[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible for a game to still work when a player is dating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8
File: what have I gotten myself into.jpg (58 KB, 570x551) Image search: [Google]
what have I gotten myself into.jpg
58 KB, 570x551
Is it possible for a game to still work when a player is dating the GM?
I accidentally scheduled date night and game night for the same time and gave my players the choice of skipping the week or me inviting my GF to play a dropin. Most of them said invite her along. She's played with most of them before (I was a PC, not the GM last time we all played together).

I don't want to fuck this up for her OR my regulars. Any advice or anecdotes from games you've GM'd, played in, or observed?
>>
>>43609855
generally if you do any cutesy couple shit it's poor form and will make everyone else at the table gag, unless you're all good friends with each other.

If she's somewhat experienced, everyone's gonna be too caught up roleplaying to give a shit. If anyone flirts OOC feel free to call them out on it though.
>>
>>43609855
Well, if it's her first time and she's usually not into the stuff, treat her like a new player, and go a little easy on her. If she's done it before, give her a tiny bit of a bigger spotlight to get her into the group, then treat her like a normal player.
>>
>>43609855
Just treat her like a regular player and have her treat you like a regular GM and it's fine. Problems only occur when she gets special treatment.
>>
Just play the game like you normally would and don't be an autist.
>>
>>43609855
I did with two separate girlfriends and never had any problems, provided two things:
- she wants to play on her own
- you treat her the same as everyone else.
If none of the people are retarded about it, there's no problems.
>>
>>43609855
Invite her then have a kobold horde capture then rape and kill (in any order) her character and tell her to get the fuck out or your boyz will do the same to her. Bros b4 hoes, bro.
>>
Remember the rule:

If you bring a fuck partner to the game, you have to share with the group. You wouldn't buy a pizza and not expect anyone at the table have a slice. Same rule applies.
>>
>>43609949
Get away from my pizza, you cheap nigger. Bring your own food. I frequently bring my own pizza.

This is why I don't play with poorfags. Thankfully everyone in my group is an adult and capable of feeding themselves and don't mooch off one another.
>>
>>43609855
Not giving preferential treatment is very simple, which isn't to say it's not difficult for some.
>>
>>43609949
Nobody eats my fucking pizza unless I get to eat theirs. By that account, nobody fucks my girlfriend unless I get to fuck theirs. Unless I'm feeling generous, but that's outside the rules.
>>
>>43609979
>hordes a whole pizza
>calls other cheep
This is why people hate fatties
>>
>>43609949
Nobody gets to fuck my pizza unless they pay up
>>
>>43609949
False equivalence, you inbred chode
>>
>>43610095
>False equivalence

Says who?
>>
File: 1384170673694.jpg (46 KB, 479x720) Image search: [Google]
1384170673694.jpg
46 KB, 479x720
>>43610084
>>43610033
>>43609979
>social game
>eating a large social dish, made to share
>hordes it
This is why you need to put a "No Autistic Need Apply" in recruitment
>>
>>43609949
Jesus Christ anon I'm not gonna fuck her at the table, not even comparable
>>
>>43609855
>Is it possible for a game to still work when a player is dating the GM?
there's nothing inherent about this situation to say that there will be any issue. just very few examples.
>>
>>43609855

My wife is going to DM for me and and a few friends of mine. We've never gotten to play together before, and she volunteered to DM for us. Her first campaign is going to be Out of the Abyss. Here's hoping she can handle it.
>>
>>43610131
>I'm not gonna fuck her at the table

Wait, why not?
>>
>>43610122
>eating a large social dish, made to share
You do know "family size" is not the only size pizza comes in, right?
>>
>>43610185
And you understand that even a small pizza is cut into slices to share right?
I'll just guess you whoof it down you fucking porker
>>
>>43610147

She'll do fine anon. It's a published DnD Next adventure, so the bar is pretty low to start with.
>>
>>43610185

American detected.
>>
>>43610185
It's still pretty rude to eat in front of someone.
Like were you raised without social ques?
This post makes more sense >>43610122 Go post frogs.

>>43610225
Nah, even as an American it sounds gluttonous and rude
>>
>>43610152
because then according to some of you I'd have to share, and I'm not a filthy kekold
>>
>>43610270
Well then don't bring her.
>>
>>43610206
You do know most food is divided into smaller pieces before you stuff it in your mouth, right?
>>
>>43610225
No, nameshit retard, you see, Americans are the fat ones, the ones who buy "super size" and "family size" even if it's not for sharing.
>>
>>43610319
not in murrica
>>
File: Canada.png (148 KB, 403x584) Image search: [Google]
Canada.png
148 KB, 403x584
>>43609855
As a GM, I've let my girlfriend play in my games. Generally there's no problems, but then again, I try not to date the kind of person who would cause problems at the table. As long as you don't play favorites, everyone will be chill probably.

The real trouble is avoiding accidentally spoliering the campaign on days when we hang out and happen to talk about the last session. That can absolutely ruin a session, not necessarily for the other players, but for her.

I also can't talk to her about potential campagin ideas anymore, since there's a chance she'll be a player. Which is kind of annoying because it's helpful to have someone to bounce ideas off of.
>>
>>43609891
Pretty much this
My GMs gf plays with us and it werks.
>>
>>43610372
I know that feel
>Step 1: Have nobody to talk with about my campaign plans and bounce ideas off of
>Step 2: Find somebody interested in tabletop enough to listen to me
>Step 3: Immediately invite them to the game and have them play
>Step 4: Realise I can't spoil shit for them
>Step 5: Wonder why I don't have anyone to talk with about my campaign plans and bounce ideas off of
God dammit I hate myself. Can't talk to /tg/ either, as one of my players regularly browses and another drops in every now and then.
>>
>>43610509
I solve that by leaving what happens pretty much entirely up to what players do. They seem to respond well to this sort of responsive world that grows organically out from their decisions, and I am less married to any particular outcome so there's almost never any railroading.
It might sound hard, but you just have to do your prepwork in a slightly different mentality. I probably spend less time prepping per session when I don't have a particular agenda and just make rough sketches of a couple of ways things might go depending on likely player decisions.
>>
>>43610509
That's why you have to drop false leads on /tg/ occasionally. I do it to my players all the time, it really fucks with them when they they've got advanced intel on who the BBEG is.
>>
>>43609949
You aren't getting a slice of my pizza unless you buy it from me.
>>
>>43610206
It's cut into slices so you don't have to hold the whole thing up to your face.
>>
>>43610834
>You aren't getting a slice of my pizza unless you buy it from me.

Here we usually barter slices with different toppings.
Then again, I don't expect people on /tg/ to know how to properly handle a pizza.

>inb4 deep dish
>>
>pizza autism

Why are the only options here "eat a whole pizza your self" or "give out free pizza." It's pretty fucking normal to order one for the group and all throw in equally.
>>
>>43612081
Communist detected
>>
>>43609855
If she's legitimately into RPGs it should work. If she's just there to be with you it will be a disaster.

Personal experience on the second one. My first real gf made a character in the first campaign I DM'd. She was the prototypical DM's Girlfriend, and it actually caused problems because I didn't fudge dice for her or anyone else. Sweet girl otherwise but it was a relief when she stopped coming to games.
>>
File: hiiips.jpg (28 KB, 413x334) Image search: [Google]
hiiips.jpg
28 KB, 413x334
>>43609855
>Is it possible for a game to still work when a player is dating the GM?
No, unless she's been there from the begi--
>I accidentally scheduled date night and game night for the same time and gave my players the choice of skipping the week or me inviting my GF to play a dropin. Most of them said invite her along. She's played with most of them before (I was a PC, not the GM last time we all played together).
Please don't, it's rude as hell. Personally I've simply offered to start a gamel for my partner and had others join in later. It worked out well.

Partner drop-in is extremely impolite bullshit. Please just skip.
>>43612172
>and it actually caused problems because I didn't fudge dice for her or anyone else.
OUCH. Yep.
>>
File: College Girlfriend.jpg (131 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
College Girlfriend.jpg
131 KB, 500x368
>>43612129
>Buying pizza is Communism
>buying
>with money
>>
>>43609898
>Just treat her like a regular player and have her treat you like a regular GM and it's fine. Problems only occur when she gets special treatment.
Sadly >>43612172 this happens a lot for some reason.

It needn't happen, but without knowing OP we cannot KNOW if she won't be a problem.

GFs GMing is pretty okay though on the other hand.
>>
File: Maria-What.png (128 KB, 295x343) Image search: [Google]
Maria-What.png
128 KB, 295x343
>>43612190
>You have to be with a campaign from the beginning to join it

Any Gm worth their salt can incorporate a new player or a guest appearance. Adapation, and creativity are necessary skills.
>>
>>43612299
>Any Gm worth their salt can incorporate a new player or a guest appearance. Adapation, and creativity are necessary skills.
Well yes, I agree. These are not ideal or even decent conditions for it though.
>>
>>43609855
>She's played with most of them before
Why is everyone ignoring this and throwing in fifty conditionals? She knows the group, so it should be fine.

Just don't do anything stupid. The fact that you're worried about it should be enough to keep you on the right path.
>>
>>43612081
That's called polyamory, anon.
>>
>>43612190
>Partner drop-in is extremely impolite bullshit. Please just skip.
He had the players vote on it. They made the choice to invite her. How is this impolite?
>>
>>43612440
>He had the players vote on it. They made the choice to invite her. How is this impolite?
Wait, I missed that part. Still a bad idea IMHO, but y'know.
>>
No one has addressed the obvious question of how the GF feels about this. It's supposed to be date night, now she has to hang out with your sweaty friends for four hours and eat take away? Don't get me wrong she probably likes your friends but thats not a date. That's you bring fucking lazy and putting your hobby before the relationship

As for the vote I don't see why your players should get a fucking say other then "is it OK if she CHOOSES to drop in?" Ask your GF first for real nigger don't just assume she wants to game on what's supposed to be a private date night.
>>
>>43612327
Says who? Said GF has experience at RPGs with this group even, that tilts the balance of probability towards her being a reasonable player that can handle dropping in on campaign.

Story wise it's up to OP to make it work, but that's on him.

>>43612530
>That's you bring fucking lazy and putting your hobby before the relationship

Actually I'd say it's the other way around. It's a little bit rude for the GM of all people to have a scheduling conflict for a schedule they made themselves. But since the players were okay with it, whatever.
>>
>>43612587
It is, its rude to the players and its rude to your gf. But here's the question- which comes first?

Spoilers: bros before hoes only works on tv
>>
>>43610270
You're definitely a filthy kekold already, anon, what you MEAN is you don't want to become VOLUNTARILY so.

I've been in eleven groups over thirty years, and one thing I can promise you is that no woman chained to a dice-junkie is not getting fucked on the side by more socially appropriate opportunities any more than there are vegetarians who don't cheat with a Baconator every few weeks, when the itch gets down deep inside and sets 'em to quivering and throbbing in a way parsley guzzlers aren't going to fulfill.
>>
>>43612081
>That feeling when you realize you can't eat pizza anymore for health reason but you still by reflex want to order some for your friends.
>>
>>43609855
Used to run a Savage Worlds game my gf was a mystic in. Laughed when she rolled like shit and got mirked by a vampyr.
>>
File: 128940740978.png (330 KB, 368x386) Image search: [Google]
128940740978.png
330 KB, 368x386
>>43609949
>fuckers don't know about the Yours Is Ours rule
You're platinum anon, keep the rest of these fa/tg/uys informed.
>>
My DM's wife is in our game. Was never a problem because she is more like a bro then a girl and fits in with all the guys. Her character got to come back alive once after she died is the only special treatment she got. I used that to get my dude to come back to life too (DM ended the fight early, I had one death saving throw left and DM packed up the map and then I rolled a 20 and the DM didn't want to count it. But she got to come back for no reason so he had to let me).
>>
>>43610225
Dont fucking meme if you dont understand them you fuck
>>
>>43612213
>China and the Soviet Union never used money

I don't have a reaction image retarded enough so just go look in the mirror or something.
>>
>>43609979
>I frequently bring my own pizza.

How does this work? Do you stuff your fat disgusting face with greasy cheese and bread all night while ignoring the groaning pleas of mercy from your digestive system or do you just eat a few slices and then let it sit in the middle of the table slowly cooling and congealing into an inedible mass while everyone tries to work around it?
>>
>>43609949
If you can get in their pants go for it, but if you had to say that I really fucking doubt you're good enough. But by all means try.

There's only a flat no if you've got any STDs, but that's a given.
>>
>>43615124
Not that anon, but some stores sell almost hand sized pizzas as their 'small' pizza.
>>
>>43609855
As long as both you and her understand you're to treat her like a regular player you'll be fine.
>>
I run a game for my girlfriend and 3 of her friends every week. Works out fine. They're all on a team, right? So the way they see it, if she can manage to wheedle some extra loot or whatever out of me, then that's beneficial for all of them. But I always do my best to keep things basically fair for everyone, anyway. If someone doesn't have a lot of good items or whatever, I'll contrive a scenario where they get a chance to earn something.

Anecdote: don't do what one of my friends did and make a point of ensuring that everyone knows you're not favouring her. He was such a dick during gaming that they ended up getting divorced over it. They were both PCs, had formed an alliance of some sort, and then he backstabbed and raped her character. I mean, maybe there were other issues in the relationship, too, but she moved out that weekend, and to this day he insists that he did nothing wrong because "it was in character."
>>
>>43609855
>I accidentally scheduled date night and game night for the same time and gave my players the choice of skipping the week or me inviting my GF to play a dropin.

Fuck is wrong with you.

>>43615496
>They're all on a team, right? So the way they see it, if she can manage to wheedle some extra loot or whatever out of me, then that's beneficial for all of them.

And what the fuck is wrong with you in particular.
>>
>>43615496
>and then he backstabbed and raped her character. I mean, maybe there were other issues in the relationship, too, but she moved out that weekend, and to this day he insists that he did nothing wrong because "it was in character."
Yeah, maybe.
>>
>>43614488
>China and the Soviet Union being purely communist
Hell, in terms of Marxist ideology, they weren't even remotely communist (which is arguably at least partially because communism doesn't work so well in practice and turns into the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be, but still...).
>>
>>43609979
Worrying about your pizza because youll never have a fuck partner
>>
File: 200%_Rad.png (564 KB, 500x738) Image search: [Google]
200%_Rad.png
564 KB, 500x738
>>43610084
>Nobody gets to fuck my pizza unless they pay up
Made my night
>>
>>43613136
Just because you can't satisfy a woman doesn't mean nobody on /tg/ can.
>>
>>43615124
There's nothing wrong with cold pizza, if it's proper pizza.
>>
>>43613136
way to project there buddy.
>>
Assuming a lack of misogynerd or tumblr feminist stereotypes (if you have the former in your group, drama is inevitable; good luck), relationships only ruin groups when nepotism rears its ugly head.

Make it clear to your girlfriend that you can't give her any special treatment, since this is a night for everyone in the group to have fun, not just you two. Then make sure that you follow up on that claim.
>>
>people against splitting a pizza with friends

You guys need to get some friends that aren't in your D&D groups. Maybe when you're enjoying dinner at a friend's house, you'll start seeing more as a means of social bonding.
>>
>>43610131
Shit DM
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.