[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27
File: Characters For An Epic Tale.jpg (343 KB, 630x800) Image search: [Google]
Characters For An Epic Tale.jpg
343 KB, 630x800
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

Old thread >>43695169

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Which of these characters best describe your party?
>>
>>43709677
The nudist, the boy, and the minotaur.
>>
Do you guys keep track of food and supplies?
it seems very boring to do so, so in my games we dont keep track. I am wondering if maybe there is an interesting way of handling supplies i can implement in my games.
>>
>>43709888
no but its been a few months and we haven't ever left town

also its only been one night thusfar
>>
>>43709888

Yeah I keep track because it brings the grognard out in me and honestly I like that it keeps everyone from carrying infinite gear.

Once shit like bags of holding show up it's less of an issue but unlike 3.P Heward's handy haversack isn't a common level 2 item.
>>
>>43710000
i mean top
>realworld
bottom
>in game

time wise
>>
>>43709888
Woah son, what do you think this is? 4th edition? You will track every ration and flask of water you have. If you hunt then that's a 50% chance of a random encounter. If you fill up at a stream then roll to see if you get dysentery or some magic nature aids that I modified from the DMG.

Fucking OP Rangers and Outlander background are banned too.
>>
File: 3903516147_9f282fca0e_o.jpg (569 KB, 1134x794) Image search: [Google]
3903516147_9f282fca0e_o.jpg
569 KB, 1134x794
>>43710076
not who you responded to but i would honestly love to play a hardcore survival game when out in the woods traveling

i have so many campaign wants but i don't want to be a DM so it'll never happen....

anyone else have that problem?
>>
>>43710076

You jest but I actually kinda like roleplaying the survival aspects of an adventure.

Outlander Barbarian and Ranger spend their time foraging for food.

Cleric and Dorf collect water and firewood

Halfling cooks dinner (typically something like rabbit stew)

Bard plays music to keep up everyone's spirits and helps the Elf clean up dishes.

If outdoors then they feed the ponies and setup tents and if in a dungeon they just setup bedrolls and drive a iron spike under the door to make sure any badguys can't get in.

Maximum comfy in this campaign
>>
>>43709888
Only from time to time. As a DM I just put the pressure on if the players have been out in the wilderness and haven't had a windfall/foraged/been to town to stock up lately. Rather than micromanage supplies I just go for "opening your packs you find that your supplies are running low, there's only enough dry food left for two days. If you don't find supplies or go picking berries soon you'll be starving." and hey presto, the players go out and do something.

Usually they're simply en-route to a destination and I only do it to spice things up (it's a 100 on my d100 encounters table), but if they're wandering aimlessly I'll set a time limit before I do it to them.
>>
>>43710180

I like throwing the occasional underwater entrance to a dungeon so that the PCs are kinda forced to decide what sort of gear that they are going to bring with them because for the most part their packs aren't watertight and nobody wants to be swimming in full armor.

Plus even if you strip down to a gambeson or leather you are going to have to deal with wet gear as you run around the dungeon and that can get chilly and lead to hypothermia.
>>
>Making an aquatic themed adventure
>Conflicted about allowing aquatic races whose powers might mess up progression
>But when else is anyone going to play a Water Genasi

fug
>>
>>43709888
No. I can't stand survival challenges.
>>
>>43709677
The Fairy (Pixie Cleric), The Girl (Human Noble Monk), and The Hairy Beast (Human Barbarian). Our 4th person dodged out of too many games so we offed him and proceeded. He would of been The Escapist (Half-elf Criminal Bard).
>>
The birdman, the prophet of doom and maybe the lunatic
>>
>>43709888
Always keep track of their food, where in the world they are, and their backgrounds. A lot of interesting roleplay can happen when you tell the party they are starving to death because they were too stingy to buy food before the long trip to the abandoned temple in the middle of nowhere.
>>
File: X Party X.jpg (64 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
X Party X.jpg
64 KB, 736x547
>>43710185
This all sounds like very nice and relaxed. Though you shouldn't RP every night out I feel that giving everyone a role for things like this and having them RP out once or twice or every now and again would be a great thing to do to help wind down after a big fight or something.
>>
>>43710517

My brother from another mother.

I also like the fact that actually forcing people to track consumables gives people a reason to go into town which allows for more sandbox and more social interaction with NPCs.

Plus as they get to be higher level they might have to spend their time negotiating with some night hags for food as they trek across Hades or something.
>>
>>43710401
I would allow them to play water gensai but ban the entire party from being that same race unless they work it into their backstory that they have been lifelong friends or something similar. Since the race is quite rare.
>>
>>43710583

I don't do it every night and that more or less represents the average camping night just like you might setup an average walking formation.

That way you can set the scene for bigger events like a goblin raid on their campsite as the goblins try to run off with their horses.
>>
Our group tends to mutilate every monster we come across and rip them for parts such as eyes, teeth, hides, meats.
3 of our party members are starting a jerky business.
>>
>>43710076
>dysentery in the woods
Dysentery epidemics in London came from the fact that you had millions of people shitting up the Thames, not just a handful deer.

Also
>not using wool filtering
>>
>>43710620
Exactly.

Iv'e been nice with my party with it thus far because they are still level 2 but atm they have no more food supplies they were given only enough to get to their destination. I think our barbarian has outlander as his BG so they will be fine in the general wilderness, but the mountains and the later game areas will not be so forgiving, plus I'm probably gonna have him roll an insight when he hunts to remember to grab more that just animal hearts. At least for the first time he goes out to hunt with his Outlander feature.
>>
>>43710647
ah ok then. Sounds pretty solid.
>>
File: 0sMCp6R.jpg (13 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
0sMCp6R.jpg
13 KB, 300x250
>>43710185
It's a shame, I've played in games with rule modifications to make combat much more lethal (3.5 at the time) in addition to lots of focus on simply staying alive, foraging included, and I had a ton of fun with it. The guy with ranks in Survival was awesome, and there were actually reasons to pick up some class features people would normally ignore. So I decided to run a game in a similar setting, let the players know ahead of time it was the kind of thing I had in mind, that they would start with relatively little (plot reasons, not just spite) and might have to make do with spears and shit until they get some personal wealth. It's not any of the players' faults, but I could just tell that nobody really enjoyed that angle of the game after the first few sessions. Once logistics questions like how to supply for extended adventuring came up half the party would zone out and just completely ignore things until it was fight o' clock again.

Changed the game style, more classic D&D, but I'm still kinda disappointed. Also, GOD FORBID ANYTHING LET RANGERS SHINE FOR ANYTHING. NO, MAKE A PARTY OF FIGHTERS AND ROGUES WITH NO SPECIALIZATION IN SURVIVAL AND GET UPSET.
>>
>>43710718

>not having the goblin tribe basically contaminating their water supply with all sorts of nasty microbes that they are basically immune to.

Giardia, dysentary, cholera

>plus glass wool filtering in a fantasy setting

I bet you don't even have your PCs following the Miasma theory of disease.

Fucking heretic with your germ theory of disease
>>
>>43710769

>trying to go boar hunting without a good boar spear

Sounds like they need a good goring from a tusker
>>
File: 1413244362811.jpg (132 KB, 1200x610) Image search: [Google]
1413244362811.jpg
132 KB, 1200x610
>>43710013
>>43710211
>>43710517
>>43710620

What are some simple ways of dealing with stuff like this (encumbrance, food, supplies, etc?)

I'd like to use 'mundane' dangers, but I'm not sure how to go about doing so without a lot of complicated and game-slowing rolls.
>>
>>43710794
>implying outlander elves give a shit about your backwards amnian faggotry
>>
>>43710718
This is magic forest dysentery, anon.

Microscopic fae shreddin' your pooper.
>>
>>43710826
Never do encumbrance. Unless they are trying to steal / carry away something huge and unreasonable or just trying to carry 3 greataxes & 4 longswords and plate armor and full gear pack and ect., the encumbrance rule is just completely unreasonable imo.
>>
Are PCs allowed to worship Primordials? I was looking to make a Tempest Cleric of Istishia that made his living as a sailor before joining the party. I don't really want to worship an evil god like Umberlee or Talos.
>>
>>43710903
My favorite way of going at it is a TW1-style inventory. Backpack, belt pouch, belt hooks, a few rapidly accessible items.
>>
>>43710912
Ask your DM.

Frankly, shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>43710826

Just make the PCs use rations (which weigh a lot) when they don't have an outlander or ranger keeping them supplied.

Gives people an incentive to get the outlander background instead of all urchin/sailor all the time.

With the encumbrance rules they are almost certainly going to want to travel with a Mule with saddlebags because otherwise all the gear they have will be a problem for combat speed.

Suddenly the game changes alot tactically because they are going to want to shack up at a farmhouse or abandoned cabin near the dungeon and then make treks from there every day.

Crashing in a trapper's cabin or a farmer's barn is a great use of the Folk Hero background because suddenly you get a comfy barn to sleep in instead of sleeping on bumpy ground in a downpour.

Plus the farmer's wife will probably make you breakfast and dinner so you don't have to spend so much time foraging and setting up camp.

Plus the farmer might have a comely lass as a daughter for the bard to woo.

Maximum comfy achieved
>>
>>43710944
Sounds pretty solid.

I ususally just keep in mind what the players own and once they start trying to carry more than they can I interject.
>>
>>43710912

Depends on the game world.

If you are playing in PoLand I think the Primordials that created the earth are either dead or imprisoned and typically don't give clerical spells.

Personally I tend to use Primordials as the stand-ins for GOOs in my campaign. So warlocks might bargain with a Primordial for power. It's kinda cool because I like having elemental themed goolocks especially with mephit allies.
>>
>>43710968
>incentive to get the outlander background
I've never had a problem with people ignoring this background, anon. It has been my experience that it is often used as an excuse to play as an unreasoning asocial psychopath.

Remove chaotic anything + outlander. Remove from premises.
>>
>>43711017
A lot of the chaotic background options strike as more good than some of the good ones.
>>
>Be goliath bearbarian
>Carry almost a ton in items
>Not even encumbered
>People want to move faster so we all buy horses
>My horse dies as soon as I mount it
Shiet
>>
>>43710901

>little invisible poop spirits playing tricks on your colon

I kinda like it

I'm tempted to make more of my diseases basically the result of spirits cursing humans. Thus when someone casts cure disease they aren't killing virii or bacteria but actually negotiating with a spirit to give up their hold on the diseased.
>>
>>43711037
That's as may be. I'm entirely aware that this is a player problem, right up there with "lel gnome barbarian."

It's just a more frequent experience than I'd like.
>>
>>43711017

Nah Chaotic Good Wood Elf Outlander Rangers with the guide/forester focus or Chaotic Good Half-Orc Outlander Barbarians with the exile focus are good shit.

Outlander "brown" elves are fucking awesome because they can be more alien and you can get into all fun hijinx like the brown elf having no problems with nudity even though polite society thinks that's a no-no.

Outlander half-orcs get to do the noble savage routine where they loot a crypt, get lots of gold and then go into town to get completely hammered and fuck lots of barmaids. A couple of days later they have lost all their money making dumb bets, bedding whores and drinking wine and they have to rinse and repeat.
>>
>>43711049
The Goliath struggle is real, but a real Goliath attempts to outrun the horse to prove his superiority. I love the Goliath race.
>>
File: 5E Quick Start v1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
5E Quick Start v1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I made this quick character creation sheet for my Roll20 group, anyone see anything blatantly wrong with it? Suggestions on format? Typos? Anything is welcome.
>>
File: 11-Justice.jpg (16 KB, 200x341) Image search: [Google]
11-Justice.jpg
16 KB, 200x341
How do EK's work at higher levels, I feel that once you hit 3 attacks, Attacking would normally be better than most magic you could use. Am I missing something?
>>
I wanna homebrew a class and I've got a vague idea of how I want it to work but I'm shit at minor details and have no idea how to make it a nice .pdf like you guys use.

Any advice?
>>
>>43711049

>playing Goliath Bearbarian in a no encumbrance variance game

Why would you even do this? Goliath's chief advantage is being a packmule on two legs which is negated if you aren't playing with the full encumbrance rules.
>>
>>43711139
You forgot CHA in like the first sentence.
>>
>>43711139
>see anything blatantly wrong with it?
That you're not using point buy or standard array for stats.

I mean, you're welcome to have them roll for stats as long as you realize inevitably half the party will hate the guy who got 18/18/18/16/14/16 "somehow" and lords over the party how good his character is.
>>
>>43711183

EKs are sword first for the most part.

Yeah they have evoker spells but for the most part you should stock up on abjuration spells and wade into melee and rely on being able to spam Shield to make yourself impossible to hit.

Think Witcher and not Swordmage, if you want that then play elven bladesinger
>>
>>43711205
You can try some of the stuff from the Homebrew Pastebin found in the OP http://pastebin.com/ahwNkwar

>>43711219
Damn, thanks.
>>
>>43711234

I prefer a DM generated array personally.

That way you can avoid most of the min-maxing problems of 15/15/14/10/8/8 and Variant Human as well as the "no I totally rolled 4 18s man" issues. Elite Array is okay but tends to leave a bit too many odd attribute scores that will never be boosted.
>>
>>43711210
We play with the normal rules, those that say your carrying capacity is 15xStr, in my case (goliath bearbarian) 15xStrx2x2 = 60xStr, and my Str is 20.
The almost a ton was an exaggeration, I can only carry like 1200lb or so, can lift 2400 though.
Either way, my GM told me that I broke my horse's spine and died on the spot.
>>
>>43711183
>Attacking would normally be better than most magic you could use.
Pretty much. If you have Warcaster, your cantrip opportunity attacks will be larger than your melee opportunity attacks. Also self-casting Haste when you have 3-4 attacks almost costs you as many attacks as you get from the spell, so it's more for the defensive benefits than anything.

You might also get some tanking mileage out of Frostbite or Booming Blade or Shocking Grasp as a main action, or if you need a ranged attack. But other than that the martial-magic integration is piss poor and you're stuck with defensive spells and the occasional movement utility or wall.
>>
>>43709888
>>43710826

>I am wondering if maybe there is an interesting way of handling supplies i can implement in my games.

Acquire small drawstring sack from a hobby store. Should be cheap now as Kindergartens use them a lot around the holiday season.

Find a glass bowl you/your partner/parent/roomate won't miss.

Acquire red glass beads, blue glass beads, the cheapest, shittiest d6s you can find, white beans and black buttons (fairly cheap and always useful).

Assign values. Beads would probably be potions, beans rations, and d6s and buttons stand in for whatever other element you may have in mind.

Note: Don't do Encumberance for EVERYTHING.

>How to use

At the start of the next session the youngest/most inexperienced player receives the drawstring sack, filled with the representations of the party's current supplies. Every time a supply is used, the player pays its equivalent into the glass bowl in front of the GM screen.

This way, everyone has a tangible, easily accessible means to assay the current party supply status and is capable of reminding the relevant people to stock up.

Think this might work for you?
>>
>>43711402
I love you for that idea
>>
>>43711327
I personally use a 15/14/13/13/11/9 array and ban variant human, the array tends to make standard human more attractive, especially for MAD classes.
>>
>>43711139
>You also get additional languages equal to your Intelligence modifier.
Is this a house rule or something I missed in the PHB?
>>
>>43711676
Purely houserule.
>>
>>43711676
Yep, just a houserule. A DM I had some time ago used it and it was pretty fun, so I kept it. Once I'm satisfied with the sheet I'll remove some of that stuff, and share an editable version of it.
>>
>>43711563
Yeah, I've been switching to 29PB, one 15, one 14 as an alternative to the baseline character creation.

For setting purposes I've also done a slightly tweaked human with a baseline of +4 attributes and a regional cultural trait, and tweaked a few of the races (especially changed +Int races into something else since I want wizards to be something rare)
>>
>>43711765
The only change I made to humans was to give them the Half Elf's Skill Versatility trait, beyond that I've kept things pretty much entirely the same.
>>
How do I pic related in 5e?
>>
>>43710185
I love that stuff. I'm big in to exploration games. So I tend to exactly what you describe.

>>43710583
I have them map out an SOP for what they do each night. I'll prompt them a bit when it gets late in game. I will then maybe describe something that comes to mind during their setup for the night - they role a few dice to see how it goes.
>>
I made a demon summoning spell because there were none. Maybe WotC are still afraid of the satanic panic. What do you think?

Conjure Fiend
6th-level conjuration
>Casting Time: 1 minute
>Range: 90 feet
>Components: V, S, M (between zero and ten intelligent living creatures, who must be killed in the same round the spell is cast; the caster need not be the one who kills them)
>Duration: Until the caster ends it
You summon a fiend of challenge rating 6 or lower. The maximum challenge rating increases by 1 for every intelligent creature sacrificed to cast the spell. It appears in an unoccupied space that you can see within range.
The fiend disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends.
The fiend is friendly to you and your companions, as long as you don't take hostile action against it. Roll initiative for the creature, which has its own turns. It obeys any verbal commands that you issue to it (no action required by you). If you don’t issue any commands to the fiend, it defends itself from hostile creatures but otherwise takes no actions.
To end the spell, you must succeed on a saving throw using your spellcasting ability, with a DC equal to the fiend's CR. If you fail, you must wait one hour before you can attempt to end the spell again. You cannot cast this spell again as long as you have
Every hour, you must make a saving throw using your spellcasting ability, with a DC equal to the fiend's CR. If the saving throw is failed, you lose control of the fiend. It may become hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. An uncontrolled fiend can't be dismissed by you, and it disappears only if it drops to 0 hit points.
The DM has the fiend's statistics.
As long as a creature summoned with this spell is under your control, you can't cast the spell again.
>At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the maximum challenge rating increases by 1 for each slot above 6.
>>
>>43712399
Seems about fair, but there should also be a gold cost material component to pay. Probably somewhere around 2000 - 5000 GP. For special papers and ink and other things required for the ritual. It should basically work like your making a contract with the fiend for his services. He would go on your inititive because thats how all companions / familiars / summons work. No saving throw to dismiss the fiend unless you have lost control over it. Also no saving throws to keep the fiend under your control, since that's what the contract and sacrifices are for. A more appropriate penalty to keep it under your control would be to be forced to give it sacrifices every day or every week, or the contract is broken.

That's what I would do at least
>>
How can I make my sailor/pirate (undecided) tempest Cleric more interesting than just lightning viking
>>
>>43713426
Personality traits
>>
>>43713426
different culture?
not letting your pick of culture define your personality?
realizing that there is more to scandinavians than thorshit and rape-burn-kill english historiography?
>>
>>43713534
Yeah, listen to this guy.

Give him extreme xenophobia towards calishites. to better reflect modern Scandinavia
>>
>>43712066

Find the grappler's guide, go full judo.
>>
Is there any good way to do vampirism in a game that starts around level 4~6?

I'm GMing new to 5e but with experience with other editions, and a new player wants to be a vampire.
I've warned them against this because the desire to play a vampire is generally a sort of elegant-gothic power fantasy - which isn't a bad thing in itself - but I've seen a number of cases where new players come up with a character concept "my PC is really experienced and competent and an expert at X" and then get pretty upset when their PC fails at things due to system balance and the unpredictability of d20.

Am I being too harsh? Is there a good way for someone to play a vampire?
>>
>>43714131
Give them sunlight sensitivity and the ability to use a bite attack as a bonus action for 1d4+dex mod damage that heals them for half of the damage dealt. Let the damage scale up at the rate of the monk unarmed strike.

As their vampirism progresses give them bonuses to strength and dex up to a maximum of 18. Increase the sunlight sensitivity to weakness to sunlight and give them the damage from running water when you feel like it.

Just fluff this as they were not bitten by a "true" vampire so the curse takes a while to kick in.

Are you being harsh? Not really. New players need to learn that you grow into a character not start as a fully powered one.
>>
File: vampire prestige class v0-4.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
vampire prestige class v0-4.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43714131
Here's a homebrew I found. I've can't vouch for it's quality, as I've never played it, but it might be useful.
>>
>>43714359
>5 level template
I'd rather make separate race+ templates for each vampire type honestly
>>
>>43714359
>>43714840
Yeah, all I did when a player wanted to have a vamp-like char, was take my monk homebrew (basically improved unarmed strike damage, not everything consumes a bonus action, and the sub-classes are different due to setting), and made that into a class where it lost the ki/flurry stuff, but gained some fighter proficiencies and a few fighter class abilities, added vamp weaknesses of course. The purpose being that it was the blade style of vampire.
>>
>>43713426
Make him really superstitious. He communes with the divine for favorable winds and calm seas for his crew, so have him be constantly on the lookout for good/bad omens, and have him take them VERY seriously, since for him, it's a matter of life and death.
>>
>>43710517
>too stingy to buy food
1st level characters start with 10g and plenty of rations already, unless they are going to be gone for a month, in which case they should know, they would spend almost no money. Higher level characters have more gold so it's no problem. The only problem would be weight if you measured that and if rations even weigh much, I can't recall.
>>
>>43715099
weight is usually the problem.
>>
>>43715218
Overpack your backpack, drop it during fights.
>>
is there any discussion about 3.5 allowed here? I'd rather not create a new thread, I have a fair amount of experience in 3.5 but I have a question about a character
>>
>>43715490
Just make a new thread.
>>
>>43714131
I think one of the better ways to go about it is to give them a power or two and a weakness to balance it out. As they dive deeper into their dark powers, they get more and more weaknesses.

I also wouldn't let a new player play a vampire for their first game unless that's the type of setting you're playing in. They need to get accustomed to plain dnd before they start twisting and customizing it.
>>
>>43714131
Also there's a homebrew vampire race in the pastebin, but I can't vouch for its balance. It might give you some ideas on what to do though.
>>
>>43709677
Sometimes i feel bad about trivializing something my DM comes up with, should i just roll with it instead of using the easy way out?

>DM sets up a dungeonliteral, prison style full of zombies in cells and were going to clear them out
>say, hold on, walk up stairs, find long sticks, sharpen them, and poke the zombies until they all die
>DM looks a bit sad and says 2 hours later you finish up the task
>>
>>43715771
That sounds like a pretty lame challenge to be fair.
Anyone with plenty of ammo or a regular long hafted weapon could do exactly the same thing.
>>
>>43715828
That's why i did it, i was going to go buy a glaive, but at level 2 i have ~50 gold, and that would have been half of it, so i asked if i could use an improvised reach weapon, and used a sharpened wooden curtain rod, but after the DM looked a bit down because he wanted us to figure out how to only clear out half or so at a time.
>3 player party, me war cleric, monk, fighter, all created independently
>~15-20 zombies
>>
>>43715771
It depends. Sometimes it's better to just roll with it--it's more fun for everyone that way. Other times when the challenges are bad in a way that you can't enjoy or if you can trivialize it in a fun and interesting way it's better to do that instead of going through the motions.

Just remember that you're there for everyone to have fun, including the DM.

Plus if it made him that sad I'm surprised he didn't make a few of the cells have really rusted hinges or locks and have the zombies bust out.
>>
>>43714131
No
>>
>>43711234
That's why you have all your players roll for stats when you are around. Nobody's going to believe they got that many 18s unless they were there to witness it.
>>
File: Hakaak.jpg (944 KB, 1085x1500) Image search: [Google]
Hakaak.jpg
944 KB, 1085x1500
>>43709888
>>43710185
>>43710769
http://www.lastgaspgrimoire.com/arts-crafts-morbidly-encumbered-edition/

Anon posted this image and I followed the watermark. Found this excellent idea to make encumbrance and supplies enjoyable and tangible.

I am absolutely going to make my PC's backpacks and have them track their inventory that way.
>>
File: ItemSheet-04.jpg (758 KB, 802x1000) Image search: [Google]
ItemSheet-04.jpg
758 KB, 802x1000
>>43716266
>>
File: ItemSheet-05.jpg (683 KB, 1000x697) Image search: [Google]
ItemSheet-05.jpg
683 KB, 1000x697
>>43716422
>>
>>43716266
>>43716422
>>43716441
>All those weird smut creatures
what the fuck?
>>
>>43709677
The Little Man, the Parents, and the Hairy Beast.

The parents as individual characters? The Genius and the Knight.
>>
Could I get some judgement on whether or not this is anything resembling balanced?

giantitp com/forums/showthread.php?436778-Michael-s-Specific-Warlock-Patron-16-Yeenoghu-Demon-Lord-of-Gnolls
>>
>>43715099
My players use the buy your own equipment rule usually. It's a causual homegame. The Cleric is a pixie. Makes things very interesting.
>>
>>43716518

From what I gather it's like a 70's Heavy Metal magazine kind of campaign the guy runs.
>>
>>43716855
Seems pretty overloaded to me, especially if they get the rage damage bonus. It's better than paladin2/warlock multiclass with all those smite spells they get too.

Being able to smite 4 times in one turn while also getting to add your charisma modifier to each hit (lifedrinker invocation) while also potentially getting that extra barb damage while also having resistance to non-magic weapon damage while also being a full-ish caster is pretty crazy.
>>
>>43709677
The Dancing Bear, the Urchin, the Magic Cow, the Birdman
>>
I'm trying to graft cybernetics onto 5e. So far I've got turning caster dcs from 8+Prof+Casting to Essence+Prof+Casting, with essence working similar to shadowrun. I'm looking for some way to manage this without all my martial characters just chopping off arms and replacing them. There's gold as a gateway, or potentially having to find the cybernetics.

I've thought about just giving everyone full "cybernetics" spell levels that they can spend on cybernetic stuff, but I just keep ending up with wizards being better martials than most martials.

The reasons for implementation are a) When pcs lose hands and limbs I want there to be a way to replace it, and b) I love science fantasy and like the idea of a wizard who's lost his ability to cast actual spells and just powers robot arm punches via magic.
>>
>>43711183
All Fighter archetyes just use the Attack Action (with minor variations). EK is no different.
That being said, EK is the best defensive archetype for the Fighter because of Protection from Evil/Blur and Shield.

Offensive magic with the EK is useless.
If you get the Magic Initiate feat, you could turn those unspent Spell Points/Slots into Goodberry, Healing Word or Shield of Faith.

I still believe Multiclass Fighter 1/Wizard 19 is better.
>>
>>43718731
Dont forget absorb elements for that sweet resistance.
>>
At higher levels, how much money worth of ruby dust and ivory statuettes and pearls and junk is a Wizard carrying?
>>
>>43718896
Very few if they have a Spellcasting Focus (and they do) so they don't need material components for their spells.

Only a few spells require consumable items. They usually have long Durations and don't require constant castings in a single day. So, I'd say they dont carry too much junk.
>>
Is there a reason that 5e's pointbuy only lets you buy up to max 15 while still allowing you to potentially roll 16-18?

Is that a system I should actually use?
>>
>>43719074
Point buy is the most fair system. It ensures no one is extremely underpowerd or overpowered. Tbh rolling 16 -18 is extremely rare. If you don't like point buy, try something other than random rolling if you wanna keep it balanced, but rolling can work if you really wanna do it. Personally, I use either point buy or I personally decide stats after talking to players about their character and what they wanna do with said character. I try to go for modifier total 10 if I use that system.
>>
>>43719049
>But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.

You need to have the component if it has a cost, even if it isn't consumed.

Oddly enough you can cast Protection from Evil and Good if you have a spellcasting focus, even if you don't have the consumed component, because it doesn't have a cost.
>>
>>43719191
Disregard the last line, I can't read.
>>
>>43719157
>Tbh rolling 16 -18 is extremely rare

It really isn't rare to get at least 16 in a stat.
If you're rolling 6 stats, then the chance of getting at least 18 in one of them is ( ((5/6) * (1/6)^3)*4 + (1/6)^4 )*6 which is just a bit under 10%.

In a 4 person party all rolling 4d6 drop lowest, there's a 1 in 3 chance that there will be an 18 at least somewhere.
17s and 16s are even more common but I don't want to do the math for them because then it gets messier.
>>
>>43719074
Pointbuy is for suckers. Roll dice, all day, every day. Why would anyone not roll? What are they playing this game for if they're gonna willingly forego chances to roll dice?
>>
>>43719272
http://anydice.com/articles/4d6-drop-lowest/

>mfw stat array is more or less the right probabilities for 4d6 drop lowest, save for the bottom and top rounding differently

>>43719074
Rolling for stats is a gamble for more variation, but with a chance of fucking you over or making you relatively powerful. Point buy has hard-locked ranges to prevent petty minmaxing. If you want to get past that, you houserule it by increasing the ceiling and/or adding more points.

Though honestly, considering the actual power difference is 5% to 10% between a standard, +3-in-main-stat vs. the +4 or +5 a lucky roller gets, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The power difference in 5e is generally too minimal for it to matter that much in play, unless someone knows everyone's stats, focuses on that, and is a salty bitch. Even someone with 20 dex from rolling is starting out with the same AC as any dex-dumping Strength martial.

That said, I always let people who get unlucky rolls (no rerolls) opt out for point buy or stat array.
>>
>>43709888
Dm has my party in the middle of buttfuck nowhere. My spells can sustain the whole party -1. So far we've all rolled well on survival, but its pretty cleat we're one bad role away from 1 level of exhaustions and 2 away from starvation. Its tense and amazing. We met two nomads and killed two of them for supplies. Paladin is freaking out.

Tl;dr. keeping track of rations and water is awesome, just do it as a party
>>
>>43719074
>Is that a system I should actually use?
Yes, it allows for a smoother, more pleasant chargen. The only downside is classes such as the Paladin who can come across as devalued from a fluff perspective this way.

In general you'll most likely enjoy a small numbers point-buy far better.
>>
File: Remmy The Rat Urchin.jpg (22 KB, 300x500) Image search: [Google]
Remmy The Rat Urchin.jpg
22 KB, 300x500
I would like a second opinion on this before I talk to my party about this, but first a little backstory. My party had 4 people when we began our 5e campaign. Not amazing but its doable. I recently killed off someone because 1) my friends will be living in one area and he will be moving to another area. Not too far away but 2) he has caused one session to be canceled and we had to move on without him in another, despite the fact that he was in the same apartment complex. I decided to kill his character behind his back (or at least as far as everyone else knows). Also 3) he owes me so much money that I would rather cut him out of my life permanently and 4) our group has never had a campaign last more than a month after he became involved in said campaign.

With that all said, the group is at 3 people atm and I want to introduce a DMPC that would help round out the party. He would be a level lower and is an urchin so his cut of the gold won't be anything worth noting, since he only wants enough gold to eat and sleep indoors without having to steal from others or beg for money. Would introducing such a DMPC be wise or would it do more harm than good?
>>
>>43719531
why even introduce a dmpc, just carry on with three people

plus if your experience is at all like mine you have people crawling out of the woodwork trying to get into a dnd group, so its not like it would be hard to find someone.

seriously i could have a 10 person party right now
>>
What kinds of broken shit can you do in 5e?
>>
>>43719531
5E is fine with three player characters
>>
>>43719577
Wish + Simulacrum = Infinite simulacrums.
>>
>>43719531
DMPCs are awful and are no fun for anyone involved. The only use for DMPCs is as plot points that influence the party and combat as little as possible (and instead act as something to be influenced by the party).

You won't be able to react to the plot as DMPC because you'll always know the "right" answer and the consequences. You won't have any fun in combat because it's just another person to keep track of alongside whatever monsters the party is facing. You won't have any fun interacting with other NPCs because you'll be having a conversation with yourself, and you'll know all of the "right" answers again.

Besides, 3-4 people is in my opinion the most fun and best party size.
>>
>>43719548
True, but its more of a "close group of friends with somewhat strange home-rules sorta deal". I feel it would be best to keep it to just those friends and maybe one other friend if they are free and are interested. Plus the group is extremely bad on picking one day to do the campaign.

Also the main reason for the dmpc is to help the party with some skills they lack in without resorting to hirelings every time or just making them not encounter those chalenges.The party is a barbarian, a (pixie) cleric, and a monk. The Cleric and monk are not very HP high and the barbarian always forgets to use his rage in battle. The dmpc is a slightly better HP wise rogue to help kill things quicker and help the party break into fortresses and such without having to break in the front door. The party will live (probably) either way but I'd hate to see them suffer because they only have 3 players.
>>
>>43719670
If they feel the need, allow them to seek out a helper. Maybe a fledgling member of a thief's guild, or an apprentice locksmith. Maybe the monk would be willing to take a dip in rogue as well, since it's basically the only class with any synergy. Don't use a DMPC though. Even if the companion is more than a hireling, make them an NPC foremost. Don't make them unusual by giving them a character sheet, just give them a statblock and a personality with a bit of depth.
>>
>>43718731
>If you get the Magic Initiate feat, you could turn those unspent Spell Points/Slots into Goodberry, Healing Word or Shield of Faith.
Unfortunately not, unless you also have enough Druid/Cleric/etc levels to cast it. You just get the 1st level spell once per day at level 1, unless you pick up a Magic Initiate (Wizard) spell because you can cast it with your EK slots as a wizard.
>>
>>43719600
Outside of combat yes, but I have played 2 AL games with 3 players in the past and it can get brutal if anything goes wrong.

>>43719624
Tbh this dmpc was designed to be very socially awkward (rat loving rogue urchin), I love game management and have very little problem keeping up with pretty much every aspect of any one session (both current and upcoming).

Overall though I sense that a dmpc is seen as a bad option in everyone's opinion so I may keep him around for a sort of recurring helpful npc but I won't make him a dmpc unless the next few sessions incur me to think otherwise.
>>
>>43719707
desu I use character sheets for almost all important NPC's because 1) i love making characters and 2) my party can sometimes go trigger happy and kill an important NPC that is meant to help them so I try to prevent this without making them too strong with said character sheets.

But yeah, I'll keep him as just a helpful npc and let them know hirelings exist.
>>
>>43719728
It seems like you're really set on a DMPC for some reason, even though experienced DMs are telling you it's no fun for anyone. In that case it's not like we can really stop you. I would advise something like what >>43719707 said about having them as an NPC foremost with no character sheet and more personality and depth, and maybe even have them avoid combat entirely.
>>
>>43719769
I liked the though of making a dmpc so I was sharing my thoughts on it but then I said:

>Overall though I sense that a dmpc is seen as a bad option in everyone's opinion so I may keep him around for a sort of recurring helpful npc but I won't make him a dmpc unless the next few sessions incur me to think otherwise.

So I agree, no dmpc, just a helpful npc for that area and some hirelings and such in other areas. unless the group gets their teeth kicked in.It shouldn't happen but if they continue to play as they are atm it might happen despite the fact that im toning the difficulty back.
>>
File: Srs games.png (887 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Srs games.png
887 KB, 1600x900
>>43709677
The Knight, The little man, The invalid

A Human bard with the knight background
A Dwarf fighter with the soldier background
A Elf monk with the scholar background

Monk has his powers locked away cause ow the edge background and so we've been basically babysitting a badly RP'd NPC

Dwarf has like 7con because the GM made us roll 3d6+2 in order and so he is small and relatively thin. He is a charismatic dwarf but the Player is afraid of RPing so he never really talks outside of grunting and insulting the elf.

And I'm not really much of a knight but I'm a member of a knight order that I support through economic ventures and abusing the supply and demand of wartime economy.
>>
>>43710912
What? Istishia's a god in 5E, not a Primordial. He's in the SCAG Giant List of Gods as "god of water", no less. There's no reason why you couldn't worship an elemental deity.

Also, there's Valkur, who is specifically a god of sailors (and as of 5E, thunder and lightning as well). He's mainly worshipped by the not-Vikings on the Sword Coast, though.
>>
File: Goliath Citizens.jpg (259 KB, 1047x990) Image search: [Google]
Goliath Citizens.jpg
259 KB, 1047x990
>>43719548
>>43719600
>>43719624
>>43719707
>>43719769
Anyways I thank you all for your responses to my question and I have taken it all in mind. I will not make a dmpc and I will try to make hirelings and skilled localized npc's to help them when needed.
>>
>>43719670
guy you quoted here;

i'm really against dmpcs, but idk if i can pin down exactly why.

i think because its like, hey, you guys are a party, i'll make something to cover the holes that you are missing in your composition, just so i can throw challenges at you which i then solve with my own character.

if the party needs to find a locksmith, let them find one. if they need to find someone in the thieves guild, let them find one. if they need to find someone who is stealthy, let them deal with that.

don't just throw something at them for them to use to then pass challenges that you throw at them because they have that capability. plus if they rely on the dmpc, and you roll a 1, then they suddenly fail a challenge which you expected them to pass, based on your dmpc, and then they can do nothing about it because they didnt come up with a plan that wasnt reliant on you.

dmpcs just dont work, they change the meta game too much, and dont forget as dm you yourself are a player as well.

the party will figure something out as needed. and you can scale down combat encounters as necessary.

just throw more interesting enemies at them, but not enemies that will make fights more swingy.

instead of 8 orcs, throw 2 orc dervishes that get two actions or something, but actions that necessitate movement and thus spreading their attacks. throw a huge skeleton who always cleaves at them instead of 6 skeletons. make your party work to figure out choke points when you do throw a whole gang of thieves at them. make them discover tactics they have on their own.

don't throw them in with someone who can solve specific challenges. then youre just taking agency away from them, and making them rely on you, and furthermore, you're taking agency away from yourself, because you're picking what their options are, so you aren't reacting to them.

thats my opinion on dmpcs.
>>
>>43719928
>>43719974
god post right before me after i make a long ass post

but good decision
>>
>>43719928
not sure how civilized your world is, but my players in shadowrun always love it when they call up on of their specialist buddies to help em on a run.
>>
>>43719974
>>43719984
You are quite true. I liked the thought but my interest in it blinded me to the flaws in it. Thanks.

Glad to have gotten all of these responses, and very glad they were all consistent :)
>>
File: World Map Cyrandel.jpg (959 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
World Map Cyrandel.jpg
959 KB, 1024x768
>>43720029
Depends on region and continent. Each continent is unique in terms of its climates, technological advances, and general civilization. The main continent is quite advanced with guns and bombs and warforged. They could find a specialist for just about anything they need right now. The other two lack in such things. One of the two other continents is full medieval with only smuggled in guns being used by the "secret police" and its a much colder climate but highly populated, and the final continent has warforged but instead of guns they have mechanically advanced land and air vehicles for getting across the vast desert without risking traversing the massive desert sea that is rumored to contain a mighty beast and is a hotter climate with a lower population.

Pic is the first continent.
>>
>>43716441
Damnit, now I want to do a magical advent calendar magic item that unlocks a new box every day, spitting out gold, sweets or a cute little magic trinket. It's nowhere close to christm- oh.
>>
>>43720113
Neat map, what did you make it with?
>>
>>43720142
inkarnate. Grand site.
>>
Forever DM here, going to be playing a monk in a oneshot my friend is running soon. Decided to roll Jackie Chan and have got permission to use improvised weapons as monk weapons. What kind of crazy shit should I use?
>>
>>43720859
ladders for reach, babies for +2 to AC, and a bucket with a rope for trip attacks.
>>
How much refluffing of spells is okay? In 4e, as long as damage type and amount, range etc were kept consistent a power could be whatever you liked. But in 5e it's harder to distinguish fluff from crunch. Could I say Burning Hands is a short range flurry of fiery fists? A breath of imitation of dragon fire? A blast of steam?
>>
>>43721026
I don't see why not, as long as you keep mechanically the same spell plus everybody who has that spell is going to recognize it nomatter the form.
>>
>>43721089
In that case, does anyone have any favourite refluffs?
>>
I'm making up a character sheet for a friend and he said he wanted to play a blind monk, (literally Lee Sin) DM says he's willing to give him 15 ft blindsight, are there better ways of doing this/ should he get more blindsight range with levels?
>>
>>43721305
Giving him blindsight 15ft is already a fucking powerful ability, he basically ignores dim light, darkness, invisibility and concealment at melee. If you want to get supergenerous increase it to 30ft at 11th level.
>>
>>43721026
Sounds perfectly fine to me. Any reason you want to do it?
>>43718194
>I'm looking for some way to manage this without all my martial characters just chopping off arms and replacing them. There's gold as a gateway, or potentially having to find the cybernetics.

Okay, you need to avoid martials just going full cyborg and wizards not just streamtrolling everything.

Suggestion: Hack in a new mechanic that combines the caster and half-caster progression philosophy with running off of a different core stat. Note, my maths for this is going to be shit.

>How to

Cybernetics come in levels from 1 to 5.

Characters gain {CON/2 Level 1} cybernetics slots.

An implant requires EITHER a slot corresponding to its level OR slots corresponding to its level added together. The latter causes an additional 1d4 Essence loss.

Level 2 gains 1 additional level 1 slot.

Level 3 gains 1 level 2 slot and 2 level 1 slots.

Level 4 gains 1 level 3 slot, 1 level 2 slot and 3 level 1 slots.

Level 5 gains 1 level 4 slot, 2 level 3 slots and 4 level 1 slots.

Level 6 gains 1 level 5 slot, 3 level 4 slots and 5 level 1 slots.

Upon installing, one rolls a CON save. Failed save rolls deduct a certain amount of CON in addition to Essence.

What do you think?
>>43711430
>I love you for that idea
Glad you like it, anon!
>>
>>43721338
>>43721305
That sounds more like Daredevil.
>>
>>43721164
My DM once let me fluff Earthbind as giant chains that were incorporeal to other creatures dragging them to the ground.
>>
File: CCS - Krognak preview.jpg (759 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
CCS - Krognak preview.jpg
759 KB, 2550x3300
>>43716266
Hey hey! I posted that. I'm the anon that's working on the 5th edition character sheet based on that.

Last time I had a fighter I had never played, but this time I used one of my players (I DM) characters.

Rate it again /5eg/?
>>
Is the mega link updated?
Are the Adventurer's League files complete? Or... how does it work?
>>
>>43721623
It's all there.

>>43721601
>Half-Orc Ranger

ewww
>>
>>43721537
Daredevil didn't invent the blind monk concept. Monks who are "blind" but in fact "see" better than anybody is a staple in wuxia.
>>
>>43721636
>Daredevil didn't invent the blind monk concept. Monks who are "blind" but in fact "see" better than anybody is a staple in wuxia.
I know, but in Wuxia it's usually not QUITE as OP or reliable, if only due to willful understatement on the Xia's part.
>>
>>43721305
Have him start blind and give him blindsight later, ideally after some learning about how to truly see. Suffering from his condition will make him appreciate getting that buff all the more.
>>
>>43721649
15ft-20ft of blindsight gives you advantage on melee in obscure situations (get it ;^)), but against ranged enemies you're fucked.
>>
>>43721652
>All attacks have advantage against him
>Hi has disadvantage on all attacks and perception checks based on sight
If he survives it would be a miracle
>>
>>43721649
You've never seen Master of the Flying Guillotine have you?

>>43721631
Not my character, not my problem. Also, his brother (another player) is a Half-Orc Barb if it makes you feel any better.
>>
Do you think "We have an upcoming story that does go back to a past adventure." and Perkins saying that the next adventure features giants and is based on Shakespeare basically confirm a 5e update of Giant-based King Lear?
>>
>>43721671
He'll need supportive team-mates and guidance from a wise master. Then he'll earn his blindsight and become more capable.
>>
>>43721305
Having a character be severely crippled can impact the rest of the party in a lot of ways, giving him blindsight at level one is going to make him hard to manage for the DM too. Maybe your friend should reconsider?
>>
>>43721631
I'm new, what about that is ewww?
>>
>>43721700
Its better to ignore him than spend actions to aid him, with the first you have only 1 useless party member, with the second you have 2.
>>
>>43721305
I would recommend having the character BECOME blind, and be granted blind sight in lieu of of his level 4 ASI/feat
>>
>>43721727
>>43721700
Wise-master could be a DMPC if DM was up for it?
>>
>>43721718
Nothing, just that half-orcs are not the number one most optimal race for rangers and therefore some silly people think no half-orc should ever be a ranger.
>>
>>43721718
Rangers are meh to begin with, Half-Orcs have a bad stat adjustment for them.
>>
why do people hate moon druid?
>>
>>43716518
Header of site literally says "Art, Smut, and Role-playing"
>what the fuck?

Never change.
>>
>>43721747
It's the closest thing core 5e has to being able to overshadow a dedicated class via caster shenanigans.
>>
>>43721747
Because people only play low as fuck levels, and at 2nd level moon druid is a brown bear.

From 5th and beyond moon druid is only good for tanking, he can't outdamage martials anymore.
>>
>>43721747
Do they? I like Moon Druid, Moon Druid rocks.

It's Land Druid that needs a revamp, so it stops being hot fresh garbage by comparison.
>>
>>43721760
>>43721779
>>43721785
and here I thought it was broken or sth
>>
>>43721808
Nah, that's just shitters on Reddit and Giantitp who've never played a game past level 3.
>>
>>43721808
They're strong as fuck from 2nd to 4th level, like I said, fucking Brown Bear with 2 attacks that deal 2d6+4+1d8+4 and effectively 68 HPs + Druid's HPs.

But when every other martial gets his extra attack feature moon druids start falling behind as damage martials and only the tankiness remains.
>>
>>43721164
>>43721528
I liked the idea of Spirit Guardians as a more powerful Mirror Image, projecting a bunch of copies of the caster that could do a little damage.
>>
so on martial classes that also have spell casting, can they only cast one spell if the class has two attacks?
>>
>tfw you started at rpgs you wanted to be in the spotlight but never accomplished it because you were new and inexpert
>tfw now you don't want to be in the postlight but because how experienced you're in rp is hard as fuck not to be
Fuck
>>
>>43721867
You can use an action, a bonus action if available, and movement.
Attack is an action, extra attack adds more rolls to the Attack action, but its still the same action. Bonus actions can include spells that specifically say that they are a bonus action, but no matter what you do you can only ever cast 1 non-cantrip+1 cantrip per turn.
Unless i'm entirely wrong, i've only had 2 sessions so far
>>
>>43721867
Casting a spell has nothing to do with the attack action, so no, you can't cast and attack if you have extra attack feature, only warmagic or similar features allow you to do that.

Or quickened spell from sorcerer.
>>
>>43721834
Dire Wolf is better than Brown Bear.

>>43721867
No, casting a spell uses the Cast a Spell action not the Attack action.
>>
>>43721881
>>43721886
Thanks guys my game was about to get broken as fuck
>>
>>43721960
It's in the book, under actions in combat. Casting a spell is not an Attack action and therefore doesn't get the benefits from Extra attack (which you can only use when you perform an Attack action).

Reading is pretty powerful in any system.
>>
>Next book is once agian FR
>Eberron and Darksun never
Fuck this gay Earth
>>
>>43721975
Thanks dickhead
>>
>>43722005
You welcome, dumbo.
>>
We have an assassin in our party who is a rough and tough rogue but he has an identity that he portrays everytime we are in town as a proper noble lady. We want to complain magical realm on his character but it's gotten us out of some hairy situations.
>>
>>43722001
Where was that announced?
>>
>>43722029
Disguise doesn't allow you to change height or weight, so unless this "noble lady" is manly as fuck he's doing it wrong.
>>
Remember kids, the solution to all your 5e woes:

R E A D T H E P H B
E A D T H R P H B R
A D T H E P H B R E
D T H E P H B R E A
T H E P H B R E A D
H E P H B R E A D T
E P H B R E A D T H
P H B R E A D T H E
H B R E A D T H E P
B R E A D T H E P H
>>
>>43722076
Or the Rogue is svelte and girlish.
>>
>>43722095
How can you be rough and tough and svelte and girlish at the same time?

>>43722080
>bread the ph
What?
>>
File: 1445096882846.jpg (42 KB, 600x616) Image search: [Google]
1445096882846.jpg
42 KB, 600x616
>>43722110
>How can you be rough and tough and svelte and girlish at the same time?

When you become the anime.
>>
>>43722110
READ THE PLAYER'S HANDBOOK.
>>
Am I possibly shooting myself in the foot allowing Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights the ability to pick the two schools of magic they're able to draw spells from?

Or maybe have them pick one of the two offered by the archetype and then the second one is completely their choice.

Evocation on an EK is dumb.
>>
>>43722029
>hairy situations.
Hehe.
Also, don't be a twat and get over it, non-sexualized crossdressig is tame enough it's been in fucking Ducktales. What's good enough for Disney is good enough for a party of - theoretically - adults.
>>
>>43722199

Abjuration is their bread and butter in terms of spell prep. Evocation spells are for AoE which few fighters have access to.

I think you should probably make Abjuration a mandatory school and then make various schools of Eldritch Knights that focus on various secondary schools of wizardry. That way you would have the traditional EK school and then maybe a temple of the body school with abjuration and transmutation or a undead one with necromancy and abjuration.
>>
>>43721834
>>43721779
Even when only the tankiness remains, that's huge. Onion druids get buckets and buckets of free temporary hit points. They can't outfight the fighter, but they can out-tank any tank.
>>
>>43722419
Less than half the games reach 12th, less than 1% of the games reach 20th level, so it doesn't really matter.

>They can't outfight the fighter, but they can out-tank any tank.
Not bearbarians, no.

If the enemies are weak as fuck, sure, they aren't able to kill your wild forms in one turn, but that doesn't happen at 20th level. Barb with 1/2 damage from any source (but psychic) and 285 HPs is probably the best tank around.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/november-2015-survey

New survey is about Sword Coast Legends. So, nothing more to say that "it's shit."

Also the results for the ranger survey looks like they're going back to a more "class" 3e-style ranger again. More emphasis on the animal companion in the main class so that it's more powerful.

Prepare for the next ranger to break the action economy harder than Ambuscade.
>>
>>43722489
>Sword Coast Legends has been out for a month

Wow, I forgot this thing existed.
I remembered seeing gameplay and thinking that has to still be in beta, kind of sad to hear that that was actually the finished product.
>>
I'm trying to make a more Shamanic Primal Path for Barbarian, similar to the Eldritch Knight for fighter. Am I barking up the wrong tree (IE that's just dumb), or would I be better suited modifying Druid or something.

It has a feature called "Trance" that can be used in lieu of Rage, and affects spellcasting.
>>
>>43722582
You can't cast spells or keep concentration ones while in Rage.
>>
>>43722601
Trance would essentially take the place of Rage, which allows for spellcasting and some new abilities.
>>
File: Path of the Primalist.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Path of the Primalist.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43722582
There's this homebrew already, if you're looking for ideas.
>>
>>43722612
If I'm not mistaken subclasses don't change main class features, at best only add stuff, never remove it.
>>
>>43722582

Sounds like it would be better suited for a new druid circle, to be honest, unless you're just looking to create a barbarian/druid equivalent of Eldritch Knight.
>>
>>43722448
But a 20th level moon druid has infinite HP. All the damage taken in wild shape just doesn't count, at at that level they can wild shape at will.
>>
>>43722696
Doesn't overflow go over to the Druid himself? Perhaps overtime it'll tick away at him. He may not endure all that overflow overtime
>>
In a metropolis of 52,000 what's a good number for the city's militia?
>>
>>43722714
When he's low he can dismiss the wild shape and re-activate it again. He doesn't have to wait for the wild shape to run out completely.
>>
>>43722754
If you mean people who aren't full-time soldiers but whom they could arm and raise in a hurry if shit went down, it could be as many as 5,000. Dedicated soldiers would be much fewer.
>>
Find Familiar for Arcane Rogue Y/N?
>>
>>43722790
>an owl bro who can be used for animal scouting and flying around using the help action to give you advantage against enemies
Yes.
>>
I want to replace the crap monk capstone and was wondering what you thought of this

>Starting at level 20 you may take an additional bonus action on each of your turns. This bonus action can be used for anything except flurry of blows.
>>
>>43722696
Your highest HP wild shape has 126 HPs, at 20th and higher level monsters can deal more than that per turn, any damage beyond 126 goes into your Druid HPs, a couple of turns like that and you're dead if nobody heals you.

You have, technically, infinite layers and infinite HPs, but to go from one layers to another takes one bonus action and each layer doesn't have infinite HPs.
>>
>>43722790
It takes over the thing that always gets the rogue killed - going out alone. Everyone knows to never split the party, but every rogue thinks he knows better. The rogue thinks that if he's not sneaking around alone, his Stealth skill is going to waste. So he goes out alone, finds more enemies than he can kill in a single surprise round, and they likely notice him and crush him into paste. A familiar encourages the rogue to do what all rogues should be doing anyway and staying with the party.
>>
>>43722790
The Arcane Trickster Rogue can only pick your 1st-level and higher spells from the illusion and enchantment schools. Find Familiar is a conjuration spell.

So no.
>>
>>43722696
>All the damage taken in wild shape just doesn't count
Hey, pham, fucking learn to read before posting, wildshape doesn't work like that.
>>
>>43722790
>Have automatic Aid (advantage) and a near ally for Rogue?
No, it's useless, why do you want advantage or an ally near as a rogue? is not like you have sneak attack or something.

Pick snake as familiar, they're the best for snake attacks.
>>
>>43722905
Even if something can consistently deal more than 126 damage each turn, the druid is still better off than the barbarian in terms of purely soaking up damage. The barbarian is taking half of it and the druid is taking much less than that.
>>
>>43722754
Well, you could say "every man, woman and child" in case of a siege, but some historical examples:

>Firenze, Italy (1250-1300) had about 20 companies of "popolo" militia, 100 men per company, who were the best-equipped elite. Population: 100,000 in 1300.
>Brugge, Belgium (1300-1350) had guild militias which kicked the arses of even knightly opponents. The city was divided into 12 militia sections, each with about 100 burgher cavalrymen and 500 guildsmen each. Population: 35,000 in 1340.

It's really variable, though. Most towns and cities had ordinances, either local or royal, on what arms and armour you had to own depending on your "monetary value", so to speak.

If you want a guess, I would say 2,000 militiamen for a city of 50,000 if it's not in a very threatened area, more if it is, with better kit if it's a wealthy town.
>>
>>43722920
It does. When you end a polymorph or wild shape, you go back to the full HP you had before changing shape. Damage dealt to a shapechanged target is so much piss in the wind.
>>
>>43722914
>You know three 1st-level wizard spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the enchantment and illusion spells on the wizard spell list.
Hey, pham, fucking learn to read before posting .
>>
>>43722960
RTFM, pham.
>>
>>43722967
>>43722974
Someone who makes up words shouldn't be accusing others of illiteracy.
>>
>>43722943
The barbarian has better armor, assuming 14 Dex, the barb, without magic items, has 19 AC, your wild shapes have way worse armor, so the barb is taking less than the half ;^).

The barb is also dealing enough damage to kill shit which means he gets hit less.
>>
>>43722985
But it's easy, pham, you go to the Classes part, go to druid and read the wildshape.
Then you go to the spells and read polymorph.
Then you'll realize how fucking retard and stupid you're for not reading and carry on.
>>
>>43722992
Yes, barbs can do more useful things thandruids in full onion mode. But they're probably getting hit about the same amount when facing big mean enemies that will hardly ever miss either. If the barb is using Reckless Attack (and he'd be a fool not to,) he may actually get hit more than the onion druid because the enemy will roll fewer natural 1s. And druids have a much greater variety of things to do when not in onion mode, while barbarians pretty much have one thing they can do.
>>
>>43722985
Any excess damage carries over to the druid/wizard/whatever real form, if by now you don't know this, you should commit songoku.
>>
>>43723024
Not only are you annoying and need to stop typing whatever stupid verbal tic that is; you're not even right. Spergs like you have to learn to at least be right about things because it's the only way people will tolerate being around you.
>>
>>43723062
1. Arcane trickstes, like Eldritch Knights, can learn a new spell from any fucking school at 3rd, 8th, 16th and 20th level
2. Excess damage carries over their natural form on polymorph/wildshape/etc

Stop being a retard.
>>
>>43723040
Excess damage, yes, but so what? The wild shape takes its full HP in damage, then all that damage goes away forever and you take whatever's left. The giant pile of free HP is the most useful feature of changing shape now, when you'd think the advantage would be gaining new abilities for a while or something like that.
>>
>>43709677
Anyone have good additions/homebrew rules for mounted combat? One of my players is being a bitch.
>>
>>43723102
Sorry, is 3rd, 8th, 14th and 20th level, but the point still stands.
>>
>>43723114
No, it doesn't. You can't get something wrong and then still claim to be an authority. Go outside.
>>
>>43723110
>but so what?
So that you were fucking wrong and calling other illiterate when you were the illiterate one, that's the "what".
>>
>>43723136
Read the famual, man.
>>
>>43723146
>>43723164
Don't reply to him, he's either a troll or a mentally handicapped person, either way we should ignore him.
>>
>>43723062

>Not only are you annoying and need to stop typing whatever stupid verbal tic that is;

That's pretty common slang, man. Go outside and talk to some people, get up on that new shit.
>>
>>43715771
You should always do what your character would do. Don't ignore the easy way out unless your character wouldn't think of it or something.
>>
>Guy doesn't read the manual
>Gets shit wrong
>Acts all smug
>People point he's wrong
>50 posts of him moving the goalpost, damage controlling or backpedaling
Every fucking 5e general ever
>>
>>43723314
At least is not Xbox xpurt and cart throwing goliaths.
>>
>>43723342
>Goliath throws a cart full of halfling barbarians at enemies
This sounds like a valid plan.
>>
>>43723367
As long as the goliath doesn't expect to deal more than 1d4+Str, sure.
>>
>>43709677
What happens if a pc goes crosses the line as it were and is too evil for a party
>>
File: Mutant_Midget_Psycho_2.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Mutant_Midget_Psycho_2.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>43723653
A bomb doesn't work because of impact damage. It's all about the payload.
And its a payload of like, 6 of these guys.
>>
>>43723789
They roll a new character, or they leave.

The DM in me has hardened his heart to this particular brand of bullshit. You wanna fuck with the group for giggles? You asshole NPC now.
>>
>>43723789
You can tell the player to knock it off, which is probably the best option, or you can follow the PC's actions through to their logical conclusion. Remind the other players that inter-party strife would be justified in this case. Ask if they're going to bring the evil PC in to answer for his crimes.
>>
>>43723789
any PC who's making the game worse because they're too good or too weird or too whatever needs to leave, generate a new character. make the old one an NPC, if it's easier to sell it that way.
>>
>>43723789
Any PC whose behavior becomes a problem for group cohesion needs to be sent to the farm very quickly.
>>
Can anyone give me advice on the viability of a strength monk? Too MAD? I love Way of the Open Palm but also love grappling. Should I just dip into Rogue for Expertise with Athletics and is that sufficient to reliably grapple someone?
>>
>>43724431
Too MAD.

>Should I just dip into Rogue for Expertise with Athletics and is that sufficient to reliably grapple someone?
Sure.

Or wait till a belt of Str appears in your campaign.
>>
What are your opinions on the various Gunslinger homebrews floating around 5eg?

Personally I'm really fucking confused by the purpose of their existence, if you're playing in a world where firearms are common then what's the point of having one single archetype that uses them? If you're playing in a world where firearms are rare as hell (for these are the only two distinctions any world ever makes) then why's there a dude who's dedicated his whole life to being good at using them?

Don't even get me started on the ones that let you make leg shots etc. at some cost or other, why can't my Champion who totes a pistol shoot a guy in the leg by aiming it? Does that require years of training now?
>>
>>43724557
Thanks anon.
>>
>>43724574
Why it has to be a new class? why not fighter?
>Inb4 "b-but le tricks?"
Battlemaster
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.