[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your legendary archer uses a thumb ring, right? You're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 37
Your legendary archer uses a thumb ring, right?

You're not seriously trying to say you have an amazing, legendary archer that doesn't use one. That's not very realistic, now is it?
>>
>Realism

Why do people always assume this matters?
>>
That ring looks tight as hell
>>
>>43716735
No
He can't use a thumb ring cause he has no hands
>>
>>43716735
He uses a lance crossbow.
>>
>>43716876
How does he arch?

>>43716891
The fuck is that?
>>
>>43716735
Looks like a wedding ring finger variety of ring to me.
You sure you know what you're talking about?
>>
>>43716909
Not sure. that's why he's a legend
>>
>>43716735
Mine uses one of those leather finger tabs, does that count?
>>
>>43716735
He doesn't use hands, so no.

>legendary archer
>using hands
kekkin
>>
>>43716909
A lance crossbow is a crossbow that shoots lances.
He's a half-giant.
>>
>>43716951
I like that your response applies to both of the posts he replied to.
>>
>>43717042
Aren't those called spear guns?
>>
>>43717070
It's a spear gun if it shoots spears, and lances are a bit more than a spear.
>>
>>43717042
Is this one of those questions where we debate when a crossbow becomes a ballista? Is it when it needs wheels?
>>
>>43717113
I think ballistas are just normal size for a half-giant. A ballista for them would have to be wheels the size of tables.
>>
>>43716735
No. He, in fact, uses his bare hands and an incredibly primitive bow. It is his superhuman strength that does the work.
>>
>>43717112
I like this man.
>>
>>43716735
>That's not very realistic
Shows what you know about archery hypothetical autistic sperglord. Not all archery involves a thumb draw. My legendary archer uses a Mediterranean draw.
>>
>>43717776
What.
>>
>Needing special equipment.
>To attain your pleb-tier "legendary" status.
https://youtu.be/BEG-ly9tQGk
>>
>>43718061
That guy has special equipment though.
>>
You can totally loose a bow without a thumb thing, what you really need is a forearm protector. An overdrawn longbow string can fucking slice the skin off your arm when you let it go.
>>
No. He doesn't. He just summons the arrows out of the air onto the bow. Or sometimes just fires them while they're still in the air by the dozen, like some sort of Sumerian Doorway or something.
>>
File: Ekalavya's_Guru_Dakshina.jpg (233 KB, 800x977) Image search: [Google]
Ekalavya's_Guru_Dakshina.jpg
233 KB, 800x977
Thumbs are for pussies. Ekalavya number one.
>>
>>43716938
>Looks like a wedding ring finger variety of ring to me.
>You sure you know what you're talking about?
thumb ring, on the thumb. look at the thumb
it has a leather "ring" on it (not actually a ring, just some archer jargon).
I have never even heard of it before but its clearly that little black piece of leather on the thumb
>>
>>43718003
>My legendary archer uses a Mediterranean draw.
maybe that was his point? that thumb draw is superior and no way your legendary archer is actually legendary if he uses a pleb draw like mediterranean draw?
>>
File: Archer-3.jpg (135 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Archer-3.jpg
135 KB, 720x960
>>43719101
>pleb draw
Only Roman citizens can be plebs, so better to be a pleb than a barbarian.
>>
>>43718061
>catches an arrow shot at him and fires it back
>Shoots an arrow someone shot at him out of the air
>Shoots an arrow at a knife so it gets sliced in half
>etc
holy fuck
>>
>>43716781
As a man who's just started wearing a wedding band, they need to be a little bit small to be worn comfortably. Seems counterintuitive, but it's true.
>>
>>43719174
What the devil is he wearing on his draw hand?
>>
>>43719300
The weirdest finger guard I've ever seen.
>>
>>43717112
You should check Detritus' peacemaker. A ballista that fires a sheath of bolts. Which break apart from pure force I'd the launch. Pratchetts ideas.
>>
>>43719174
I like you anon
>>
>>43719101
Mediterranean draw is the most common draw amongst professionals now. Thumb draw's primary advantage is that unlike the Mediterranean and it's variants is that with a thumb draw you aren't relying on being capable of a simultaneous release with all of your fingers... This said a truly legendary archer would be more than capable of a simultaneous release with all of their fingers.
>>
>>43718061
As hype as this is, it's mostly showmanship. Some legit pro archers spent some time debunking it. Still looks cool as fuck though.
>>
>>43719198
Yeah, seems hard to believe but its fucking hilarious.

When I was in grade school, I was in boy scouts and one of the big things we did was archery since we were in the midwest.

I also happened to be quite into medieval warfare. Knights, war horses, artillery, all that good stuff.

I remember seeing this video when it reached /k/ and instantly remembering how I tried that same technique with having the arrow on your right side because it not only felt more comfortable but let me shoot faster on the Recurve bows we had since I had a "bad" habit of pushing the bow away which really was doubling the strength I had and because I could shoot more accurately, not to mention but because I remember reading about old archery and seeing that, that's how the archers in my pictures shot their bows as well.

Went out, bought a 50 pound recurve and tried it again for myself.

Tried it and after an hour of shooting bails, I was shooting faster than my uncle and neighbor who both bow hunt each year, though not as accurately but I could do it with a greater ease than they could. It really just came down to the fact that I haven't held a bow in so many years.
>>
>>43716735
hey somebody just learned about rings
>>
>>43718061
>>43718100
>>43719198
>>43719450
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDbqz_07dW4
>>
>>43718061
I'm hard as fuck right now.

>>43719429
Source for the debunk/alternate perspective?
>>
>>43719547
The only thing I don't like is that she bitches about him using pictures of archers on the internet, then turns around and uses different pictures on the internet to prove her point.
>>
>>43717042
>>43717070

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Q5JTbJ4fo
>>
>>43719547
What he brought back was the European method of archery that fell with archery around the 18th and 19th century thanks to black powder muskets.

Now not everything he did say was correct, but much of the technique he does use is.

Second, the 81# myth is a misconception. They were on the low end of around 60# to a maximum of 120# averaging exactly at 80# since the English used different bows for different placements of archers. To skimp the math, a regular 60# longbow has enough energy and power to take out medium game at decent ranges and were used to create walls of arrows since volume more than made up for the relative weakness. Snipers, a more applicable term, would use the heavier bows to pick off targets from higher places at longer ranges without shooting at a 30 degree arc.

Third, the draw length of a bow doesn't really matter as much as you think, if the bow is of a heavier poundage. Most older archers only had their draw length be at about 2/3rds maximum.

And while you can debate the weight of a bow, Lars does admit to having a lower weight but the same applies to the archers of the 18th century, in that it took them 5 years to fully train an archer who would use a heavy bow which is actually why muskets became so popular, because you could teach a rifleman how to shoot in about 4 months.

So much of what he debunks is the more traditional European style of archery, using both arms something not really taught unless at the upper tier of competition, often still using the left side, using compound bows which achieve a greater draw weight and length for ease but at the cost of slower draw times, not to mention the method of holding arrows in your hand which again, was used in the arrow wall method but fell out of favor since bows did the same and because it made training archers quite difficult.

tl;dr your debunk a shit.

Try this.
>http://historum.com/general-history/50056-archery-myth-has-been-confirmed-lars-anderson.html
>>
>>43718132
Wouldn't the string scraping your protector still mess up the shot, so shouldn't you still train to avoid that?
>>
>>43719374
The changed it from a ballista bolt proper to reduce the long range destruction wrought whenever he fires it.
>>
>>43719804
Yeah they're gonna train you not to mess up, but in the heat of battle you're probably gonna mess up
Nobody's perfect anon
>>
>>43719687
These are the little gems that keep me coming back to /tg/. That and watching Modern General devolve into a pile of garbage every time.
>>
>>43719822

Because when he used to fire it with normal bolts, they never found where any of them landed
>>
>>43719652
She says the pictures she uses are more reliable in that an artist could more easily correctly represent 'equipment' over 'technique'. Which I'm inclined to accept. An artist might never see a war and paint/draw archers firing 8 feet away from each other during battle but the difficulty of getting some peasant archer or soldier of any type to pose with their equipment on wouldn't be especially difficult.
>>
File: Adam Sandler.jpg (122 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Adam Sandler.jpg
122 KB, 1280x720
>>43719174
Adam Sandler is that you.
>>
File: You really mean this.gif (415 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
You really mean this.gif
415 KB, 500x332
>>43716735
>Using bows
>>
>>43716735
Thumb rings are mostly used in kyudo you dumb fuck. You won't see a european use it unless he's retarded or extremely pretentious
But you may want to protect the third and fourth finger if you want to draw more than 3 arrows.
>>
File: Streltsy.jpg (186 KB, 671x503) Image search: [Google]
Streltsy.jpg
186 KB, 671x503
>>43716735
>Anglos bragging about their bows again
>>
>>43720607
>Adam Sandler is the greatest archer in the Mediterranean
I'm ok with this.
>>
Wait a second

That's a left hand, lefties can't be legendary
>>
File: 1508636.jpg (197 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1508636.jpg
197 KB, 1920x1080
>>43716735
>Archer
>>
>>43720691
The kid that is routinely winning youth championships in Europe is lefty and with left-centric aim. Actually, soon he will start winning "adult" championships
>>
>>43717113
This a siege crossbow
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Siege_crossbow_-_Ch%C3%A2teau_de_Castelnaud_-_20090926.jpg

This is a ballista
http://alexisphoenix.org/imagesromania9/firstballista.jpg

As you may notice, size is not a main difference between them. And nobody will use hand-held weapon because it's too bulky even in small scale.
>>
>>43716735
Physical thumb rings were phased out in favor of magical training that renders them redundant. Archers technically still use one.

All the best archers combine enchanted equipment and low~mid level sorcery with their archery talents so they can do crazy off-the-wall unrealistic bullshit. Showers of arrows from a single pull, missiles that change direction mid air to hit targets multiple times from multiple angles, conjured elemental munitions, etc.
>>
>>43718061
>Draws a childrens 28 pound bow
>Ermagherd legendary mobile archer

You know what archers were mobile? Cavalry archers.

>Pick up arrows and shoot them back
A significant portion of the time, you're fighting someone with a different type of bow. And, ignoring the possibility of shattered or broken arrows, sure, why not.

>Catching an arrow and firing it back
Try firing it *at* him with something that isn't for children. Firing to his side naturally makes it easier, just as firing the arrow somewhere above him makes the arrow easier to hit later on. Trying to hit a point flying at you is much harder than a long shaft flying above you, at least, when you're not using prissy training bows.

The shots here are of little to no threat to even a man at arms, let alone any kind of properly armoured enemy. The most this idiot could hope to do is go for the face or eyes, which, while is a legitimate tactic, he's not got very long to live when that shieldsman bears down on him.
>>
>>43719547
I read comments on youtube again. I must drink memory erasing tea now.
>>
File: scr08.jpg (64 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
scr08.jpg
64 KB, 512x384
>>43716909
However much he archs, I can guaranteeeeee you it's not as much as me! Hahahahaa!
>>
>>43721128
You suck at posing though.
>>
>>43718147
You cheeky little git, I got that.
>>
File: Max dex.webm (2 MB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Max dex.webm
2 MB, 853x480
>>43716735
Today OP wasn't a faggot.
>>
>>43721563
Well, OP wasn't one but I sure am
>2015
>Not doublechecking your gifs before posting them
>>
>>43716735
is that glove supposed to be actually useful? because looks kinda retarded man, back then people didn't had baby skin hands like we do, you know
>>
File: 1447910033161.jpg (29 KB, 182x369) Image search: [Google]
1447910033161.jpg
29 KB, 182x369
>>43718003
>my feet hurt
>this rock is too heavy
>Aurentio is manning the balista
>fuck Aurentio, i hate Aurentio
>i wish i was at the Colosseum watching gladiators kill each other
>>
>>43716735
She has a bow scrimshawed out of her own bones, forged in the heat of the middle of Summer under the sun of the longest day.
Her arrows are glass tears of the loneliest Winter.
The string is entwined from the first breath of Spring and the last dying breath of Autumn.

Sorry, got carried away. What was that you said about realisim?
>>
>>43721831
Look at his face.
He's nervous.
Hell, he's scared.
He knows he isn't the right man for the job,
but no one else will do it.
His arms are too weak to throw every rock correctly.
He's scared of what others will think.
He's terrified of failure.
But he's going to do it anyway.
Because he is paid 10 asses per day.
>>
>>43718061
Looks like a shit low poundage bow.
>>
>>43720674
>Slavs trying to feel relevent when they couldn't even shoot guns as good as the Anglos either.
>>
>>43721890
How didn't that snowflake melt in the Summer?
>>
>>43721890
BUT HOW DO YOU GRIP YOUR ARROWS, THIS IS VITAL INFORMATION
>>
>>43722041
>Literally Shooters on the picture
>Complaining about quality
Bitch, those dudes conquered Siberia. And repelled everyone at homefront for over 100 years. How were your archers doing after being wiped out in few battles? Oh, right - they cease to exist
>>
>>43719652
Hey idiot,the problem is that he claimed to have discovered them.

Except if you can find them on google that means someone else has already found and posted them.

He's Reddit with downs.
>>
>>43722065
DM said go crazy with making our characters, so we did.
The team has the greatest Sorceress that ever lived, an immortal Barbarian, an Assassin that may be a Dragon in disguise and is the lover of one, disgraced noble Half Elf Rogue and Cleric twins with legitimate claims to both a human and an elven kingdom's thones and a thirteen year old Necromancer who rides a Dire Bear Skeleton.
There's enough snowflakes around me that we all keep each other nice and frosty.

>>43722070
Thumb and index finger, with the bow losely held by the thumb, index and middle finger.
>>
>>43721804
You know that archers either use a thumb ring or an arm guard, right? If you do a thumb ring draw, the string curves away from your arm on release. If you don't, it curves towards in the Mediterranean draw.

It's no more retarded than having a guard on your sword.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (1 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
1 MB, 2272x1704
>>43718061
>Modern archers only shoot stationary targets.

Ha ha, okay then.
>>
>>43716735
>Your legendary archer uses a thumb ring, right?
>
>You're not seriously trying to say you have an amazing, legendary archer that doesn't use one. That's not very realistic, now is it?
He's not European so no.
>>
>>43722075
>conquered Siberia
>fucking empty planes and forest
>conquer
Kek. The only enemy there were cold winters.
>>
>>43722292
cold winters fuck a lot of armys over.
>>
>>43716735
You're the kind of guy who starts crying if the GM mentions potatoes, aren't you?
>>
>>43716735
I'm very sure a thumb ring would get in the way when using a Mongolian draw.
>>
>>43722292
Be fair, Siberian winters are OP.
>>
>>43722301
Fuck you you fucking fuck
>>
>>43722334
They're very resistant to gunshots as well.
>>
>>43722394
The wizard takes out his tobacco pouch.
>>
>>43722334
Nah, humidity is pretty low here, so it doesn't feel as bad as it does at Far East. I heard winter was more snowy, though, but it really depends on region. I witnessed snowdrifts about meter height (or it's better say there was snow plateau with meter deep roads and pits in it) in one small city in FA, and people claimed it's normal situation there.
>>
>>43722249
That stag is not amused
>>
File: fuck off.gif (843 KB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
fuck off.gif
843 KB, 499x281
Anon, my legendary wizard shoots fireballs out of his dick and then goes home to fuck the goddess of beauty that he has as his lover.

Realism is the most asinine stuff to pretend in RPGs save for when it defies common sense
>>
>>43722499
He wasn't even shot, he just gave up on life after seeing Lars half draw a 12# recurve.
>>
File: bitch laughing.gif (450 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
bitch laughing.gif
450 KB, 256x192
>>43721831
>>43721920
>>
File: FB_IMG_1447945355420.jpg (20 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1447945355420.jpg
20 KB, 720x405
As someone who practices archery, a lot, I would say that there is no one single best style.
The thumb draw is great for short and medium range, especially while moving or mounted as it keeps the arrow locked against the bow in any direction. The "Mediterranean draw" is very good for heavy pound bows and excellent at long range due to sighting along the shaft of the arrow. Even the Japanese style can be very effective, if a little slower.

I can even make use of the "pinch draw" that also allows great medium and long range accuracy but is more difficult with heavy bows.

Really if your Archer is a legend, than they use all sorts of draws, bows, arrows, to fit the needs of the moment.

PS: I once fucked with a player in my game with realism. He kept picking up old arrows and arrows from goblins or other enemies instead of buying them. After he had run out of his own arrows I warned him there would be a penalty for using the wrong arrows for his bow until he bought more. After an entire scession where he hit 3 out of 20 shots he caved and bought new arrows. "Spine weight is a thing dumb ass."
>>
File: 800px-Bow_Draw_ensvg.png (178 KB, 800x366) Image search: [Google]
800px-Bow_Draw_ensvg.png
178 KB, 800x366
>>43722249
Compound bows... Archery on easy mode.
>>
>>43722603
>PS: I once fucked with a player in my game with realism. He kept picking up old arrows and arrows from goblins or other enemies instead of buying them. After he had run out of his own arrows I warned him there would be a penalty for using the wrong arrows for his bow until he bought more. After an entire scession where he hit 3 out of 20 shots he caved and bought new arrows. "Spine weight is a thing dumb ass."
I get that archery is your thing, but that's pedantic as hell.
>>
>>43722623
Their only inherent advantage is being able to hold a full draw for long periods. All the other shit like sights, counterweights and those silly trigger things are technically accessories.
>>
>>43722625
His whole concept was a sort of Robin Hood style character. I did explain that his character knew that shooting the wrong arrows from his bow would be wildly inaccurate at anything but the shortest range. . this game also felt with Armor by hit location, as in you roll to see where you get hit, if you're Armor doesn't cover say, your head, than you might as well not be wearing any.
>>
>>43722634
You have no idea how much of an advantage that is to hold a 80 pound draw bow completely still for just one minute. Not to mention the triggers, floating arrow rests, and optical sights.

With a traditional bow you have to think quickly, range, wind, speed of target, flight path of the arrow, all while concentrating on your draw, release, sight picture, body position. It is all done in the span of two or three seconds before you set another arrow and start again.

Compound bows are great for hunting, where the end goal is putting food on the table. But as a skill it is on the low end of archery.
>>
>>43722838

Would you say the same thing about guns? I don't care about the honor of using leet skills if my technology gives me an edge.

If being able to hold the draw for a minute so I can line up the shot and put an arrow in someone's chest then all the better.
>>
>>43722901
H already said they're great for practical use.
But they're kinda boring from a "for fun" standpoint.
>>
>>43722901
I was saying that modern accessories make it practical and more excessable to people who can't spend hours a day training. It is like hitting a target at 500 meters on iron sights with a bolt action rifle from the 1800s as opposed to hitting the same target with a brand new high tech long range Remington with a 30 x scope.

>>43723020
Yep that was exactly the point.
>>
>>43722838
You can think out those things before you draw. And I already covered accessories. Floating arrow rests aren't that much of an advantage, but they are pretty damn cool.
>>
>>43722838
There is also a lot more that can go wrong with a compound bow. Mo mechanics mo problems.
>>
File: P6rppwT.jpg (92 KB, 529x644) Image search: [Google]
P6rppwT.jpg
92 KB, 529x644
>>43723254
Every time you add another accessory what it does is reduce or remove human error. Little by little you are chipping away at the skills involved in what you're doing with every mechanical aid on that now.

So if you're speaking in the context of what it means to be a "master Archer" than mechanical advantage shouldn't be the primary factor.

As for doing all of that mental work before drawing the bow, you can try but it is more of an evolving problem than a static one. We use compound bows for hunting, and the reason to hold that draw isn't always for you to do the mental work to line up the shot, it is to wait for the animal you're shooting to present a target.

In bow hunting the Hunting part is what you're focused on so everything that makes the bow part easier gets added in.
>>
>>43723348
Unless you derail the bowstring or have a cam lock up there isn't much to go wrong with the equipment. All things being equal a compound bow is simply easier to hit a target with.
>>
>>43718030
Bows require a lot of strength to use - especially larger bows.
The idea that dexterity should increase the damage of a bow is very unrealistic - damage, accuracy and speed would all depend on the archer's strength.
I assume that his "primitive" bow is just a long, thick piece of wood, with a hefty string and massive arrows.
>>
>>43723377
Well once you start minmaxing it's hard to stop. One moment you're adding a pin sight to a recurve and the next you're buying a new trigger for a compound.

Even master archers want to improve their performance, so why wouldn't they use a compound. If we're going to add arbitrary handicaps then a true master only uses some twine and his penis.

And it's all moot anyway, skill is the most important factor. It's not like a newbie picking up a fully upgraded compound could compete with a master with a longbow.
>>
>>43722075
Streltsy: 1550
Longbow: 1200 (earliest was from 2500 BC).
>>
>>43723474
Speed, is one of the biggest disadvantages of the compound bow. Because of the way the arrow is held and the "lock back" action of the cams the compound is much slower. Think of it like a sniper rifle. You want pinpoint shots, one at a time with plenty of time to reload. Use a compound. If you want very good accuracy, and range and be able to fire and reload in seconds than use a traditional bow. . a horsebow with a good skilled Archer can fire and move in a continuous motion with enough accuracy to hit a man at 30 yards. You just can't get the same level of speed or versatility otherwise.
>>
>>43722623
>cars...walking on easy mode
>>
File: BOOM Compounds.jpg (121 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
BOOM Compounds.jpg
121 KB, 1024x768
>>43723574
I hadn't considered that, in a battle you'd probably want something a bit more straightforward and less likely to explode into a mess of cams and string. I imagine it would be a favourite among assassins though.
>>
>>43723574
Forgot my link.

https://youtu.be/1o9RGnujlkI
>>
>>43723636
That would be an awesome story line for some adventures. Some dwarven assassin who builds himself a nasty compound bow and starts taking out officials or really long range shots in a city or some war zone.

Thank you anon, I am so going to run with this concept.
>>
File: 1439989454104.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1439989454104.jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
>>43723610
Go ask /o/ about automatic vs manual transmission cars... I'll wait.
>>
File: Diabolical Laughter.jpg (30 KB, 636x491) Image search: [Google]
Diabolical Laughter.jpg
30 KB, 636x491
>>43723810
Genius, send the opposition away to another debate that will never end.
>>
>>43718147
>Archers
>never use bows
fucking
whatever
>>
File: radical islam.jpg (32 KB, 480x450) Image search: [Google]
radical islam.jpg
32 KB, 480x450
>>43718061
>shooting arrows while rollerblading
I don't even care if this is real or not
>>
>>43723667
Holy shit she's a qt
>>
>>43719547
I'm at about two minutes in, but has anybody else noticed how almost all of these videos debunking somebody else, they ALWAYS use "Under the Hall of the Mountain King" for the soundtrack?

What's up with that?
>>
>>43724029
Cute red haired Archer girl. . whenever she looks at the camera I just smile.
>>
>>43723667
Wait, when did Ron Weasly become a girl and take archery lessons?
>>
>>43724202
Who cares, the important part is that she exists.
>>
>>43719041
Hindu mythology is bad fanfic-tier.
>>
>>43724415
This.

If there is any mythology with worst case of testosterone poisoning, it would probably be reinterpretation of Hindu myths anyway
>>
>>43722292
>Empty planes and forest
>This is what burgers believe
And let me guess - polar bears, right?
>>
>>43722461
It doesn't change the fact it can easily go to -40 Celcius, because of the combination of latitude and strongest continental climate on entire planet.
>>
>>43722623
Yes, because increasing efficiency is so evil and unmanly
>>
>>43722625
>Pedantic
Let me guess. If the game would use guns, asking people to use proper bullets for their weapon would be also pedantic and autistic, right? Who needs proper caliber, when you've got your badass rifle!
>>
>>43722838
Oh noes, the tool is more effective! How dares it to make life easier, while we all should toil under the sweat, just like our forefathers!
>>
>>43724673
Ill take speed, skill and effectively thank you. Show me a video of someone speed shooting a compound bow, then look at the video some other anon posted of the archery qt and tell me weather you would rather be on the side of the 12 arrows a minuet or 3.
>>
>>43723097
>I was saying that modern accessories make it practical and more excessable to people who can't spend hours a day training. It is like hitting a target at 500 meters on iron sights with a bolt action rifle from the 1800s as opposed to hitting the same target with a brand new high tech long range Remington with a 30 x scope.
... and?
This goes anywhere?
Because I'm still waiting for you to make some point
>>
>>43724718
Don't care about it, I'm against bow wankery in general. And when I read stupid cunts that keep going "the more primitive your weapon, the better", it's a trigger for me.
Get a crossbow. Or a gun. Doesn't take training, doesn't really take great skill, ten times as effective.
And avoids all the issues of how absurdly unrealistic - even in hell-bend on deep simulation games - archery is in tabletops anyway.
>>
>>43724746
It takes more skill to get the job done without the fancy gear, and at the highest levels that gear offers negligible improvement to your shooting and only makes you slower.
>>
>>43724808
So let me get this straight.
Your entire points boils down to how "unfair" it is to gain advantage over gear, thus ditching the lenghty, hard and slow-going training while retaining similar efficiency.
Are you fucking insane? Literally nobody cares about some cavalieur bullshit like that. The point is to hit the target, with as little effort as possible.
>>
>>43724718
I dont get what you want. With the exception of trick shooting, and very specific competitions, speed is not that big of an issue. If you want a realistic point of view, and you want to put down targets faster, use a gun. While I agree that traditional archery has its merits, using today's technologies doesn't make you "less" of an archer. Does it take more "skill" to not use stuff like cams and counterbalances, sure. Does it change the fact that archery today is a hobby/sport, and people can enjoy it however they want? Fuck no.
Elitism is gay, anon.
>>
>>43724808
Bows? Ha, only weaklings use bows, I have placed an arbitrary handicap on myself that means I am superior.

For I, the manliest man, only chase down my targets until they die of exhaustion.
>>
File: Ballistaheadrear.jpg (23 KB, 274x225) Image search: [Google]
Ballistaheadrear.jpg
23 KB, 274x225
>>43717113
Difference between crossbow and ballista is the mechanism.
Ballista mechanism stores energy on rotation.
Crossbow mechanism stores energy on a spring like a bow.
>>
>>43724801
Let's say you're an adventurer, and your role is the ranged combat professional. Do you choose
A: the very slow but powerful crossbow that you can punch Armor with,
B: the even slower hand Cannon that might not always function but does massive damage,
C: the very specialized sniper compound bow that could fail catastrophically if you make a big mistake. (You rolled a 1 your bow exploded)
D: the recurve traditional bow that you can fire quickly at any range, is accurate and easy to maintain.

In the context of a fight I would be sticking with the old style, volume of fire and all that.
>>
>>43724808
>at the highest levels
At the "highest" levels, you need every single advantage you can get, because an absolutely tiny difference means the difference between gold and silver. SO they train themselves to the limit, AND use modern equipment, because the two together make for the best archer, period.
>>
>>43724891
Truly a Mandeville man, the most manly and majestic of creatures.
>>
>>43724910
And do they use compound bows in the Olympics?
>>
>>43722292
>archers are so unbelievabley skilled they can shoot and kill temperature
U betr watch ur fukin mouf m8
>>
>>43724960
They don't because it is one of the most petty and conservative organisations in the world.
>>
>>43724960
No, but they dont use wooden arrows or bows, and they use fuck long dorky counter balances, and sights. It's not traditional in any sense of the word.
>>
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 540x960
>>43722623
>...
>>
>>43725017
Or is it because the organizations that do have compound competition set the bar at 55yards, and you can never miss the center of the target. Again this is only target archery I'm talking about right?

If you're only judging a bow by single shot accuracy than it is hard to beet the compound. If you want a weapon that you can use in lots of situations where speed might be a bit more important than one single shot at a motionless target. Stick with the recurve. And if you want a bow that hits like a 44magnum even with Armor on, get yourself a 110# longbow and fire away.

Different weapons, different jobs.
>>
>>43724906
I pick a semi-automatic rifle. If I can't, I get myself the gun that can drop down a bear. If I can't, I go for the heaviest crossbow that goes with spring draft. If I can't, I go for Chinese auto-crossbow.

I literally don't give a fuck about your elitism. Fire rate is absolute bullshit when you need to first and foremost HIT your target - which bow is the worst weapon to use - and then PIERCE through armour.
>>
>>43725019
Yeah the Olympic bows are feeling final fantasy level of complex. But they do recognize that it is a different skill set involved.
>>
>>43725085
Already this anon: >>43725019 answered your bullshit
>>
>>43725107
That is just it. The heavier recurve IS the equivalent of a semi automatic rifle of today. Good range, good accuracy, fast firing, middle of the pack. It isn't elitism, to point these things out.
>>
>>43725118
If they already have sights and counterweights, then please tell me how they are so much more advantageous than a non compound.

Seriously, the ability to hold the draw for longer doesn't turn it into an auto aim machine.
>>
File: image.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>43725085
>all these spelling and grammatical errors in your posts
It's like you want to look illegitimate, anon.
>>
File: arrow_in_hand_2.jpg (30 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
arrow_in_hand_2.jpg
30 KB, 580x435
>>43725183
Rate of fire, if I can shoot 5 times for every one shot from a compound bow than I'll win that fight.

I don't have to shoot an aspirin out of the air, and by the way the guy who does that is using a traditional bow) I have to shoot a man.

If I make a mistake on my longbow it won't derail and possibly explode in my hand.

If my wooden arrow fails than pic related won't happen to my hand.
>>
>>43725239
Typing on a phone sucks.
>>
>>43725298
Rate of fire is irrelevant in the olympics though. Which is the context of what I said.

I already admitted in a previous thing that a traditional bow would be better in a battle scenario and a compound for single shot assassinations or hunting.
>>
File: ExemplaryOverdraw.jpg (37 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
ExemplaryOverdraw.jpg
37 KB, 540x720
>>43725298
Also, can happen with all arrows if you're not careful.
>>
>>43725398
Ouch, nice filename anon. Overdraw is a big problem when you use hand me down arrows or they aren't the right length for the bow or the shooter.

The carbon arrow explosion thing happens when the shaft is damaged, the moment force is applied and the shaft begins to flex it splinters instead of bending and you get that spiky pattern of shards. . still that is more to do with arrow types than bow types.
>>
>>43719547
She is super salty about this, regardless of whether she's right or not. It makes her sound like a sullen bitch.
>>
>>43725501
See, this is why I stick to aluminium. Much less likely to turn into a porcupine.
>>
>>43725178
Mate, semi automatic rifle is semi automatic rifle. And recurve bow is recurve bow. Got that? I didn't say I will pick your shitty bow, I've specifically stated I will get my hands on everything else.
>>
>>43725563
Yeah, not quite Laci Green levels, but I want to slap her for the way she delivers the lines.
>>
>>43723810
>>43723853
At least some of /o/ will speak the truth.
If all you want is a practical daily driver that's not too much "work" to operate, go auto.
But manual will always be more fun, and offer a higher performance ceiling than all but the fanciest, most expensive manumatics and automatics.
>>
File: agvq60W_460s.jpg (32 KB, 460x285) Image search: [Google]
agvq60W_460s.jpg
32 KB, 460x285
>>43725239
>>
>>43725604
I heard hall of the mountain king and was immediately angry. It's the anthem of smug.
>>
>>43724688
Yeah.
>>
>>43725587
I tried Fiberglass a couple times, old bow fishing arrows that I reworked to test shafts. They were heavy as all fuck and not as accurate as aluminum shafts. . thank god they are cheap though, they bend like crazy.
>>
>>43716735
Your legendary Archer should use whatever they have available, but in a awesome way.

Wasn't there a story about a Vietnam era sniper whoma killed a VC officer with a m2 machine gun instead of his scoped rifle?

So the story goes that the team was waiting outside some vc base and the officer would come out and stand in the same spot every morning. It was too dangerous to get closer so the sniper set up a .50cal machine gun with one shot to kill the Officer.

Now that is legendary skill.
>>
>>43725625
>Le troll face
I'm not even in this argument, anon
I'm just a grammar nazi. Sorry you have bad grammar.
>>
>>43723610
That's a shitty comparison.
>>43723810
This is a better way of looking at it. Compound bows are the automatic gearbox of the archery world.
And based on this picture (>>43722249), they are used by hideous people.
>>
>>43725398
Christ
I can't tell, is it going through any other fingers?
>>
>>43725936
I think he got lucky and it only got the thumb and prodded the index finger.
>>
>>43725853
>There is only one person in the internet
I'm not the first anon, you imbecile
>>
File: Peasantry.jpg (3 MB, 1632x2112) Image search: [Google]
Peasantry.jpg
3 MB, 1632x2112
>>43725855
What sort of stallions do you think traditional archers were?
>>
>barbarian
>spec into thrown weapons
>carry around quiver full of arrows
>throwing arrows by the handful
>killing more enemies than our legit archer with legit bow and arrow doing it the "right" way
>one time throw an arrow through a guy's eye socket so hard it goes out the back of his head and kills the guy behind him too
>>
File: English_longbow_archers.jpg (83 KB, 731x495) Image search: [Google]
English_longbow_archers.jpg
83 KB, 731x495
>>43726061
Yeah, just look at that filth.
>>
>>43726086
HOW?! Abusing the thrown weapons rules hmm?

That is some dwarf fortress level shit there.
>>
>>43726207
Longbowmen on front line carrying pikes and wearing full plate.

Something tells me the painter was going by rough description.
>>
>>43724688
Not necessarily, but I question the reasoning behind tracking standard ammunition shot by shot in the first place, unless there's a good reason for it(like not being able to resupply frequently or difficulties sourcing the said ammunition even when otherwise able to resupply - like, for example, having an elven bow in a game that mostly takes place at or around a rural human-dominant area or having an illegal gun in a country where firearms are heavily regulated).
>>
>>43726278
More than likely. The only evidence that supports close range archers is the physics of the longbow. At 30 yards and less it has a lot more power than lobbing or arcing them. So against armored troops it was likely fired near level.

That's the reason Agincourt was so deadly to the french. They couldn't advance on the English archers in the quagmire.
>>
>>43726238
I told my DM the idea. He built the character himself because he thought it was hilarious. The way he built it, I get insane bonuses to throwing weapons, especially improvised ones.

The other guy didn't optimize or powergame or anything.
>>
>>43726343
>muh longbows at muh agincourt
The French lost at Agincourt because they charged into the mud, where their horses foundered, they got stuck, and the English set upon them with knives while they struggled to get upright due to the suction created by the mud.
Ever get a foot stuck in a couple inches of mud?
Imagine that effect on your whole body.
>>
>>43726343
There's close range and then there's fucking retarded. I hope the painter got laughed at when it was first presented.
>>
>>43726396
While I would agree a certain level of propaganda has escalated the effectiveness of longbows to near mythological levels, it's not like they weren't integral to English doctrine at the time.
>>
>>43726285
Or using a heavy war bow far from any resupply. After each fight he didn't bother to collect his own arrows either.

I was running the game as a somewhat realistic fantasy campaign. The party was tasked to raid and disrupt the supply lines of an attacking goblin army.

They were in essence behind enemy lines and under supplied. And the Archer kept wasting arrows and picking up stuff from the goblins.

He only brought 2 quivers, a total of 50 arrows and when he was out he had to use the gobbie ones and became frustrated. So they had to make a detour (sidequest) to a human village near the war zone who made them do some stuff for the village before they would offer to resupply the mercs.
>>
>>43726491
Integral, yes.
But "muh agincourt" completely ignores just how hard it is to put an arrow through a knight's armor.
Archers were a HUGE strategic and tactical asset, but they were basically artillery.
>>
>>43726556
It wasn't just knights in Agincourt though. Slow footsoldiers trudging through the mud were also a target.

When the knights charging into mud lost their support and were surrounded by angry Englishmen with an assortment of blades, they would consider the longbowmen to have been the death of them.
>>
>>43726636
Yes but the principle effect of the archers at Agincourt and at Crecy was to chase the lower ranged, less armoured Genoese crossbowmen from the field, unsettle the French horses, and goad the noble French Cavalryman into charging unsupported over unfavourable terrain.

Sure, the longbow won the battle, but not because it could kill chevalieres with ease like the angloboos think, but because it could harass the French at range effectively enough to cause the heart of the French army to fight a battle they could have just as easily avoided, in a manner that they could not win.
>>
>>43727077
Angloboos, I will definitely use that.

Yeah it annoys me to see people missing the point of the longbow so much and buying into the myth that it could shear through plate like it bodkin points were miniature lightsabers.

It's especially annoying to remember that in school my history teachers were also perpetuating this myth.

I wonder if this is what it's like to be a Japanese historian encountering weebs on the topic of katanas and bushido.
>>
>>43721572
>characters just bouncing up and down instead of being animated as walking
>>
>>43727077
Now I think about it, it's much like the use of cannon in the Napoleonic wars to make infantry break formation and become vulnerable to cavalry.
>>
>>43719687
>http://historum.com/general-history/50056-archery-myth-has-been-confirmed-lars-anderson.html
>people are acting like archers in the past were super soldiers
I know that didn't actually state a total position in your post, but it's slightly misleading to act like this is a source when it's just a forum with more informed people than average person here.
>>
>>43719687
>Third, the draw length of a bow doesn't really matter as much as you think, if the bow is of a heavier poundage.

Funny joke, pretending that work isn't force X distance.
>>
>>43727250
Yes, it is certainly a combined arms scenario, just like the cavalry, artillery, infantry rock paper scissors relationship of the early modern era.
>>
>>43727077
>Angloboos
Thank you. I've been needing this
>>
>>43727172
Im pretty sure theyre on horses
>>
>>43724906
I would take all or most of them because I'm an adventurer and I'll encounter different scenarios that require specialized equipment
>>
>>43727250
I know I agreed with you earlier, but I'm retracting it. Kind of. It was a classic example of how you break a combined arms army (busting it up until it is no longer integrated and self supporting), but unlike a tercio under the cannons at Breitenfeld, just taking the punishment was an option. If the French had just stood and took it, they could have withstood the casualties easily, and at both Agincourt and Crecy, the English were in retreat, and the French were blocking the way, so if the French were to just back off a couple dozen meters and make camp, the English would have to cross the seas of mud to force the issue.

That's part of the reason why both defeats were so Goddamn important to the English. They were two bright spots in an otherwise humiliating campaign where the enemy was not just defeated, but dealt humiliating wounds to their pride.
>>
>>43719374
It's actually a piecemaker, because that's what it does.
>>
>>43724718
I'll take 0 arrows a minuet

Arching during musical performances is incredibly rude
>>
File: no thanks.jpg (19 KB, 156x275) Image search: [Google]
no thanks.jpg
19 KB, 156x275
>>43719041
I had to do something with that face
>>
>>43725600
>we're playing a medieval fantasy game
>this nigga demands his character gets to bring a gat and his animal companion is an F-35
>he slaps our wizard
>"why would you ever use stupid magic when we could just use ICBM's"
>we never invite him back
>>
>>43726238
>dwarf fortress level
Not even close. In DF you can throw water as if it was solid rock, with the same efficiency.
>>
>>43724604
Are you retarded? It's not arctic, north regions were colonized much later.
>>
File: 4499.jpg (27 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
4499.jpg
27 KB, 250x375
>>43716735

>legendary archer
>shoots left-handed
>uses a completely laughable shit-tier release aid
>>
>>43724906
to be fair any decent adventurer can carry all of them.
>>
>>43719041
>Naw, nigga. I don't care about thumbs
>>
File: kenshiro.jpg (23 KB, 400x535) Image search: [Google]
kenshiro.jpg
23 KB, 400x535
>>43729669
I know that fist!
>>
>>43729669
>ATATATATATATATATATATATA
>>
>>43719426
Personally, I'm somewhere between a thumb draw and Mediterranean draw. I don't know if that's actually called anything other than shit form

Learned Mediterranean first, found out about thumb, tried it. Hurts like a bitch when you're teaching yourself.

Now I hook index and middle and pinch with the thumb. Works well enough for me to hit moving targets.
>>
>>43721572
series?
>>
>>43727340
Yes...? And there are two components to that equation.
Draw distance will increase work done, but so will the force required to pull back the string (i.e poundage)

SO a heavier poundage compensates for a shortened draw length.
>>
>>43722623
>>43732699
>scroll down and see draw forms pic

So what I'm doing is like a bastardized Mongolian draw. Cool.

Gonna try that, though. Seems interesting (and like it's gonna pull my thumb off...)
>>
>>43732699
>>43733658
The advantage I like most about the mongolian draw is that it makes it so the bowstring curves away from your arm instead of towards it. If you're practised, you can avoid the need for an arm guard.

I mean, it's a good idea to have one anyway, but still.
>>
>>43733739
I've been using an armguard since the first time I drew a bow and my elbow bent in enough to touch the arrow shaft.
I mean, I was a bony little kid and the issue has since been fixed, but I still like the idea of the string curving away. Worst feeling in the world when it turns your whole forearm red...
>>
>>43725795
Yes, Carlos "White Feather" Hathcock, USMC. Made a rig to put a scope onto an M2. Held the record for longest verified sniper kill until Afghanistan.
>>
>>43727958
Off topic but they were in fact on horses.
>>43732765
Shit anime don't worry about it.
>>
Hey /arch/ looking to get into archery with a longbow, any tips besides knowing draw length and strength and all that?
>>
>>43719547
>The retarded opinions of a woman.
No thanks.
>>
>>43733006
Which is why lars, pulling backa toy bow halfway isn't generating anything close to an acceptable amount of force.
you can't go "length doesn't matter because poundage" and in the same breath say "poundage doesn't even matter guize"
>>
File: Dsc_0040-manuballista.jpg (57 KB, 332x500) Image search: [Google]
Dsc_0040-manuballista.jpg
57 KB, 332x500
>>43720862
Um, actually...
>>
>>43721572
>>43721831
The hell is this thing?
>>
File: Primatives.jpg (672 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Primatives.jpg
672 KB, 1920x1080
>>43731626
But muh traditional draw!
>>
So I've heard that a strong character with a bow can kickmajor ass in Shadowrun.
How true is this?
Because I kinda like the idea of a sneeky breeky Orc chick with a bow dropping guards with throat shots from the shadows.
>>
>>43741378

Phys adept orks or trolls can fire an arrow hard enough to damage tanks. It's a good time.
>>
>>43742526
But can they also be decent at "sneaky ninja bullshit"?
Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.