[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it tacky or cliche to let the PC's become kings or otherwise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: King-Conan.jpg (65 KB, 1348x809) Image search: [Google]
King-Conan.jpg
65 KB, 1348x809
Is it tacky or cliche to let the PC's become kings or otherwise rise to an important position? Does it limit them too much to be taken out of the full-time murderhobo profession?
>>
>>43646045
yes
>>
>>43646045
no
>>
>>43646045
It's a good epilogue.
>>
>>43646045
if you don't want the adventure to end they could be given the position in the kingdom that grants them privileges that help them on their adventure
>>
File: GbxQ67E.png (350 KB, 522x613) Image search: [Google]
GbxQ67E.png
350 KB, 522x613
>>43646045
Kings? Very yes.

Pretty much anything beyond an honorary title can and should take time out of adventuring.
Otherwise what's the point? Fuck, we learnt this lesson in Elder Scrolls. Being the leader of places and then cut loose to adventure feels weird. If you're a leader you're supposed to lead.
You don't need to play that leading necessarily, maybe just some interesting key point. Time skips can be used.

Make them landowners, okay. They get a country house and like, two farms. All of which runs itself. Modest income and a bed they own.
Maybe a Barony for something big. Which is basically just the same thing but a manor and ten farms. And you should still have to do stuff related to it now and then. Goblins attacking your men? Do shit, hero. King called a muster? Half your men will go in the middle of harvest season. Wat do?
>>
>>43646045
>Does it limit them too much to be taken out of the full-time murderhobo profession?
Not necessarily. Provided they're ruling a fairly insignificant land, it may even help them in their murderhoboing.

Artemisia I was the queen of a minor city-state in Anatolia before she became a badass mercenary in Xerxes' navy.

Baron von Ungern-Sternberg conquered all of Mongolia, yet still lead his ragtag army of death cultists against the Soviets.
>>
One of my PCs, a warrior, at one point realized how little it actually mattered to be a very good, very dedicated warrior. It was one of those less heroic games where there wasn't simply a big bad you could slay to become a great hero remembered for the age, by all ages.

He was utterly dedicated to being the perfect warrior for many years. He fought and honed his skills, faced down any and all challenges, rose to great heights of swordsmanship and warrior prowess. And yet, all he saw was that regular people didn't give a shit. Certainly, they were impressed with him, found it really cool and awesome and all, but ultimately this stuff was so far removed from their ordinary lives that it had no meaning. He was a spectacle, a completely disregardable achievement. He saw many other warriors who had once been as he was, and now were nothing but old, forgotten veterans, or gravestones given token respect. A great warrior was someone who had to be different from regular masses, and yet the regular masses and their cares were what defined who actually got to be important. And he wanted to be important. It was bullshit that after all he had gone through there would be no reward.

So, realizing this shit, he changed his life. He abandoned the wandering warrior shtick, and found a fencing school in a big city. That was just to fund him, nothing more. But if nothing else, his incredible skill meant that he was at least recognized at this. The noble sons and rich fucks who wanted to gloat about how they'd been taught swordsmanship by the best were shits, but they paid well. And with that money, he slowly started getting into business.

Sadly, he was terrible at it. He had almost no practical skills and absolutely no mind for business. But ironically, even being a fumbling curiosity, a warrior whose businesses kept failing, made him more recognizable. In a twisted way, he found what he was looking for as a social curio of gatherings and parties. People, at least, remembered him.
>>
>>43646224
>Baron von Ungern-Sternberg conquered all of Mongolia, yet still lead his ragtag army of death cultists against the Soviets.
Wait, what? I feel like I missed something in history class.
>>
>>43646045
Short answer - King? Hell no, that just reeks of special snowflakeness.

Lord or Lady, given some land and being a minor noble of some sort? Yes.
>>
Speaking of, how do I give an ace pilot some closure? He's only good at fighting, but wants peace while also afraid of losing his only purpose and use in the world.
>>
>>43646312
Try going for something like >>43646290

Maybe he can open a civilian aviation school or something? "I was an unkillable fighter pilot with X number of succesful missions under my belt" is the kind of thing people care about.

Become the old veteran gazing into the glories of the past while staying at least somewhat relevant going into the future.
>>
File: The Mummy - Winston.jpg (73 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
The Mummy - Winston.jpg
73 KB, 500x280
>>43646312
He becomes a dissatisfied drunk in a frontier outpost, before dying gloriously in a battle against the forces of evil.
>>
File: 1425193553861.jpg (365 KB, 2464x1648) Image search: [Google]
1425193553861.jpg
365 KB, 2464x1648
>>43646290
>The great warrior ends his career as basically a sideshow oddity for rich, pompous assholes

That's fucking depressing.
>>
>>43646295
>he doesn't know the story of the last khan
>>
>>43646295
From the States?
Yeah, we miss much
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_von_Ungern-Sternberg
>>
>>43646365
>>43646358
I want to go down the Big Boss path, make a place where soldiers will always have a purpose even if that means being the villain and perpetuating war.
>>
>>43646560
Good fucking luck trying to pull that off in any even remotely grounded game not funded by Hideo Kojima's special brand of fantasy-laden insanity.
>>
File: starfighters of adumar.jpg (215 KB, 463x800) Image search: [Google]
starfighters of adumar.jpg
215 KB, 463x800
>>43646312
On one of his missions, he runs into the girl of his dreams. They hook up and a few years down the road, they settle down and have kids. He's got a new purpose in life now, and that's to learn how to become a kickass parent.

Until peacetime goes to shit and he's forced back on the front lines, anyway.
>>
File: Baron von Ungern-Sternberg.jpg (287 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
Baron von Ungern-Sternberg.jpg
287 KB, 800x500
>>43646487
>last
His Manchu princess waifu was never found after he was killed.

It's likely that he has an heir alive today somewhere, biding his time to shed the blood of communists in the name of unspeakable ancient gods.
>>
If there's something I've learned from browsing /tg/, it's that people are generally more interested in running a management sim than roleplaying, based on all the threads where people just disregard adventure and start abusing the badly thought out economic system to create a trade empire and/or take over the kingdom.
>>
Kings are more a fit for an epic campaign.

Simply a lord, the leader of a bandit company or trade guild, the owner of a fine martial arts dojo or an accomplished Wizard with his library and tower are great for those characters who 'make it'.
>>
>>43646224
I love how everybody talks about Artemisia these days, but nobody remembered she existed before Eva Green's tits were associated with her.
>>
My character became king at the end of the heroic campaign and when we continued it into paragon he was still both king and an adventurer. My DM didn't really introduce any consequences into this but we worked on a revolving DM system, so when I DMed my session I made it so that all of my character's extreme irresponsibilities in leading a country catch up to him and the kingdom comes pretty close to collapse.
>>
>>43647526
and?
>>
>>43646714
Its for a conclusion to a character, you know when the party splits and goes their separate ways
>>
>>43646085
This. Great way to end a campaign.
>>
>>43646045
Two years into my current campaign and if things continue at this pace there'll be three more gone before its over. With the shit theyve gone through any who survive will be among the gods.

In my opinion, final conflict/epilogue only, and who cares if its cliché or tacky at that point? as long as everyone's having fun.
>>
It's a good way to segue into a new style of campaign if that's what your players want. I did a campaign that led players up through the ranks starting as young officers and ending up as politicians and generals. Early stages were swashbuckling adventure, latter stages were dark politiciking and spending of lives.

It's not a case of 'shit/not shit'. Sometimes it's right and sometimes it isn't. And of course, it depends on what's fun.
>>
File: dc68794030754d521589153a5d4607f7.jpg (1024 KB, 792x1122) Image search: [Google]
dc68794030754d521589153a5d4607f7.jpg
1024 KB, 792x1122
Does being a mortal monarch matter at all as a maximum-level D&D PC, when that level is the point wherein PCs tackle multiversal overlords like archfiends and archfey?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.