[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Dresden Files RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: Dresden Shit.png (352 KB, 385x520) Image search: [Google]
Dresden Shit.png
352 KB, 385x520
Any tips for someone who has never played before?
>>
Remember your four As.
>>
Holy shit there's an RPG??
>>
>>43586594
Yesssss
>>
File: 1248964599329.jpg (74 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
1248964599329.jpg
74 KB, 600x750
You live and die by the rule of cool.

Nothing is more important than creating the most amazing episode you possibly can.

Give characters hard choices.
>>
>>43586594

It has some significant problems, but overall it's a pretty fun system.

It tries a little too hard to blend a really loose, fast rule system (FATE) with an intensely crunchy, complicated magic system. The melding of the two is... imperfect.
>>
>>43586627
So far what we have done is make the city and our characters. We haven't figured out what all the npcs actually take
>>
> inb4 half-fae catboi

OP, if you've never played FATE before, know that it's rules-lite and puts a much heavier emphasis on collaborative storytelling, and almost no emphasis on "kill things, get stuff." Don't expect to be going wiggity wild with the fights.

Also of note: tags. Aspect tags are everything. Stack tags whenever possible. Take advantage of tags. If you notice a lot of tags getting stacked up against you, try to capitalize on them before your opponents can drop some seriously harsh damage on you.
>>
>>43587117
>Don't expect to be going wiggity wild with the fights.

Unless you're a spellcaster, in which case you can deal totally bullshit damage.
>>
>>43587117
>know that it's rules-lite

Not even a little.
>>
>>43587156
> not even a little

Spellcasting is the only complex part of the game, and most characters are not spellcasters. The rest of the game is not particularly crunchy. There are only a few mechanics which get used for most things.
>>
I ran a campaign for a few months, and if I do it again, I'll likely make one important houserule: I'll get rid of Weapon values.(Or possibly make armor and Toughness powers significantly more common)

The way weapon values work in this system (add the weapon value to your damage) tilts the optimal combat strategy away from "Maneuver until you can get a good hit" toward "Attack and end turn".

That change also does a lot to reign in the power of spellcasters. (Without it, they can acquire weapon values of 4-5 (equal or better than any man-portable mundane weapon) with literally zero character optimization)
>>
Are you playing a wizard or a normal person?
>>
>>43586171
Play someone fairly vanilla until you get a general feel for it, and try to adhere to the spirit of the setting.

Also, Why does Michael look like he's about to cry, and why does Harry look like he's utterly off his face?
Are they linked to why Karrin looks like she's more pissed off than usual?
>>
>>43588289
Yes.
I prefer a Lawful Stupid Warden myself.
>>
>>43586171

Be a Wizard. Or at least someone with some spell-casting ability.

It's like playing a Jedi in Star Wars. If you're playing the system, there's damn near no reason to play anything else.
>>
>>43588368
>Karin mad at the world and firing her gun randomly
>Michael is SAD, SAD ABOUT DEMONS
>Dresden high as a kite with no idea what he's casting

Isn't that just another Tuesday in Chicago?
>>
>>43588500
>>Every Dresden Files novel.
>>
>>43588368
>Also, Why does Michael look like he's about to cry, and why does Harry look like he's utterly off his face?Are they linked to why Karrin looks like she's more pissed off than usual?

>Dammit Billy, I thought we agreed this was confidential? When Murphy hears about this I'll point her to your way.
>>
>>43588500
Maybe Molly spilled the beans to Michael, explaining the sad, Harry desperately got wasted to delay the inevitable confrontation with Charity, and Karrin got lumbered looking after him, explaining everything else.
>>
>>43588414
Yes. Best class to play. Have a whole team of them!
>>
>>43589201
>a whole team of Morgan
Dear god
>>
>>43589201
>>43589349
This sounds really good. I really want to do this. It'd be like a constant positive feedback loop of insane paranoid zealotry.

It's like a party full of paladins, except less rules and you actually get to do stuff.
>>
>>43587156
>>43587265
There's a hell of a lot of work to create and remember tags and aspects for all the NPCs (and to remember all the PC ones to trigger them as appropriate) on the GM's side. Dresden Files was one of the worst FATE games in that regard, at least in it's first printing; it was too damn busy.
>>
File: 1442440452596.jpg (659 KB, 1800x1080) Image search: [Google]
1442440452596.jpg
659 KB, 1800x1080
>>
>>43589560
Who is the dude with the shotgun? Is it Martin the cockbag?
>>
>>43589640
I think it's supposed to be Thomas.
>>
File: Michael Carpenter.jpg (51 KB, 459x600) Image search: [Google]
Michael Carpenter.jpg
51 KB, 459x600
>>43589655
Where are his bitches? You can't do a picture of Thomas without the hordes of women lusting after his magical dong.
>>
>>43589560
>that glove
The little things make an amazing amount of difference
>>
>>43586171
Don't be afraid to fuck things up. In my experience, FATE is a pretty resilient system and the DFRPG can almost be played like a more fun D20 modern with some extra bells and whistles without losing any of the flavor.
>>
>>43589560
Sometimes I forget just how shitty this series is.
>>
>>43589560
they made molly super hot
good art
>>
>>43586171
wizards are OP
>>
>>43589840

To be fair, molly IS super hot.
>>
>>43586171
Can anyone upload the PDF please?
>>
>>43589893
I'd say she's pretty much the opposite of hot at the moment.
>>
File: Molly Carpenter.jpg (47 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
Molly Carpenter.jpg
47 KB, 375x500
>>43589893
>Dresden said no to this

No wonder he's sexually frustrated.
>>
>>43589893
Too hot.

Also holy shit there's a Dresden Files RPG? I need to play this.
>>
>>43589952
Well she is the winter princess.
>>43589956
Well he met her when she was just a little kid barely in middle school. Of course he would be a bit off put.
Anyway. He likes Murphy more.
>>
>>43589910
It is a pair of them. A world book and a player book.
>>
>>43589391
And a lot more varieties of magic. It is like Power Rangers meets Morgan!
>>
>>43589956

To be fair, that is an awesome cosplay, but Molly's tits are WAY bigger than that girl's.
>>
>>43590341
Isn't that the official model for Molly? I thought Priscilla Spencer was the one they used for that sexy calendar.
>>
>>43590395
They probably went with the fact that with 9/10 things got right, you can let the tits slide.
>>
File: dres_comp_drawing_final.jpg (681 KB, 1224x819) Image search: [Google]
dres_comp_drawing_final.jpg
681 KB, 1224x819
>>43590395
>that sexy calendar.
You have my interest
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.