[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/HHG/ Horus Heresy General: Board Game and Game Board Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16
Horus Heresy/Great Crusade/30k General!

Rulebooks link:
https://mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ!EVh0GZZS
>>
So what does /tg think of the models coming on 32mm bases, never played 30k so I don't know if it was standard.

I personally like them, the 28 mm bases had the Marines feet sticking over the edge, and it kinda helps set them apart via size from say... a Guardsmen.
>>
>>43654013
I have terminator heavy armies so doesnt affect me

this is probably though just them trying to have a use for their AoS bases to save on costs
>>
Is this game any good or is it just a half assed attempt to find a reason to buy more marines
>>
Is Storm Eagle worth it?
>>
Help me chose a Legion /tg/

It's currently between Alpha Legion:
>like their rules / tactics the best
>mu tactical versatility
>stealing units sounds cool
>lots of room for fucking about with all the 30k goodies
but
>don't care much for their primarch(s)
>their theme is OK, not in love with it but I quite like plane-looking marines so not a big deal
>their unique units leave a bit to be desired

OR

Ultrasmurfs:
>like their theme more
>muh tactical versatility
>their special rules seem cool but are a bit plainer than Alpha Legion
>Their special units seem OK
but
>their primarch looks like a bit of a fag

I feel like maybe I should hold off until more legion rules are released as I like the idea of Blackshields, Magnus is my favourite Primarch and I'm quite fond of Dark angels, but will it be years until they see releases?
>>
>>43654054
Go for Night Lords.
>>
what's the best way to kit out the terminator squad in the box?
>>
>>43654054
Imperial Fists
>Fuck yellow
Salamanders
>Too slow
Iron Hands
>Bunch of fags
Raven Guard
>Muh concealed emotions
Night Lords
>Muh edgy batmen
I guess the only answer is Emperor's Children
>>
>>43654054
I would say do Ultramarines. People have been poopooing them for so long for being "mainstream" that they are now a hipster faction.
>>
>>43654013
>>43654022
Will the 32mm bases be tournament legal if i were to use them in a stranded 40k game?
>>
>>43654013
I prefer it, marines on tiny bases always looked kinda awkward to me.
>>
what the heck is the point cost for rogue psykers? I dont see a pt cost!

are they free?

>>43654092
well the age old rule is "use the bases they came in" which is why some people still have old termies on small bases
>>
>>43654092
Sure. They are larger than usual, so it's the strict opposite of 'modelling to advantage'.
>>
>>43654092
Stop caring so much
>>
>>43654062
>Go for Night Lords.
lol, why the fuck would I want to be play gay edgy batman vampire marines.

They are nearly as bad as fucking Space Yiffs.

>>43654088
maybe Anon, maybe. I'd quite like a Legion that makes Tac Squads more viable and Alpha Legion and Ultra's seem like they can.

Might just hold off until we have rules for Dark Angels and Thousand Sons though.
>>
>>43654303
>why the fuck would I want to be play gay edgy batman vampire marines.
>he didn't read the Omnibus
>>
Opinions on combi-plasma on legion terminators? I have 5 cataphracti and a selection of combi-weapons (plasma, melta, flamer) from BaC left over, with no idea what to do with them. Softening a high-value unit up with a plasma barrage between disembarking and charging in with powerfists seems pretty reasonable, but it's a huge investment, as with all termis.
I play a Word Bearers infantry/dreadnought army, if it helps any.
>>
Which Ultramarine Rite of War us beat Rite of War?
>>
>>43654092
Of course they fucking are. Regular space marines have been swapped to 32mm for ages.
>>
>>43654437
In English, if you wouldn't mind?
>>
>>43654469
Which, out of the 6 vanilla Rites of War, and the 1 specific Rite of War for the Ultras, tend to perform the best? I thought my question was self explanatory.
>>
>>43654492
I'm not sure how someone is supposed to arrive at that from "Which Ultramarine Rite of War us beat Rite of War?", but alright.
There are only 4 generic RoWs, 5 if you count the Delegatus one, and all of them radically change the way you build an army, while the Logos Lectora is just a general buff to your army.
Problem is that the LL is very limiting in terms of building your army while offering not *that* much in return. Ultras are generally better served with going without a RoW, honestly. Pride of the Legion is decent for them, if you must.
>>
>>43654327
>he didn't read the Omnibus
No I didn't, but they wear dead people on their armour and their Legion Icon is a skull with batwings so that's enough for me.

>>43654054
I'm trying to make an Alpha Legion list using their RoW and I'm wondering, is it worth giving all my unit's dedicated transports or should I just infiltrate them all?

Some of the units I'm planning on taking have infiltrate anyway so it seems like a bit of a waste, and it seems like a big waste of the versatility of Alpha Legion tactics if i'm only gonna pick 1 special rule the whole time.
>>
>>43654092
Yes. The general rule of thumb is to use the base given in the box.
>>
Think I'm going to paint my marines as EC. Going to use converted Stormcast eternals as veterans and use the script transfers to put 'poetry' on their armour. Any good EC conversions or armies out their I should look up for inspiration?
>>
>>43653941
How is everyone splitting the HH boxes with their friends?
I only want 10 mk4, 5 terminators and the Dread, but it seems like the terminators are the most wanted.

>>43654115
FW saiys via email they cost the same as in IA 13/vraks. that's 35ppm I recall.
>>
>>43654616
The big thing about Mutable Tactics is that you can respond to your opponent on a as-needed basis. If you use it to satisfy CotH requirements you just become a shittier version of RG with mediocre special units. (Not to mention that using Mutable Tactics in that manner is not legal by RAW; supposedly an email to FW allowed it, though I've nver seen said email.)
Really, CotH is not *that* great. People see that unit-stealing shenanigans and go bonkers, but in reality it will never work out as great as they imagine it to be.
>>
>>43654303
DA pretty much say out the Heresy though.
>>
>>43654697
The thing is, because CotH needs an extra troop slot, it feels like putting 3 vanilla squads in rhino's is a bit of a waste, whereas 3 Vanilla squads of 20 with Apothecaries infiltrating into cover seems like a far better idea.

I think I'll just take the transports though, as infiltrating rhino's aren't too bad anyway ifthat's what I want to do.

>People see that unit-stealing shenanigans and go bonkers, but in reality it will never work out as great as they imagine it to be.
That is currently what I'm doing.

Planning on running Armillus and deepstriking 10 Tyrant Siege termies into enemy deployment zone along with (possible) Tankhunters.

Though I do really like the idea of just switching out a unit for a legion specific unit if I start to get bored with my current list.Will probably get really interesting when Thousand Sons and maybe space wolves get added.
>>
>>43654054
As far as I know all Alpha Legion troops require a dedicated transport which will really limit some of the stuff you can do. At my FLGS Alpharius is always complaining about not being able to take 20 man strong tac squads.
>>
>>43654303
>lol, why the fuck would I want to be play gay edgy batman vampire marines.

Uh because Batman is awesome and the entire setting is gay and edgy.

Have fun with your faggy army of anonymouses. I'll see you in a week posting your list asking how to make Coils of the Hydra work as a list.
>>
>>43654054
>>43654616
>>43654697

Made a list. It's lacking a fair bit in anti-tank but I'm hoping I'll make up for this with bodies on the field & marine shredding capabilities.

Row: Coils of the Hydra 2000 point list

/HQ:

Armillus Dynat - 200 points (warlord)

Exodus - 115 points

/Elites:

5 Tyrant Siege Terminators - 295 points (deepstrike via Warlord Trait to qualify for the RoW)

10 Terminators, Power Swords, Banestrike Bolter Rounds - 345 points
Transport: Spartan assault tank, Auxiliary drive - 305 points

/Troops:

10 Legion Tacticals, Rhino transport - 185 points

/Fast attack:

5-man Headhunter kill team, Heavy Bolter w/ suspensor webs - 185 points

What do you guys think?

Considering dropping Exodus & the headhunters for some more anti-tank as the termies will already be good enough for anti-MEQ but they're the most fluffy part of my list so I'm hesitant.
>>
>>43655063
Waaaay ahead of you brah! >>43655067

#cut4curze
>>
>>43654714
Astelan, pls go and stay go.

The Dark Angels were engaged in constant and bitter campaigns against foes sent by the Arch-traitor to block their progress from the fringe to Terra.

And something about an empire on Macragge with Sanguinius and Guilliman that is silly and should never have made it to the planning board.
>>
I'm thinking of adding some Space Wolves to go with my Militia, using the box. Is this list any good?

Praetor:
-Cataphractii
-Paragon Blade, Combi-Melta
= 162pts.

Terminator Squad (5x):
-Cataprachtii
-1x Chainfist, 3x Lighting Claw, 3x Combi-Melta, Reaper Autocannon
-Sergeant, Combi-Melta, Lighting Claw
= 248pts.

TROOPS:
Tactical Squad (20x):
-Vexilla
= 260pts.

Support Squad (5x):
-Plasma Guns
= 160pts.

Heavy Support Squad (5x):
-5x Missile Launcher
= 160pts.

Comes to 990pts. Don't know what to give sergeants. Probably combi-plasma for the support squad sergeant.
>>
>>43655121
That was faster than expected. Its a tough list to make work. I'd definitely take some more AV. It's hard to drop fluffy stuff in exchange for a solid list though. How bad do you want the Tyrant Siege Termies?

I don't even really like NL. I just really like Batman
>>
>>43654083
Good choice.
>>
File: 1436732064985.jpg (245 KB, 976x600) Image search: [Google]
1436732064985.jpg
245 KB, 976x600
>>43654303
>>
>>43655198
>That was faster than expected. Its a tough list to make work.
Yeah it feels like it. It seems like a good starting place though as you're kind of forced to take quite a variety of units.

>I'd definitely take some more AV
Was trying to fit some contemptors in there, but they didn't really fit. My hope atm is that the enemy will focus the single spartan thinking it's a bigger threat that is actually is when really, the unit it's carrying is barely worth more than the vehicle itself.

>It's hard to drop fluffy stuff in exchange for a solid list though
true-say. Currently,the Headhunter & Exodus don't do anything that the termies won't do better. When building this list I though Exodus would be cool to snipe special weapons out of squads and then I realised that most squads don't actually have special weapons in them.

I'm considering keeping him to get rid of squad seargents but that doesn't feel particularly useful.

Headhunter's are really shit but I love the idea of modelling them haha.

> How bad do you want the Tyrant Siege Termies?
I just figured they'd synergies really well with the list. If I take Tank hunters as my special rule they can deepstrike in the enemy deployment zone and will have Tank Hunters, Wrecker and +1 to the Vehicle Damage table.

But it's more getting the rest of the army right so I can swap out that unit for something else from game to game
>>
Random question: Based off Legion bonuses and unique RoW, which Legion is presently the most "resilient"? Anything dices if you throw enough dice at it, but this is more out of interest than anything like a "help me pick a tanky legion".
>>
>>43655192
Support squad can't be mandatory troops. Tact, assault or breacher only.
Unless you use Pride of the Legion RoW, but then you need one more veteran or termi squad...
>>
>>43655514
>Support squad can't be mandatory troops.

Allied FOC only has 1 mandatory Troop slot.
>>
>>43655198
Play batman minature game
>>
>>43655067
Actually, I've had a change of heart.

Armillus Dynat seem's pretty pointless unless you're building a list around his buff, in which case you'll probably always take the infiltrate rule which kind of sucks.

If I take Autilon Skorr instead then I save a lot of points and gain way more tactical flexibility from choosing my warlord trait.
>>
>>43655564

You seem to have hit the same issue I have. The Alpha legion rules seem cool on paper, but building a satisfying list is terribly difficult.
>>
>>43655507
Iron hands, if you're going by special rules alone
Probably the Salamanders or Impy Fists with wargear
>>
>>43655564
>>43655583
Well here's the alternative one I've come up with.

I've tried to include units that will benefit from whatever special rules I choose.

Row: Coils of the Hydra 2000 point list

/HQ:

Autilon Skorr - 125 points (warlord)

Exodus - 115 points

/Elites:

Mhara Gal Tained Dreadnought (lol) - 305 points

10 Terminators, Power Swords, Banestrike Bolter Rounds - 345 points
Transport: Spartan assault tank, Auxiliary drive - 305 points

/Troops:

/Heavy Support:

Legion Vindicator Laser Destroyer - 130 points

Legion Vindicator Laser Destroyer - 130 points

More anti-tank & Armour and nearly all the units should benefit in some way from the special rules.

Against deepstrike lists I can fuck with their reserves a lot.

Against Armour heavy lists I can take Tank Hunters and use night-fighting to help me out.

The transport thing makes the list feel a bit contradictory though, as a lot of my stuff could be use to get good benifits out of cover, which is way harder if it's a vehicle.
>>
>>43655564
Welcome to Alpha Legion, where "...but, wait!" is the baseline for all list building.
>>
Going to build a death guard army what are some mandatory things to have?
>>
>>43655875
And now you might consider dropping the Mhara Gal for a Deredeo or a Contemptor-Mortis, which would provide fire support and anti-air.
>>
>>43655951
terminators, terminators everywhere
>>
>>43653941

Does anyone have the two newest HH Novellas that came with Betrayal at Calth? The usual source hasn't put them up yet.
>>
>>43655542

I brought best Bane from that game to be my Warp Cult Leader, so he can crash their starships with no survivors.
>>
>>43655992
Well fuck. Then there's no point in the RoW.

desu if they have flyers I'll just take the Warlord trait that gives -1 to reserves so they only come in on a 6+.

Though lists aside, what do you guys think the best unit to steal from the other legions is for Alpha Legion?
>>
File: Shoulder pads.jpg (24 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
Shoulder pads.jpg
24 KB, 600x620
So, I asked this question earlier, and just want to confirm before I build today.

I bought the following items

- 40 mk6 marines
- 6 mk3 marines
- 10 mk4 marines
- 60 mk3 Raven Guard Shoulders (as mk3 is the most ornate)

Which shoulder should be swapped to the RG pad on each?

On the mk6 (tacticals) is it going to go on the Left or Right? (other shoulder is mark 6 studded)

On the mark 4 (Seekers) is it going on the left or right? (other one is going to be plain mk4)

On the mark 3, is it going to be left or right?

I'm thinking

MK6-Right
MK4-Left
MK3-Left

Is that fluff-accurate?
>>
>>43656140
Literally everone insantly seems to go for Tyrants, for whatever reason, but in terms of actually useful shit, consider Gal Vorbak (tough, punchy and with built-in DS) and Mor Daythan (Rending combo-flamers and access to another legion-specific unit by dint of having the Darkwing Duckship as a dedicated transport).
>>
File: darkwing_duck_thunderquack.jpg (137 KB, 1001x965) Image search: [Google]
darkwing_duck_thunderquack.jpg
137 KB, 1001x965
>>43656377
>>
wall of flesh!

75-Force Commander: 2 Needle Pistols, Carapace Armor, Melta Bombs
35-Cyber Augmetics
35-Tainted Flesh
60-Rogue Psyker: Rogue Alpha
x6 115-Inducted Levy Squad: 30 additional Levy Auxiliaries, Blast Pistol, Auxilia Pistols, Frag Grenades
x2 285-Auxilia Ogryn Brute Squad: 3 additional Ogryn Brutes, 2 Power Weapons, 4 Combat Shields
x2 120-Imperialis Auxilia Sentinel Scout Squadron: Lascannons
x3 261-Auxilia Heavy Ordnance Battery: 3 Artillery Carriages, 12 additional Militia Auxilia Crew

>>
How many point is a typical HH game? Does it still do the 1850 and 2000 point games, or are they larger point games due to the whole thing being about insanely large armies going at it?
>>
>>43656873
2.5-3k is the norm, or at least around here
>>
What's the easiest way to give a unit rerolls to hit in 30k?

Do all Librarians have access to divination?
>>
for the terminators, would 2 with claws, 2 with chainfist/bolter and one with chainfist/heavy flamer be good enough?
>>
>>43656873
Common sizes I see are

- 1000 (Zone Mortalis)

- 1500 (skirmish)

-1850 (forced into 40k)

- 2k (mimimum allowing LoW)

- 2500 (allows most LoW)

- 3000 (big game)

So a 2000 would probably be the standard, or 2500. 3000 i'd guess I'd see less of, as you can take a warhound at that level.

>>43657170
Chaplain.
>>
It's all Ogre now 2000 point Imperial militia list

_HQ_

Force Commander, Gene Crafted & Abhuman Helots - 185 points

2 Discipline Masters - 40 points

_Troops_

20 Inducted Levy - 40 points

20 Inducted Levy - 40 points

_Elites_

10 Ogryn Brutes, Power Axes - 565 points

30 T6 Ogryn, each putting out 4 S7 AP2 attacks.

Fite me!
>>
were servo skulls a thing during the great crusade/HH?
>>
>>43657928
Take Survivors instead of Gene Crafted.

Take that sweet sweet t6 w3 3+ ogryn.
>>
>>43658009
They were.

That's what Cyber-occulari are
>>
Why are SW distrusted allies with Army? I thought they were cool with human fighters.
>>
>>43655122
>>43654714

Vulkan Lives, Unremembered Empire and the several DA books actually do a pretty good job of explaining stuff.

>DA made a move to block Horus from getting siege engines to break the walls of Terra, but perturabo ran off with those while pretending to be a loyalist.
>Curze raids the imperium through fear tactics, trying to destabilize supply lines and turning surrounding planets to Horus
>Lion fights him at every turn, thus keeping him engaged and away from returning to Terra at this point in time
>in between fights Curze is torturing Vulkan into insanity after dragging him out of the Istvaan V slaughter as a toy
>Vulkan escapes and ends up on Macragge completely insane by pretty much stepping into the warp to escape from Curze
>eventually Lion captures the NL first captain. Curze sneaks onto the ship to cause havoc
>Calth happens, the ruinstorm intensifies drastically, crippling any hope of making it to Terra
>Guilliman uses alien tech from before the Eldar and possibly the Necrons (old ones? nobody knows) to set up a new beacon
>Lion sees it, Sanguinius too but is still far away
>Lion and Curze make it to Macragge, shenanigans ensue
>Lion is stuck on Macragge with no way to navigate towards Terra
>Sanguinius arrives, is made the emperor of Imperium Secundus against his wishes, because there is no one else
>these three keep looking for ways to get back to Terra

This is the gist of it, I glossed over a lot of stuff
>>
>>43654083

Yellow is easy if you don't prime black
>>
>>43656873
>>
>>43658147
too brutal
>>
>>43656377
Or you can be awesome and run Kakophoni. You know you want to.
>>
File: Oh, you!.jpg (7 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Oh, you!.jpg
7 KB, 300x300
>>43658794
>>
>>43658147
>I thought they were cool with human fighters.

They have never been cool with human fighters, they arent actively hostile to them like other chapterse (Minotaurs or Marines Malevolent) but theyere not bros like Salamanders either. Just because they defended the Armageddon survivors from the inquisition doesnt mean they love all humans.

Besides 30k wolves are just as bloody savages as the WE or even some Blood Angels.
>>
>>43656890
>>43657650
>>43658483
Okay, for a a 2500 point Word Bearer army then, I got this. I am using the Onslaught FOC so I'll be allowed 2 Lords of War at the cost of requiring 1 Heavy Support and only having 2 Fast Attacks at most.

---HQ---

High Chaplain Erebus - 195 points

Legion Centurion - 95 points
-Moritat
-Volkite Serpenta
-Plasma Pistol

---Troops---

Legion Assault Squad - 470 points
-4 Power Weapons
-Sargent has Lightning Claw Pair
-Sargent has Artificer Armor

---Fast Attack---

The Ashen Circle (4 Incendiaries with 1 Iconoclast) - 215 points
-Power Axes for everyone
-Iconoclast has Artificer Armor
-Iconoclast has Melta Bombs

---Elites---

9 Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren with 1 Dark Martyr - 390 points
-2 Power Weapons
-Tainted Weapon for Dark Martyr
-Artificier Armor for Dark Martyr

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought - 250 points
-Heavy Conversion Beamer
-Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon
-Extra Armor
-Carapace-Mounted Havok Launcher

---Heavy Support---

Legion Predator - 80 points
-Combi-bolter Pintle Mounted Weapon

---Lords of War---

Lorgar - 450 points
-Transfigured

Cor'Bax Utterblight, Daemon Prince of the Ruinstorm - 355 points
>>
>>43658943
>just as bloody savages as the WE
Not, not really at all. These are the World Eaters, their world is paint by numbers, the only brush is an axe, and the only color is blood.
>>
>>43658843
Not gonna lie, I really want to convert some Alpha Legion counts-as Kakophoni.
>>
>>43656377
I wonder if they'll eventually give Gal Vorbak-type units to all the traitor legions. By the time things hit Terra everyone was pretty daemonic.
>>
>>43654054
You paint your minis as Ultramarines, play them as AL.
>>
Why the fuck did the Iron Warriors start putting hazard striping on their armor after meeting up with Pert? Who the fuck thinks up the shit? Are the Polish?
>>
>>43659112
>By the time things hit Terra everyone was pretty daemonic
Literally only Sons of Horus and the god-specific legions.
>>
>>43659433
And of course Word Bearers
>>
>>43658943
Ok, so why did they go to such lengths to defend all those people, if they don't give a fuck? Why does their codex talk about them honoring Russ' vow to protect humanity and how they're the defenders of humanity?
>>
>>43656007
so should I use pride of the legion then?
>>
>>43659433
>literally only 2/3 of them
>>
>>43658943

There's a story in the 5E Sw codex of Bran Redmaw sending some Grey Hunters to help civilians evacuate from a planet being overrun by Tyranids when the Imperial high command's order were to forget about them. High command orders the surviving Grey Hunters to be stripped of their honors and instead Redmaw promotes them to his Wolf Guard.
>>
>>43659112

That is the plan I believe. Showing how the Legions changed over the course of the HH via new RoW (Such as in Book 6) and other things like the Daemon Primarchs getting rules and models.
>>
Everyone post your current go-to list. I'm starting out and I want an idea of what people generally bring in 30k.
>>
>>43660392
HQ-

- Archmagos Prime (Malagra, Cyber-Familiar, Rad Grenades, Augury Scanner, Chainfist, Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Machinator Array, Abeyant, Void Shield Harness)-310

Troops-

- 6x Thallax (2x Multi-Melta, Destructor, 6x Chainblades)-330

- 3x Castellax (Advanced Targeting Arrays)-360

- 20x thralls (Rite of Pure Thought, Carapace Armour)-194

Fast Attack-

- Avenger Strike Fighter (Battle Servitor Control)-165

- Avenger Strike Fighter (Battle Servitor Control)-165

Heavy Support-

- 6x Myrmidon Destructors (4x Volkite Culverin, 1x Irradiation Engine, Lord w/ Irradiation Engine)-435

Dedicated Transport-

- Triaros Armored Conveyor (Blessed Autosimulcara)-135

1999/2000
>>
>>43660392
Space Marine Legion- Raven Guard

Rite of War- Decapitation Strike

HQ-

- Praetor (Iron Halo, Paragon Blade, Power Fist, Digital Lasers, Jump Pack)-205

- Kaedes Nex-155

Troops

- 20x Tacticals (Nuncio-Vox, Legion Vexilla, Artificer Armor, Power Fist, CCW)-335

- 20x Tacticals (Nuncio-Vox, Legion Vexilla, Artificer Armor, Power Fist, CCW)-335

Elites-

- 2x Apothecary (2x Artificer Armor, 2x Augury Scanner)-120

- 5x Mor Deythan (5x Sniper Rifles)-150

- 3x Rapiers(3x Laser Destroyer)-165

Fast Attack-

- 10x Dark Furies-325

Heavy Support-

- Fire Raptor(Reaper Autocannons)-210

2000/2000
>>
>>43660083
Pretty sure the same codex has a case of SW coming across a planet on which they settle for some R&R with the native population. Of course it was a trap, but they didn't just come in killing everyone or exploiting them. They were invited to feast with the people. Doesn't sound like the actions of not-World Eaters who don't give a fuck about humans.
>>
>>43660369
Shame it means loyalists will probably fall to the wayside later on, but I guess I'd prefer that to the never ending heresy.
>>
>>43660667
Loyalists might get new primarch weapons, at least Dorn had a sword at the siege of Terra and not a chainsword. Sigismund will get new rules/model by the end of it surely.
>>
>>43660742

"Emperor's Champion: You couldn't beat Sigi before this, so when a challenge is declared you simply roll over and die without rolling"
>>
>>43660392
Space Marine Alpha Legion

RoW Pride of the Legion

HQ-

- Autilon Skorr - 125 points (warlord)

- Centurion Librarian, Artificer Armour, Refractor field, ML3, Force Axe - 155 points

Troops-

10 Legion Terminators (vanilla armour), combi-bolters, powerswords, Banestrike bolter rounds - 345 points

10 Legion Terminators (vanilla armour), combi-bolters, powerswords, Banestrike bolter rounds - 345 points

9 Legion Terminators (vanilla armour), combi-bolters, powerswords, Banestrike bolter rounds - 315 points

Elites-

- 3 Rapier weapon batteries, laser destroyers - 165 points

- 3 Rapier weapon batteries, laser destroyers - 165 points

Heavy support-

-Legion Vindicator, Laser Destroyer, combi-bolter - 135 points

-Legion Vindicator, combi-bolter - 125 points

-Legion Vindicator, combi-bolter - 125 points

Termy marine mulching force. Termies always infiltrate either due to Alpha Legion rules or from the Warlord choosing the Master of Ambush trait.
>>
>>43660843
2k points btw
>>
>>43660425
>Archmagos Prime (Malagra, Cyber-Familiar, Rad Grenades, Augury Scanner, Chainfist, Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Machinator Array, Abeyant, Void Shield Harness)-310

What exactly does all of that shit do?
>>
>>43660843

Been awhile; I thought you could only get to ML2?
>>
What're the differences between vanilla and cataphract termie armor?
>>
>>43661053
nope you can take up to 3 levels, but you can only draw from a single psycic discipline.
>>
>>43661072
5++ & Relentless vs 4++ & Slow and Purposeful.
>>
>>43661113

Thanks. Nice that there's not a blatantly superior choice.
>>
>>43661072
cataphract gives you SnP but a 4++ instead of 5++. So no overwatch or running.

Funny enough, because of SnP you can attach an IC to a Heavy weapon squad of artillery squad to let them move & shoot.
>>
>>43660392
---HQ---

Sigismund - 230 points

Alexis Polux - 165 points

---Troops---

(20) Phalanx Warder Squad - 420 points
-4 Thunder Hammers
-Thunder Hammer for Veteran Sargent
-Artificer Armor for Veteran Sargent
-Melta Bombs for Veteran Sargent

(20) Phalanx Warder Squad - 420 points
-4 Thunder Hammers
-Thunder Hammer for Veteran Sargent
-Artificer Armor for Veteran Sargent
-Melta Bombs for Veteran Sargent

---Elites---

(5) Legion Terminator Squad - 290 points
-Cataphractii Terminator Armor
-Thunder Hammers for everyone
-Vigil Pattern Storm Shields for everyone
-Teleportation Transponder

(8) Templar Brethren - 295 points
-Combat Shields for everyone
-Chapter Champion has Power Fist

---Dedicated Transports---

Phalanx Warder Squads

Spartan Assault Tank - 340 points
-Laser Destroyers
-Armored Ceramite
-Flare Shield

Spartan Assault Tank - 340 points
-Lascannons
-Armored Ceramite
-Flare Shield
Would like to hear any suggestions for this I am making this offa some old IF marines I got my hands on. Keep in mind that the Brethren don't need a transport vehicle because they are the guys I chose to be deep striked by Alexis' special ability.
>>
>>43661182
No, you can't, that's explicitly mentioned as being not possible in the cataphract wargear entry.
>>
>>43661090
No, ML2 is the maximum since the red book came out.
>>
>>43661288
Oh if you don't know, the Rite of War I am obviously using is the Fists' very own "The Stone Gauntlet". 2500 points. Can take off one big Phalanx Warder Squad/Spartan and add more to Templar Brethren for a 2000 point army. Can add more Templars and Rogal Dorn himself for a 3000 point army.
>>
>>43661288
With the Phalanx Warder Squads, are you just leaving the majority of the squad with boltguns?
>>
>>43661503
After I have used all available heavy upgrade slots on Thunder Hammers, and since Power Axes don't get anything from their Shield Wall ability, yes it's mostly bolt pistol + shield with five peeps having thunder hammers + shield.
>>
>>43661452
Really? Is the pdf is the OP the outdated one then?
>>
>>43661019
It makes the Archmagos into Punchmagos, invincible blender of HQ's.

And the Void Shield Harness stops s5 and below shots from harassing him and his Myrmidon bodyguard.

He ends up being t6 w4 2+3++ IWND and having 5 mastercrafted chainfist (with preferred enemy+monster hunter, and reducing enemy toughness by 1) swings, with 2 extra armorbane shred power axe swings as well. If he sees a t6+ multiwound dude, he pulls out the Paragon Blade and stabs them in the junk.

Basically, it makes him into a smashfucker-equivalent. But slower and more durable.
>>
>>43661548
>don't get anything from their Shield Wall ability
If you're putting them in spartans you probably won't be using shield wall much anyway really.
>>
>>43661556
HH1:betrayal is outdated.

You need Crusade Army List.
>>
>>43661581
Spartans are there as much for heavy support as they are dedicated transports. Starting the shield wall at the get go isn't the best idea. Even the vikings used horses to travel before getting off them and starting their shield walls. Once the Phalanx are out of the Spartans and the shield wall has started, the Spartan itself becomes a heavily armored version of a Lascannon/Rapier Battery and a Heavy Bolter team put together.
>>
>>43661558
>invincible

Anon pls, he is good but for 300pts hes like worse than a primarch and Sigismund's bitch, he isnt invincible.
>>
I'm thinking of something like this:

Strike Captain Alvarex Maun [145]
Cameleoline
Decapitation Strike

Moritat Prime Kaedes Nex [155]

3x
Legion Tactical Squad [260]
20 man
Vexilla
[780]

Mor Deythan Strike Squad [580]
10 men
10 combi weapons
Darkwing Storm Eagle
Extra Armour

Dark Fury Assault Squad [325]
10 men

Darkwing Storm Eagle [285]
Extra Armour

Fire Raptor Gunship [230]
Armoured Ceramite
Reaper Autocannon battery

>>
>>43653941
Is there rules for the hex game and is it good?
>>
>>43661695
I can see it working well against melee lists then but vs a ranged oriented list your marines might get roasted if they aren't charging into a combat.
>>
>>43654013
>28 mm base.

Just for clarification, are you guys to referring to the actual diameter for the bases or the scale of minis they're intended for?
>>
>>43661853
There's only a few eh pictures of the rule book floating around, but I can give you a summary from memory if you'd like. Haven't gotten a chance to actually play it yet, but it looks solid enough, even if it's simple compared to some board games.
>>
>>43661937
Actual diameter. GW has traditionally had space marines be mounted on 28mm bases, but started switching them to 32mm ones, to better represent their size compared to normal sized people and fit some of their poses better, a year or so ago.
>>
>>43661709
Well, 270. 40 of that is the harness.

And while he can't beat Siggy or a primarch, he can beat anything else besides that, and i might as well have him be decked out if I need to take an Archmagos. Nothing like waddling over and beating the shit out of HQ's, sarges, Dreads, MC's, and the like.

I play 30k and 40k games with him. He can skullfuck most HQ choices.
>>
>>43661937
>>43662001

Space marines are 28mm scale, and used to stand on 25mm bases. They currently stand on 32mm bases. I'm not sure what you meant.
>>
>>43662001
Oh that make sense, canonically most of the space marine and aliens are bigger then than humans so it makes sense to adjust the base sizes. That said even the imperial guard seem to be drifting towards ' heroic scale' of late.
>>
>>43661918
That can be done, too. Despite being almost all melee pretty much the set-up is pretty versatile in how it can be deployed. The idea's to have the Phalanx out and shield wall during the best time and in the best way possible. This can even mean not being in the Spartan to start off if need be.

Even then, those Spartans are assault vehicles that have Extra Armor, Armored Ceramite, and Flare Shield. They can last longer than a Land Raider usually, with those it can last that much longer.
>>
>>43661974
Summary is cool
>>
>>43662041
Yeah, brain flub, I meant they used to be on 25mm.
>>
>>43662041
>>43662086
Are so the actual diameter of the bases as increased 6mm. I'll have to check that out, old current bases were quite small but that's still quite a jump.
>>
When does book 6 come out? Do we know?
>>
>>43662211
February at the HH Weekender and for the public shortly after. Unless it gets delayed.
>>
>>43662211
February.
>>
>>43660392
Alpha Legion. I try to play 3k whenever possible.

HQ

Chaplain (182)
-Cataphractii armor
-Thunder hammer, power dagger
-combi-melta
-Void Shield Harness

Exodus (115)

Troops

Assault Squad (358)
-15 men
-3 power weapons
-combat shield on sarge

Assault Squad (355)
-15 men
-3 power weapons

Tactical Squad (185)
-10 men, rhino

Elites

Grave Wardens (515)
-5 men, 5 chainfists
-LR proteus with augury web, TLHB, multimelta

Fast Attack

Javelin Attack Speeder (95)
-Lascannons, multimelta

Primaris-Lightning (235)
-2 pairs of krakens
-1 phosphex cluster
-tank hunters and strafing run

Heavy Support

Fire Raptor (210)
-Reaper battery

Predator Squadron (220)
2x Executioners

Whirlwind Scorpius (115)

LoW

Alpharius (415)
-RoW: Coils of the Hydra
>>
>>43662174
I have all my 30k Space Marines on 32mm bases. Standing next to my Solar Auxilia on 25mm bases, they look more imposing even though they're not that much bigger.
>>
>>43662256

How well's this work for you? Particularly the Grave Wardens.
>>
>>43662275
True it's just it breaks the inch by inch default convention when estimating distances.
>>
>>43662314
Why estimate distances? You can just premeasure.
>>
File: IMAG0409.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0409.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
>>43662285
Not many 30k players at my store, so I've only played one guy with it - I'm 2-0-1 against him, though. I love the Grave Wardens, half because they're amazing models, half because they're hardy as hell. I infiltrate them with the Chaplain, then 10 krak grenades and a melta destroy rear armor. They're hard to kill, and draw a huge amount of firepower - which helps the rest of my army get into position.
>>
>>43662384

Damn, nice paintscheme there.
>>
>>43662086
You're going to have to give me a minute. 4chan just ate my reply.
>>
>>43662461
I'm patient, sucks that happened bro
>>
File: IMG_0194.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0194.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>43654054
I find Death Guard are probably the easiest legion to paint (though arguably Iron Warriors are).

I seriously used a total of 5 colours and 1 wash on these guys.
>>
>>43662673
and I think they look awesome. I'm kinda mad about GW switching to 32mm though because now it feels weird whenever I see marines (including my own) on the tiny ones.
>>
When are they gonna release Thousand Sons dammit I am getting impatient as fuck about them :(
>>
>>43663024

Next year, at the earliest.
>>
>>43663024

Prospero
>>
File: Ultramarine_Terminator_Squad_1.gif (31 KB, 500x248) Image search: [Google]
Ultramarine_Terminator_Squad_1.gif
31 KB, 500x248
>>43662754
how do you think old players feel about their terminators?
>>
>>43662368
Yeah and you pretty much have to away it just triggers my autism not been able to go say one inch equals one trooper.
>>
>>43663054
As an old player with 2k points of metal marines...I don't even want to play them anymore.
>>
>>43663142
It's not that hard rebasing the miniatures. You just cut the lip off of the 25mm base with some clippers and glue it on top of the 32mm. Then just flock around the remaining part of the 32mm base.

Or just get some 25mm to 32mm base ring adapters.
>>
>>43661742
Huh. Eerily similar to
>>43660462
>>
>>43662595
Alright, take 2, going to be multiple posts just in case, since I'm phone posting and can't save it anywhere.

So, the basis of the game is playing one of the scenarios that are provided in the book. They tell you how to set up the tiles and tokens, what your objective is, and what models each side has to use. For example, the first mission uses three of the tiles and 3 blast door tokens, each player has 10 veteran tactical marines, which are deployed very close to each other, and both players are trying to get to the other side of the board before the blast doors close.
>>
>>43663047
Why the fuck do they work sooo slowly.

Can't they afford to employ more people yet?
>>
>>43663495

They're working on four armies for Prospero, TS, SW, Custodes, and Sisters.
>>
>>43663054
Last I checked they actually sell for a fair bit still.

So, pretty good I guess.
>>
>>43663427
All the provided models have special stat cards that tell you there Armor, Stamina, Shoot, and Melee values, along with special rules, with the dreadnought's being a little different. The backs of the generic units also includes how you can outfit the models in the unit, lightning claws for the termies, a combi-weapon for the veteran sergeant, etc., the dread's has more special rules, and the two other characters having 'wounded' sides.

The shoot and melee values are how many dice you roll when a model of that type attacks, Armor is how many dice you ro to defend yourself when that model is targeted with an attack, and Stamina is how many 'unsaved' wounds have to be left after rolling armor to kill that model. Damage is like Magic, where once that attack is done, any damage done to it that wouldn't kill it is discarded. So, if my terminator has Stamina 4, my opponent has to roll at least 4 Hits during a single attack to kill it.

The dice have Hit, Crit, Shield, and Blank facings. A blank is a blank, a hit is 1 hit in an attack, a crit is also a hit, but so long as you rolled at least one crit you can use one of the critical effects of a weapon that was used to make that attack, and a shield rolled by someone rolling their armor negates one hit.
>>
>>43663620
Along with the stat cards there is a small deck of cards for each player, one ultramarine and one WB, that can be used during the game for special advantages, like immediately activating a second unit, or negating an attack. However, you won't have all the cards available to you. Each scenario details whether or not you start with a card in your hand and whether it's a specific one or a random one, then tells you how many random cards to use to make your deck for the game, usually 6 or so. You'll normally draw a card every round, and some missions end if one player runs out of cards to draw.

Each Hex one the board has a Capacity of 3 Bulk. Each model has a bulk per its size, power armor is 1, terminator is 2, and the dreadnought is 3. This means you can have at most 3 models in a hex, but two termies can't share a hex and the dreadnought has to be by itself. This is important because each Hex with models in it is 1 Unit for game purposes. These units are free-form, able to be broken up or formed as models move. At the start of each Round, all current units recieve 2 Tactical Points, which are used to do actions. An unit with no tactical points can't activate that round, and once all tactical points are gone the round ends and a new one begins, unless the mission would end there.

Staring with the player who has initiative, determined by the scenario, each player activates a unit with at least one tactical point left and performs an action with that unit. However, each activation can only include 1 action, even if the unit has two tactical points left. Once one player runs out of units with tactical points, the other player gets to use all his remaining points.
>>
>>43663942
Actions include Move, Run, Shoot, Assualt, and one other thing, plus any scenario specific ones. Move let's you move up.to 2 hexes, shoot lets you make a ranges attack against a visible enemy, assault lets you make a melee attack against an adjacent or one hex away enemy, and run lets you move several, althoughI don't remember how many.

As for attacks, I need to correct myself. Shooting attacks roll dice based on the guns being shot, models only have a melee attack value.

Anyway, when you declare an attack with an activated unit, you roll dice equal to the total of all firing weapons, or the total number of dice shown for melee attacks.

As an example, we've got a unit of 3 tactical marines firing on a sjingle marine. If all three of our dudes our wielding bolters, we'd roll 6 dice for the attack, as bolters each roll 2 dice. If we had an assault cannon we'd roll 6 dice, plus any other guns that were in that unit.

Melee weapons instead add dice to the pool you roll. All weapons have some sort of critical effect that you can choose to apply if you roll critical hits. However, while you can choose the effect of any weapon that was used for that attack, you can only use 1 effect per attack. So, in our example above, if any of our six dice came up as Critical Hits we could choose to apply the Bolter's critical effect to the attack, which is to make them lose a tactical point. If any of our models had a melta gun, and we were within 2 hexes we could instead choose to make the first model hit count its Armor as being 0.
>>
>>43664574
Going to stop there for tonight. I'll check one of our store's rulebooks during lunch tomorrow to see if I missed or fucked up anything major.
>>
>>43654303
>lol, why the fuck would I want to be play gay edgy batman vampire marines.
>They are nearly as bad as fucking Space Yiffs.

Sorry to hear this anon. I encourage you to read the Night Lords Omnibus and discover that the NL edge meme is a /tg/ fabrication.
>>
>>43654616
>but they wear dead people on their armour

Every traitor warband has marines that do this. Loyalists wear skulls, etc. on their armor. And if a winged skull turns you off, 40k might not be the right game for you. It honestly sounds like you just need to hate something.
>>
>>43654647
Please dont use AoS models on an HH table. Im not discouraging creativity, but HH isnt the place for something like that.
>>
>>43664739
But I thought every legion could be summarized into one meme-filled sentence each.
>>
>>43664574
>>43663942
>>43663620
>>43663427
Thanks bro.
>>
>>43658317
Which colour to prime it with then? White?
>>
>>43664950

Yellow?
>>
>>43661853

BaC rules arent very good. The dice are silly, the combat rules are similar to Space Hulk, with a bit more depth. The missions are simple and uninteresting. The HQ characters are snap fit and disappointing, the Contemptor is disappointing, the Termis and the Tac Marines are great. Good buy for $150 though, I got two for $117 each.
>>
>>43664739
>fabrication
I suggest you read things that aren't penned by ADB.

NLs are vintage edge. From a time before crying about edginess was a thing.
>>
just to be sure, imperial knights can take all their usual options from their 40k book right?
>>
>>43664991
>$117
How?
>>
>>43665076
the magic of internet resellers I assume?
>>
>>43665035

>trying to convince anon his choice of canon source is wrong

insufferable fatass detected
>>
>>43664961
Ohhh... Thanks on your kind advice, I've never even considered doing that.
>>
>>43665076

There are multiple online discount sellers that are easy to find and available to everyone. If you are paying full retail for anything its because you want to. 20% off is standard.
>>
>>43664991
Same here, tried pre-ordering from GW directly, they don't ship to my country, got it instead from the local store with 25$ discount. I may even order another one.
>>
>>43665337

If you look up strikingscorpion82 on youtube, he has an Imperial Fist tutorial using yellow spray.
>>
>>43665306
faggots in glass houses, anon
>>
>>43663250

Heh. Well, that's Legion fluff and RoW for you I guess.
>>
>>43665414
Youre the one talking trash about what I like. Whats your problem man? I hate edge as much as the next guy, and I just wanted to paint lightning bolts on power armor. So I chose to go with the ADB version of NL, and you cant stop yourself from shitting on my choices?
Sweet life anon, Im sure youre a swell guy. Its obvious.
>>
>>43664574
Move lets you go one hex, run lets you go two. Terminators and the dread can shoot after a "move", and if an enemy is in an adjacent tile you can't run or shoot.
>>
>>43665662
Sounds too complicated. I'll probably just bin the board gamey bits and paint all the marines as Space Wolves.
>>
How do we make Iron Warriors better/make hammer of olympia usable?
>>
>>43666138
Hammer of Oympia is okay if you are playing bigger games. If it needed any inprovement, couldve just removed the troop tax and limited you to only one fast attack choice
>>
How good are Autocannons in the Horus Heresy? I have intentions of filling out my Iron Hands list with Heavy Weapon squads and I'm choosing between AutoCannons, Missile Launchers and Lascannons. Note that I'm going for versatility, as opposed to specialising too much
>>
>>43666327
missiles launchers are usually the choice for versatility
>>
>>43656315
Legion ALWAYS goes on left shoulder pad unless it's studded. Then it's right with tactical markings on shin/knee/helmet/etc or both on the same pad. There are a lot of variations but that covers most of it. Left shoulder so the enemy sees your colors, right so friendlies/commanders can see squads and designations for coordination.
>>
>>43666566
Does this apply to all legions or just Raven Guard?
>>
No matter how I put my lists together, I always seem to lack stuff to deal with the stupidly durable high-AV vehicles found in 30k. Even a single flare-shielded AC Spartan is next to unstoppable, double so with the footslogging infantry/dreadnought force I prefer. Anyone else have similar experiences?
>>
>>43654047
??
>>
>>43665070
I think they can only take the options presented in book 4, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>43668553
Elaborate, anon. A single vague question like that is not enough to answer your question. What legion? What cargo? What RoW, if any? In what battlefield role? Attack plane that can also bring some troops along or dedicated assault air transport that can also provide some fire support? At which point limit? As the only flyer or as part of a flying force? What other units do you field? Do you have anything worth transporting? How many AA guns does your opponents field on average?
>>
>>43668587
There's no need to be a dick to him anon
>>
>>43668630
That's not being a dick, especially by 4chan standards
>>
>>43668656
>it's now ok to be passive-aggressive towards people
neo-/tg/ is real
>>
>>43664950

White, yellow, bone, light brown, even red works well. Yellow is extremely transparent so you have to think about what look you're going for. Red will obviously result in a more orange look, bone aged, white very bright, brown a little muted but still warm etc.
>>
>>43668664
What part was passive-aggressive exactly? Seems like an appropriate response to a vague question.
>>
What do we currently know about the rules for Blackshields, if anything?

Will you actaully be able to field an army of them or will they be more like a small deathwatch force?
>>
>>43668664
>asking someone to elaborate on his their vague question in order to provide an answer is now considered passive-aggressive dickishness
Man, you are weird.
>>
>>43668927
Like Victory in Vengeance?
>>
>>43668971
whoah stop oppressing hym with your aggressiveness

this is a safe space
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
>>43668630
Alright, enlighten me: What about my post was exactly dick-ish? I am genuinely curious, because I didn't consider anything about asking someone to clarify their question in order to, y'know, help them better, in any form incisive. But, hey, what do I know, maybe I should have replied with a blanket statement like: "Ya, is good. Buy many!". While untrue, maybe that wouldn't have rustled your jimmies as much?
>>
>>43669013
If you can't answer a question it's better to not respond at all. Never answer with a question.
>>
Alright, I am new to this game and I have a few questions for my Sons of Horus list:

1) Do I bother getting Justaerins rather than regular Cataphractii's? in either case, what is the best way to outfit them?
2) I noticed that a lot of the rules say "Unit may take" when it comes to weapons. Does that mean that you add that to their weapons, or do they have to swap a weapon to do so? It's just, in 40k, it always says if you have to swap it for something or not.
3) Are Reavers better taken for ranged or melee combat?
>>
File: 1.jpg (118 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
118 KB, 600x450
>>43669089
Different anon, but who is dickish and idiot now? No answer is better than ill-informed answer. Would you give an answer to "what is that?" question? Without asking to elaborate or more information? Then the original anon who asked would forever wonder why would none answer his question. Damn son you stupid.
>>
>>43669089
Technically, by the RAW, he didn't answer with a question. He answered "please elaborate", and after that made questions to show what kind of information he is after.
>>
>>43669218
>>43669268
semantics
>>
Considering Salamanders for the contents of the box. Here's my idea:

- Preator in Cataphractii Terminator with Combi-Melta and Chainfist
- Chaplain in Artificer Armour with Plasma Pistol
- 5 Cataphractii Terminators with a Reaper Autocannon, 1x Chainfist, 4x Power fist
- 20 Tactical Marines with Bolter, Sergeant with Bolter
- 5 Tactical Support with Flamer
- 5 Tactical Support with Meltagun
- Contemptor Dreadnough with Multi-Melta & Power Fist

Opinions?
>>
>>43669155
>Sons of Horus
Being a Son of Horus is suffering, I hope you are prepared for that.
- Justaerin are overcosted like woah. They have some nice buffs and the neat multimelta option, but none of those are worth the increased price tag. Trust me on this, I've tried to make them work, but they refuse to. Stick to Legion Terminators.
- You are correct, 'may take' means in addition to all other gear. Otherwise it'd be 'replace'.
- Reavers are weird, to be honest. They want to be ranged *and* melee, but the game doesn't really favor such generalist approaches. They can shoot well enough, fight well enough and are mobile enough, but you'll pay dearly for all. It's best to have a decent idea what to do with them beforehand. I've had some success with large units equipped with banestrike bolters and jump packs. With Outflank and DS they can threaten most of the board, Relentless allows for boltguns nd melee to work in conjunction, and Assassin's Eye can be used to put the wammy on support characters. If one has the points to spare, combi-plasmas are a sensible upgrade. A barrage of 30 Relentless plasma shots followed by a charge by 15 reavers will leave a mark.
>>
Imperial Fists are the only Legion who can take 40k-esque assault termies w/ deepstrike and TH/SS, but are they are slightly more expensive at 50 points a model.

Are they actually worth it in 30k?

I'm deciding what legion to play and I like termies, but I'm torn between the MEQ rape of Alpha legion w/ banestrike rounds and the teleporty hammersmashing of IF.
>>
>>43669431
Salamanders can as well.
>>
>>43669401
>Relentless
You know it's Jet-packs that give relentless, not Jump-packs right?
>>
>>43669387
>no heavy flamer on the cataphracti
Go back to Nocturne, brother, you are obviously drunk.
In all seriousness, outside of the odd reaper AC (which isn't in the box anyway) it's a decent list, but you are aware that the box only contains 3 meltas and 3 flamers, right?
Also, for the time being you need to split your tacs in two sqauds of 10 or take a RoW that makes termies into Troops, otherwise your list is not legal.
>>
>>43669445
I know but I don't want to play lizard legion. And they can't DS can they?
>>
>>43655951
You make a good choice brother, however, >>43656007 isn't entirely right. Take their RoW, it's pretty damn good and then fill your non-compulsory troop slots with heavy support squads of 5 and laugh at your enemies menacingly.
>>
>>43669448
...I didn't. Well, fuck, the entire store has played that wrong for several years now. Christ, I am stupid.
Alright, disregard anything I said, I obviously suck cocks.
>>
>>43669462
Yeah, I'm aware of the issues you mentioned. Going to order some extra weapons from Forgeworld.

On that Heavy Flamer, it would be fluffy to play it with a flamer, so maybe I will.
>>
>>43669472
Hmmm, I think they can if you don't use their Rite of War. But still, I can understand you wanting to play Fists.
>>
>>43669523
>the entire store has played that wrong for several years now.
To be fair, I think relentless on Marine units does need to be a lot more common.

Currently the only unit that seems to have it are Death company so they can keep their bolters and still charge.

In my opinion Crusader Squads in 40k, Gal Vorbak in 30k, Reaver squads and probably a few others should really have relentless too.

>>43669555
>>43669431
Yeah, but the more I look at it the shitter Fists termies seem.

For 5 points more / model Salamanders get +1 wound and +1 WS, 5 points!!! I know against other termies in melee it doesn't really matter as they are S8 anyway, but with TH/SS termies, small arms fire is you're worst enemy more than anything as the invlun deters big weapons.
>>
Are Imperial Fist Sniper Veterns good enough to spam them as troops choices?

15 points / model for a BS5 Rending boltgun sounds awesome.
>>
>>43669672
I've been considering that myself. I don't know if spamming them is a good idea, but if you're already going pride of the legion, it seems like a pretty nifty idea.
>>
>>43669376
You started it
>>
Going to use them to start up another legion. I want to go with Loyalists since I already have Deathguard.

Not sure which one though. I am leadning towards Ultramarines or Imperial Fists.
>>
>>43669795
They feel really well costed compared to 40k and I like the idea of them being just as effective vs marines as they are vs MC's, but spending 250 points on 10 MEQ and a rhino feels quite risky.
>>
>>43669923
In my experience, IF tend to be one of the best shooting legions, bring lots of Breachers.
>>
>>43662384
How many Wardens to you field?
>>
>>43669555
The deep strike restriction is only for their unique RoW, which is fine, since you'd have to go Orbital Assault in order to give them Deep Strike.
>>
Painting AL termines in camouflage,

yay or nay?

I feel like having a big coherent looking legion with AL doesn't really make much sense.
>>
>>43670066
Then you haven't read their FW write up. The hiding and subterfuge and Alpharius bit is only done by half the legion. The other half acts as the 'face' with very visible formations, bright colors, lots of symbolism and heraldry, all so the enemy can learn them just as the entire thing is changed the next day.
>>
>>43669974
It's either that or 250 for 20 MEQ on their feet.

>>43669985
How does anyone actually get breachers to work? They're so fucking expensive and have nothing to justify the cost. Am I missing something? If hardened armor worked on all saves and not just armor, I could see it, but how many AP4+ blasts do people even take?
>>
>>43666327
I love Auto Cannons, I have a squad of 10 in my Deathguard army. They have not failed to make their points back yet.
>>
>>43666327
We're hardly back in the days of infiltrating tank hunter autocannon havocs, but they're still a solid choice.
>>
>>43669985
I wonder how the UM sword and board marines would do.
>>
>>43668656
I thought it was a reasonable post...
>>
Granted there's no any support for Dark Angels at the moment, I came up with this army that seems Dark Angel-ish. Meant to be a combination of a Deathwing and a Ravenwing detachment. Has all the Terminators, Bikes, and Plasma a Dark Angel crew should have. It's at 1919 points right now. Not sure what to add. Would two drop pods be enough to carry all those terminators? Or should I just bump it to a 2500 point army and grab two Spartans for the Terminators?

Rite of War: Pride Of The Legion

1919 points

---HQ---

Legion Praetor - 187 points
-Volkite Charger
-Paragon Blade
-Digital-Lasers
-Iron Halo

Legion Centurion - 145 points
-Moritat
-Volkite Serpenta
-Plasma Pistol
-Artificer Armor
-Refractor Shield
-Jump Pack

---Troops---

(10) Legion Terminator Squad - 411 points
-Reaper Autocannon
-Plasma Blaster
-8 Volkite Chargers

(10) Legion Terminator Squad - 411 points
-Reaper Autocannon
-Plasma Blaster
-8 Volkite Chargers

---Fast Attack---

(10) Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron - 425 points
-3 Plasma Cannons

(5) Legion Land Speeder Squadron - 340 points
-4 Graviton Guns
-1 Plasma Cannon
>>
>>43671142
Deathwing and Ravenwing styles came well after the heresy. They had no fixation with bikes, terminators, or plasma weapons until after they blew themselves up. Also, I would seriously caution against moritats with plasma pistols after the FAQ. It's not worth it. Moreover, your moritat is going to die immediately to incidental weapons, the land speeders will probably vaporize (on account of being land speeders), and you'll never capture any objective with footslogging terminators. You should also probably pray that there's no medusas or typhon(s?), as you'll lose 200 points of troops per shot.
>>
>>43671260
Post-FAQ Moritat still works with Plasma Pistol. Just shoot with the Volkite Serpenta first.

>Deathwing and Ravenwing styles came well after the heresy.
Sort of. The Moritat's originally a Ravenwing thing isn't it?

>the land speeders will probably vaporize (on account of being land speeders)
Are the landspeeders that awful?

>you'll never capture any objective with footslogging terminators. You should also probably pray that there's no medusas or typhon(s?), as you'll lose 200 points of troops per shot.
Well that's why I am asking. The list isn't complete. Can I take two drop pods to deep strike the Terminators? Or is it better if I take two Spartans?
>>
>>43671309
The Moritat is initially a Raven Guard thing. Khades Nex is the first Moritat.

The landspeeders aren't bad, but 1 squdron of them, as opposed to multiples, means that those 10 man autocannon squads can dump all of their AT fire into 1 unit with no wasted firepower. If you take Speeders, take multiple units of them.

RAW, you can't take Terminators in pods. you could do 5 in a Dreadclaw, or 10 in a kharybdis.

and the DA have placeholder legion rules- Stubborn without any downsides. They will get some more bonuses and negatives soon.
>>
>>43671309
The moritat still works with plasma pistols, but that doesn't mean that it is necessarily a good idea. In my opinion, it's a waste of points. You'd be better-off giving regular dudes plasma guns.

This guy >>43671580 is exactly right. I use land speeders in 40k and I love them. However, they can be killed by absolutely anything. The key is to have too many of them, in addition to too many other things. A tac squad can kill a land speeder with bolters, but very few things can kill three teams of two. Just make sure to have other, similar threats or 5-man heavy support teams are still going to be rather bad for you.

As for terminators, you're stuck with small squads in land raiders or larger squads in kharybdis or spartans. You could also consider using the Fists legion rules until DA come out. They can take deep strike on all their terminator squads for 15 points and on their ICs for 10.
>>
>>43671580
*sigh I'll just wait then. The only legions that have rules that are among my favorite at the moment are Imperial Fists and Word Bearers. Blood Angels, Darks Angels, and Thousand Sons when? They promised Prospero by the end of 2015 but book 6 isn't even out yet forget Book 7/Prospero!
>>
>>43671309
All three wings predate the heresy and are confirmed to be in their rules for the next Forgeworld book.
>>
>>43671739
My main list is >>43661288 no shit I fucking love Imperial Fists and their Shield AND Deep Strike Termies. But I guess I'll just wait for Dark Angels to actually have rules and stick to Fists for now.
>>
Why would you want plastic models for a board game?
>>
>>43671873
As opposed to what? Single piece metals? Resin? Plastic is perfect for what they're doing.

Which is selling more Space Marines and a little thing to go along with them. They know what's up, all the FW bundles assume you're only making 1 army out of the stuff.
>>
>>43671795
Ah, cool. How do the phalanx squads work for you, anyway? I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the breacher squads/phalanx squads to be worth their points compared to endless waves of tac squads. They both just seem so damn overcosted and I'm not sure if the T5 is worth it (except possibly on termies that can now take FnP against power fists).
>>
>>43671142
I like where your head is at, but... Play this army as counts as DA until we have rules. You should use IF rules, then and only then will you get that sweet DA feel.
>>
>>43672153
>>43671739
I played 2k pts put in Siggy as Farith Redloss. Took 2 units of sword brethen (or was it 3), 2 heavy weapon squads and a Stormlord. It was a fast game. +1Bs on the Stormlord for 25pts is great.
>>
File: valedictor2.jpg (79 KB, 625x401) Image search: [Google]
valedictor2.jpg
79 KB, 625x401
How hipster would I be if I'd make Valedictor as my Pre-Heresy army?
>>
>>43672098
Well, there are a few things you gotta realize about the Phalanx. First is to never equip them with Power Axes cuz then the Shield Wall's +1 initiative becomes useless. Second, while the shield wall ability is cool as shit, you still need to transport them and form the shield wall in the right place. Placement is a big factor. That's why I have the Spartan Assault Tanks. While it may seem a bit redundant to have dedicated transports for the Phalanx considering the shield wall, the best way to get the most out of them is to quickly get them to the best place to form it, then when you're close enough make the enemy feel uncomfortable as fuck with the shield wall. Sure I have two big 20 man squads, but they aren't to be played like how endless tac squad horde is. They need to be played with skillfull placement.

>>43672153
I know if I use IF rules I could make it do next level shit, but I didn't wanna use those. But you know what? Since the only DA rules at the moment are stubborn and an overpriced relic, I might as well use the Termie deep strike IF rule at least since that's a DA thing to do. Run two bike squads instead of bike and landspeeder and it all works as something DA.
>>
>>43654303
>Might just hold off until we have rules for Dark Angels and Thousand Sons though.

Is there any timeline for that?
>>
>>43672543
I can see how you would use them, but I don't see how I could justify the points cost. The troop tax is huge and the cost per model is unreasonably high for what they give (as far as I can tell). The initiative bonus is kinda neat, as are defensive grenades, but that doesn't do much if you just shoot them with bullets. They're functionally just tactical marines in that regard, just a lot more expensive. Breacher squads have the same problem. It does seem silly to buy a spartan for them, but I do get that they need to be able to move around. I just don't see what you get out of them that you can't get out of just accepting your legion and throwing everyone inside a fortification and bombarding your opponent with artillery. I'm considering picking up a macro cannon battery just for that purpose. It seems a lot more effective and a lot fluffier than a bunch of overpriced dudes who don't really want to be in cover and therefore don't use half of your legion rule.
>>
File: shit u.png (787 KB, 818x546) Image search: [Google]
shit u.png
787 KB, 818x546
>>43653941
It's not often I advocate using general images on account of them becoming a battered old meme in need of vitalisation, but this is one of them. Use this, we don't need to see an advert for the product on entering the thread.
>>
>>43657928
That's actually pretty similar to a list I made a while back, to use with old Beasts of Chaos models. The chief difference is I made my list initially to 1750pts, then realise that I had no anti air. Being a weak list is one thing but guaranteed non-effectuallity against a possible target is another. So I included a Thunderbolt fighter, which I represent with a dragon model.

Force Commander 50
- Feral Warriors 35
- Abhuman Helots 35
- Power Fist 15
- Melta Bombs 5
- Digital Lasers 5
- Cyber-familiar 10
- Iron Halo 15
- Planetary Overlord 20
190pts

5 Discipline Masters 100
- 5 Melta Bombs 25
125pts

2 Discipline Masters 40pts

Militia Infantry Squad 50
- Blade & Fury 25
- Vexilla 10
- Auxilia Pistols 0
- Power Axe 5
90pts

Militia Infantry Squad 50
- Blade & Fury 25
- Vexilla 10
- Auxilia Pistols 0
- Power Axe 5
90pts

Inducted Levy Squad 40
- Blade & Fury 25
- 30 Levy Auxiliaries 60
- Vexilla 10
- Auxilia Pistols 0
- Discipline Collars 10
145pts

Militia Grenadier Squad 65
- Blade & Fury 25
- 8 Grenadiers 40
- Power Axe 5
- Augmented Weapons 15
- Flamer Grenadier 10
- Meltagun Grenadier 15
175pts

Militia Grenadier Squad 65
- Blade & Fury 25
- 8 Grenadiers 40
- Power Axe 5
- Augmented Weapons 15
- Flamer Grenadier 10
- Meltagun Grenadier 15
175pts

Medicae Detachment 40
- 1 Medicae Orderly 10
50pts

Ogryn/Brute/Hulk Squad 120
- 3 Brutes 105
- Carapace Armour 25
- Close Combat Weapon 10
- 3 Power Axes 60
- Combat Shield 5
- Boarding Shield 10
335pts

Ogryn/Brute/Hulk Squad 120
- 3 Brutes 105
- Carapace Armour 25
- Close Combat Weapon 10
- 3 Power Axes 60
- Combat Shield 5
- Boarding Shield 10
335pts

Thunderbolt/Wyvern 200
- G-tracking Auguries 10
- Flare Shield 20
- Sunfury Missiles 20
250pts

2000pts
>>
>>43660843
It's called Tartaros armour. I'd sincerely reccommend mixing the weapons up in Terminator squads if you can. You never know quite who will bog you down in combat and for how long. Ranged units can pick and choose so mono-weapon makes sense, but inverse tat for melee.
>>
>>43672704
Im sorry for your thread autism
>>
>>43661019
It's a shame another anon has spoonfed you, because the correct response is read the fucking book. Seriously, if you're not doing this already then what are you doing here. When I first joined these threads and I saw tonnes of new and weird wargear and Mechanicus shit, my thought was "holy smokes I have to get up to date with this", not "someone tell me".
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.