[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> they don't even know how most of their technology work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Techpriest2.jpg (101 KB, 556x880) Image search: [Google]
Techpriest2.jpg
101 KB, 556x880
> they don't even know how most of their technology work
why is this allowed?
>>
>>43590163

Emulating real life.
>>
>>43590163
More like low-rankers don't know how it works and just follow along with the holy books. As you get higher and higher in the organization, you learn the actual science behind stuff.

Arch-magi would certainly be geniuses in their specializations, but the gulf of knowledge between their current time and the dark age of technology is almost insurmountable, given the restrictions on research after the near-death of humanity.
>>
>why is this allowed?
I hate this meme. Like the "Excuse me" meme, its always accompanied by an incredibly stupid observation I guess is supposed to blow our minds.
>>
Everything got smashed.
We built a great library of knowledge and the knowledge came to life and we had to kill it. We used the corpse of the great library for a while but its remains ended up getting burned down a second time by the Horus Heresy.
>>
It isn't allowed, because it isn't true. But like /v/ doesn't play video games, /tg/ doesn't play traditional games. Or even read about them.
>>
>>43591179
its a low effort 'guaranteed replies' post.
>>
The old ones caused a near unrecoverable meltdown in the galaxy's collective psychic gestalt and then a million years later the eldar did it again, and now the whole place is haunted af and everyone who isn't on emergency measures 24/7 is going to get something horrible shoved inside their everything basically right away.

I don't know when you expect them to find time for a massive reverse engineering/education program.
>>
>>43590163

We are used to the "TV science guy" that can cook some kevlar with potato peels while he hacks the Pentagon with a rusty calculator. But people actually have little idea how things work. And I am not telling you about John Q Public thinking there are midgets on his TV . I mean scientific community. They use the "DON'T TOUCH THAT, OR YOU'LL ANGRY THE GODS INSIDE THE WHATEVER-METER" more than they'll admit. Machines are expensive, technicians are far and even more expensive, manuals are thick and lectures are misty, when not totally forgotten.

When you simply just cannot order a new machine, and the guy who knows how to repair it lives 2 subsectors away, you have to work with a lot of care.
>>
File: forging.png (283 KB, 492x761) Image search: [Google]
forging.png
283 KB, 492x761
>>43594665
>tfw the lab radio equipment is decades old and had to learn to repair it myself and make new parts because no one's made replacements in over ten years but they're too cheap to get newer equipment
I can see tech priests having issues like they're entire planet is centuries old and no one's even seen what an original part is supposed to look like and the manuals have long since become useless as kludges and fixes and bypasses evolved into a beast of their own with each person trying to teach the next guy in line how they navigated it but they at best only got like 50% of what they were telling them.
>>
>>43594952
Fortunately the tech priests have it easier on that front.

While they don't have the original blueprints, or the source of them... what they do have are ancient copies of copies of copies of the blueprints, painstakingly illuminated by hand and kept sacred by the generations who came before them.

When they need a particular part, they just look at the codex for the great page, and follow the ancient litany to recreate it.

Of course, differences will emerge on different worlds, when plans differ. So if you've got a tank made by the adepts of Crumyshithole III, and it throws a tread, you might find that only Crumyshithole III, Loserberg, and Hellfucker XII make treads which'll fit, and you're half the galaxy away from them.
>>
>>43594952
Avoiding this is exactly why the Imperium forbids technological innovation.
>>
>>43594952
I like to say that anyone who doesn't understand the idea of how rituals for turning on machine could develop has never played an NES.
>>
>>43591874
It's worse than that, it's indicative of the mentality of the current generation to appeal to a higher authority to solve all of the problems that lie before it for them.
Think about it who would allow or disallow creative thought in any setting? Who would see this and say "you're not allowed to do this"?
Worse yet it's also laziness on the part of the individual consumer where he depends on the will of the masses to curb anything that is wrong from the markets instead of doing it himself
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.