dreams of one day getting the chance to use animate dead on dragons, wyrms and other large flying creatures so he can use the undead bodies to start up a commercial airline.
>>
In regards to all this back and forth about paladins and necromancers getting along... I'm just gonna say that all spells that create undead carry the Evil descriptor (depending on which edition/system you're using), so Necromancers are inherently evil. Paladins are inherently Good. Sooner or later, they're going to be at cross purposes unless one of them forsakes their path.
>>
>>43735454
Hitler abided by clear morals and virtues. They just weren't the same as yours.

The idea that human remains should not be tampered with is completely arbitrary, and it hasn't even been illegal for very long. Back in the 40s, you'd have doctors with human fetuses in jars on their desks.
>>
>>43735454
>necromancers are always grave-robbing amoral sociopaths

k then
>>
>>43735454
>>works with a glorified grave robber defiling the dead and the natural order
I'm pretty sure none of the above posts mentioned archeology.
>>
>>43735454
Its not grave robbing when the corpses walk so eagerly from their tombs.

Its not desecration to raise an old team for just one more glorious adventure.
>>
>>43730983
>interrogating a criminal
>give him the ol' "good cop, 'can bend the dead to his will and doesn't feel like wasting time' cop"
>>
>>43735319
>My son
>Yes oh mighty Pelor?
>I see you've been fighting evil again, slicing up orcs and such
>Yes my lord, just as you asl
>Look man, you've been thinking about orcs, and being around orcs, and gotten orc blood on you. That's not so great
>but Pelor, how else will I slay evil
>I can't have every paladin go around getting near evil, that shit corrupts, I'm gonna make you fall now. You should really think about joining a convent.
>>
>>43733526
except defiling the bodies of the dead so they can't rest in peace and probably come back as shadows or wraiths and shit.

Yeah the guy's necromancer may have been sympathetic but he never got consent (nor the people he taught) of the undead when they were alive either. May have done more harm than good.
>>
>>43735454

Necromancy working by defiling the natural order or ripping souls to fuel the undead is highly setting dependent. They could as well be just automatons powered with magic. They could even be bodies infused with some sort of positive energy. Or inanimate objects possessed by demons. Or whatever. Undead being evil or twisted is also massively dependent of setting.

Your opinion of what a Paladin should be implies your understanding of morals and philosophy is that of a preschooler.
>>
File: 1397066805142.png (796 KB, 1912x4838) Image search: [Google]
1397066805142.png
796 KB, 1912x4838
>>
>>43733526
Well except players who are the minmaxed "necromancers" are part of an evil death cult to learn their powers along with the whole negative energy thing.

Really it's just a pipedream for people who want to live forever but don't want to be known as the guy who sucked up to the gods/only killed babies and did nothing in return for lichdom
>>
>>43735735
basically the embodiment of evil and destruction.
You forget that dnd has basically evil good and neutral as actual forces of nature. That's why alignments exists, it's what force of nature you align to.
>>
>>43736384
They got no mind son.
Can't talk with something that literally cannot think for itself.

You'd just hear an echo.
>>
>>43733569
>I'm not saying we're perfect but GODAMMIT we get results!!
>>
>>43737569
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/speakWithDead.htm

>You grant the semblance of life and intellect to a corpse, allowing it to answer several questions that you put to it. You may ask one question per two caster levels. Unasked questions are wasted if the duration expires. The corpse’s knowledge is limited to what the creature knew during life, including the languages it spoke (if any). Answers are usually brief, cryptic, or repetitive. If the creature’s alignment was different from yours, the corpse gets a Will save to resist the spell as if it were alive.

>If the corpse has been subject to speak with dead within the past week, the new spell fails. You can cast this spell on a corpse that has been deceased for any amount of time, but the body must be mostly intact to be able to respond. A damaged corpse may be able to give partial answers or partially correct answers, but it must at least have a mouth in order to speak at all.

>This spell does not let you actually speak to the person (whose soul has departed). It instead draws on the imprinted knowledge stored in the corpse. The partially animated body retains the imprint of the soul that once inhabited it, and thus it can speak with all the knowledge that the creature had while alive. The corpse, however, cannot learn new information.

>Indeed, it can’t even remember being questioned.

>This spell does not affect a corpse that has been turned into an undead creature.

As long as they make sure to cast the speak with dead spell BEFORE turning the corpse into a zombie, it should still work.
>>
>>43735454
>glorified grave robber defiling the dead and the natural order
I believe this is called an adventurer.
>>
File: 1445651287408.jpg (49 KB, 351x405) Image search: [Google]
1445651287408.jpg
49 KB, 351x405
>>43735319
I bet you would make paladins fall for not saying grace before a meal.
>>
>>43737417
Brought a tear to my eye.
>>
>>43736031
Nice.
>>
>>43735319
Convert others to the righteous path through example not policing, unless being a cunt is your kind of thing
>>
Ya I had a pervy neckbeard weeb of a wizard who was highly unpleasant be besties with a charismatic handsome halforc sorcerer.
>>
>>43735454
>To be a paladin you have to actually strictly abide by clear morals and virtues
And said morals and virtues are determined by the Paladin's God, not humans. If the God in question is fine with Necromancers, there's no reason for a Paladin to fall for associating with one.
>>
>>43735319
Pathfinder.

White Necromancer.

Eat a dick.
>>
File: 135468323456.jpg (81 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
135468323456.jpg
81 KB, 500x375
>>43733526
In my setting raising skeletons is possible by binding souls to the skeleton corpse.
The soul is entrapped, enslaved and in pain, because as it used by the necromancer to fight for him, it starts forgetting its previous life, the souls senses fading more and more until nothing remains and the spirit is lost forever, destroyed.

So yes, Necromancy is inherently evil. In my setting.
>>
>>43740197
How edgy.
>>
File: bigbait.png (18 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bigbait.png
18 KB, 625x626
>>43740237
>>
>>43735366
You forget a very important thing, necromancy changes from setting to setting
>>
>>43737417
>I'm not suffering

Right in the feels.
>>
>>43729056
I am currently doing sort of that. My Neutral-Good Dragonborn Necromancer is bro's with our Lawful Evil Orc Paladin of Vengeance.

Currently, trying to work my way up to Level 5 so I can start summoning shit. Currently collecting bones of different skeletons our group has slayed on our quest so I can animate that, rather than going grave robbing. I, so far, have a Minotaur skull, a Dragonborn's torso, and 1 Orc skeletons arm. I also have a Balista bolt in our base-town that I plan to fashion into a Lance for it.
>>
>>43729056
>>43729499
>He is a golden angel whose construction was personally funded by the Pope.
>He is a top secret project that would never have been approved post-Sigma, but got overlooked in the aftermath of Sigma's rebellion until after his construction was complete.
>Together, they fight mavericks.

I hope the GM gets back soon, I miss that game.
>>
>>43737560
That implies free will doesn't exist in that setting
>>
>>43737560
>basically the embodiment of evil
But the NEP isn't evil aligned.

NEP is death, just as the PEP is life (and amusingly, PEP tends to kill visitors just as much as visitors to the NEP).

Life and Death aren't good or evil, they simply are.
>>
File: Witcher 3.jpg (271 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Witcher 3.jpg
271 KB, 1920x1080
>Hyper-lawful good former bandit who murdered several people before changing his ways and becoming a paladin
>Chaotic good outlander whose home village was slaughtered to a man and burnt to the ground by people just like the bandit
>They end up married by the end of the campaign
>>
>>43729499
>she's a druid who follows her own rules
>she's a drow who breaks any rule
>>
>>43740560
Well no, since you have the free will to choose your alignment.

People seem to have this weird preconception that when DnD talks about alignments they are talking about your characters moral compas instead of what the character boldly states he stands for, it's also very religeous since it chooses who you serve as a power gain or not and where you will go after life.

I mean it's not very realistic, no human being thinks he's actually evil and if he did then it would be a nerve wrenchingly bad thought. But it was written by a religious guy who thought that basically had the world laid out like this "Good people are the religeous one who devout time to help others, they say they align to good. Neutral people are people who don't go for religious, heathens but a good lot of them are nice, be wary, they can wrong you at any time. And evil people are aligned with satan, dunno why lol." so really I can't blame you for skipping it.

>>43740664
No it's not in the same way it is evil and good, death is death since as you said, both negative and positive energy can kill. They are basically embodiments of evil going by DnD metaphysics because the forces of evil are basically fueled and made up out of negative energy. You have to remember the mindset the game was written in, good versus evil, there's no jing or jang anywhere except neutral alignment.

>and amusingly, PEP tends to kill visitors just as much as visitors to the NEP
A bullshit thing I'm hearing a lot more nowadays, it's like saying just because huge amounts of water can poison a person it is as lethal and as bad to have around the avarage human being as cyanide. A poor example, but still, just because the cancer energy causes cancer in huge amounts doesnt mean that the something that still can cause massive damage in small amounts somehow good.
>>
File: 1447561685887.gif (2 MB, 320x250) Image search: [Google]
1447561685887.gif
2 MB, 320x250
>>43740530
My super fighting robot
>>
>>43740784
>the forces of evil are basically fueled and made up out of negative energy
[citation needed]

I mean sure, undead are fueled by negative energy, but that's a whole other can of worms, as mindless things are supposed to be neutral because they literally have no agency, but they're tagged as evil because reasons (most likely reason being so that paladins can smite them)
>>
>>43740839
And you are once again thinking in a very mechanical sense around alignments when the game was made with a very spiritual about them

And citation, demons, devils, undead. The three big things against the forces of good which are good gods, angels. They all give out an aura of positive energy because they are the embodiment of positive force, the good force.

And even more, the whole thing that positive energy can harm you is a recent thing. It wasn't there in the earliest editions.
>>
File: 1436566984415.jpg (75 KB, 419x430) Image search: [Google]
1436566984415.jpg
75 KB, 419x430
>>43740530
...Sigma? Mavericks?

What are you running?
>>
>>43741000
MHQ-themed game, using the Legend system.

One of the players is Hunter Command, and another is the guy behind Grach.
>>
>>43740992
>And citation, demons, devils, undead

Only one of which is powered by negative energy. Did you not notice that Baator/the Abyss aren't negative-aligned?

>And you are once again thinking in a very mechanical sense around alignments when the game was made with a very spiritual about them
And you have headcanon that goes against what the game's rules actually say.
>>
>>43741264
We are talking pre-3.5 here.

Beleive it or not, they made necromancers lore wise capable of being good in 5E. So really not any reason to even talk about that.
>>
>>43729499
>he is a powergamer with zero roleplaying ability
>she is a snowflake who only talks (about herself) but can't even kill many-levels-below-mooks
Together they make the GM go crazy and increase his med bills
>>
File: 1446408149824.gif (439 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1446408149824.gif
439 KB, 640x360
>>43736031
>mfw the height of those two

You're both manlets irl, aren't you
>>
>>43741063
Need to get back to running my stuff faster, but this is basically hell month...

>>43741000
Different guy running a game here. I know That Guy With a Parrot is working on an adaptation of the Metroid Marines book for a better setup than what I have, but so far I have found I can wing the creation enough for helping PCs make what they want and making mavs. Just seem to have lost a lot of my players, though that was expected with pbp and 16 different people.
>>
>>43730944
He was a Nephilim Jayan Norne(Big Damn Viking) Bodyguard
She was the daughter of an Abelense Noble, and a Daimah nephilim, and the person he was meant to protect
Together, they serve the Empress by wreaking havoc and JUSTICE.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.