[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can there be such a thing as a fantasy setting where the "physics"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1442745650839.png (321 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1442745650839.png
321 KB, 600x800
Can there be such a thing as a fantasy setting where the "physics" of the world and combat are gritty and realistic, and power levels and magical abilities are likewise very low, but the setting itself is bright and optimistic and the attitudes of the NPCs match this tone? The PCs are still (low-powered) heroes who are all the braver for risking their lives in extremely dangerous combat and coming out on top.

Somewhat like the reverse of, say, Exalted, which is very high-powered (at least for the PCs) yet has a very bleak and grim setting with NPC attitudes that match such a tone.
>>
>>43637404
You mean like Legends of the Wulin?
>>
>>43637404
This is pretty much what I'm currently working on as my homebrew project. I aim for a rather nobledark setting, where the world in itself isn't a happy and safe place, but the common people who live in there strive towards good deeds, and changing the world into a better place.
>>
File: 1436915918067.png (2 MB, 806x1361) Image search: [Google]
1436915918067.png
2 MB, 806x1361
>>43637431

Legends of the Wulin is not a low-powered, gritty, or realistic game by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>43637404
so what would be the point of conflict? What makes stories happen? Is it low fantasy enough that monsters are rare?
>>
>>43637404
>Can there be such a thing as a fantasy setting where the "physics" of the world and combat are gritty and realistic, and power levels and magical abilities are likewise very low, but the setting itself is bright and optimistic and the attitudes of the NPCs match this tone? The PCs are still (low-powered) heroes who are all the braver for risking their lives in extremely dangerous combat and coming out on top.
Get Rhand morningstar mission and change setting
>>
If you take a grimdark fantasy setting and remove or limit: diseases, famine/other disasters and war, then it gets pretty bright. Just leave the bloodthirsty beasts which need to be slain by the noble adventurers to ensure everything remains nice and shiny.
>>
>>43637404
So.. low fantasy elves?
>>
>>43637404
So GURPS with a light hearted setting?
>>
>>43637404
I think what you're looking for falls in the "Nobledark" category of things. Shit sucks (or is at least tempered by lack of profound magic or ability), but that means the people who do stand up and push for change are all the more awesome for it.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Noblebright
>>
>>43637436
>>43638848
Nobledark settings are still usually very bleak.
>>
>>43637588
clash of ideals? both parties believe their in the right and refuse to comprise or something like that.
>>
>>43637404
what op is describing is basically touhou but with everyone being weak as fuck instead of op as fuck. not sure of any game that does that, but theoretically gurps can.
>>
>>43637404
Absolutely. Just pick any standard gritty system, and then don't make your setting full of random backstabbing, ubiquitous villains, impoverished peasant villages three feet deep in dung and plague, war, and oppressive tyrants who would be replaced by someone twice as bad in a revolution.
>>
>>43637588
Doesn't mean there can't be villains.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.