[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What y'all think of Axis & Allies? Any good stories?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8
File: aae_map.jpg (387 KB, 1280x849) Image search: [Google]
aae_map.jpg
387 KB, 1280x849
What y'all think of Axis & Allies?
Any good stories?
>>
File: AAP_MAP.jpg (163 KB, 1188x796) Image search: [Google]
AAP_MAP.jpg
163 KB, 1188x796
bump
>>
>>43610831
Allies almost always seem to win when I play.

US player in my grouop (he trades with whoever is playing US specifically so he can be America, and if you don't trade places with him he moves around US pieces anyway) is almost always a dumbass and invades Spain and Turkey first chance he gets, causing all neutral nations to declare war on him, and London usually falls... yet Russia is so fucking overpowered Allies win anyway.

I got Australia (ANZACS) three times in a row last times we played and no one would trade places with me. Australia kinda sucks, you don't get to attack much, just sit back and hope Japan doesn't rape you (they're too busy losing against the fucking Chinese and Russians to care about you).

Hell, we did one where The Russians sent all their troops to Africa to fuck Italy (tactical suicide, for anyone who doesn't know, Russia needs to be raping Nazis) and Allies still won.

This game is a dumb joke.
>>
File: IMG_2323.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2323.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>43610831
I one-shotted my friends the first time I played Germany without having any units on England. I suicided my subs to attack England's homefleet, beat them and rolled my tanks into battle. I then built all my reinforcements on England. The US tried to dig me out but it turns out even when you don't have any units on a land it is still yours. My friends refused to talk to me for a good fifteen minutes.
>>
File: disdain for plebs.jpg (26 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
disdain for plebs.jpg
26 KB, 400x462
>>43611229
>Not playing the global version
>>
>>43611265
It is a global version. Like I said, I got Australia 3 times in a row.
>>
>>43610831
The game isn't terrible, but it IS about three times longer than it should be for it's depth.
>>
Playing the Global 1940 Second Edition.
Italy Tank spamming in Ethiopia, always getting blessed dice and close to taking over Africa. Thankfully Germany and Japan has thinned out troop-wise and are on the brink of defeat. My buddy though insists that you can attack in waves instead of all at once. Anyone know the rule about that?
>>
>>43610831
>be Japan
>kick Pearl Harbour in the nuts
>have genius idea of moving fleet back west to avoid Murrican retaliation
>save glorious Japanese fleet
>Murricans take undefended Japanese motherland instead
Just call me Admiral Baka.
>>
File: smilinghitler.jpg (68 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
smilinghitler.jpg
68 KB, 500x708
>>43610831

>> Playing as Nahtzees.
>> My first time playing, my opponent's 12th time playing.
>> Getting my ass kicked.
>> Risk everything on a desperate gamble into the caucuses.
>> It works. Russia loses the bulk of it army as my tanks plow through.
>> mfw I still lose, but only after conquering all of Russia.
>>
>>43611229
>Allies almost always seem to win when I play.
When I played (6-8 years ago?), we usually called the game after either germany or UK were lost. The early game is critical; allies' production is a huge advantage if they can hold out long enough.

We had our share of axis victories, but they tended to rely on germany being smart/lucky by beating russia while still leaving enough troops in Europe to survive D-day, or somehow managing to out-ocean UK and take their capital. Usually that means balanced purchases and knowing exactly how much they need to fight russia, instead of just putting all their money in tanks and planes at them.
>>
File: aag-huge.jpg (3 MB, 3000x1104) Image search: [Google]
aag-huge.jpg
3 MB, 3000x1104
Big axis and allies fan. Me and my friend have been playing for the past 6 years.
We've sunked so many hours in all the versions it's unreal. Our favourite is global 1940.

Because bigger is better.
>>
>>43611236
>not always doing a suicide run on the Royal Navy turn one
Seriously, you can fuck up their shit royally by doing that, and it means the brits can't do the old "suicide run on Germany" trick, to get rid of a turn of production.
>>
I was raised playing this game with my dad who has the original version. considering I was 6 and he's a military lawyer, I'd get my ass kicked every time over and over and over again.

then I decided to play it with some friends and completely devastated them. good times man.
>>
>>43614241
My worst experience in 1940 was amazing.
>11th turn
>Axis is barely winning
>USA needs to intervene in Europe but Japan is being an annoying brat.
> USA makes a ballsy move and brings everything it can muster on Japan
> Attack should fail. Japan is well defended with good navy. Odds are in my favour by a landslide.
> Roll 11d6 that are suppose to hit on 4 or lower.
>Not hits.
> Roll cruiser. Nothing
>Roll destroyer and aircraft carrier 1 hit.
> USA rolls for it's fleet 2x smaller than Japan.
>everything hits. EVERYTHING.
>USA wipes Japan's fleet in 2 attack turns. >drops on Japan who only has 2 infantry defending
>Japan cannot retake it's capital even though they manage to take India 2 turns before and are almost taking out Sydney.
> USA drops all it's economic might on the europe front.
>GG
>>
>>43614317
It was literally my first time playing Germany and it was only the second time it had been attempted in the group's 5 years of playing A&A
>>
>>43614501
Good for you, though IIRC you can't build in territories you conquered that turn.
>>
File: DSCF0608.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0608.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
`Glad I got my hands on the 50th anniversary edition while it was below 200$.
Most balanced of all the axis and allies.

This shit costs a fortune to get now.
>>
>>43610831
My first game.

>Playing the US
>The Nazis get V2 Rockets in their first turn and bombs the shit out of London
>Great Britain crippled throughout the whole game and Russia on its own to defend against the Nazis
>Japan however never clearly commits to a clear strategy and can't take neither China nor India from the severely handicapped Great Britain
>This makes them a non-issue and I focus all production on my Atlantic fleet
>Arrive just in time before Russia drops and D Day in France
>With all forces united the allies finally take Berlin and the bombardment stops
>After this Germany gets crushed on all fronts
>Japan is still a non-issue and falls as soon as Europe is safe

It was a tense game and the Axis had a better start, but that doesn't help if one of the Axis player don't know how to build up pressure.
>>
>>43614520
One fun thing is that our normal Axis player is Japanese. He fucking campaigns to always play them. He's kinda canny but always falls back into turtling.
>>
File: DSCF1197.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1197.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
>>43614241
needed a fucking ping pong table to play that shit.
So goddamn big.
>>
>>43610831
My computer dies. I have some money, but not enough for a replacement. A local game convention has an A&A tourney with $100 cash prize. I 'forget' to mention it to my besty who always kicks my ass at A&A. I go. I win. Now I can get my computer replaced.
>>
>>43610831
I am not okay with those province borders.

Seriously, why does no boardgame ever have somewhat accurate borders? Grinds my gears desu
>>
>>43610831
Story:
>We were playing Axis and Allies
>6 hours later we were still playing
>bored to death, gave up and went to bed
>played an actual good boardgame next time
>>
>>43615857
More accurate than other versions.
>>
>>43610831
If you're just hankerin for WW2 strategy game stories, I can link you a few Hearts of Iron AARs.
>>
>>43616402
Sure.
>>
>>43615857
Well it's easy to see from game stand point. Sometimes historical accuracy needs to take a backseat to gameplay or else the Axis would never win.
>>
>>43616727

Here are the best 3 I've got that haven't fallen victim to forum reorganization, image host failure, or lack of ending.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-kinder-gentler-germany-avoiding-war-for-fun-and-profit.613700/

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/3r1v07/on_the_brink_of_destruction_finale_world/cwk6gps

https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/3s1x21/army_of_the_future_the_uneasy_peace/cwtb10v
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.