[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We always have threads about That Guy and terrible players. Have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: manly_tears.jpg (18 KB, 244x320) Image search: [Google]
manly_tears.jpg
18 KB, 244x320
We always have threads about That Guy and terrible players. Have you ever had a moment where you've been proud of your players?
>>
>>43652367
Last session. A player of mine was cursed with the Winter Queen's harp and had a month to research as much as he could before throwing a ball in her honor...

...a ball to celebrate his trial and appointment as her Knight.

The group did beautifully, finding the perfect beer, food, and facts to keep him on the material. Got lucky and did everything they could, including a paintoff, deadly rubix cube, and dance of blades.
>>
File: nqhfnib.png (220 KB, 429x376) Image search: [Google]
nqhfnib.png
220 KB, 429x376
>PTU
>I roll to seduce the BBEG with my skill of 3d6
>You sure? you need an 18 to succeed
>DO IT
>nat 18
>BBEG's face when she succeeds

I was never so happy about being derailed
>>
>>43652367
>first enemy of campaign
>crazy guy on an island full of cultists
>they capture him to learn more about him and the cultists instead of killing him
>>
File: index.jpg (13 KB, 233x217) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13 KB, 233x217
>Players end up in Hell because of reasons
>Decide to go Dante's Inferno and head to the 9th circle to escape
>Fight their way through multiple levels of nightmares
>Arrive in Cocytus battered, bloodied and traumatised
>Satan is so impressed by their tenacity he offers them a bargain
>Give the players the Prisoner's Dilemma- if they betray their comrades they can escape, if they don't they may be damned forever
>Have each player write their answer in secret with no conferring and give to me
>Open and read
>Every single one says in some manner "I will not betray my friends. No deal."
>mfw my players all chose to damn themselves rather than betray the party

I've never been more proud to be a GM than at that moment. They all got out of Hell in the end btw.
>>
File: Cestreetear.jpg (84 KB, 388x287) Image search: [Google]
Cestreetear.jpg
84 KB, 388x287
>Near the end of a long arc set in a foreign land, the party goes into an cave controlled by yugoloths
>Expecting them to just treat it like a normal dungeon since it was just supposed to be a short side quest, and expecting them to finish the six chambers in less than two hours.
>The players really get into the atmosphere, and start getting scared
>The rogue scout goes ahead, discovers a Nycaloth without getting spotted, and then returns back
>They're all level 10, so a CR 9 nycaloth isn't supposed to be that scary, but they all react to it almost as if the rogue was describing a Balor
>They flee from the cave, and decide that they're going to need help.
>They spend the rest of the session revisiting NPCs they've met, trying to convince them to join them, and effectively going through a recap of the entire arc
>After a wide variety of roleplaying, including the group convincing one guy to bury the hatchet and ask an NPC he had fought against to join the group, they assemble a team of their favorite NPCs
>At the next game, they lead everyone to the dungeon, which I ended up expanding from a short sidequest into the final dungeon of the arc during the interval between sessions

Thanks to them, that random nycaloth went from being a speed bump and wound up turning into a memorable final battle just through their sheer enthusiasm towards it (and no one looking through the monster manual to see its challenge rating).
>>
File: tumblr_nsl7qpLBl01rljnzyo3_500.jpg (45 KB, 500x277) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsl7qpLBl01rljnzyo3_500.jpg
45 KB, 500x277
>JoJo Campaign
>Player has been very non violent most of the sessions
>Been saved by the actions of the Joestar so far.
>The Joestar get injury/poisoned and isn't able to continue to fight the villain of the campaign.
>Villain isn't a stand user but someone "blessed" with the power of the stone.
>All seems lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFjE5A4UAJI
>The player calls forth their stand and rolls a 100
>FlyingVampire.jpeg
>ORA's so hard inflicts 2 wounds and end the dude through 2 sets of walls.

This felt like one of the most JoJo moments I have ever had in the campaign. It was beautiful.
>>
>>43653471
Wait, the player was a nonviolent PC with a punchghost stand? How'd that work?
>>
>Player want to play as monster race.
>Cyclops Paladin
>This is going to be awful, damn it
>mfw players actually roleplay perfectly
>Literally kills no one but the BBEG due to him being a paladin and not wanting to be seen as a monster.
>Only killed the BBEG after trying to talk him down failed.
>BBEG is giant floating demon head.
>Paladin calls out his gods name, asks to be blessed in exorcising this demon.
>Stab with holy blessed sword.
>Nat 20,Succeeds crit roll
>Max damage
>Demon fucking destroyed, doesn't even get sent back to hell, soul removed from existance.
>In the end, Cyclops Paladin became high ranking member of his order.
>>
>>43653616
>Bonus story
>Minion of BBEG is harassing cyclops
>Cyclops ignores him
>Minion threatens to stab him
>"Go Ahead"
>Stabbed through chest, not even trying to dodge.
>1 damage
>"Does that make you feel better?"
>>
>>43652367
Once, one of them cancelled well ahead of time because they had managed to get a date.
>>
File: Did you get all that?.gif (4 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
Did you get all that?.gif
4 MB, 480x270
>>43653471
Holy shit i'm also running a JoJo campaign, i'll share my story.

>PCs car breaks down and they need a spare tire
>Encounter a guy who offers them one in exchange for playing any game of their choosing, provided it's mostly a game of chance
>His ability is to effect the probability of outcomes on anything he touches (of course, they don't know this)
>First person loses to him in a game of war and gets his soul taken, like a Darby type deal
>Second PC steps up and also loses his soul
>Third PC steps up
>Challenges him to the truest game of chance, candy land
>Has an NPC party member deal the cards
>Proceed to narrate a game of candy land almost in its entirety
>PC's stand ability is to control his bones, and can transfer his stand into any bone that he can make contact with
>Reveals that he has been controlling the NPC dealer since two sessions ago when he touched one of his bones, and so he had control over what cards were dealt to who
>He defeats the gambler, getting back his friends souls as well as the tire
>They drive off into the distance, session ends
>Cue "Odds Are" by Barenaked Ladies

It was great. I've been trying to get my players to think more like Jojo characters with ridiculous plans and foresight, and this was definitely one of the best examples of that.
>>
Shadowrun. Players were doing a run on a cyberwear corp. They needed to get inside to scope the place out. They don't brute force in. Don't bribe anyone. Don't try to ust hack all of the information out (which, to be fair, can be perfectly viable options).

They got a meeting with the board of executives to discuss investing in a proposed company that would, through clever loan options which they would profit on, move customers from cyberwear to higher level bioware. It was only story reasons that stopped them from just starting the company.
>>
>>43655421
>Barenaked Ladies
Good taste
>>
>>43655490
> It was only story reasons that stopped them from just starting the company.
You disappoint me, anon
>>
>>43652367

Long ago, I had a group that adopted considerable personal shame and fled their homeland to avert a very probable civil war.

Both for the lateral thinking angle, and for the self-sacrifice angle, I'm really proud of them.
>>
File: 1386626235217.gif (455 KB, 471x262) Image search: [Google]
1386626235217.gif
455 KB, 471x262
>Low power supers game
>Forgot to give players their transportation
>Player even drafted up a retrofitted armored car they would be using
>Spaced as fuck
>They roll with it
>"It's in the shop."
>"Doesn't it have a bunch of illegal mods on it?"
>"I know a guy."
>Proceed to just take cabs to where the baddie is for the rest of the session
>Cabbies are terrified but can't do shit about it
>Everyone's face

I just wish one of my players wasn't intolerable.
>>
>>43652367
>Three friends, we take turns GMing
>My turn, I'm a beginner so I make my character get imprisoned and falsely accused of murder
>Various political factions vying for power in the city
>One of them hires an assassin to dispose of the two players trying to free their friend
>The assassin finds them in a dark alley, fight ensues
>They barely beat him, but they don't kill him
>They tie him up, and instead of an interrogation, they talk to him about life choices and good and evil
>Assassin has an epiphany that he always wanted to be a hero, not a villain

They handled the situation in such an interesting way, it was pleasantly surprising - I expected them to just dump him somewhere or outright kill him.

I took a liking so much to this assassin that I made the BBEG capture the soul of my previous character and now I'm using him as my PC. He has since struck a pact with an Archfey, became CG, helped countless people, killed his previous assassin master who held him in a reign of terror, participated in rebuilding a community, and is on the spiritual path of redeeming himself for his past crimes.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.