[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dr Bongo 2: Dr Bongo's Revenge Edition OFFICIAL BOOKS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 22
File: 1447601282285.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447601282285.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
Dr Bongo 2: Dr Bongo's Revenge Edition

OFFICIAL BOOKS
>Eclipse Phase PDFs
http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>Zone STALKERs
http://gaxtrope.net/eprepo/ZoneStalkers/Zone_Stalkers%20%2809052014%29.pdf
>Morph Recognition Guide
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j4bjbba89kw8v0y/Eclipse_Phase_Morph_Recognition_Guide_%286098716%29.pdf
>Million Year Echo
https://www.mediafire.com/?45aax64umrlghf2
>Firewall:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b2umu9s9higm2db/Eclipse_Phase_Firewall_%287029562%29.pdf

PLAY AIDS:
>Advice for new players and GMs
http://pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>Online character creator
http://eclipsephase.oook.ch/Creator/version4/index.php
>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
https://sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet

HOMEBREW AND COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
http://awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>Various Eclipse Phase fanmade resources, and links to more
http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
http://www.farcastblog.com
>Community homebrew document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit
>>
>>43722221
Why is EP so fucking furry? It makes me not want to run it, even though I like many other parts of it.

That whole uplifted/furry/be any shape thing is fucking horrible in RPGs.
>>
>>43723283
Blame the David Brin influence.

It's still less furry than Here Be Dragons or After The Bomb.
>>
File: jim_burns_startide_rising.jpg (819 KB, 1227x885) Image search: [Google]
jim_burns_startide_rising.jpg
819 KB, 1227x885
>>43723305
But Brin's best uplifts don't even have fur.

>>43723283
It wouldn't be too hard to remove the uplift part if it bothers you that much. Just forbid all uplift/critter morphs and forbid the uplift background, and there you go.
>>
>>43722221
You failed a second time.

>>43723283
The furries are mostly anarkiddos. They're not legally people in the PC. You can pretty much ignore it there. Also, REMOVE SURYA.
>>
my roll20 game.

https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2639550/new-players-signup
>>
What can be possible punishments for breaking the laws in the inner system, other then fines and/or forced labor and/or mandatory psychosurgery?
>>
What is the most useless reputation network, and why is it ecowave?

>>43722221
>off by one
>>
>>43724521
Because its a reputation network exclusively for environmentalists and reclaimers. The former run around telling people not to touch anything and the latter tell people that they have to do something that is impossible for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>43724394
Forced re-education virtual reality by tumblrinas.
>>
>>43724702
That's mandatory psychosurgery.
>>
>>43723305
>Here Be Dragons or After The Bomb.
Don't know the first one, but AtB isn't furry at all (if we're using the same definition of the word, that is, sexualized animal fantasies), it's anthropomorphic roleplaying.

I know, these days the distinction is mostly lost on people, but back in the day it really was there.
>>
>>43724716
Morph-locking for x period of time.
Removal of 1 implant per serious infraction.
Removal of 1 social connection per minor infraction.
Removal of 1 whole social group connection per serious infraction.
>>
>>43724752
What do you mean by morph-locking? And how exactly can you "remove a social connection" and how is that a punishment?
>>
>>43724752
Also, implant removal can probably qualify as a fine, or as a confiscation, if the convict used the implant for a crime.
>>
>>43724798
Erase your memory of all of them, erase their memories of you
>>
File: AZR8b2B.jpg (681 KB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
AZR8b2B.jpg
681 KB, 2400x1600
> Did the lungfish refuse to breathe air? It did not. It crept forth boldly while its brethren remained in the blackest ocean abyss, with lidless eyes forever staring at the dark, ignorant and doomed despite their eternal vigilance. Would we model ourselves on the trilobite? Are all the accomplishments of humanity fated to be nothing more than a layer of broken plastic shards thinly strewn across a fossil bed, sandwiched between the Burgess shale and an eon's worth of mud? In order to be true to our nature, and our destiny, we must aspire to greater things. We have outgrown our cradle. It is futile to cry for mother's milk, when our true sustenance awaits us among the stars.
>>
>>43724521
But the most useless one Xplorenet, unless you're gatecrashing. e-rep has some use because terraforming is such a big deal on mars, there are some other companies which use it.

>>43725006
Still mandatory psychosurgery, also probably not common, as people freak the fuck out whenever state psychosurgery is involved.
>>
>>43725255
>people freak the fuck out whenever state psychosurgery is involved

Pussies. If you don't want people crawling around inside your head, don't digitize your consciousness in the first place. Cognite did nothing wrong.
>>
File: 1447784687791.jpg (132 KB, 800x1035) Image search: [Google]
1447784687791.jpg
132 KB, 800x1035
Best morph.
>>
>>43725324
Flesh is even easier to control with wetware.
>>
How recognizable do you like your morph types? Do all Mentons look "smart" in sublte ways like a slightly larger head? Do Rusters have obvious cybernetic enhanced respiration or just larger chests? Are your Hazers practically elf-like in appearance or are they rather mundane? How varied do you get with biosculpting?
>>
>>43726130
Most human-like morphs look the same to the naked eye in my games, but with the aid of mesh and muses it is possible to quickly find some discerning features.
>>
>>43726171
I find myself doing the opposite, being a fan of the silly rubber forehead aliens. I like my Titanians being borderline exhuman at the extreme. My Mentons look smart in some way, it's not enough to be smarter, you look smarter too. Skin dyes are the most common biosculpt and even Inner-System types can get creative with it, adding a subtle spacey exoticism, getting weirder the further out one goes, to the super strange scum fleets.
>>
What kinds of jobs do indentures in VR workspaces do?
>>
>>43726361
File juggling, being a secretary, being an extra or NPC in a vid or game, data analysing, program QA, mesh searching, polls, and such.
>>
>>43724726
The first one is also known as Hc Svnt Dracones.
>>
>>43723763
>new players
>no casuals
Well, which is it nigga?

>no laser swords
Someone hasn't read Firewall
>>
>>43726130
>>43726237
https://eclipse-phase.wikispaces.com/Identifying+Morphs
>>
>>43727262
I know about that, I'm asking how you do it, because I find myself not agreeing with the writers on many things, this being one of them.
>>
>>43726237
>skin dyes
Technicolor henna is the most common cosmetic mod? More than piercings?
>>
>>43727774
Piercings are hardly biomods. I'm talking drastic changes.
>>
>>43727819
Neither are skin dyes. Both of those, however, are under the "cosmetic mods" section in the main book. Biosculpting is its own mod.
>>
>>43727942
I'm confusing biosculpting for just cosmetic mods, but dyeing your skin is much more drastic than a piercing.
>>
>>43727976
Dyeing your skin goes away after a while. How is that more drastic than, say, cheek gauges?
>>
>>43728057
>Dyeing your skin goes away after a while.

No it doesn't?
>>
>>43728095
You think henna lasts forever?

There are permanent "skin dyes", but those are called "tattoos".
>>
>>43728183
The fuck are you on about?

I'm talking in the context of Eclipse Phase where yes, it does last forever. Nanotats are a whole other thing.
>>
KILLING PEOPLE FOR THEIR BELIEFS
IS AAAWWWESOOOOMME!

-MRGCNN
>>
>>43728379
I Am Perfectly Happy Imitating The Dominant Beliefs Of Every Location I Am In.

I Do Not Mind The Constant Surveillance And Souveillance Of My Actions And Thoughts.

I Am Perfectly Fine With Having No Opinions Or Beliefs Of My Own.
>>
>>43728482
>I Am Perfectly Fine With Having No Opinions Or Beliefs Of My Own.

This counts as an opinion.

Get ready for some """voluntary""" psychosurgery
>>
>>43728682
>roll for Psychosurgery
>>
File: 1419651387970.gif (956 KB, 500x490) Image search: [Google]
1419651387970.gif
956 KB, 500x490
>>43728766
You rolled for something alright
>>
>>43728814
Did I just hear "I chose to fail the roll"?
>>
>>43728867
I don't understand why psychosurgery is opposed by a Willpower roll. Having high willpower doesn't change the effects of neurosurgery.
>>
This is like pure junk, man. Transhumanism is like shooting dope. I was about to go out and get a job, bought a suit and everything, when THIS shit came in the mail. Blew my fucking mind, left a smoking crater.

God dammit, I'm so tired of living in my moms basement...
>>
>>43728892
>Having high willpower doesn't change the effects of neurosurgery.
Neurosurgery is completely different from psychosurgery.

Willpower is like a firewall/antivirus. Psychosurgery is like trying to install and alter code on the hard drive. Your firewall tries to prevent this shit from happening.

Neurosurgery is like taking an exacto-knife to your motherboard. Of course the firewall does nothing.
>>
>>43728945
No one's stopping you from moving out, Sir.
>>
>>43728981
no one is offering me a job, either, buddy
>>
>>43729146
You have to take a job, Sir. You also have to know what job you want and look for that, Sir.
>>
>>43728957
>Neurosurgery is completely different from psychosurgery.

No it's not

>psy·cho·sur·ger·y
>/ˌsīkōˈsərjərē/
>brain surgery, such as lobotomy, used to treat mental disorder.
>>
>>43729199
>I went into a mecha thread, but no one was talking about car fuses.
Please do some research on what psychosurgery means in Eclipse Phase. Stop being a dumbass. Thank you.
>>
>>43728218
>I'm talking in the context of Eclipse Phase where yes, it does last forever.
[citation needed]
>>
>>43729187
If you're going to make people work for a living in order to survive you ought to at least have the
decency to offer them a job.
>>
I want to move to Titan. My artistic dildos will be all the rage.
>>
>>43729254
Page 229 of the Corebook

>Psychosurgery is the process of selective, surgical alteration of a transhuman mind

Please do some research on getting fucking BTFO
>>
>>43729283
They offer jobs to everybody, on websites and at their premises. They don't offer jobs to you, personally, because you are expected to APPLY for a job, like everyone else.
>>
>>43729323
Corporations always act like they are doing you some sort of favor, like they are keeping you off the
streets. You are the one who had to go to THEM to convince THEM to give you a job, not the other way round. They consume all the resources and leave you with nothing then tell you its YOUR fault your poor.
>>
>>43729317
you can not surgically alter a mind with a scalpel.
you can surgically alter a brain with one, but they are two seperate things.

You're hardware is not your operating system.
>>
>>43729317
also, you wouldn't be able to perform neurosurgery on a synth or an infomorph, now would you?
>>
>>43729317
Same fucking page:
"Psychosurgery is almost always performed on
a digital mind state, whether that be a real-time
emulation, a backup, or a fork."

Surgical: adj.; characteristic of or resembling surgery or a surgeon especially in control or incisiveness (surgical precision)

It means that psychosurgery is a precise alteration of the data that makes up the human mind.

Maybe if you pull the dick out of your mouth, your argument won't have to suck as much cock as you do.
>>
>>43729370
What can you do? What skills, talents, and qualities do you have? What training and education have you gotten? What kind of work do you want to do?

If you can't answer any of those questions, you're not ready to get a job. Don't start until you can answer all of them.
>>
File: images.jpg (3 KB, 100x93) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3 KB, 100x93
>>43729483
dawwww... now who's getting BTFO?
>>
>>43729511
Why would I WANT to work? Why would anybody WANT to do something that you don't want to do?

If I could make money doing something I wanted to do, it wouldn't be called WORK, would it?

It would be called super happy fun time!
>>
>>43729571
>If I could make money doing something I wanted to do, it wouldn't be called WORK, would it?

Yes, it would. Work is done whether or not the worker enjoys it.

So, figure out what work you enjoy, then find a job that fits that. Do you understand?
>>
>>43729511
SOCIETY should determine how best I can contribute, and ASSIGN me my duties based on that. Work should be kept to a minimum.
>>
Are we fighting about the definition of "Work" again?
>>
File: 1443785640240s.jpg (923 B, 20x20) Image search: [Google]
1443785640240s.jpg
923 B, 20x20
>>43729535
>>
>>43729614
What should be is not the same as what is. Adapt to what is and work towards changing it to what it should be.
>>
>>43729571
>If I could make money doing something I wanted to do, it wouldn't be called WORK, would it?
Incorrect.

The difference between WORK and PLAY is PROFIT. Nothing else.
>>
>>43729673
And how am I supposed to do that while contributing to the very system that is exploiting me?
>>
>>43729660
what is this, a Costanza for ants?
>>
>>43729718
Look at the image you posted.
>>
>>43729704
Counter-exploitation. Twist the system from within.
>>
>>43729762
that i could get behind.
>>
>>43729703
Profiting from something you enjoy isn't work.
>>
>>43729795
Sure it is. It's just work you enjoy.

Now we can argue that it's not "labor", but it is definitely work.
>>
>>43729535
>>43729487
>It means that psychosurgery is a precise alteration of the data that makes up the human mind.
Exactly. All the willpower in the world isn't going to stop someone from changing a few lines of code. You're still wrong and you're still a faggot.

>>43729535
Still you, kid :^)
>>
>>43729843
>All the willpower in the world isn't going to stop someone from changing a few lines of code.
Not so simple. Human brains weren't created with a source code in mind. It's more like reading it in assembler, and making tweaks. Furthermore, you have to do so in a way that bypasses any redundancies that the brain might have.

Failing to beat those redundancies is why there's a willpower check. If you can't beat them in the opposed, the alteration is temporary as the ego alters itself over time to return to its original state.

You're one of those dipshits that don't like games that give dodge rolls for gun attacks, aren't you?
>>
>>43729908
>Human brains weren't created with a source code in mind. It's more like reading it in assembler, and making tweaks

Page 229 of the Corebook

"The Human Cognome Project was
an academic research venture to
reverse engineer the human brain,
paralleling in many ways the Human
Genome Project and its success in
deciphering the human genome. The
HCP was a multidisciplinary undertaking,
relevant to biology, neuroscience,
psychology, cognitive science,
artificial intelligence, and philosophy
of mind.
Funded and supported by scientific
and corporate entrepreneurs and
early transhumanist groups, the HCP
developed the fundamentals of digitizing
an ego and was a major driving
force towards the first transhumans
with elevated intelligence and brain
capacity. The HCP has also been
instrumental in cataloging transhuman
minds and developing databases
of “mind patches” based on the
mind-states of healthy individuals for
treating mental diseases and damage.
Though most HCP data is available
to the public, some argonauts claim
that certain data is held hostage by
some hypercorps, potentially for the
development of proprietary mindaltering
technologies.
After the Fall, the remnants of
this project were acquired by the
Planetary Consortium."

>You're one of those dipshits that don't like games that give dodge rolls for gun attacks, aren't you?

No, I'm one of those people who just rekt you. You can rage all you like, but it won't repair your devastated anus.
>>
>>43730155
>Quotes section about how people reverse-engineered the brain, just as I said was necessary.
Are you fucking stupid? How does that contradict "human brains didn't have a natural source code, we needed to decipher it"?
>>
>>43729266
Nowhere in the rules does it say skin dyes fade. The way skin dyes are depicted they are literally changing the colour and patterns of your skin,
>>
>>43730802
It's completely aesthetic. Why the hell would you make a rule for deterioration? if you hadn't noticed, EP isn't exactly rules heavy.
>>
>>43731012
>Why the hell would you make a rule for deterioration?
If it made sense.

Most implants and body mods in EP are self-maintaining. It would make far less sense for skin dyes to NOT be self-maintaining in the setting.
>>
>>43731511
It's trivial cost. What do you expect? It's not nanotech, so it has to work like normal skin dye. Ergo, as you slough off skin, it fades until its gone entirely.
>>
>>43731613
>It's trivial cost. What do you expect?
For it to last exactly as long as subdermal implants, scarification, or a skin pocket (all of which are also trivial cost).
>>
>>43731700
Do you not understand that the way skin dyes are applied that they are fundamentally impermanent?
>>
>>43731854

This is eclipse phase, and Skindye is under cosmetic mods of "Implants". I'm pretty sure the Healing Vat actually alters pigmentation of your skin cells.
>>
>>43731854
>Do you not understand that the way skin dyes are applied that they are fundamentally impermanent?
Do you not understand that we currently live in a world that ISN'T like the one in Eclipse Phase?

(also, your statement is horseshit; plenty of dyes are designed with permanence in mind)
>>
>>43730345
The tagline is literally
>Your Mind is Software - Program It

If you don't accept that human minds can be digitized then I'm not sure Eclipse Phase is the game for you.
>>
>>43732694
>I'm supporting the guy who thinks that psychosurgery is literally identical to brain surgery.
You really should follow the whole threadline before jumping in.
>>
>>43731991
If it was that, then it would be called skin pigmentation, not skin dye. Anyway, why does it fucking matter? It's trivial cost. If you need it refreshed, you can call on trivial favors as much as you want in anarchist space and it's pocket change everywhere else.
>>
File: Ultimate.png (509 KB, 677x627) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate.png
509 KB, 677x627
Can you be an Ultimate without being a dick?
>>
>>43732942
>Can you be an Ultimate without being a dick?
They're called Iconists, and they're the third faction of the Ultimates (the other two being the "kill all genetrash" Overhumanists, and the "let's just leave" Exceptionalists).

They're also the weakest. Why? Because they aren't dicks, duh!
>>
>>43732877
>If it was that, then it would be called skin pigmentation, not skin dye.
Incorrect. Pigment is natural color, dyeing is the artificial alteration of color.
>>
>>43732843
>I've been repeatedly blown the fuck out but I'll keep replying like nothing happened
Looks like you're the one who needs to read the whole thread :^)
>>
>>43735295
>I know you are but what am I?!
Clearly any possibility of this debate maturing died.

Anyone else have something else to discuss? How goes the Fate playtest for everyone?
>>
>>43735349
>How goes the Fate playtest for everyone?

I'm really hoping it's good. Hopefully they'll be able to streamline Eclipse Phase down into the Fate system well, and we'll have another way to play in the setting, just in a way that's a bit less mechanics-heavy. I know some people are really into the huge amounts of gear and customisation options present in the game, and that's one of those things that I don't think Fate would handle particularly well. I'm not a Famous Game Developer though, so perhaps there's a way to keep that aspect of the game in the Fate conversion for people who need that.

I was going to say that I'm not sure how many people are interested in it, but then again, people seem to have an interest in the game while simultaneously hating core concepts, entire factions and the developers, so who knows? Takes all sorts.
>>
How do we stop the robot menace?
>>
File: Engineer-2.jpg (546 KB, 3600x1800) Image search: [Google]
Engineer-2.jpg
546 KB, 3600x1800
this is what i imagine the remade look like
>>
>>43736999
By getting rid of all the biomorphs and pods. Get everyone in synths. Then there'll be nobody for the robots to menace.
>>
>>43737136
The robots can tell who is a human in disguise. They will still menace regardless.

The only answer is to make "robots do not menace humans" a universal constant.
>>
>>43737157
How are the robots menacing, exactly? Are they hanging around on street corners, listening to their rap music and spraying their graffitis on buildings?

Have you tried something other than writing a letter to your local newspaper? I'd suggest a systemic campaign of shaking your walking stick at them as you pass.
>>
>>43737178
They kill people. They're killing everyone everywhere, all the time.
>>
>>43737505
Are you sure you're posting in the right thread? This is about Eclipse Phase.
>>
>>43737982
I'm positive. The Eclipse Phase robots are mindless killers.
>>
>>43738181
...we're playing the same game, right? Reading the same books? Because over the last few Eclipse Phase Generals, I've been getting the sneaking suspicion there's been a fair few people posting that have only seen the /epg/ memes and decided that's what the game is like.
>>
>>43738190
Yes. The robots killed everyone in the Fall 10 years ago, and they're still killing on Earth and in the TQZ on Mars. What's the problem?
>>
>>43738217
>What's the problem?

The robots.

The exsurgent virus infects fleshy things too.
>>
I know barely anything about Eclipse Phase other than
>It's a clusterfuck of transhumanism and wonky dense political groups
>You have different mental and physical stats because you can swap bodies

Using that second one and ditching the first, could I run a game with Eclipse Phase that was all about a VR game? I haven't seen it, but I suppose the more recent example would be something like Sword Art Online.
>>
>>43738267
>could I run a game with Eclipse Phase that was all about a VR game?

Yes.

If it's going to be a game set purely in VR/simulspace, you'll want to point players at the different eidolons (sort of like morphs, but for infomorphs) and possibly come up with some extra ones both so there's a bit more choice and to reflect the sort of VR game you're running.
>>
>>43738227
What virus?
>>
>>43738293
I was thinking just using the regular bodies (but only humanoid ones) to represent the VR bodies. I wouldn't use the whole Eclipse Phase setting or anything, so I could just use regular bodies as... well, regular bodies within the virtual reality.
>>
>>43737003
That's honestly how I always pictured them. I think it might have be the authors inspiration for them as well. Just fits too perfectly in my opinion.

The Black Goo is also kinda like the exsurgent virus, especially because it can infect synthetic organisms, at least in the comics.
>>
File: muderface280.jpg (19 KB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
muderface280.jpg
19 KB, 280x210
Here is the basic problem with Transhumanism. Aside from its two principle technologies being a farce, most of its rhetoric is rehashed ideologies that have been around for centuries.

Anarchist define themselves in opposition to authority. Without authority, there is no anarchism. Everything else, (all the anarchy(hyphen)thing) is really just mashup of socialism, capitalism, democracy, or authoritarianism.

Anarchist-Capitalist is really just "Capitalist", Anarchist-Socialist is really just "Socialist", there really aren't any new ideas here, just old ones reskinned in light of new technology that doesn't exist and is probably impossible, or at least implausible.

Its fun, but its as shallow as a dope trip.
>>
>>43738451
Who cares about all that? All we want to do is satisfy values.
>>
>>43738493
I'm just saying, its not really a "thing". Its not something that's going to happen anytime soon.
>>
I think I'd resleeve, but I don't think I'd want to be backed up or egocast somewhere. They literally state that you are awake while you resleeve, but if it takes an hour for an egocast signal to reach Titan, then egocasting isn't at all like resleeving in real time.
>>
I really don't have a problem with other people wanting to do this sort of thing, I just can't imagine there would ever be much momentum for this kind of movement. It seems more like a fetish than a political statement.
>>
>>43738753
>>43738778
Are you replying to posts? If so, click the number and type your response in the box that appears.
>>
>>43738794
i'm just trying to start a conversation
>>
>>43738361
How come everybody is all like, "I want to play EP, but first lets change everything."
>>
>>43738885
Because they're never going to play the game.

In an actual game, with actual people, you're free to just not play the things you don't like. Don't like uplifts? Fine, don't play an uplift. Don't like the Jovian Republic? Fine, don't play a Jovian. But because they're not actually going to play the game, you can wax fucking lyrical until you're blue in the face about how the game would be better without all the things that you don't like and how the things you do like aren't properly portrayed anyway.
>>
>>43738310

The virus that's the reason the TITANs flipped their shit and killed everyone before fucking off.

It's not just robots, there's plenty of robots that aren't a menace at all.

Unless of course you're doing all this in character, to which I say fuck off, this isn't a quest thread.
>>
>>43738361
Why bother using Eclipse Phase at all? If you want to run a game where you simulate people playing a virtual reality fantasy game, then just take a fantasy game's rules and go "this is all just a game you can't escape from".
>>
>>43738885
It's the inherent nature of TTRPGs to change things to suit your games. There isn't some Roleplay Gestapo that will punish you for doing otherwise. I personally like to run mt Eclipse Phase game 30 years AF rather than 10.
>>
>>43739070
They like the ruleset and/or background?
>>
>>43739091
>They like the ruleset and/or background?

>I know barely anything about Eclipse Phase
>I wouldn't use the whole Eclipse Phase setting or anything
>>
>>43739186

It's free?
>>
>>43739208
It is! Although there's a fair amount of other free stuff out there too. Perhaps he's just here because /epg/ is full of fine, mature people who work together to producee the highest quality of posts regarding philosophy, politics and memes?
>>
>>43739078
Wait, what do you mean there is no Roleplay Gestapo? What was then my GM threatening me with?
>>
>>
>>43739430
There is.

Its called Warhammer 40k
>>
>>43738885
Because EP is a system that's designed around there being a difference between the mind and the body? That's kind of perfect for what I think would be fun to do.

>>43739006
>In an actual game, with actual people, you're free to just not play the things you don't like.
>But because they're not actually going to play the game, you can wax fucking lyrical until you're blue in the face about how the game would be better without all the things that you don't like and how the things you do like aren't properly portrayed anyway.
I don't doubt that. I find the whole setting incredibly dense, but it's an interesting setting. Someone linked a 20 page PDF or whatever of some chick I'm supposed to hate and the whole thing was an in character discussion/interview all about her history and her interactions with the political factions. It was cool. She talked about all her resleeves and forks and things like that. I liked it.

But that's not the kind of game I was thinking about. I don't want to play Eclipse Phase, I wanted to play a game set in an MMO, and Eclipse Phase has rules that work for that. It's not "EP would be better without Jovians", I'm saying "I want to use EP's ego/morph rules for an MMO game". >>43738267

>>43739070
Because Eclipse Phase is a system all about how you can change your physical abilities but keep the same mental ones. Just like if you switch characters in an MMO.
>>
>>43742648
sounds to me like you just find the system too challenging.

I don't blame you, its not an easy thing to wrap your head around.
>>
>>43743058
Setting, not system.
And I do, don't get me wrong. It's just that I also think it could be useful for a completely different type of game that I think would be cool to play.
>>
>>43743102
I still think there'd be better systems to base a virtual reality based game on, although it does depend what sort of virtual reality game you're trying to run. If you wanted a science fiction-y game, then borrowing the Eclipse Phase mechanics could work, but if it was something like fantasy or historical, then I think you'd be better off basing it on a system that's designed to handle that.

While Eclipse Phase has a system for attributes separate from the body (you buy your attributes, and then morphs (bodies) give you bonuses/penalties to some and set maximums), there's a lot of other stuff to the system that you'd probably want to excise.
>>
>>43743376
If nothing else the ego/morph thing is something to take into other more fitting systems.

Also, think of it less as excising and more as using only the core rules. Although I imagine EP doesn't have any sort of magic equivalent, so that's a bit of an issue.
>>
>>43743411
so basically you just want to borrow its core concept and repurpose it for an mmo without doing any actual programming?

Are you aware of the creative commons licensing agreement?
>>
its all nanoo nanoo to me, pal.

nanotech was big in the 60's and 70's too, everybody thought it was going to change everything, but guess what?

Nothing happened.
>>
>>43743481
"Programming"?
>Are you aware of the creative commons licensing agreement?
Not of the specifics, no, but there's no RPG gestapo that will bust down my door if I run a game in a way that the developers don't intend.
>>
I want to believe that there is some sort of secret organization dedicated to repressing technological progress and that we are all the beleagured victims of a shadowy power, but deep down I know that humanity has hit a dead end.

This is as far as we will ever progress, its all downhill from here.
>>
>>43743531
It means you won't make a dime off it if you try and profit from it.
>>
>>43743411
Asyncs are sort of like wizards in space, insofar as they're infected with a strain of a virus that grants them some potentially useful powers while in a biomorph with only minor drawbacks. Minor drawbacks include going mad and being more susceptible to other strains of the exsurgent virus.

If you don't know what the core rules are, then how do you know whether the core rules are actually suitable to your needs?
>>
File: 976371.jpg (82 KB, 600x815) Image search: [Google]
976371.jpg
82 KB, 600x815
>>
File: images44.jpg (16 KB, 174x290) Image search: [Google]
images44.jpg
16 KB, 174x290
>>43743557
>ASYNCH, SPESHUL ORIGINAL MATERIAL
>DO NOT STEAL
>TOTALLY NOT TELEPATHS GAIZ
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
Those eggheads at Hawking are working on something called a "Costanza Drive". Its powered by sheer contempt.
>>
I really want to play this game, but trying to get a group together just reminded me how fucking tedious and boring role playing games really are.

I need to kick this stuff, its like china white. I'm finally coming down off the immersive high, it was a helluv rush but I think I'm finally starting to put my feet back on the ground.

Time to go out and get a job soon.
>>
>>43743640
I guess we can begrudgingly add "asyncs" to the list of things that Eclipse Phase General gets upset about. At this rate, the only game that'd pass muster around here is one where every character must sleeve in a flat, have a career as a janitor and spend the whole campaigning sitting in a closet containing organic cleaning products somewhere on Mars.
>>
>>43743794
Don't mistake my envy for anything else.
>>
/tg serves a purpose. its here to socialize autistic people by slowly crushing their dreams and integrating them into the working force.

We need engineers to build and maintain our infrastructure, we can't have them imagining things.
>>
File: incompetantjackass.jpg (513 KB, 849x565) Image search: [Google]
incompetantjackass.jpg
513 KB, 849x565
>I want to build this freeway overpass out of carbon nanotubes!

Heres 200 tons of spec mix and 50 tons of 20 year old rebar thats been sitting on a dock exposed to open air seawater. Have at it.
>>
>>43743516
>it's all aeroplane aeroplane to me, pal

>flight was big in the 1860s and 70s too, everybody thought it was going to change everything, but guess what?

>Nothing happened
>>
>>43743794
No games will pass muster around here. This is because the standards are set by a bunch of autistic NEETs with wildly different standards, which will cause the criteria for good games to contradict on almost every point.

Pointing them all out would likely cause the entirety of /epg/ to go prompt critical with rage.
>>
>>43743640
>>43743794
Never read this. How many things to they have in common?
>>
>>43743551
Most people homebrewing things are doing it for their own game, not to sell a new system. Also as far as I'm aware you can change all the names and setting and be perfectly in the clear, because you can't copyright mechanics.

>>43743557
Because I know the core rules are d% and the mental attributes are separate from the physical ones because you can resleeve into a new physical body.
>>
File: ufcygjh3ivgxpmqlynok.jpg (24 KB, 420x318) Image search: [Google]
ufcygjh3ivgxpmqlynok.jpg
24 KB, 420x318
>>43743993
Why yes, we all fly personal aeromobiles! Why, my commute to Los Angeles from New York takes less than 30 minutes! AHOY HOY
>>
Never ever take the advice or criticism of /tg/. Sure our cesspool doesn't stink as much as others, but it's still a cesspool.
>>
>>43744039
A lot.

Dreamfall in particular is super trippy, but its a real sad ending.
>>
>>43744082
Can you be more specific?
>>
>>43744043
Well then don't worry about it. Thats what general commons is for, to keep things free for everyone.
>>
>>43744092
[spoilers]He gets exiled permanently from his home planet, his girlfriend breaks up with him, and he loses his powers[/spoilers]

Something like that. It was a long time ago. Catspaw was my favorite, it was the second in the series but I read it first.
>>
>>43744143
Uh, I meant be specific about what it has in common. Also, it's singular "spoiler".
>>
File: blah.jpg (55 KB, 625x351) Image search: [Google]
blah.jpg
55 KB, 625x351
>>43744143
also its for fags
>>
>>43744164
Body mods, telepathic culture, socio-political commentary.
>>
>>43744211
How does that have anything to do with asynchs?
>>
>>43744043

> and the mental attributes are separate from the physical ones because you can resleeve into a new physical body.

Eh, not really. Okay, so HP is all based on morph, and morphs apply bonuses to some aptitudes, but they're not really "seperate" like you're saying. Your base SOM is way more important to how strong, resilient and likely to land a punch you are than if your morph is a big stronk guy - unless you starting SOM is really crappy in which case a good morph bonus will catapult you back up to above average. The Mind/Body separation in EP is there, but it's way more about the Mind being more permanent than the body - your body is a shell, change it. So unless you're gonna like, put different stat caps to classes or avatars or whatever, EP's system really isn't ideal. It's got a kernel of something in it, but you're gonna need to actually sort that out on your own rather than just "hey, could I just cut this out".

Also, EP's VR rules are really useless. "VR is entirely virtual, so everything is whatever the admin/designer needs. Fuck with "simulmorph" stats as much as you like. Simulspace hacking is rolling to see if you know how to use the debug console".
>>
You're somatics stat is super important, because it affects integration rolls when you resleeve. It sucks cause strength is usually my dump stat.
>>
>>43744273
they are basically a mirror image of shadowrun, only a bit dumbed downed and less combat intensive.

You're meant to kind of bullshit your way through
>>
>>43744350

Yeah, it's all just kind of "VR is a thing, here are some general guidelines, all the actual detail depends on what the GM needs".

I've seen/heard everything from using simulspace to do VR conference calling to whole adventure or campaign seeds based around VR gaming. Not counting stuff in the setting already like Glitch.
>>
>>43744273
I basically want to use the mechanics but reflavour them. I'm thinking something full immersion VR as opposed to playing on a console. I also wouldn't use EP's actual VR rules, I'd use the regular rules but say the game takes place in VR.

The idea would be something like the .Hack games where you actually want to be in the VR to solve whatever problem there is, because... hacking is magic. .Hack// wasn't exactly realistic in it's depiction of glitches.

I mean, EP is more ideal than anything else I've seen.
>>
>>43744320
It's also used to resist being knocked out or stunned when you take lots of damage
>>
>>43744320
The weird thing is that SOM is primarily a defensive stat as >>43744930 says, and it's also used to resist a fair number of poisons and similar.

I use the rule where melee damage is (SOM+DUR)/20, so SOM is less important for melee damage in my game.
>>
File: CQg3_e6WUAA2E-Q.png (163 KB, 367x586) Image search: [Google]
CQg3_e6WUAA2E-Q.png
163 KB, 367x586
>>
>>43722221
>http://gaxtrope.net/eprepo/ZoneStalkers/Zone_Stalkers%20%2809052014%29.pdf

>>
>>43748045
https://robboyle.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/ps21811_eclipsephase_zonestalkers.pdf
>>
>>43748365
Thank you.
>>
>>43744026
>Pointing them all out would likely cause the entirety of /epg/ to go prompt critical with rage.

It'd be worth to see it for that alone. I was toying with the idea of setting up a game on Roll20 and then systematically turning each prospective player away because it doesn't fit my personal but 100% correct interpretation of how Eclipse Phase would be if it weren't for the pernicious efforts of the people who wrote the game.
>>
File: Hyperelite on Skyark.png (181 KB, 281x475) Image search: [Google]
Hyperelite on Skyark.png
181 KB, 281x475
>>
File: 4531271452_91402d6855_b.jpg (521 KB, 678x1024) Image search: [Google]
4531271452_91402d6855_b.jpg
521 KB, 678x1024
>>
File: 1392616043162.jpg (711 KB, 1280x1894) Image search: [Google]
1392616043162.jpg
711 KB, 1280x1894
>>
>>43754530
>hyperelite
>using boxy synthmorphs
>>
Okay /epg/, now that the dust has settled, are transhuman dicks cut or uncut?
>>
>>43759873
However they like. The process is easily reversible.
>>
>>43759873
I would be more concerned with the presence of knots or barbs.
>>
>>43759259
It could be an eccentric hyperelite.

Yeah, right, it's more likely an indenture sleeved in there.
Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.