[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Degenesis: Rebirth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 42
So let's talk about this game. Got it myself recently and so far I'm really getting into the fluff, even if the way it's written is not conventional to usual RPGs.

Favourite cultures/cults so far? I'm getting a big boner for the Paler cult, love their fluff and atmosphere.
>>
Haven't seen an english pdf yet. Difficult to talk about it any further than "I think this is neat and want to get my hands on an english copy".
>>
>>43711590
Well I'm glad you contributed to the thread.
>>
If its going to keep getting shilled this hard, you're going to have to accept that it will get pirated.
>>
>>43712183
Who's shilling? I genuinly want to talk about it.
>>
I only have the previous edition. Did the fluff change much?

This looks interesting cause I get a real Tribe 8 vibe from it. Loved that game even if no one played it.
>>
>>43712709
Well personally I've only gotten my hands on Rebirth, and never tried the first one, so I've no clue really. From what I heard though, it hasn't.
>>
>>43711553
There's some guy around who has the old edition .pdf uploaded. It's pretty cool, but the system is kind of janky.

AFAIK, the new edition has a much better dice-pool based system and the same fluff, just a few years more advanced.
>>
>>43711590
>>43711553
Has anyone homebrewed a way to play as a mutant in this game

>>43711755
A lot of people are going to be in this boat since german isn't a largely spoken language here and the game is relatively unknown.
>>
For a free look at the fluff get the free Degenesis CC PDF. It's the old version without art, but it will give you an idea. The art was wonderful, and the pirated version floating around has the coal drawings left in.

The mechanics have been radically changed for the Rebirth, and greatly improved. The world is the same, but some decades later and a bit less polarized to allow for easier party cohesion.

>>43717370
>play as a mutant
The Spore is a hivemind. Homo Degenesis does not have an individual will. You also cannot play a machine following its programming to a fault, or anybody who knows all the secrets and background details of the setting. You're supposed to have something to explore, struggle with, be surprised by, or keep secret.
>>
>>43718017
What changed about the fluff? I suppose the Africa/Hellvetics conflict de-escalated slightly, as they seem to have at least some grudging respect for each other now? Or I might be reading the fluff wrong.
>>
File: dushani censored.jpg (115 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
dushani censored.jpg
115 KB, 848x1200
benis
>>
File: 1446577461641.jpg (19 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
1446577461641.jpg
19 KB, 680x383
>>43721274
>>
>>43721242
Africa got fleshed out in more detail. The animosities between cults were nerfed a bit so you get more responsibility to make up your own mind as a character in the field.

I haven't read much because my GM likes his secrets kept secret.
>>
>>43721301
That sounds like a sensible decision on their part.
>>
No pdf = dead thread
>>
>>43722692
Oh right, shit, I forgot people don't buy games anymore. Derp.
>>
>>43721242
Don't know what exactly changed because I've never seen 1ed. But in Rebirth they moved the timeline 10 years later, also you can actually have multi-Cult team without players having to immedietly kill each other.
>>
>>43722718
There are usually a few people who buy and share so other can shit on game.
Personally, I am not willing to spend 100$ on game I have zero chance to play.
>>
>>43717370
You don't want to play as a Homo Degenesis. They are a hivemind with no individual thought or personality. And their horror is kind of the point of the game. It would be like playing as a Shoggoth in CoC (granted, I don't know much about CoC, so maybe that isn't an accurate comparison). The closest you can get though is probably a burn addict.
>>
>>43722718
It would cost about a hundred and fifty bucks to get the book to where I live. There's no way in hell I'm doing that until I have a pdf I can read and judge the game for myself with.
>>
>>43711590

"Yes, we're working on it. Still November. It will take us a few more days. As soon as we're close, we'll announce it. No way you will miss it. We'll email everyone about it.

Best

M"

was posted on 16th.
>>
>>43725039
Any word on price?
>>
>>43725394
nope, but i guess 40$
>>
>>43725465
Will there be one large PDF of both books, or what? I am assuming so since they're numbered to follow each other. Cause if that is the case, that's gonna be a fatass PDF.
>>
>>43725506
the german one is 40€ and u get 2 pdf, so 1 primal punk pdf and 1 katharsys

primal is basicly lore and stuff
katharsys mechanics + a beginner adventure i think
>>
>>43725506
>inb4 samefag

the german one is about 700pages
>>
>>43712709
OHMAGOSH anon! Finally someone else enjoying Tribe 8!?

(Btw, you a germanon? If so, check out the review at teilzeithelden. The author happens to also like Tribe 8 btw)
>>
>>43721242
The review I read said that conflicts between different groups got smaller, so you can actually have people from different factions in one group.

Well, for everybody interested: the mentioned review (German, pretty great site, I approve)
>>
File: 1309452587657.jpg (46 KB, 494x700) Image search: [Google]
1309452587657.jpg
46 KB, 494x700
>>43725835
I derped. Here: http://www.teilzeithelden.de/2014/10/15/rezension-degenesis-rebirth-edition-die-wiedergeburt-des-primal-punk/
>>
>>43725835
I got that somewhat from the ingame fluff as well, during the examples in combat and so, where the group is a Spitalian, a Hellvetics soldier, a Chronicler and a Paler all in all, working together (though their reason for being together isn't told).
>>
>>43725900
Also, apparently, Clans are more important now.

In the next post I'll post the changes summary from the said review, does putting it in Google Translate produce something understandable? If really not, i MAY be assed to translate. If you point me to bits you want to see translated, ask, this I will do.
>>
>>43726001
Vergleicht man Degenesis Rebirth Edition mit Degenesis1, fällt auf, dass das Setting nicht stark überarbeitet wurde. Wer Degenesis1 gespielt hat, dürfte sich sofort zurechtfinden. Mancher Text wurde fast 1:1 übernommen, etwa der Zeitstrahl. An anderer Stelle haben die Autoren auf den Texten von Degenesis1 aufgebaut, sie klargestellt und den Hintergrund erweitert – vor allem bei Kulten, Regionen und Klans. Manche Ortschaften und Details fehlen (Sodom), andere sind dazugekommen (Africa wurde erweitert). Dabei hat man sich sichtlich bemüht, die feindseligen Töne zwischen den Kulten zu dämpfen: So wurde aus manchem blutigen Krieg (Jehammedaner-Widertäufer, Africa-Hybrispania) bloßes Misstrauen und sogar lokale Kooperation. Das ist zwar nicht das von einigen Kritikern erhoffte, weitgreifende Re-Design, aber eine deutliche Verbesserung gegenüber den teilweise nur schwer überspielbaren Fraktionskonflikten von früher. Viele Kulte haben auch interne Strömungen und rivalisierende Ansichten, die für noch mehr Abwechslung sorgen.

Das Setting an sich spielt nun 2595, also zehn Jahre nach Degenesis1. Besonderes Gewicht legt die Degenesis Rebirth Edition auf die akute Bedrohung durch die Klans. Diese haben sich gegen die Herrschaft der Kulte erhoben, an der Seite des Maraudeurs Chernoborg die Praha Republica geschleift. Dabei werden im Kapitel „Viel Feind“ für alle Regionen Klans aus unterschiedlichen Technologiestufen als Feindbild vorgestellt. So kämpfen dem Balkhan die Usudi, in Borca die Kakerlaken gegen das Protektorat. Interessant für Primal Punk-Veteranen: Manche Kulte stammen dabei aus Erweiterungsbänden zu Degenesis1, etwa die Resistance aus Feldberichte: Psychonauten.
>>
>>43726021
I got the jist of it using Google Translate. What's this about Sodom, though? As I understand, they don't talk about it in Rebirth? Granted, I haven't read the entire fluffbook yet.
>>
>>43726062
Exactly. "Some places and details aren't covered, e.g. Sodom", others were added (e.g. expansion of Africa coverage)
>>
>>43726103
So what is it? Some important place covered in the first edition?
>>
>>43726107
Apparently — the only way I can imagine one can read it. I don't actually know, never played it. I just wanted to help, since I've read this review a couple of days ago.

Btw, I also have put it into Google Translate, and a part about the Cult-Clan conflict really doesn't translate properly/understandably. It says there that the Clans, allied with the marauder Chernoborg* have literally destroyed Praha.

(God. This pun is so bad)
>>
>>43726230
Oh, okay, sorry. I understood it as you having played it, but derp on my part.
>>
So, don't know if anyone would know, but the guy in the second trailer, Falberg. Is he a figure in lore or just 'Stand-in' PC?
>>
>>43726352
Falberg is mentioned a lot in the Katharsys part of the game, the one with the game mechanics, and mostly used to describe scenes and examples of play. So I guess he's a canon person.
>>
>>43726386
B-b-but that sounds exactly like a 'stand-#in PC' like that other anon put it. Onyx Path calls them signature characters iirc.
>>
>>43726386
>>43726425
It'd be cool if he were to show up in a campaign as an NPC, or if he were presented as the main character of his own story.
>>
>>43726425
Well if you're gonna be technical about it, sure. Though the "stand-in PC" is more like the Chronicler "Monitor" who is the example throughout the character creation, and is one of the characters in the group in which Falberg is also part of later in the examples, as mentioned in >>43725900
>>
>>43726583
I just understood the original question as "Does this dude actually do anything noteworthy in the fluff?", probably meaning "Does my character need to know about him?"
>>
>>43726230
>Chernoborg*
Haha. I laughed out loud.
>>
>>43727238You seem ironical. I disapprove of that attitude.
>>
>>43726230
>>43727238
What pun? The guy calls himself Chernobog. It's the Russian devil. That's it.
>>
>>43728985
Slavic god demonized by christians as part of the religious takeover of the area, actually. Very little in terms of records or folklore is left from pre-christian times, so we don't really know much at all about him.
>>
>>43726352
>>43726386
>>43726425
>>43726440

He is also on one of the DM-screens, so there is a good chance is somewhat important.
I flipped through my old source-books, to see of he show up somewhere, but couldn't find anything.
>>
>>43729130
How appropriate?
>>
File: 1447698920456.png (5 MB, 1600x1131) Image search: [Google]
1447698920456.png
5 MB, 1600x1131
bumping with art
>>
Damn that game looks good. Well the website at least. Might really get the Books. But pretty expensive I think. If I only wasn't a poor student. Fuck
>>
>>43711553
>even if the way it's written is not conventional to usual RPGs.
Care to explain on that?
>>
Is it possible to get any kind of "magical" powers like some of the enemies have? Like lesser versions or something like that?
>>
File: Tribe8.png (214 KB, 373x587) Image search: [Google]
Tribe8.png
214 KB, 373x587
>>43725740
That makes like 3 people in the world that have heard of it. I'm an Ausanon living in Glorious Nippon.

I love this tribal post-apoc feel. Anyone that like Degensis would be advised to have a look at Tribe 8 as well.
>>
>>43728985
>>43727737
>>43726021
Chernoborg is a famous tribeleader, he and his marauders habe sacked praha republica, one of the biggest civilization.
He now sits in Pollen and is prepare to march into Borca.
>>
>>43732725
Burn is a drug that is made from dried out spores. Depending on which Earth Chakra the spires came from, they give very mild abilities of the associated Pyschonaut. For example, the one associated with Dushani, allows the user to speak in tongues.

It had a pretty big downside though, in that it does infect you with spores. Which means you will probably need to flush your system with some fancy drug Spitalians have (and sell at a high price) or be murdered by Spitalians.
>>
>>43732725
Players can't do full on magic, but many cults have special items or skills that sort of fill the same purpose.
Fox example:
The Anababtistas have special drugs that gives them advantages.
The Chroniclers have gadgets that make them seem like magic to general public.
The Anibians can use there bodies to turn poison into medicine.
Then there are some Pailers who have trained there voice to be so alluring, it borders on mind-control.
The Scrappers can use there ingenuity to build super-item.
That sort of stuff.
>>
>>43736246
pic related.
>>
File: image.jpg (289 KB, 1200x1701) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
289 KB, 1200x1701
>>43734099
>Psychonaut

Every fucking time...
>>
>>43712183
Well I'd want to pirate it before shelling out $99 to buy those books. There's no point if I don't play.
>>
>>43736469
We all do. But at that price you can take bets they will be watermarked.
>>
>>43736336
Weirdly enough. I had the exact opposite problem when Psychonauts fist came out.
>>
>>43731718
OP here, what I meant is that it's written in more of a prose-like or literature style text, like an actual book rather than a book of game mechanics. Which is cool, just not as common to me at least. Most other games I read is straight to the point and rather blunt, here it mingles with rules and stories. If that makes sense.
>>
Also, question, how strong are the Hellvetics as characters? It seems that having that kind of access to armour and assault rifles is a big up on, say, a Clanner with an axe.
>>
I don't suppose anybody managed to get their hands on a source for the german pdf?
>>
>>43736815
They get virtually no ammo until you bound up a few ranks, and the GM has all sorts of ways to get Hellvetics kicked out of the ranks (most of which involve loss or failure to maintain their precious Trailblazers).
>>
>>43736788
That's not that unusual. WoD does it, as do most narrative driven games. However having an entire book just for fluff is a bit uncommon.
>>
>>43736822
So I guess that means that having a rifle in this game is a huge advantage, as long as you have bullets, which I take it are scarce at best? So there will mostly be melee?
>>
>>43736835
Think Metro, but with a fraction of the ammo.
>>
>>43736820
nope, nobody here get the german pdf or want to share it.. lurking since release
>>
>>43737073
There was one photographed copy.
>>
>>43737089
yeah, but just the second book
>>
>>43734099
>Taking drugs to fuck shit up
works for me

>>43736246
Okay, thats good enough I think

Thank you both

>>43736788
Alright, thanks. Is it engaging to read? Like, does it suck you in?
>>
>>43737263
>Is it engaging to read? Like, does it suck you in?

At first I was a bit put off but that was because I wasn't used to it, but it changed. The writing is really good, if you ask me.
>>
Anyone know the story behind this guy?

"It's a group of wayward Chroniclers, that wandered across the Reaper's Blow and set up a new HQ outside of the parent cult's zone of control. Hence the name, they sting like a Needle under the flesh."

This is what the artist wrote, but I kinda feel there must be more to this. Are they like a darker, "heretical" sort of Chronicler subcult?
>>
>>43737517
They were some of the most influential members of the cult and were sent over the Reaper's Blow to expand the cult's influence. But hey brook ties and then used there technical knowledge to assert power and become something like local warlords if I recall correctly.
>>
I'd like to have a lick at the Pregnoktics pussy 2bh. Would post a picture but there's full nudity. But it's on Marko Djurdjevics DA
>>
>>43737749
I bet it tastes like shellfish.
>>
File: Yonic Symbolism.jpg (242 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
Yonic Symbolism.jpg
242 KB, 848x1200
>>43737749
>>43737761
Got you covered.
>>
>>43737921
Nice censor.
>>
>>43737749
I would, if I was a braver man, go for the chick portrayed in the Cockroach clan. Damn.
>>
>>43737987
What do you mean? A quick search through the original Degenesis Book does not yield any results. And on the DA page I can also not find what you are taling about
>>
File: CockroachClanner.png (813 KB, 510x776) Image search: [Google]
CockroachClanner.png
813 KB, 510x776
>>43738122
The Katharsys book, the one with the game mechanics, has a list of known Clans, one of which is the Cockroaches. This is a pic from the german book, of which a guy had photographed.

If you want, I can upload it to some page to share. Dunno what sites are reliable uploaders though.
>>
>>43738138
Oh it's from the Rebirth. Well no wonder I haven't found anything.
Man, I really hope the Black Edition doesn't sell out too fast. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that. Also weird that the german limited variant seems to have the normal books instead of some special ones.
Well, whatever.
If you want to upload the pictures I'd either go for imgur if they should be viewable via the web, or just zip them up and put them on hitlers.kz , uguu.se or pomf.io
>>
>>43738185
Well, it's an entire .pdf actually. Most of the pictures themselves can probably be found on the net in better quality, though..
>>
>>43738209
Wait, I'm a bit confused. I thought you had a few photographs as pictures lying around. Or are the photographs inside the pdf? Or do you have Katharsys in some form as pdf?
Anyways, if you wanna upload it the three last methods work with pdf files, hitlers.kz (50MB) and pomf.io (256MB) are permanent and uguu.se (50MB) deletes the file after 24 hours. In parenthesis are the maximum filesizes for the services.
>>
>>43738252
It's 288MB, neither will fit.
>>
>>43738269
Okay ... well you've got me intrigued. Could you split the file with 7zip or something similair?
Sorry for the hassle man
>>
>>43738269
mediafire
>>
>>43738276
>>43738339
Uploading to 4shared atm. Wait 10 or so minutes.
>>
>>43738362
Thanks a lot! Can't wait to take a look at it.
>>
>>43738397
It's in german, and like I said, photographed, so the quality is shitty and unless you can read german, have fun on google translate. But this alone was what tipped me over the edge and made me buy the book.
>>
>>43738397
http://www 4shared com/office/ZgOkFUEpce/Katharsys.html

Replace spaces with periods. Have fun.
>>
>>43738412
>>43738430
>It's in german
Keine Sorge, das schaff ich schon :3
Und nochmals vielen Dank fürs Hochladen!

I think I might buy it after Christmas. What I've seen so far is just incredible.
>>
>>43738438
I took german in school (much to my father's lament) and all I seem to remember fluently is "Entshuldigung, ich haben in mein hosen gemachen", pardon any spelling mistakes and/or grammar.
>>
>>43738460
Haha, why do you remember that sentence? A friend of mine tried to learn "I shit my pants" in every language he came across. If he met someone who spoke a language he did not already know that sentence in he'd ask him to teach it to him.
Also: Why did your father not like you learning german?
>>
>>43738499
It was the only one I really took time to learn.

And he disapproved because according to him I should've taken Spanish, because "it's a more widely spoken language."
>>
>>43738362
4shared is shit.
>>
>>43738533
Well it worked, so.
>>
File: 1400708614932.gif (2 MB, 245x294) Image search: [Google]
1400708614932.gif
2 MB, 245x294
>>43738430
>needs to disable adblock
>>
>>43738566
Do as you please, you grognard.
>>
>>43738412
>>43738438
Second geranon here, you're doing good work.
>>
>>43738590
Don't thank me, I'm just re-uploading it from an original uploader from like a month ago when there were daily Degenesis threads.
>>
>>43738513
German is a great language to learn. It follows strict grammatical structure and only has one case less than Latin. If you're into linguistics, there aren't many living languages like that. Most replace proper cases with prepositions and become very vague.

If you want to learn Spanish, Italian, Romanian, or Portugese you're already secure in the grammar and just need new vocabulary. And other languages become much easier to understand in general. You also realize what a phenomenal clusterfuck French is, and how its influence has wrecked English.

>>43738566
>disable adblock
They also know who you are and keep track what you downloaded.
>>
>>43738430

is this the pdf or a photographed version?
>>
>>43738614
Yea, well, no need to lecture me on that. My dad's an idiot, so I took his complaints with a grain of salt.

He moved to the Canary Islands several years past, and he still hasn't learned any Spanish last I heard.

>>43738627
It's the photographed version.
>>
>>43738634
ok, already got one, but thanks for uploading !
primal punk wasnt photographed, right?

i looking for this got damn fucking german pdf for 2 months now... hope at least the english one will be out in a week or two
>>
>>43738653
Haven't seen any traces of the Primal Punk, no, sorry.

Here's hoping for the proper digital .pdfs soon.
>>
>>43738665
i guess the english version is the last chance to get it
>>
>>43738614
>It follows strict grammatical structure

There is however one exception to that, and that's grammatical gender. While there are some general guidelines there (e.g. dimunitives are always neutral, words ending on a vocal tend to be feminine more often than not), it's pretty damn arbitrary and there are about as many exceptions as there are rules. That tends to be one of the things that people learning it as a second language have the most trouble with, especially when starting out from a language without grammatical gender.
>>
>>43738726
You should read Clement's thoughts on the matter.
>>
Bumping with art
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Can't decide who's cooler, the Scourgers or the Palers.
>>
>>43740017
That lionhead looks like it just heard an amazing joke
>>
>>43740062
"What do you call a lion wearing a stylish hat? A dandy lion"
"Ehehehehe.."
>>
Fucking Palers have such cool fluff, man.
>>
>>43740443
Could you give us a run down on them?
>>
>>43740443
I still don't see how top genetic prospects became stunted molemen in about 500 years
>>
File: dea.jpg (228 KB, 963x830) Image search: [Google]
dea.jpg
228 KB, 963x830
>>43741483
>>
>>43741346
Basically, when the meteors started falling, they became the caretakers of several higher-up status people who went into cryostasis in underground bunkers, and during the years, have devolved to >>43741483 this, due to power failing, and living in constant darkness only lit up by LED screens, and scurrying about their underground tunnels, coming to believe that the people in the stasispods are Gods or similar thereof.

Their gear is like, strange digital "artefacts" and they use submachineguns and Night Vision Goggles and s tuff.
>>
>>43741742
Like what >>43736246 mentions, their Demagouge leaders are so potent at speaking and leading people that they can basically use their powers for pseudo-mindcontrol. Also, lots of ambush tactics and stuff, and they get penalties in bright light until you get to the higher ranks which trains for that to balance that weakness.
>>
So what's some good ideas how to bring together a group of different cults? Like, what're some shared motivations? I can see Spitalians working with almost anyone, to get rid of mutants and such, and Hellvetics to protect the common people, and I can see a Chronicler tagging along to hunt for treasures. But what place does, say, a Clanner have in such a group?
>>
This thread is dead, isn't it? Last bump.
>>
Anyone know anything about Marauders?
>>
>>43743402
Are those the "Godlike" entities in the world? Just read a bit about that, where Chernobog was included, the one >>43726230 mentioned. Assumedly they are big scary creatures that are very old and very powerful. Chernobog allegedly as a giant from the Northeastern part of Borca which gathered a host of Clanners and tore down the Praha Republik.
>>
>>43743634
>>43743402
an anon before mentioned that they were essentially enhanced super humans whose upgrades slowly begin to fail so they prey on each other and other enhanced humans because their blood contains special nanites that help to reignite their own systems. If they don't do this they eventually start to decay until they eventually die. or at least hats what i got from it. pic related
>>
>>43743634
There's also one called Argyre the Scavenger, One-legged Aspera, Aries the Ram and Ice Breaker. I am guessing they can be used as plot devices for the GM or Giant Scary Monsters(tm)
>>
>>43742521
you can go with a seven samurai approach, they're brought together to protect a settlement from attack and become tied to that settlement. Basically any approach where they offer their services as mercenaries, just up to you to create a bbeg who warrants attention from all those cults.
>>
>>43744047
That's a good idea. Making it a Clanner settlement gives the players a base of operations or homestead sort of deal.
>>
>>43742521
Clanners and Scrappers are usually relatively easy to add to a group as they don't have any enemy by default and tend to know there why around the wasteland and because of that are often hired as guides.
Judges are a bit difficult outside there own territory. They usually need a personal interest or a mission to leave it.
Africans always need a very good reason to hang out with filthy white scum. Maybe they are stranded, maybe they are on the run, maybe they have a hidden agenda or maybe they just want to hunt exotic beast for there trophy wall.
Apocalyptics are easy, they might join a group simply for the hope of riches out out of boredom.
Anababtistas are mostly willing to fight anyone and anything they perceive as evil.
Pailers will often be runaways or have hidden agendas.
Chroniclers often have political interest or hop for new technological discoveries.
Jehammedans are difficult due to there tight family structure. They might be on a mission, runaways or hope to make a name for themselves.
>>
>>43744814
I like those ideas, I'll keep them in mind for a potential group in the future.
>>
>>43733825
I've heard about it from a chick on a Gothic dating site. I am only slightly ashamed.
>>
>>43728985
That fucking R making it sound like it's from an overrated series for nerds.
>>
>>43738754
I'd be interested in this. Could you provide a bit more information so I can find the article or book itself?
>>
>>43747673
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awful_German_Language
>>
>>43747739
Sounds like some retard didn't realize how shitty English language is. Or is it some sort of English humor?
>>
>>43747955
It's a polemical essay by Mark Twain.
>>
>>43748092
I don't know anything about him besides the fact that he wrote Tom Sawyer book.
>>
>>43747955
It is possibly the funniest linguistic speech I know. And he held it in German. As a native German speaker I appreciate his wit and his insight, as well as the proto Pythonian absurdity. Maybe look into it?
>>
>>43748184
>Maybe look into it?
Maybe. 33 pages of sarcasm is not very attractive to me, though.
>>
>>43747739
Thanks, anon. Appreciate it.
>>
Artistic nudity is not porn
>>
>>
File: d9h0o07.jpg (86 KB, 680x485) Image search: [Google]
d9h0o07.jpg
86 KB, 680x485
>>43748160
You are a sad and incomplete person.
>>
>>43751478
Tits ain't proper nudity.
>>
>>43751478
Yeah, most of the time I'm generally leery of games that go heavy on the fanservice (lol Kingdom Death), but in this case it doesn't seem to bother me at all. I suppose the difference here is that it just fits into the overall aesthetic quite well. Degenesis seems very committed to being "properly" post-apocalyptic, in that most people have moved beyond the idea of rebuilding or returning to old glory, and instead just try to hang on as best they can. In that context, it doesn't seem a bit out of place that most people would not even care about nudity.

Or perhaps it's just because I actually like the game a whole lot and am more forgiving towards it than others as a result.
>>
File: P5140386.jpg (2 MB, 3968x2976) Image search: [Google]
P5140386.jpg
2 MB, 3968x2976
>>43711553
This is a block from my house
>>
>>43752166
I agree with this. I myself am feeling a big Mad Max Fury Road feel to it all, and all its craziness. This world is rebuilding from a catastrophe and now, there are people whose normality we would considering madness. So yea, half-naked barbarian women does make sense. Who cares about tits when the person with them has a giant axe and heading your way?

I mean I would, but that's my fetish, and I doubt I would survive in this world
>>
New art for Degenesis:

"WIP of one of the main characters of our upcoming DEGENESIS book. Frankan Resistance leader."
>>
Eh?
>>
>>43754713
Eh what?
>>
>start a new campaign today
>a single wolf thing gets two successive attacks thanks to Trigger rolls and legitimately kills the Judge of the party
God damn
>>
>>43754713
>>43754878
EEEEEH!
>>
>>43754910
Oh damn, that's brutal.

Storytime though! Tell us of your game! This thread needs some actual play rather than speculations.
>>
>>43754910
>>43754936
Seconded, I'd love to hear some actual play of this game.
>>
>>43754936
The game did not go for long because we had other shit that came up, but I'll try.

We had two players. I was playing a Chronicler, and I had started with the right stats to start at the Mediator level. The other player was playing a Judge, who started at the City Judge level cause he couldn't get his stats high enough at character creation to go higher.

Our campaign started with the vague rumor that some cunt in a settlement a few days away was fraudulently printing money without permission, and as a Chronicler this was bad. I convinced the Judge to come along as a patrol thing, mostly because he wasn't doing shit all else.

A few days into the trip some wolf thing attacked us, and normally we should have been able to deal with it but the fucker got two attacks with double triggers. So he hit the Judge with a bazillion damage and killed him within one round
>>
>>43754919
Macarena!
>>
>>43755017
Holy shit. Well, that sounds like a short game indeed.

Were you, as a Chronicler, able to do any cool stuff?
>>
>>43755059
I was able to make the wolf animal run away by screaming at it for a few rounds.
Pretty much the only reason I got out of that fight alive
>>
>>43755077
Did you two get to do any more rolling besides combat? Like, did you have a chance to try the system, apart from getting your shit kicked in by a wolf mutant?
>>
>>43755090
Not really, unfortunately. We would've played more but other people showed up who weren't interested in playing this so other games were played.
It's a really cool system and character creation was honestly super fun. But I wouldn't recommend a group play it with just two players and a game master. We needed a medic or a scrapper. Preferably both. It seems to me a good, balanced party needs at least three, if not four people. Otherwise combat will screw you
>>
>>43755131
When you managed to get to the rank of Mediator, was that difficult in that you had to focus to get there, or did it flow naturally? Like, did the Judge character just not get to his next rank because he focused on other skills and so?
>>
>>43755160
I got Mediator pretty damn easily. As a Chronicler I focused on skills that would be important to me regardless, which in this case was engineering and artifact lore. I admittedly knew what I was going for when I spent my background points, which you only get four points and I had to put three points into Network and Secrets.

Judge guy on the other hand got fucked. He easily got to the second rank of his class, but third rank took a lot of skill and attribute points that he just couldn't really get through character creation
>>
How are the new chargen mechanics?
>>
>>43755397
I'm curious about this as well. And the new system in general. Since the pdf for the English version aren't done yet near as I could find, knowing the system updates to some degree would be of use.

Have the old book; actually bought it and love the setting. Would love to start running a game in it. Probably gonna get a hardback copy if some checks come in, but until such a time would anyone be willing to sum up how the mechanics play now?

Also how much did they change the palers? Because >>43741742 doesn't look a lot like the degenerate moleman vault-worshipers. Unless I'm confusing cultures.
>>
>>43755435
From what I saw from the books, palers are still creepy fucks from the underground. They have weird bodies and skin that's all covered in sores and shit because the sun fucks them up.
Me and the Judge were both playing Borcans so we didn't have to worry about it, but we did look into it.
>>
>>43755435
What about this guy?
>>
>>43755017
I think you where playing the example adventure from the corebook.
>>
>>43755779
Maybe? I wasn't the GM obviously, so I don't know if he was making it up as he went or if he was going from the book
>>
>>43755435
>>43755397
chargen is the one thing in the new system that is still reminiscent of the old version. You pick a culture, a concept and a cult. Concept is now your world view rather then your upbringing. each choice increases your max starting rank in related skills and attributes.
You distribute points to attributes and skills. In this steep you have to chose between Focus and Primal, to show weather your character is impulsive or calculating, and between Will and Faith, to show weather your character puts more believes in himself or a higher cause. Both choices are relevant to certain characteristics, as well as your characters behavior and even xp costs.
Each cult has a career-tree and your stats determiner at what rank in your cult you can start. Your rank determiners your starting equipment and each rank comes with special perks and privileges.
After that your distribute points to your Origins. These are largely identical to backgrounds in WoD and determine your personal influence, resources, fame, etc.
You also get one point in Potentials. Potentials are various, mostly cult-specific perks you can learn that might give your certain bonuses or special ability.
and that's more or less it.
>>
>>43755435
I've been thumbing through the german Katharsys document and mechanically it seems pretty straightforward and simple. I'm not actually familiar with the first edition, so a bunch of this is probably going to be identical to what you know. It's a d6 dicepool system, with 4+ being successes. For pretty much every test (including combat) you just roll Attribute+Skill, with the required number of successes determined by the difficulty. Any six you roll in a successful roll is a Trigger and determines the quality of the success. For regular skill rolls it just means a better result, in contested rolls they're a tie-breaker, and in combat they're added directly to your damage and may activate certain weapon qualities.
Sometimes you may also have to pass two skill rolls for a single action, e.g. Stealth and Melee Combat for a sneaky backstab. In that case you need to pass the required successes for both tests for the action to succeed, but you also get to add the Triggers from both tests together.

Combat is similarly straightforward. It works off of a simple initiative ladder determined by a regular test each round. Only unusual thing is that for every two triggers you get an additional action in your turn on top of the single one you get by default. The primary actions you can take are either Attacking or Actively Defending, everything that's not big enough for a full action (including movement) just imposes a malus on the roll for your actual action. Attacks are usually rolled against a passive defense (default 1 plus certain potential modifiers) or, if the target chooses an Active Defense, in a contested roll. Melee combat also makes room for striking an immediate counter-attack if you defend well enough.

Damage is usually static depending on your weapons and attributes, Triggers are usually the only variable to add on top of it. Damage is tracked via simple health boxes, the first portion being flesh wounds with no effects and the rest imposing a malus.
>>
>>43757100
This is a really good summary of the game, well done.
The only thing I would add is that flesh wounds are not the only way to do damage. There's also your Ego points, which serve a lot of purposes. You can spend Ego points to add dice to your rolls, but if a character reaches zero Ego points they are forced to flee from a battle.
I bring this up because if you plan to play a Chronicler, unless you spend money on a weapon, the only thing you can do in combat is cause ego damage.
>>
>>43757306
Ah yeah, Ego's another fairly important thing in combat. In addition to basically being your health-equivalent against mental attacks, you can also spend it during an initiative phase to gain one extra die per point spent for both the initiative roll itself *and* the first action of your round. Since most commonly your dice pools tend to be in the 6-10 range (for things you're trained in, at least), that's a pretty big deal and can absolutely make the difference between life and death in a pinch. Of course, it also makes you that much more vulnerable to ego-targeting attacks.
>>
>>43759329
I don't get how you get Ego back though, is it just through sleep? Cause one thing I like about FFG's Star Wars game is the equivilent Strain which you can get back during combat and other effects meaning you can spend it almost as fast as you can get it back.
>>
>>43759377
Yeah, you just regenerate it at a set rate of one per 24 hours. Additionally whenever you manage to play to your character's concept, the GM may grant you d6 points of Ego immediately. Finally there are a few Potentials that may restore Ego, as well as certain drugs.
>>
>>43759377
There are two standard ways to regain Ego. One night of sleep gives you one point, so yeah, it is a slow process. Alternatively you get 1d6 points if you perform acts that fit your Concept.
Beyond that there are various items and potentials that give your ego back.
>>
>>43759600
>>43759694
This reason why the Judges codex is one of the best item in the game.
>>
>>43759717
Don't have the book infront of me, what does it do?
>>
>>43759759
You can meditate on it for one round (that appears to be one full round, not just one action) to immediately regain 1 Ego. It doesn't seem to be limited in any other way, so it looks like Judges can go back to full within just a minute after each battle.
>>
>>43759759
You can meditate over it for one turn to regenerate one Ego-point.
>>
I noticed one thing. When making a Clanner, your equipment depends on the Tech level of your clan. Where can I determine what the level is? Does the different clans have varying levels or can I just make that up as fluff?
>>
>>43712709
>>43725740
>Tribe 8
Nice setting and story but the system has some major issues.
>>
>>43760337
There's a small section (page 59 in the german version, immediately after the clanner career section) that allows you to build your own clan, or even randomly generate one. It's probably best if you confer with your GM what kind of clan would be appropriate.
>>
>>43760601
Oh, cool, does it include the major clans mentioned later in the book, like the Romanis and the Cockroaches and so?
>>
File: poland degenesis.png (28 KB, 572x545) Image search: [Google]
poland degenesis.png
28 KB, 572x545
Pollen master race.
>>
File: 1445827421630.jpg (115 KB, 800x1173) Image search: [Google]
1445827421630.jpg
115 KB, 800x1173
>>
>>43760353
Dat true anon, dat true. On the other hand, most beautiful magic system (even if it inherits problems ov the system ion general)
>>
what i never understood about post apocalyptic games is how certain factions rebuild their industrial bases and create 'cities'. the neo Libyans here and the NCR in fallout.
>>
>>43766578
Nordafrika didn't get directly hit like Europe did, so much of it survived comparatively unscathed (bar the water level fuckery).
>>
File: 1445167807408.png (3 MB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
1445167807408.png
3 MB, 848x1200
>>
>>43733825
I have also heard of it and am an ausanon in aus.
>>
Is it bad that I want to play a clanner mostly because the art gives me a fearboner?
>>
>>43768659
No I love the clanners and fearboners, sex and fear go hand in hand. There's a reason why there's so much sex in horror films. I really want to find a good picture of the Cockroach Clanners from the german book to really satisfy the fearboner.
>>
File: 1448195485204.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1448195485204.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>43768678
Will this do, anon? Took it out my own book
>>
>>43769494
There was anon who complained about shaved bodies. I guess he would be happy now.
>>
This feels like what Numenara would have been had it had a dev with more broad interests and desire to really work his material.
>>
>>43769547
While I like Numenera myself, I do sort of agree with your point. I usually describe this game as Numenera, but only 500+ years in the future, with Fallout and Fury Road inspirations, with a touch of Metro and Stalker. It usually helps to get the feel across.
>>
>>43769494
10/10 would happily get ravaged by.
>>
>>43769615
>>
Art bump.

Eyepatches makes everyone cooler.
>>
>>43770632
Everything about this picture just screams "Grand Vizier" to me.
>>
>>43770787
looks too sleazy to be a legitimate ruler, more like two timing arms merchant
>>
Anyone have any word on the pdf release in English? They said second half of November, which I'd say we're somewhat into at the moment.
>>
>>43725039
>>43772566
Well this Anon has something.
>>
>>43772927
D'oh.
Thanks. Fucking missed that.

So out of curiosity, anyone know what state Greece is in for 2595? Was thinking of doing a bit of a domain game down there with various warlords, African slave-trade, and an emphasis on naval travel. Get some gladiatorial bullshit going on for the sake of having it.

Sort of Water World up the apocalypse for the coastline and the islands. Smokers as clanners, things like that. Maybe old ancient UN things that were trying to defuck the region prior to the end of days. Give it some Sword & Sandal Post-Apocalyptia feel.
>>
>>43773090
You ARE aware that the Mediterranean, like all oceans, is significantly lower?
>>
>>43773151
Yeah. I meant more thematically/aesthetically for a warlord or some such. The water levels are significantly lower, but there's still a Mediterranean sea after all.

Maybe emphasis on naval travel should've been phrased to be more "you'll need a boat to get from island to island or to the Neolibiyan's pleasure yacht." Resource management for that sort of overworld travel.
>>
File: Degenesis Karte.jpg (1 MB, 1138x1600) Image search: [Google]
Degenesis Karte.jpg
1 MB, 1138x1600
>>43773227
Check it out.
>>
>>43773276
What does the Sichelschlag represent? Also, why is Britain connected to mainland-Europe?
>>
>>43773548
There were some major tectonic shifts, britain pretty much crashed into continental europe. Also italy now has a great mountain range bisecting it into north and south halves.
>>
>>43773548
The Sichelschlag is where the main impact occured. The channel is gone.
>>
File: Cockroach.jpg (443 KB, 1280x1810) Image search: [Google]
Cockroach.jpg
443 KB, 1280x1810
>>43737987
>>43738138
>>43769494
Censored it up.
https://40.media.tumblr.com/37ad5299ece74a0e299f2dbfad44b09d/tumblr_nwb9mvN3181uizip3o1_1280.jpg
>>
>>43774403
Muh diiiiiiiiiick.
>>
>>43774403
Thanks sir.
>>
>>43774403
I just love the design overall. So fucking cool.
>>
>>43773616
>>43773548
No, the Sichelschlag or Reaper's Blow in English is a mountain range that separates Europe into east and west. When the asteroids hit, they caused a tectonic shift, which in turn lead to the creation of the Reapers Blow. Dew to earthquakes, toxic gas, active volcanoes and possibly monsters and other fun stuff is virtually impassable. The only why across is a pass that is keeps open by the Helveticans.
>>
>>43773574
That and the sea-level drooped significantly, which is why you can walk from Africa it Spain.
>>
>>43774403
Bless you sir.
>>
>>43774403
Is there a whole tumblr page with these pictures?
>>
>>43775450
sixmorevodka.tumblr.com
>>
>>43711553
Please stop shilling this game.
>>
>>43736483
Watermarks can be removed, real easy.
>>
>>43777214
You don't know what shill means.
>>
>>43737921
would your dick just dissolve if you put it in her?
>>
>>43777585
It would hurt
>>
File: 1389919503864.jpg (179 KB, 666x662) Image search: [Google]
1389919503864.jpg
179 KB, 666x662
>>43777585
>>43778175
>>
>>43777393
Is the game out?

No?

Guess that means this thread is meant to generate hype, right?
>>
>>43778877
Son, I've been hyped about this game for years. That isn't the issue.
>>
>>43778877
It is out actually, in physical copy form. PDF is not yet out in English anyway, the german version apparently is out in PDF.

Hype may be present, but the game is out. And we've been waiting on it for a bit.

>>43773276
So reading through the first edition book, save for the purging of Turkey there's not much mentioned of Greece or the Greeks. Going to have to hope there's some mention in the Rebirth edition, but if not I'll just kitbash myself something.

Also anyone else notice the AMSUMO went from being blue-plated to being red for the new edition? They were essentially UN security bots; so blue made some sense.
>>
>>43778175
eh, can't be worse than fucking an apocalyptik, right?
>>
>>43778877
You're clearly out of your element, just here to try and gain some cheap "epin troll XD", so just go ahead and leave and we'll continue our business.

>>43779167
Haven't read about the AMSUMO yet, but they look really interesting at least.
>>
>>43779739
How do you managed misspell "clanner" so bad?
>>
Do you get boner when killing mutants?
>>
>>43783079
You don't?
>>
>>43783079
>implying I don't have a huge bulge inside my slim Spitalian outfit whenever I use my splayer
>>
>>43783079
It's the combat drugs
>>
>>43787833
Suuure it is, brother... We all know it's not the drugs.
>>
>>43778877
>The game is out
>People are discussing the lore/factions and hoping for some intel on an elusive english pdf
>MUH SHILL LOOK GUYS I'M DISLIKE THIS THREAD!
>>
>>43787833
>>43787840
They say love is the greatest drug of them all, after all.
>>
File: Love_is_a_battlefield...jpg (220 KB, 617x891) Image search: [Google]
Love_is_a_battlefield...jpg
220 KB, 617x891
>>43789857
Thread replies: 245
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.