[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In the last game you played, how would you deal with an enemy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: The Thing poster.jpg (560 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
The Thing poster.jpg
560 KB, 1000x1500
In the last game you played, how would you deal with an enemy that is essentially like The Thing?

> Every cell of it is a being in its own right and have minds of their own.
> Can assimilate organisms via touch.
> Contact with its blood is more than enough to assimilate organisms.
> Can shapeshift into abominable monstrosities and can even detach parts and turn them into lesser monstrosities and vice-versa (aka: into titanic abominations).
> Can wait with exposing itself until the moment is perfect to act. In the meantime it's still in the form of the last being it assimilated.
> Not only does it assimilate and cause utter fear, it causes utter paranoia since nobody knows whose skin the monster is wearing.
>>
>>43705143
Same way with orks. Just fire bomb certain areas till solved.
>>
>>43705143
You mean pen-n-paper or on computer?

Because if the former, find someone with a flamer. (Dark Heresy) If the latter, "Stay calm! Use your flame guns!" (SMAX)
>>
>>43705158
And what if it somehow infiltrated your ranks before the bombing?
>>
>>43705179
The first in the case of this thread (sorry for not pointing this).
>>
Fire is always the answer isn't it?

>Hey there's this hou-

Set it on fire

>There's this monster tha-

Set it on fire

>There's this cave this cult us-

Set it on fire and blow up the supports

>Bu-

EVERYTHING. MUST. BURN.
>>
BACKSLASH!
>>
Well...we've got at least one PC that would make it out.

She's a Fire Mephit. She's A) Non-organic (She's made of fire given form) B) Made of Fire. C) A Desert Wind Monk. She spends most fights being a flamethrower.

The other PCs? Depends what Healing Magic can do to help. If it doesn't get the Druid first we've got a pretty good chance as she's sharp-eyed enough to notice invisible people and insightful enough to read basically anyone. She's got the best chance of figuring out who's been got.
>>
>>43705143

Realistically, I don't think my D&D party has the knowledge base necessary to deduce the thing's full powers. They would kill a few of its constructs, congratulate themselves on a job well done and leave without learning it's infected all nearby biomatter.
>>
My current Eclipse Phase party would probably deal with it the same way they deal with Exsurgent infections. Antimatter bomb it. No chances.
>>
Shadowrun already has canon rules for The Thing, so it would be easy.
>>
>>43705402
There is something like that?
>>
>>43705500
Yes, in one of the Paranormal Animals books. Forgot exactly what it's called, but it's basically a big, shape-shifting pile of bacteria, that likes to take the form of cows and other animals, and then eat anything that gets close.
>>
>>43705544
Wow. Need to look into this.
>>
>>43705601
Pretty sure it's Paranormal Animals of Europe. Something something plasm, I think.
>>
File: protean.png (755 KB, 740x1090) Image search: [Google]
protean.png
755 KB, 740x1090
>>43705645
Found it. Even the picture is an obvious The Thing homage/rip-off.
>>
File: protean2.png (619 KB, 770x1090) Image search: [Google]
protean2.png
619 KB, 770x1090
>>43706383
And the rules.
>>
>>43706383
But with added vagina.
>>
>>43705181
Maxim #20, "If you aren't willing to shell your own position, you aren't willing to win. "
>>
As with all other scenarios in the game, I'll fuck it, horrify those around me, and run out of town to continue the cycle with the next beasty I find.
>>
>>43705143
lots and lots of fire
>>
I'm pretty sure everyone would be fucked. Crashing in the Antarctic was probably the only saving grace for the movie not being over in 10 mins
>>
>>43705143
Depends on where it lands.
>Desert
>Arctic
Purge in holy flame.
>Literally anywhere else
It just assimilated half the Amazon in an hour, has begun converting the Atlantic into a protoplasmic goop, and has fashioned a biological catapult to fling bits of it into trans-continental ballistic trajectories; one just lander in Hong Kong.
>>
>>43705143
>Pour oil and gunpowder everywhere
>Buy shitloads of grenades and explosives
>chuck them all into the camp and have the wizards fireball the shit out of it
>explode.jpg
>>
>>43706383
>>43706407
Really darn scary.
>>
File: Thingstats.png (843 KB, 942x1400) Image search: [Google]
Thingstats.png
843 KB, 942x1400
>>43706383
>>43706407
Here's a Thing for Call of Cthulhu, from Malleus Monstrorum.
>>
File: Thingstatsd20.png (617 KB, 1388x696) Image search: [Google]
Thingstatsd20.png
617 KB, 1388x696
>>43711938
And here's one for/from d20 Modern, because if there's one system that comes to mind for "subtlety and horror," it's d20 Modern.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.